The future of PSU football recruiting | The Boneyard

The future of PSU football recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bigger drop than I ever imagined. This should easily lead to an exodus.

Reaction Score
Seriously? They sign one kid to fill a hole without a known BCS offer and that's proof of something? UConn players without a BCS offer to play in the NFL include Donald Thomas, Marcus Easley and William Beatty. Those players making our team was proof of what exactly?

In time we will get to see the effects.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am a little Penn Stated out at this point. We don't play this school, and likely never will. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
Seriously? They sign one kid to fill a hole without a known BCS offer and that's proof of something? UConn players without a BCS offer to play in the NFL include Donald Thomas, Marcus Easley and William Beatty. Those players making our team was proof of what exactly?

Yeah but we had "Mr. Under-the-Radar" (Randy Edsall) recruiting for UConn. . . and, Penn State, well . . . . they're only use to going to major bowls, so maybe this is not a sign of things to come. Maybe they're on to something. Not . . . I agree with earlier poster this is gonna get ugly for a while for the Nittanys.

Reaction Score

Seriously? You can't detect a hint of humor in a post? If you are Penn St, Ohio St or USC, you don't throw out schollarship to just any joe to fill a spot, you go after the best you can get.

The NFL is filled with guys from division II schools, I don't get your point about Thomas, Easly and Beatty.

Reaction Score
Isn't Adams State where the Revenge of the Nerds started? From what I saw, they looked pretty good. They had a pretty boy blond QB, Ogre could tackle anything in sight and the cheerleaders were pretty hot.

Reaction Score
the Adams Atoms. always solid in their division. i always thought Ogre as an olineman, but i guess linebacker would make more sense

Reaction Score
Seriously? You can't detect a hint of humor in a post? If you are Penn St, Ohio St or USC, you don't throw out schollarship to just any joe to fill a spot, you go after the best you can get.

The NFL is filled with guys from division II schools, I don't get your point about Thomas, Easly and Beatty.

If Penn State starts recruiting in the same ponds that we catch most of our fish in, their program will take a step backward. My only point is that to draw any conclusion from one recruit is way premature.

pj

Reaction Score
If Penn State starts recruiting in the same ponds that we catch most of our fish in, their program will take a step backward. My only point is that to draw any conclusion from one recruit is way premature.

There are a hundred FBS programs already recruiting in that pool, it can only help us if one of the elite programs drops down to our level (or lower).

Reaction Score
the tell-tale sign of how their recruiting will be is if they can hold on to the hackenberg (#1 qb recruit) commitment

Reaction Score
Could be an indicaton that they know a LB or two are leaving the program. Hopefully it is Fortt, and hopefulley he is headed to UConn.

Reaction Score
the tell-tale sign of how their recruiting will be is if they can hold on to the hackenberg (#1 qb recruit) commitment

The departure of Redd or one or two other big-time players will create lots of doubt for the recruits. If commits see current players bailing to greener pastures then the wheels will quickly fall off this recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Could be an indicaton that they know a LB or two are leaving the program. Hopefully it is Fortt, and hopefulley he is headed to UConn.

your mouth (or computer keypad in this instance) -- God ear.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

That was my exact thinking. Again, it's only one kid so it's hard to read too much into it, but you have to imagine they know or suspect something to throw out an offer to a kid from AZ a week before camp starts.

Seems very similar to our situation with McNeal and Boose at WR

Reaction Score
The math gets confusing, but the bottom line is that (I believe starting in just under 2 recruiting cycles) PSU, will be fielding a football team with a 65 scholarship limit, (20 under the 85 limit), and that will continue for a period of 4 more recruiting cycles.

They can only grant 15 new scholarships per year for a period of time starting in 2014 (I think) .

There will be at least 10 new recruits to NCAA division 1 football programs.....each year for four years thereafter...... 10 players available, in each of those years, that would have been PSU recruits for a scholarship to play football.

THe recruiting territory of PSU is open season, and we need to be in the hunt. Big time.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I can see why, and it's something that propelled our hoops players a few times - the "us against them" angle.

The kid is going to get a solid sure education, a solid coach who he can trust, and knows that he will still get visibility in the NFL if he plays well. The coaches obviously have a message to the team and are consistent on delivery.

While they may have trouble offering kids in the next few years, the ones that they have now will be playing with a chip on their shoulder.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can see why, and it's something that propelled our hoops players a few times - the "us against them" angle.

The kid is going to get a solid sure education, a solid coach who he can trust, and knows that he will still get visibility in the NFL if he plays well. The coaches obviously have a message to the team and are consistent on delivery.

While they may have trouble offering kids in the next few years, the ones that they have now will be playing with a chip on their shoulder.

I wouldn't be shocked if the kid started next year, which also might propel him to stay. I believe their current starter is a senior and their backup contemplated transferring even before all this broke. So I wouldn't be shocked to see this kid start next season, what do they have to lose?

In regards to future recruiting, I'm not so sure anymore that these sanctions will truly affect PSU for more than the length of the sanctions. People keep saying it will set them back 10 years but I'm gonna say that's BS and they'll come out in 5 years and be in a solid position with a top 10 recruiting class.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It absolutely will hurt them. 1/4 of the roster will be walk-ons, they will have the usual misses, have zero depth and the sanctions will limit the top end recruits. Maybe the coaching staff and traditon of the university will keep them from disappearing completely, but for a program that regularly competed for BCS bids, the drop off will be huge. Maybe not Indiana bad, but at least Purdue bad.

Reaction Score
It absolutely will hurt them. 1/4 of the roster will be walk-ons, they will have the usual misses, have zero depth and the sanctions will limit the top end recruits. Maybe the coaching staff and traditon of the university will keep them from disappearing completely, but for a program that regularly competed for BCS bids, the drop off will be huge. Maybe not Indiana bad, but at least Purdue bad.

i'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say they regularly competed for BCS bids. they've been to two in the last decade and have consistently been behind the top teams in the B10. that's one of the reasons i don't think the drop off will seem that dramatic. they'll still be behind OSU, UM, UW like they usually are, and they'll still be better than the lousy teams like Minn and Indiana. maybe Iowa and MiState will leap frog them, but nothing too dramatic, and it's probably debatable whether PSU is ahead of Iowa and MiSt to begin with

i see them being a 6-7 win team over the next several years.

Reaction Score

How big is the gap between them and Purdue right now?

The NCAA really this up royally. They've tried to position themselves as a tough guy while working with PSU under the sheets to come up with the most PR friendly outcome for both parties. Unfortunately, the end result in this little game is that PSU has now become the victim and more importantly, fundamental changes at PSU are not going to happen.

Reaction Score
The NCAA sanctions are going to really hurt PSU, but that community will rally around the football program, which is the complete opposite of what the NCAA intended. What a mess.

All we can do at UConn, is take care of our own business. And what will really knock PSU down, is the uprising of a program like UConn, into the top 25 in the country regularly.

We go out and win games, and that's going to be a lot more damaging to PSU recruiting, than what the NCAA did.

It's always chicken and egg though, which comes first, and I do find it strangely karmic, that PSU is going through this recruiting mess, which very well can give rise to the majority of football programs in the northeast, that Joe Paterno, pretty ruthlessly squashed as recruiting competition, in the late 1970s and early 1980s by being instrumental in installing the "public support" clause of division 1-A football classificiation.

What comes around, goes around. The patriot league is going UP to a 65 scholarship limit, from zero scholarships, during the same time period in the next few years, that PSU is going down to 65 schollies.

PSU is not going to have the easy pickings for recruits, that Paterno created for himself out there in central PA in the future.

Reaction Score
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...riot+League+adopts+football+scholarship+model

I was wrong. It's a 60 schollie limit the Patriot league will have in place, but it starts in 2013. 15 scholarships per year, for the next four years, up to 60, for each program.

By 2018, there will be a football conference at the FCS level, with the ability to play in the 1-AA post season, consisting of I think 10 football programs, in the PSU football recruiting footprint, carrying 600 new football scholarships.

That's 600 new scholarships for football players, that PSU didn't have any compeition for prior to these sanctions going into effect, during the same 4 year program that PSU is losing 40 new schollies.

my guess, is that was a big part of the decision making that went into the sanctions that were delivered to PSU by the NCAA. They basically put PSU at the same level that the Patriot league will be at.

(It's also 600 less athletes the we at UConn will have the opportunity to pick out the available pool of talent)

Again, I do find it quite ironic, that this is happening to PSU, after Paterno deliberately had a hand in wiping out most of the football recruiting competition for PSU in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

I've said this before, say again now, it's no surprise that Paterno's national championships came when they did. He had virtually no recruiting competition for players other than Syracuse and BC in the directions north, and east of State College, PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom