The Hot Seat is Getting Warmer | The Boneyard

The Hot Seat is Getting Warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach P has moved onto the Hot Seat list.

From Coaches Hot Seat List Website:
As of 10/23/12
1. Frank Spaziani Boston College 65 ACC $1,100,000
2. Gene Chizik Auburn 50 SEC $3,500,000
3. Derek Dooley Tennessee 43 SEC $1,800,000
4. Joker Phillips Kentucky 48 SEC $1,750,000
5. Jeff Tedford California 50 Pac 12 2,800,000
6. Charlie Weis Kansas 57 Big 12 $2,000,000
7. Kevin Wilson Indiana 51 Big Ten $1,100,000
8. Dan Enos Central Michigan 42 MAC $320,000
9. Skip Holtz USF 47 Big East $1,900,000
10. Rich Ellerson Army 48 Ind. $425,000
11. Mario Cristobal Florida Int'l. 41 Sun Belt $460,000
12. David Bailiff Rice 53 CUSA $500,000
13. Bobby Hauck UNLV 47 MWC $500,000
14. Jon Embree Colorado 47 Pac 12 $1,100,000
15. Jeff Quinn Buffalo 49 MAC $425,000
16. Randy Edsall Maryland 54 ACC $2,220,000
17. Ellis Johnson Southern Miss 61 CUSA $750,000
18. DeWayne Walker New Mexico State 51 WAC $400,000
19.Dave Christensen Wyoming 50 MWC $700,000
20. Paul Pasqualoni Connecticut 63 Big East $1,600,000

21. Mack Brown Texas 60 Big 12 $5,200,000
22. Steve Sarkisian Washington 37 Pac 12 $2,300,000
23. Kirk Ferentz Iowa 56 Big Ten $3,800,000
24. Ron English Eastern Michigan 43 MAC $350,000
25. Carl Pelini Florida Atlantic 48 Sun Belt $500,000

KEY
HOT SEAT 1-20
EDGE OF HOT SEAT 21-25

Reaction Score
Does this guy post past year's hot seat rankings. I'd be interested in seeing how accurate he is.

Reaction Score
that's the wrong attitude, I'd rather root for him to win out the season and wrap it up with a stellar recruiting class.

It does put in perspective that as much as we don't like him, it's probably unrealistic to assume he'll be gone after the season. BC fans have wanted Spaz gone since almost day 1, and he's still there and there's a lot of guys higher on that list that will probably be back next season. Before this season it had always been my belief that you should always give a coach at least 3-4 years to do their thing. I thought Ty Willingham was fired too soon at ND. Personally, my viewpoint has changed since this season started but realistically coaches are rarely fired after just two seasons. Although we're pissed with our results, it's not as though they're apocalyptically bad.

Reaction Score
Does this guy post past year's hot seat rankings. I'd be interested in seeing how accurate he is.

His archive doesn't go back to 2011. It starts pre-season 2012 @ the link above. It fluctuates daily.

One of the reasons he bounced up from 25 last week was the loss and because the guy from Idaho got whacked.

Reaction Score
Gene Chizik is on the hot seat? Didn't he win the national championship like 20 minutes ago?

Reaction Score
that's the wrong attitude, I'd rather root for him to win out the season and wrap it up with a stellar recruiting class.

It does put in perspective that as much as we don't like him, it's probably unrealistic to assume he'll be gone after the season. BC fans have wanted Spaz gone since almost day 1, and he's still there and there's a lot of guys higher on that list that will probably be back next season. Before this season it had always been my belief that you should always give a coach at least 3-4 years to do their thing. I thought Ty Willingham was fired too soon at ND. Personally, my viewpoint has changed since this season started but realistically coaches are rarely fired after just two seasons. Although we're pissed with our results, it's not as though they're apocalyptically bad.
8-16 is not good.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
everyone should write thatr site and the goal should be top 10 by next week:D

Reaction Score
I am hearing that Skip will be gone after this season. Was just watching Gus Malzahn and Arkansas State. He knows how to run an offense very well.

Hard to believe Cristobal is already on that list.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Who would pay that pantload Charlie Weis 2 million to get their team's ass kicked every week? The Kansas AD, I guess.

Reaction Score
Not surprising Army is shopping for yet another coach, considering they were praising Ellerson for that bowl victory over SMU, and now look, oh wait...

Reaction Score
Hard to believe Cristobal is already on that list.

It's funny that pretty much everyone, myself included, thought Rutgers really screwed the pooch in promoting Flood instead of bringing in Cristobal. Shows what I know.

Reaction Score
It's funny that pretty much everyone, myself included, thought Rutgers really screwed the pooch in promoting Flood instead of bringing in Cristobal. Shows what I know.

Not really... He could be a good/great coach in a bad situation with a mediocre staff and limited talent. I though MC should have had a shot to interview up here.

Reaction Score
No disrespect but most fans including me do not know anything about evaluating/hiring a coach. But it makes for great conversation on this board.

Reaction Score
No disrespect but most fans including me do not know anything about evaluating/hiring a coach. But it makes for great conversation on this board.

How would you rate losing to Fruit 40-10. How would you rate scoring 3 on Rutgers? How would you rate clock management and time out use too many times to mention? Add together with OL coaching changes and many other bad moves and seems like at least Kragthorpean if not apocalyptical.

Reaction Score
Coach P has moved onto the Hot Seat list.

From Coaches Hot Seat List Website:
As of 10/23/12

3. Derek Dooley Tennessee 43 SEC $1,800,000
20. Paul Pasqualoni Connecticut 63 Big East $1,600,000

Obviously each contract language is different but timely article:

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/oct/23/buying-out-derek-dooley-and-staff-could-cost-as/

Buying out Derek Dooley and staff could cost as much as $9.3 million over four years

By Evan Woodbery
Updated Tuesday, October 23, 2012

>>"If Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart decides to change directions in the football program after this season, the move won't be cheap.

UT would have to pay at least $5.6 million, and perhaps as much as $9.3 million, over the next four years to buy out Derek Dooley and his coaching staff, according to an analysis of employment contracts by the News Sentinel. All but one of Dooley's nine on-field assistants are working under multiyear contracts, including defensive coordinator Sal Sunseri, Tennessee's highest-paid assistant.

But the payouts to fired coaches could vary based on how quickly they find other employment and how much they are paid in their new jobs.

The university would owe Dooley $5 million, or roughly $102,040 per month, through December 2016. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney would be owed about $645,000, spread over monthly payments through December 2013. That money is guaranteed, meaning any future employment wouldn't affect their payouts from Tennessee.

Every other assistant coach has a clause in his contract requiring him to make a good-faith effort to find new employment to help defray Tennessee's expenses. For example, if an assistant coach was due to be paid $250,000 by Tennessee and found a job elsewhere paying $150,000, UT would only be on the hook for $100,000. Special teams coordinator Charlie Coiner's contract runs only through February 2013. But cornerbacks coach Derrick Ansley, safeties coach Josh Conklin, running backs coach Jay Graham, receivers coach Darin Hinshaw, defensive line coach John Palermo and offensive line coach Sam Pittman are all under contract through February 2014 and would be in line to make between $250,000 and roughly $344,000.

The biggest expense would be Sunseri, who would be due another $1.84 million through February 2015 if he were dismissed in December. Tennessee could be on the hook for much of that contract if Sunseri is unable to find another position as lucrative.

The total value of Tennessee's conditional obligations to the coaching staff is $3.71 million. Add that to the guaranteed payouts to Dooley and Chaney, and it's a daunting total.

But UT could recoup at least some of the assistants' money through Section 3.1.5 of their contracts, which requires the dismissed coach to use his "reasonable best efforts to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages ... by making reasonable and diligent efforts as soon as practicable following termination to obtain another comparable (position)."

While Dooley and Chaney are not bound by such a clause, the sticker shock of Dooley's $5 million buyout is eased by it being payable over four years, rather than in one lump sum. Even assuming the worst-case scenario — no assistants are able to find jobs and Tennessee is on the hook for all of them — UT would have to pay no more than $350,000 per month through 2013, $172,000 per month through 2014 and $102,000 per month through 2015. That's a lot of money, but it wouldn't require Hart to instantly round up $9 million in cash.

Dooley has been insulated by a generous buyout clause since he came to Tennessee after the 2009 season. The school was seeking stability in the wake of Lane Kiffin's one-year tenure, so the contract was difficult for either side to break cheaply.When Dooley's contract was extended after his first season at UT, the buyout calendar was also extended. Under his original contract, the buyout would have dropped to $4 million next year. In the amended contract, the $5 million buyout remains in place through Feb. 15, 2014.

Talk of the buyout surfaced again after Dooley was questioned Monday about an Internet report written by John Pennington of MrSEC.com. Citing three unnamed sources, the report said Dooley had offered to resign after the 2011 season if the university would agree to pay his full buyout. Dooley called the story "absurd," then launched into an anecdote about his high school coach, who would walk into the principal's office after every season and offer his resignation. Dooley joked that he didn't have the courage to do the same. "I'd be a real to do something like that," he said with a laugh.

Dooley isn't the only coach with a large buyout, although the size can vary considerably in the SEC. Auburn coach Gene Chizik would be owed a whopping $7.5 million if he is let go after this year, although Chizik's contract contains a clause requiring him to use "reasonable efforts" to find other work. Kentucky coach Joker Phillips would be owed $2.55 million if he is dismissed, according to media reports.

By contrast, Florida coach Will Muschamp would be paid only the remainder of his base salary ($250,000 per year) if he were ever dismissed. Muschamp would owe Florida $500,000 if he left on his own.

Tennessee players said they've tried to tune out talk about Dooley's future this week. "It's not the coaches, it's the players," said linebacker Curt Maggitt. "The pressure shouldn't be on (Dooley)." Offensive lineman Alex Bullard said the team "stands behind" Dooley. "I don't think it's fair. We're all in this together," he said. "People are going to talk, but our job is do what we're asked to do and win games."<<

Reaction Score
"By contrast, Florida coach Will Muschamp would be paid only the remainder of his base salary ($250,000 per year) if he were ever dismissed. Muschamp would owe Florida $500,000 if he left on his own."

Who is Muschamp's agent ?, lol.

Reaction Score
I recently obtained footage of the Boneyard's military arm heating up Coach P's seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom