The Hot Seat is Getting Warmer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Hot Seat is Getting Warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are paying Pasqualoni $1.6m?

Gosh. With that amount, there's a whole world of coaches that would be here. What a fecundity waste.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some of those names don't make any sense. I don't see Enos getting canned after beating Iowa on the road. Cristobal and Weis are safe. I don't see Quinn or Pelini at FAU in any jeopardy either.

The Dooley contract brings up a major factor in canning a coach. Dooley makes a lot of money, but cost a fortune to fire. Remember Tim Welsh? He had a low salary and a large buyout, and lasted at least 2 years after everyone wanted him gone. Nothing promotes job security quite like that combination.

Pasqualoni's biggest problem is that he has a large salary and a small buyout. Not a good combination for a coach that could finish with 3 or 4 wins.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni's biggest problem is that he has a large salary and a small buyout. Not a good combination for a coach that could finish with 3 or 4 wins.

That and an AD that didn't hire him. Warde only looks bad if he sits on his hands and does nothing.

Reaction Score
Gene Chizik is on the hot seat? Didn't he win the national championship like 20 minutes ago?

He's proving to be the coach that everyone thought he was when they hired him. The guy had a transcendant college player that carried Auburn to the promised land. And he wouldn't have even had that if not for a big time pay off.

Reaction Score
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...oley-joker-phillips-gene-chizik-bobby-petrino

First-and-10: The coaching carousel starts spinning now

Last updated 3 hours and 41 minutes ago
Matt Hayes Sporting News

When it’s time for change, nothing holds back momentum. Not a hefty buyout, not personal relationships and certainly not the unknown of the next step.

Robb Akey was the first coach fired this season, and Idaho was so ready to get rid of one of the true good guys of the sport with two years remaining on his contract, they gave the interim job to a 33-year-old who two years ago was coaching high school football. “It has been a whirlwind,” said Idaho interim coach Jason Gesser.

If you think that’s nutty, it’s about to get full-blown bat crazy.

The strange and awkward season of firing and hiring coaches has begun, and the closer we get to a flooded market, the quicker this reality arrives: a man who has lied to his employers everywhere he has coached will soon be the hottest commodity of the hiring season. That’s right, everyone. We’re talking about Bobby Petrino. Fired at Arkansas in April for lying to his bosses about an affair with a woman who worked for him. Lied or misled his bosses at Louisville multiple times before leaving for another job. Lied or misled his owner with the NFL’s Falcons multiple times before leaving for another job. All it’s going to take is a slick president and/or athletic director to stand tall and state that Petrino’s problem at Arkansas was a personal misstep, not a professional failing. That he regrets his actions and is ready to move forward. “If you don’t think that will happen,” says one BCS athletic director, “you obviously don’t know how important winning is to some folks.”

A brief breakdown of the coaching carousel:

It’s all over but the firing
1. Derek Dooley, Tennessee: Three years in Knoxville: 4-16 SEC record. Pfffft.

2. Joker Phillips, Kentucky: Three years at UK, marquee win: beating Tennessee (yes, Dooley’s Tennessee) for the first time in 27 years.

3. Frank Spaziani, Boston College: One win this season (vs. FCS Maine), and losers of 15 of the last 20 games. In an increasingly weak conference.

4. Gene Chizik, Auburn: What looked unthinkable even last month has now become the inevitable. Three straight top 15 recruiting classes have led to one victory this fall—over Louisiana-Monroe in overtime.

Better finish strong

1. Jeff Tedford, California: The buyout is hefty ($6.9 million), but so was the price for the (now half full) Memorial Stadium renovation.

2. Skip Holtz, USF: Heard the dreaded “we evaluate every coach after the season” statement from his athletic director, and his teams have lost 12 of their last 15 games. Key stretch: back-to-back winnable home games against Syracuse and UConn. Lose those two, and it’s over.

3. Dave Christensen, Wyoming: The losing is bad enough. But embarrassing your university will speed up things every time.

Icons on the edge
1. Mack Brown, Texas: Texas has lost its last nine games to ranked teams, and the trend line doesn’t look good. The Longhorns have given up 197 points—nearly 50 a game—in splitting their first four Big 12 games this fall. That’s bad, bad football for a program that gets its choice from the most talent-rich state in all of high school football.

2. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: The last three weeks was a microcosm of the program under Ferentz: win a couple of games and feel good about the direction, then embarrass yourself and talk about getting better.

3. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: He has done too much for Mizzou, right? Well, if the Tigers don’t win in Year 1 in the SEC—and considering Pinkel’s DUI last year and his handling of QB James Franklin this fall—stranger things have happened.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Darn. I figured Coach P would be featured in the "Icons on the Edge" section for sure.

Reaction Score
Some of those names don't make any sense. I don't see Enos getting canned after beating Iowa on the road. Cristobal and Weis are safe. I don't see Quinn or Pelini at FAU in any jeopardy either.

The Dooley contract brings up a major factor in canning a coach. Dooley makes a lot of money, but cost a fortune to fire. Remember Tim Welsh? He had a low salary and a large buyout, and lasted at least 2 years after everyone wanted him gone. Nothing promotes job security quite like that combination.

The Tennessee boosters want Dooley gone. And thus, Dooley will be fired after the season. Those guys are going to go to the well to get a very good head coach this time.

Reaction Score
I am hearing that Skip will be gone after this season. Was just watching Gus Malzahn and Arkansas State. He knows how to run an offense very well.

Hard to believe Cristobal is already on that list.

I think Skip will be gone after this year. USF fans with Skip is almost as bad as we are with PP.

I would love to see Skip back at UConn...:)

Reaction Score
How would you rate losing to Fruit 40-10. How would you rate scoring 3 on Rutgers? How would you rate clock management and time out use too many times to mention? Add together with OL coaching changes and many other bad moves and seems like at least Kragthorpean if not apocalyptical.
I rate it all as very very disappointing . My point about evaluating is during the coaching search not after he is hired.

Reaction Score
I think Skip will be gone after this year. USF fans with Skip is almost as bad as we are with PP.

I would love to see Skip back at UConn...:)
You can't be serious with this....Skip had done only marginally better at usf than P has done here. I tailgate with guys who played for Skip when he was here...and they sing his praises...but I think they would also be the first ones to tell you that this would be a bad move.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't one of the 1st things HCRE did when he got here was run a bunch of Skip's guys off the team?

Reaction Score
South Florida is 1-11 in Big East games dating back to the end of 2010....no thanks to Holtz.

Reaction Score
You can't be serious with this....Skip had done only marginally better at usf than P has done here. I tailgate with guys who played for Skip when he was here...and they sing his praises...but I think they would also be the first ones to tell you that this would be a bad move.

I wasn't being serious when I said it!! I think HOLTZ getting a job in football is a little like Dale, JR keeping his job in NASCAR... his last name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom