• It doesn't matter, Geno will change it up every game

Votes: 22 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't realize Nykesha was joining the UCF coaching staff....
The coaching tree is growing. Both Morgan Valley and Jasmine Lister are now at the University of Washington.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno will begin with a veteran line-up, including Soniya and Nurse at guard. Katie Lou and Naphessa will also start. So that leaves one spot.

I would be amazed if Butler can earn it, as she simply doesn't seem very athletic or reliable. So Gabby is logical, unless coach wants her off the bench. Maybe one of the freshman will earn a spot. I don't think it will be Crystal, although I expect her to start after the first month to 6 weeks of the season.

It will be interesting to watch.
I think the game to watch and the TWO to watch --are Butler and Crystal --in the USF game.
If both get more than 20 minutes--in a tough game--you are looking at players Geno trusts .
Starting is nice but not important until later. I suspect that if Butler gets 20 minutes and the game is going well--she'll sit as early as possible saving energy for the game 2 days away. I'm not sold on Saniya --Geno likes her practices--but didn't say she'd start--he effectively said KiA, KatieLOU, Collier, Gabby would be his CORE (i read as starters)---also said Crystal will start early.
If Butler does not provide Uconn SoME of the interior play Geno needs--my projections will not stand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who is going to be defending the center position for UCONN with Natalie on the bench?
Napheesa, most likely. I think Geno said that Lou is working on her interior defense as well. Perhaps Kyla will get minutes too.

Reaction Score
Who is going to be defending the center position for UCONN with Natalie on the bench?
That is the weak point in taking Butler out: but, UConn didn't play a true center last year at all in meaningful minutes. The added offense might make up for less height on defense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I went with option 5 because I answered based on the first game of the year. I think it will change over time (not every game - option 6) but to start the season he will go with non-freshman and will keep Williams in her 6th person role where she has thrived. If Dangerfield plays really well and Chong struggles or if Butler struggles, I think Dangerfield/Williams could be in the starting lineup by game 10.

Reaction Score
I wanted to bump this so that everyone who predicted the starters can see how poorly they did, including me. I am astonished that no one was able to predict the correct starting lineup. Carnac and ktuck911 were one starter off (I only searched page 1).In fact, the projected starters were not even an option on the poll.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
"Much has been made of who is not wearing UConn blue: Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuckand Moriah Jefferson have graduated. In their place, UConn returns four players who contributed last season: Katie Lou Samuelson, Kia Nurse, Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams.

Those four will start Tuesday, along with senior guard Saniya Chong. Auriemma and his staff are looking for the right mix and want see how various lineups handle various situations."

I guess the others have it, or possibly even the doesn't matters since we are still in exhibition (starting tmro) and it could change on the fly. My bad for not including this option!

I think just as many are surprised to see Chong in the starting lineup (presumably over Butler even tho they are different positions) as there are those who knew she'd get the shot. I'm sure one thing we all agree on is hoping Chong looks great and stays healthy enough to keep the spot.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

THAT is the $64,000 question. I'm guessing either Samuelson or Williams. I'm leaning towards Samuelson. Unless Gabby has learned to defend without fouling. Against bigger and taller opponents, Gabby (5'11") would have two fouls in the first 5-7 trips down the floor, especially if the other team is smart enough to capitalize on and exploit the obvious mismatch they would have on the block.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think the game to watch and the TWO to watch --are Butler and Crystal --in the USF game.
If both get more than 20 minutes--in a tough game--you are looking at players Geno trusts .
Starting is nice but not important until later. I suspect that if Butler gets 20 minutes and the game is going well--she'll sit as early as possible saving energy for the game 2 days away. I'm not sold on Saniya --Geno likes her practices--but didn't say she'd start--he effectively said KiA, KatieLOU, Collier, Gabby would be his CORE (i read as starters)---also said Crystal will start early.
If Butler does not provide Uconn SoME of the interior play Geno needs--my projections will not stand.

the USF game.

Broadway, you're saying "USF" here. May I/we assume you're referring to the "Florida State" game 2 weeks from today on Nov 14, or am I in error? :eek:
We don't play the University of South Florida (USF) until January 1, 2017. UConn's first AAC conference game of the season. Needless to say, all questions about everything/everyone will be answered by then.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno says that Saniya starts tomorrow. It looks like:

Kia
Saniya
Gabby
Lou
Napheesa

Reaction Score
I wanted to bump this so that everyone who predicted the starters can see how poorly they did, including me. I am astonished that no one was able to predict the correct starting lineup. Carnac and ktuck911 were one starter off (I only searched page 1).In fact, the projected starters were not even an option on the poll.
I did on page 3.
Whats all this talk about gabby fouling too much? I don't recall her fouling out of any game last year.
It doesn't matter who is guarding the post, because uconn makes it tough for the other team to pass it inside.

Reaction Score
Broadway, you're saying "USF" here. May I/we assume you're referring to the "Florida State" game 2 weeks from today on Nov 14, or am I in error? :eek:
We don't play the University of South Florida (USF) until January 1, 2017. UConn's first AAC conference game of the season. Needless to say, all questions about everything/everyone will be answered by then.
You got it correct---even if I am not---I'll always have them confused, it's one of those black holes in space--I get sucked into one and it rarely changes. But I appreciate the correction- Yep, it's the guys Uconn play on the 14th.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did on page 3.
Whats all this talk about gabby fouling too much? I don't recall her fouling out of any game last year.
It doesn't matter who is guarding the post, because uconn makes it tough for the other team to pass it inside.
Gabby did not foul out of any games last year but she did pick up some cheap "perimeter" fouls that had her sitting on the bench for extended minutes like in the Ohio state game.
It matters very much who is guarding the post if you are going to be giving up 6 inches like Gabby would be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is the weak point in taking Butler out: but, UConn didn't play a true center last year at all in meaningful minutes. The added offense might make up for less height on defense.
Yea but..... that 6'2" F from Bolingbrook, IL that played the center position for UCONN did a bang up job on both ends of the floor against some of the best centers in the country. I think UCONN was undefeated with her starting in that position.

Reaction Score
Gabby did not foul out of any games last year but she did pick up some cheap "perimeter" fouls that had her sitting on the bench for extended minutes like in the Ohio state game.
It matters very much who is guarding the post if you are going to be giving up 6 inches like Gabby would be.
Do you actually believe gabby is affraid or can't guard a bigger player? I would take gabby over any player bigger then 6'4". Just as i would take maya over any wbb player ever to play bb.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you actually believe gabby is affraid or can't guard a bigger player? I would take gabby over any player bigger then 6'4". Just as i would take maya over any wbb player ever to play bb.
This is not a boxing match, it's basketball height & size matter when you are talking about guarding the post. Gabby is not afraid of anything she will guard the post to the best of her ability. Not sure what Maya has to do with this but I'd take DT.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yea but..... that 6'2" F from Bolingbrook, IL that played the center position for UCONN did a bang up job on both ends of the floor against some of the best centers in the country. I think UCONN was undefeated with her starting in that position.

That's is exactly why 6'2" Molly Bent may be forced into action at the post position this year sooner than expected. This IS NOT going to be a "typical" year for Geno and staff. He may have to reach way down to the bottom of his bag of tricks (Felix the cat), and pull out something he hasn't used/needed in a while. It would not surprise me to see players playing out of position a few times this year either.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Gabby didn't foul out of any games last year because of Geno's superb clock and personnel management. No doubt she spent a lot more time on the bench than Geno would have liked. If you've played organized basketball at any level, you know that once you get that 4th foul, you immediately grow a pair of "alligator arms" if you want to stay in the game. You then have to play defense with your feet and not reach/grab anymore, which is probably how you got those 4 fouls in the first place. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby didn't foul out of any games last year because of Geno's superb clock and personnel management. No doubt she spent a lot more time on the bench than Geno would have liked. If you've played organized basketball at any level, you know that once you get that 4th foul, you immediately grow a pair of "alligator arms" if you want to stay in the game. You then have to play defense with your feet and not reach/grab anymore, which is probably how you got those 4 fouls in the first place. :confused:
If you been coached by Geno, like I have, you move your feet all the time and you don't wait until your 4th foul to make adjustments.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If you been coached by Geno, like I have, you move your feet all the time and you don't wait until your 4th foul to make adjustments.

True, but it's at THAT time when that concept becomes real, plausible, and reality sets in. One more grab, reach, or push (shove), and you're gone. Nobody wants /likes to foul out of a game. Especially if you're the best player on your team or if the game is close, and you know your fouling out could mean the difference in the game. You know there's something magical about those sidelines. Once you cross them, you forget everything the coach told you, and you play on instinct. Ergo, you reach, you grab, you foul.

When were you coached by Geno? Have you been holding out on us? :eek:

Reaction Score

If Gabby's position will be 'guarding the post'--she is in a No Win position. It is almost a gimme that a too small post fouls. Gabby with her speed and instinct is excellent at the top of the press or taking on opponents scorers.
Every thing Gabby does, I like--even those cheap foul--she is being aggressive and working hard.

If we act as though Gabby were a 6/3 post with our expectations -- some will be disappointed. Athleticism can make up for just a bit of size--

Reaction Score
That's is exactly why 6'2" Molly Bent may be forced into action at the post position this year sooner than expected.

Molly Bent is 5'8". You mean Kyla Irwin.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True, but it's at THAT time when that concept becomes real, plausible, and reality sets in. One more grab, reach, or push (shove), and you're gone. Nobody wants /likes to foul out of a game. Especially if you're the best player on your team or if the game is close, and you know your fouling out could mean the difference in the game.
When were you coached by Geno? Have you been holding out on us? :eek:
No, I have told this story on BY several times. I was coached by Geno in HS JV basketball 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom