The False Recruiting Dichotomy | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The False Recruiting Dichotomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the op's definition of legacy is unusually narrow and the way Aja used the word far more common. Jackie Stiles left a legacy. Lindsay Whalen left a legacy. EDD left a legacy. And so have even less noteworthy players. They helped their programs achieve things never achieved by the programs previously and helped attract significant attention for both the programs and the schools. It is a legacy ff for no other reason that thousands of people carry forward the memories of being part of those experiences.

And when I see UConn fans be critical of recruits who say they might want to go somewhere where they can create their own legacy I always think back to the many times that Rebecca Lobo has said she chose UConn instead of the likes of Stanford was because she could help build a program. If you take her at her word she may not have chosen to come to the UConn of today.
I agree that Jackie Stiles, Lindsay Whalen, EDD and others have left their mark at their respective schools but I'm not sure if even a couple of years later anyone made a point at attending Jackie Stiles alma mater as a result of her legacy. They may have helped to spur youngsters to work as hard as they could to become a great women's basketball player but to attend any of their institutions????? I don't think many girls have a great desire to specifically play for Delaware or Minnesota as a result of EDD or Lindsay Whalen having played there. I could much more imagine someone wanting to play at a school where the coaching staff has brought in players and made them better, with some continuing to play ball professionally. Geno's 1991 women's team consisted of only one player who was probably rated in the top 100 recruits when they enrolled at UConn and he made them better, made them believe in a team concept and taught them fundamentals that insured success well beyond their expectations. He doesn't get credit now because his recruits are appreciably better but that shouldn't take away the fact that he makes his players better regardless of how good they were to start with.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
If Wilson wants to become the very best she can be, and be in the national spotlight, she should come to UCONN. There is simply no other decision to make. If you want to hang around home, be with friends and family, play some decent ball....then to SC you go. This stuff is so easy.

Reaction Score
pksundevil I'd say your definition of a legacy sets the bar too low. I know you don't adopt it, but just throw it out there. That definition does not look like legacy, but inertia or echo. I doubt Delaware will be in the NCAAs next spring and suspect you have nailed it : in 2-3 years Delaware will look like Delaware pre EDD. The time for Delaware to capitalize on EDD's presence was when she was there and that did not happen when it came to recruiting.

Legacy is a big word and should mean more than some here suggest, though maybe my definition is a tad high up there.

I didn't say they'd be in the NCAAs next spring. Nor did I say they would look like UD pre- EDD. Right now they have a freshman who was rated #76 in the ESPN top 100, a young team full of scorers, and a chance to build a program. I think they DID capitalize on EDD being there in recruiting, but if the measure is top-30 recruits, that's an unreasonable standard. I said in 2 years they are a borderline top 25 team. That is much better than pre- EDD, when they consistently won 20 games per year but weren't expected to consistently win the league. Everyone said attendance would fall back to pre- EDD levels this year, and it hasn't. Delaware will find out in a couple of years how long lasting the legacy is . Maybe it's just this group of recruits which will very likely do quite well, maybe it will last beyond that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn't say they'd be in the NCAAs next spring. Nor did I say they would look like UD pre- EDD. Right now they have a freshman who was rated #76 in the ESPN top 100, a young team full of scorers, and a chance to build a program. I think they DID capitalize on EDD being there in recruiting, but if the measure is top-30 recruits, that's an unreasonable standard. I said in 2 years they are a borderline top 25 team. That is much better than pre- EDD, when they consistently won 20 games per year but weren't expected to consistently win the league. Everyone said attendance would fall back to pre- EDD levels this year, and it hasn't. Delaware will find out in a couple of years how long lasting the legacy is . Maybe it's just this group of recruits which will very likely do quite well, maybe it will last beyond that.

You are right - I misread your NCAA prediction - that is for 2015 I gather. I agree with you about this: A legacy is demonstrated by the persistence of what someone set out to do over a considerable time period. If it does not last, it is not a legacy. Time will tell. EDD did give Delaware a heck of a fun ride; a very classy student athlete.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To second your excellent post just look at what Kia Nurse's father had to say yesterday about her commitment. For the most part these kids are focused on the question: What program can take me the farthest in my development.
Coach Auriemma is the senior women’s national team coach, so he’s fully aware of the commitment it takes to get to that level. That was a deciding factor for us.
That was the quote you were referring to.
I think a player like Diggins is a good 'legacy' example - I am sure she and ND fans are disappointed that they did not get an NC during her time, and ND already had one in its back pocket, but ... they were mired in 'good' mediocrity until she and a few others arrived (not minimizing the other recruits from the years before or after.) By the time she left ND was in the discussion for top rank every year and had a string of FF appearances to build on. I am sure she is proud of that fact, and the ND fans are thankful she showed up. Is that a 'legacy'? I would say yes, but in future it will look better if ND maintains the current level and a lot worse if they slowly fade back to mid 2000s form.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that we've had two UConn recruits (or families) mention "creating own legacy." There likely will be others who use this phrase. This must be the recruiting pitch against UConn (together with the conference issues).

Kia Nurse said this: "Do I want to play for someone who wins the national championship or someone who helps build a legacy?

Roscoe Wilson said this: That’s what she has to decide — does she want to be a part of that or create her own legacy?”

I think Brenda Freese once referred to UConn as a factory or some similar phrase that dehumanized the program.

These statements make it sound as if the accomplishments of current and future UConn players will be buried or obscured by the weight of its long and successful history. I don't think that's true. I think Geno and Chris have done a tremendous job of both honoring the past and also staying in the moment with the current players and their accomplishments. They know how hard it is to win a national championship and how special it is for every player who has the good fortune of competing for and celebrating a championship. Every player and every team is given an opportunity to put their own mark on the program and its legacy as we're seeing now with the current players (Stef, Bria, KML, Stewie).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that we've had two UConn recruits (or families) mention "creating own legacy." There likely will be others who use this phrase. This must be the recruiting pitch against UConn (together with the conference issues).

Kia Nurse said this: "Do I want to play for someone who wins the national championship or someone who helps build a legacy?

Roscoe Wilson said this: That’s what she has to decide — does she want to be a part of that or create her own legacy?”

I think Brenda Freese once referred to UConn as a factory or some similar phrase that dehumanized the program.

These statements make it sound as if the accomplishments of current and future UConn players will be buried or obscured by the weight of its long and successful history. I don't think that's true. I think Geno and Chris have done a tremendous job of both honoring the past and also staying in the moment with the current players and their accomplishments. They know how hard it is to win a national championship and how special it is for every player who has the good fortune of competing for and celebrating a championship. Every player and every team is given an opportunity to put their own mark on the program and its legacy as we're seeing now with the current players (Stef, Bria, KML, Stewie).

Players, also, know that their names will be recorded in history on a banner if they become an All American at UCONN. It will be there for folks and recruits to see and to aspire to for years. The builders of the tradition are visible as part of that wall that continues to stretch into the future.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

If true, that's a very interesting perspective. Think of all the UConn players that have gone onto the WNBA and other leagues globally, that weren't the "stars" of the program. And then think of all the ways that Geno, Chris, and staff prepare the young women for life after UConn, beyond the court. Regardless of whether they play any professional ball, I would think that "the program" does a lot more for these young ladies that just prepare them for hoop after graduation. I never played sports in college, however based on my outsider's view of the program, I'd want to be a part of it, based on the rich legacy that has been created.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If true, that's a very interesting perspective. Think of all the UConn players that have gone onto the WNBA and other leagues globally, that weren't the "stars" of the program. And then think of all the ways that Geno, Chris, and staff prepare the young women for life after UConn, beyond the court. Regardless of whether they play any professional ball, I would think that "the program" does a lot more for these young ladies that just prepare them for hoop after graduation. I never played sports in college, however based on my outsider's view of the program, I'd want to be a part of it, based on the rich legacy that has been created.

Your post reminds me that Dr. Leigh Ann Curl was at the Maryland game on Friday night. She is the orthopedic surgeon for the Baltimore Ravens and the only woman to hold such a position. Although she graduated in 1985 before Geno and Chris arrived, I'm sure they enjoyed seeing her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As someone mentioned regarding Lobo's statements after she chose Uconn, I think that question of blazing one's own path/continuing a long tradition of excellence has been around for a very long time. And it probably exists without prompting by coaches, though I am sure some bring it up.

Reaction Score
Rebecca, Sue, Diana, Tina, Maya, Kelly, and others have created a legacy of their own, but created a greater legacy as members of a great team.

Reaction Score
You're completely discounting the players Staley already has on her roster though. I don't care to go into rankings too much because really all of that is thrown out of the window once you step in between the lines.

But SC has a very young team. They will essentially bring back their entire roster next season. They have just come off of two tournament appearances. It's not like they've been buried in the WNIT for these past few years. And it has been impressive what Staley has done with supposedly such "little talent" she's had up to this point. She reached the sweet sixteen just two seasons ago (for SC, this is big time) with her tallest player being 6'2".

I say none of this to delve into where I think Wilson should or will go. It's her choice. It will be UConn or some place else. I just wouldn't gauge a team's potential based on the number of 5 star recruits on their roster.

Well said. Maryland loses Thomas, DeVaughn and Rutan after this season; Kentucky Stallworth, Evans, and Walker; Duke Gray, Liston, Peters, Jackson and Wells; Louisville Schimmel and Slaughter, and Notre Dame Achonwa and McBride. SC with A'ja would have as good of a shot at winning a NC as anyone outside of UConn next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One other thought about matriculating and graduating from the Geno school of basketball: It is not just about basketball. Like Wooden and his staff, Geno and his staff teach fundamental life values and the right way to do things in general. That, plus the rigor of the program and it's fame make for a tremendous calling card to open doors in the working world post graduation even if professional basketball is not part of that future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom