The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The new Vandy coach will be...[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, in between tweets from Raoul, reports from The Tennessean, where does this position stand?Just this weekend,
I've heard:
- Ivey is staying in South Bend;
- Banghart has pulled her name out of consideration;
- White is interested but wants to coach the full WNBA season.

I think sometimes schools give the non-picked coaches a heads up, thus giving them a chance to pull their names, which looks better than not getting the job.

Reaction Score
" By accepting the position, White will head to Tennessee following the conclusion of the Indiana Fever season."
Fever's Stephanie White accepts Vanderbilt position
Vandy must have really really wanted White then. End of WNBA season could be as late as October 20th ~ About a month before Vandy first regular season game -17 November.

I bet she'll be there over the summer occasionally.
Plus aren't coaches somewhat limited in what they can do over the summer? Not a lot of contact with the players and recruits I believe.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think sometimes schools give the non-picked coaches a heads up, thus giving them a chance to pull their names, which looks better than not getting the job.

Yep. Happens all of the time in college football.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I bet she'll be there over the summer occasionally.
Plus aren't coaches somewhat limited in what they can do over the summer? Not a lot of contact with the players and recruits I believe.
Yes coaches are limited but per the new rules summer sessions are critical for individual player development. I also forgot there is a full 1 month break for the Olympics July 23- August 24th. That is probably enough time to pick a staff and have them hold things down until October when WNBA season is over.
Key Dates: 2016 WNBA Season - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Don't worry Peck is still a option as coach :)

outta here.gif

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
And you can mark it down, the LVs worst nightmare:cool:

Not only Holly, but Kim, Dawn, Muffet, JPM, and Brenda - LOOK OUT! There's a new gal in town! And what a class act, her credibility at 100% across the board:
- Winning record as WNBA coach
- Winner as a player (NC at Purdue)
- Up front w/Fever ownership about her goal (WCBB HC)
- Up front w/Fever players about Vandy interview and being "intrigued"
- Keeping her promise to complete WNBA season​
And high name/face recognition as an expert analyst on TV. Stephanie White will compete with any (female) wcbb coach - on the recruiting trail or in games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stephanie White is one of the great, young basketball minds. I enjoyed listening to her on the Dishin' and Swishin' podcast before the 2015-2016 college season. I enjoyed it so much I transcribed it. This is what White said about the future of the women's game:

One of the things I'm seeing across the board, whether it be men's, women's, pro and it's going to start to infiltrate the college game is we're not going to have positions anymore. In 5 years we're not going to have true back-to-the-basket players, we're not going to have pigeon-holed "you're the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 player." Versatility is paramount. Playing multiple positions, having multiple skill sets. Being able to do more than 1 or 2 things on the floor. To me, that's fun. As much as speeding up the pace of the game and that's why were able to speed up the pace of the game because everybody has got to be able to dribble, everybody has got to be able to shoot, everybody has got to be able to rebound, and everybody has got to be able to defend. That's one of the things I'm most excited about, the way our game is transitioning to position-less basketball.

This sounds familiar to what Geno said about a year ago:

"You remember back when there were guards, there were forwards and there was a center," he said. "Why? Because he's taller than everybody else. Then players started to be put in their own little boxes. This is a point guard, this is a shooting guard. But don't expect him to pass, because then he's a passing guard. This is a small forward, this is a power forward. I don't know where that came from, but it caught on.

"What you're seeing now in the game of basketball, like anything else, what was new has become old and what was old has become new. We're old-fashioned. We have two guards, who bring the ball up, two guys on the wing, who could be guards. And someone roaming around in the middle somewhere who could be a big guy, or not. We had [Breanna Stewart] playing point guard in practice the other day – there isn't a 6-foot-4 point guard in the country in women's basketball – but she did because she can. And I wanted her to."

Great minds. . .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stephanie White is one of the great, young basketball minds. I enjoyed listening to her on the Dishin' and Swishin' podcast before the 2015-2016 college season. I enjoyed it so much I transcribed it. This is what White said about the future of the women's game:

One of the things I'm seeing across the board, whether it be men's, women's, pro and it's going to start to infiltrate the college game is we're not going to have positions anymore. In 5 years we're not going to have true back-to-the-basket players, we're not going to have pigeon-holed "you're the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 player." Versatility is paramount. Playing multiple positions, having multiple skill sets. Being able to do more than 1 or 2 things on the floor. To me, that's fun. As much as speeding up the pace of the game and that's why were able to speed up the pace of the game because everybody has got to be able to dribble, everybody has got to be able to shoot, everybody has got to be able to rebound, and everybody has got to be able to defend. That's one of the things I'm most excited about, the way our game is transitioning to position-less basketball.

This sounds familiar to what Geno said about a year ago:

"You remember back when there were guards, there were forwards and there was a center," he said. "Why? Because he's taller than everybody else. Then players started to be put in their own little boxes. This is a point guard, this is a shooting guard. But don't expect him to pass, because then he's a passing guard. This is a small forward, this is a power forward. I don't know where that came from, but it caught on.

"What you're seeing now in the game of basketball, like anything else, what was new has become old and what was old has become new. We're old-fashioned. We have two guards, who bring the ball up, two guys on the wing, who could be guards. And someone roaming around in the middle somewhere who could be a big guy, or not. We had [Breanna Stewart] playing point guard in practice the other day – there isn't a 6-foot-4 point guard in the country in women's basketball – but she did because she can. And I wanted her to."

Great minds. . .

And somewhat in the same vein, Coach McGraw weighs in...
"You don't see dominant centers as much anymore," McGraw notes. "Kids really don't want to be down on the block. Most big kids want to shoot the three. It's a faster game, too. In 2001, we played the 2-3 zone for the whole season and you just can't do that anymore."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Stephanie White is one of the great, young basketball minds.This is what White said about the future of the women's game:In 5 years we're not going to have pigeon-holed "you're the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 player." Versatility is paramount.

So much for the 1-2-3-4-5 categorization of bb positions that many "experts" cling to. I have long thought it (to be polite) excessively rigid while observing Geno ignore it for years. Time to let it go - unless you are Chris Russo.:rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Great Hire for Vandy. With Carolyn Peck as the Associate Head Coach, she'll be out recruiting this summer while Stephanie White is fulfilling her Fever HC Responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom