The future of PSU football recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The future of PSU football recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How big is the gap between them and Purdue right now?

The NCAA really this up royally. They've tried to position themselves as a tough guy while working with PSU under the sheets to come up with the most PR friendly outcome for both parties. Unfortunately, the end result in this little game is that PSU has now become the victim and more importantly, fundamental changes at PSU are not going to happen.

They were playing for titles most years vs. OSU but rarely beat them. 2 BCS bids and nearly played for a third. QB play has always been the difference.

With regard to changes. This would be the part where I might say, "I told you, so." It wasn't a FB problem, FB is what made it newsworthy.

The administration hasn't really changed it's attitude, yet. A small chance remains if the BOT really gets after it.

Two things need to happen. 1. Police force reports directly to a BOT subcommittee and not the administration. 2. An independent university compliance office needs to be created, also reporting to the BOT.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Carl "Itunes User Agreement" Spackler is right. The NCAA goofed this up. They think they hit Penn State hard, but they underestimated the mentality of these people. For one, they should have given Penn State the death penalty or nothing at all. Instead we have every assistant coach in the nation stalking players in parking lots and McDonalds' bathrooms. There is no dignity or humanity in this.

The other thing is, Penn State will most likely stubbornly persevere. And who can blame them.. anyone else with the capacity would do the same. This was not what the NCAA wanted, they thought they were giving them death without death. But instead everyone in PSU colors thinks they are martyrs. Martyrs!

Reaction Score
I heard a comment somewhere this weekend that the NCAA is actually taking a pretty big risk here. If Penn State continues to play at a high level, has few if any setbacks, this looks like a totally fake punishment. it will either force the NCAA to take more drastic action in the future, including bringing the death penalty back into play or it will leave them toothless going forward. A great Penn State season combined with USC in the national Championship game would be a huge blow to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
PSU won't really being feeling any serious affects from the sanctions for at least 2 years. If they do win big, in the next 2 years, you're absolutely right scooter, I think.

The first full season (which i think will be in three years) where they are down to 30 new scholarships in the cycles, instead of the normal 50, they will have trouble competiting. That's not for another two years. In the same four year period that PSU, will be able to award a total of 60 new scholarships total (15 x 4) instead of 100 (25x4)...... is also the same 4 year time period, that approximately a dozen football playing institutions in the same recruiting footprint, including UMass now, those same 4 years, there will be 600+ new football scholarships awarded to football players.

PSU recruiters are going to have a much more difficult time with local players in the northeast, than they've had in three decades. But it's not going to happen overnight. If PSU can win in the meantime? That will be the key on how they fall. If they start losing big, now, they will fall a lot farther than if they win the next year or two.

Football players all over the northeast, that PSU had free reign on combing through for three decades, are going to have many more options, to earn a free ride in the coming years.

Reaction Score
I heard a comment somewhere this weekend that the NCAA is actually taking a pretty big risk here. If Penn State continues to play at a high level, has few if any setbacks, this looks like a totally fake punishment. it will either force the NCAA to take more drastic action in the future, including bringing the death penalty back into play or it will leave them toothless going forward. A great Penn State season combined with USC in the national Championship game would be a huge blow to the NCAA.

that would almost be enough for me to root for both schools. i thought the NCAA came off really bad the way Emmert was standing on his soap box proclaiming that this punishment was meant to forever ensure that no school puts athletics over morals, considering they're the biggest profiteers of that mentality and have happily cashed the checks up until now. the whole grandstanding reminded me of Boss Hogg or some other creep politician. it was also stupid to say you're punishing PSU as an attack against morality in general b/c now you actually are making them a victim. he should have said they're getting punished b/c they acted like criminals and left it at that

Reaction Score
They were playing for titles most years vs. OSU but rarely beat them. 2 BCS bids and nearly played for a third. QB play has always been the difference.

With regard to changes. This would be the part where I might say, "I told you, so." It wasn't a FB problem, FB is what made it newsworthy.

The administration hasn't really changed it's attitude, yet. A small chance remains if the BOT really gets after it.

Two things need to happen. 1. Police force reports directly to a BOT subcommittee and not the administration. 2. An independent university compliance office needs to be created, also reporting to the BOT.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You can say that until you're blue in the face and I'll continue to disagree. Yes, there were (are) other issues at PSU outside of the football program that need to be addressed. But I refuse to pretend that this wasn't (isn't) a football issue.

The whole thing needed to be shut down for a few years. I'm now convinced that's the only recourse that would've brought about real, substantive change at PSU. Instead we get symbolic gestures like taking down statues.

Reaction Score
You can say that until you're blue in the face and I'll continue to disagree. Yes, there were (are) other issues at PSU outside of the football program that need to be addressed. But I refuse to pretend that this wasn't (isn't) a football issue.

The whole thing needed to be shut down for a few years. I'm now convinced that's the only recourse that would've brought about real, substantive change at PSU. Instead we get symbolic gestures like taking down statues.
I agree with you, Jimmy. Anyone who says this wasn't about football is doing nothing but fooling himself.

I was also in favor of shuttering the program for a season, then allowing it back only slowly like playing just conference games for a couple of years, reducing the season to 8 games. I actually think limiting them to Big 10 play for a 4 or 5 year period would have been a worthwhile penalty to have considered too. But I am willing to let this punishment go forward and see what it does. Unfortunately I think it will take a couple of years to really start to bite. I do however think that a string of 5-7, 7-5 seasons will have a negative impact. 100,000 folks aren't showing up in State College to watch a team regularly lose to Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom