The False Recruiting Dichotomy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The False Recruiting Dichotomy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
ciarlante, you have walked into the hornets nest. You have disagreed with the "BONEYARD". You are entitled to your opinion, just not here.

Stop.jpg
He was entitled to express his opinion and Boneyarders were entitled to express theirs.

And you expressed yours and you have my response in living color.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Now, you are learning...
Awww....you still upset about your a((whoopin' a few weeks ago?

No one is telling anyone not to post. You are free to your opinion and you have posted it several times. So has Ciarlante.

If you can't take folks disagreeing with you, it's your problem, not theirs.

Reaction Score
Man you are a bitter pill!! Who pooped on your party. This is a Uconn board if you don't like our opinions please crawl back under that rock you came out from under. Thanks for your interest in the 8 time WCBB national champion Uconn Womens Basketball Team!
Yea, that's right, if you disagree with us, you must have crawled out from under a rock......

Reaction Score
Awww....you still upset about your a((whoopin' a few weeks ago?

No one is telling anyone not to post. You are free to your opinion and you have posted it several times. So has Ciarlante.

If you can't take folks disagreeing with you, it's your problem, not theirs.
and you can't take ciarlante disagreeing with you.....Hummmmm. That will be the day, when I get a whoopin from this crowd.

Reaction Score
Remember, on here, "if I want your opinion, I will give it to you"

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that after 33 or so posts (some addressing different issues) that Cialante's second point is virtually unaddressed…the negative effect of the extraordinarily weak conference, especially after
Rutgers and L'ville depart. His (I assume a gent) quote is:

besides the UCONN faithful who love watching 30-40 pt blowouts it wont be of much interest to other girls

Does this point strike one as having merit?

Kia Nurse just called and said to remember what Geno said.

"What league are you in now?’ Just tell them, we’re in a league of our own, God damnit! We’re UConn.'"

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
and you can't take ciarlante disagreeing with you.....Hummmmm. That will be the day, when I get a whoopin from this crowd.
It's a response to his post. How am "not taking it"?

You don't act anything like your Marlboro Man picture. Quite the baby.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Remember, on here, "if I want your opinion, I will give it to you"
You are free to give your opinion. And we are free to tell you how dumb it is.

No one is telling you what to say.

Reaction Score
It's a response to his post. How am "not taking it"?

You don't act anything like your Marlboro Man picture. Quite the baby.
I am glad to say, you act like a silly doggy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Jury is out. Delaware's roster is 12 freshmen and sophomores out of 15 players and they have their first top-100 recruit besides EDD probably ever in this years freshman class. The other thing is the majority- and majority means more than 50%- of season ticket holders apparently stuck around because attendance is still far more than double the pre-EDD days. 2,400 a game early in the season (half of arena capacity) is nothing to sniff at in the CAA. My guess is they will be back in the NCAAs next season and will be borderline top 25 next year or the year after. If a legacy is expanding the program's fan base and increasing the quality of recruits for several years, EDD has left a legacy at Delaware.

pksundevil I'd say your definition of a legacy sets the bar too low. I know you don't adopt it, but just throw it out there. That definition does not look like legacy, but inertia or echo. I doubt Delaware will be in the NCAAs next spring and suspect you have nailed it : in 2-3 years Delaware will look like Delaware pre EDD. The time for Delaware to capitalize on EDD's presence was when she was there and that did not happen when it came to recruiting.

Legacy is a big word and should mean more than some here suggest, though maybe my definition is a tad high up there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Leaving "a legacy" is something a 60+ year-old worries about... not a 17 year old. All a top high school player has to do is look at the number of former UConn players in the WNBA and the success they have had. Geno develops players... they are pro-ready when they graduate... and the WNBA folks know this and draft them. And then these players have less of an adjustment at the next level -- they get more playing time faster -- and that's important when you see how many WNBA players don't last more than a year or two.
I think what Aja's father is referring to would more accurately be described as "do you want to be a big fish in a little pond.... or are you good enough to be a BIG fish in a BIG pond?"
Most of the top HS players really don't have an idea of how tough it is at the next level... and how tough it needs to be to succeed at that level, on both a team and individual basis.
A player choosing UConn is not assured of success...they are assured of the opportunity of success.. the opportunity to get to their full potential if they are willing to work at it.... with no ro s due to poor coaching, inferior teammates, lack of conditioning, academic problems, etc.
And, oh yeah, you'll get to be on TV a lot!

To second your excellent post just look at what Kia Nurse's father had to say yesterday about her commitment. For the most part these kids are focused on the question: What program can take me the farthest in my development.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You can be great going anywhere. UConn offers a unique opportunity that many other schools can't offer. We know that and the Wilsons know that. Yes there is a lot of pressure coming from players, coaches and in state people for Aja to stay there. We saw Davis play for Georgia Tech, and Diamond at UNC and EDD at UD. That's what they wanted to do and for their own reasons. If Aja wants that that's what she wants and for her own reasons. Do many of us think she would have a better career at UConn? By reading what Im reading yes we do and I think her family knows if she doesn't come to UConn what she might be giving up. I don't think its about coming to UConn I think its about saying No to those instate people and it is a tuff decision. In the end I like our chances...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I too am late to this thread, but let me add my thoughts. Here's an example. Laura Harper was scheduled to come to UConn, but at the last minute switched to Maryland, and took Crystal Langhorne with her. They wanted to create their own legacy. Unfortunately, Laura tore her achilles tendon her freshman year, but battled back to win a National Championship[ in 2006, and was the MOP of the tournament. Laura's No. 15 jersey hangs in the rafters at Comcast Center. She was drafted #10 in the WNBA, but suffered a career ending injury. Crystal Langhorne is still enjoying a successful WNBA career. So, it can happen. For Maryland, it was a "perfect storm." UConn was in a down year, partially because they didn't get Harper. Jeff Walz was still at Maryland, making his positive contribution. And Kristi Tolliver had a phenomenal freshman year.

On a side note, I just discovered that Tulane President Scott Cowen lived across the hall from me at UConn. Small world. (BTW, I also had someone in the dorm room near mine who turned out to be a serial killer.)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You can be great going anywhere. UConn offers a unique opportunity that many other schools can't offer. We know that and the Wilsons know that. Yes there is a lot of pressure coming from players, coaches and in state people for Aja to stay there. We saw Davis play for Georgia Tech, and Diamond at UNC and EDD at UD. That's what they wanted to do and for their own reasons. If Aja wants that that's what she wants and for her own reasons. Do many of us think she would have a better career at UConn? By reading what Im reading yes we do and I think her family knows if she doesn't come to UConn what she might be giving up. I don't think its about coming to UConn I think its about saying No to those instate people and it is a tuff decision. In the end I like our chances...
One thing to add to what Tony said. I'll use Diamond Deshields as an example. She decided to go to UNC partly (or mainly) because she'd have more freedom to do what she wanted. I can't find her quotes but I believe she said something like that. It's not exactly the creating your own legacy statement, but...

Point is that she's an elite athlete. She has a scorers mentality. BUT she would be taught very differently if she were at UCONN. Anyone who watched UNC vs. Tennessee can see she'd never be playing the way she did that game if she were at UCONN. However, she will have 4 years at UNC. That gives her plenty of time to work on her game and still be a star after college. The age old question of would she be better had she gone to UCONN? Maybe she'd be like Charde and never quite get the system, struggle in it, and ultimately be a good but not great college player. But it's my belief she'd be a better all around player had she come to UCONN.

I don't think it's arrogant to say UCONN has the best coaches in the nation, nor that it's our opinion they develop the players better than anyone else MOST OF THE TIME. Again, Charde example. Getting back to the legacy issue, or whatever it's called, SC would be a great local choice for her. If it's not UCONN, I hope it's SC. BUT having one solid class won't even get SC to the final 4. Dawn would need to convince her that she can follow up 2014 with terrific classes in 2015 and 2016 for SC to really make a mark while A'ja would be there...

Alumni made a great point - it wasn't just Harper and Langhorne who led Maryland to the NC. They also had Tolliver, Shay Doran, Marissa Coleman, and I can't recall who else. That was a big cadre of great players. Much better than the group going to SC right now.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
By reading what Im reading yes we do and I think her family knows if she doesn't come to UConn what she might be giving up.
I don't believe that. Unless she chooses not to come to UCONN because she would be afraid of the attention or doesn't think she's good enough. Which from what I read about her isn't the case. If she chooses SC (or somewhere else), I think it will be quite the opposite of giving up. It will be to be a pioneer, make her own path. Now that path may or may not get her to where she wants to go, but it will be her path.

I still hope she wants that path to be UCONN. :)

Reaction Score
BUT having one solid class won't even get SC to the final 4. Dawn would need to convince her that she can follow up 2014 with terrific classes in 2015 and 2016 for SC to really make a mark while A'ja would be there....

You're completely discounting the players Staley already has on her roster though. I don't care to go into rankings too much because really all of that is thrown out of the window once you step in between the lines.

But SC has a very young team. They will essentially bring back their entire roster next season. They have just come off of two tournament appearances. It's not like they've been buried in the WNIT for these past few years. And it has been impressive what Staley has done with supposedly such "little talent" she's had up to this point. She reached the sweet sixteen just two seasons ago (for SC, this is big time) with her tallest player being 6'2".

I say none of this to delve into where I think Wilson should or will go. It's her choice. It will be UConn or some place else. I just wouldn't gauge a team's potential based on the number of 5 star recruits on their roster.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You're completely discounting the players Staley already has on her roster though. I don't care to go into rankings too much because really all of that is thrown out of the window once you step in between the lines.

But SC has a very young team. They will essentially bring back their entire roster next season. They have just come off of two tournament appearances. It's not like they've been buried in the WNIT for these past few years. And it has been impressive what Staley has done with supposedly such "little talent" she's had up to this point. She narrowly missed the elite 8 just two seasons ago with her tallest player being 6'2".

I say none of this to delve into where I think Wilson should or will go. It's her choice. It will be UConn or some place else. I just wouldn't gauge a team's potential based on the number of 5 star recruits on their roster.
Correct but most of that production comes from current juniors. Altho you are correct they are getting some good production from a sophomore and freshman. But several will be seniors her freshman year. I have no doubt a team like that could make it to the sweet 16. After that it will depend on how she recruits going forward.

A class of Wilson, White, Cuevas, etc. is not enough to keep up with Duke, UCONN, Maryland, ND, Tennessee, UNC, Louisville, etc etc. unless she can follow up with more top 10 kids. Don't get me wrong - a team like Cal can make it to a final 4 in a perfect storm without a cadre of top 10 kids. but that's the exception not the rule. And I have no doubt she would make a great mark in college hoops if she went to SC. So much depends on what goals are most important to her, as well as what factors are most important to her.

But I think most would agree that SC wouldn't be out performing UCONN, Duke, ND, or Tennessee any time soon with one really good class. And that's not including Maryland, UNC, and maybe several others who have recruited better than SC the past few years. Remember when FSU landed Natasha Howard in 2010? They already had Bravard, Deluzio and Clayton on their team and certainly made some noise in the NCAA's, but one great player wasn't enough to really make an impact.

Again, i'm not saying SC won't be solid to very good if she goes there. But if one has NC hopes and aspirations, there are MANY more unknowns if she chooses SC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More arrogance from the UCONN faithful..so no one can be great unless they play at UCONN.. where they would be surrounded by stars... I think anyone with half a basketball brain would realize that Elena created a legacy at Delaware (and nationally) as one of the best players EVER.. and is by far the most popular player on the scene these days (and guess what she shunned UCONN).. nobody on UCONN..not even Stewey , could go to Delaware and put them on the map like EDD..despite being a great achievement winning a NC is not the only goal of a collegiate athlete..this sounds like the reporters who judge QBs based on winning Super Bowls which would make Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino..maybe its a little more challenging to an athlete to try and be successful somewhere other than UCONN.. have fun playing in the new conference where it will be like the USA Team playing Panama..besides the UCONN faithful who love watching 30-40 pt blowouts it wont be of much interest to other girls BBall fans nor will it do much for trying to raise the interest of the womans game as a whole..

It looks to me like you're trying hard to create your own legacy as a hostile and nattering nabob of negativism on the Boneyard. Why don't you find another topic, and stop boring us?

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Just curious if anyone knows what team ciarlante owes his/her allegiance to.

It could explain a lot.

Reaction Score

But SC has a very young team. They will essentially bring back their entire roster next season. They have just come off of two tournament appearances. It's not like they've been buried in the WNIT for these past few years. And it has been impressive what Staley has done with supposedly such "little talent" she's had up to this point. She reached the sweet sixteen just two seasons ago (for SC, this is big time) with her tallest player being 6'2".

I don't think you can automatically assume that a team that made the Sweet 16 is an outstanding team. I'm sure there have been multiple times when a team has gotten there through a series of events that weren't all about quality basketball. Playing teams that were "perfectly suited" to play against, meaning your strengths might have exposed their weaknesses and resulted in a victory that playing against another team would never have happened. Playing a team whose most prominent player got injured just before or in the early part of your game or something similarly where your team was matched up against the ideal opponent and you played your -A- game while they were playing their -C-, -D-, or worse game against. I know even making the tournament suggests you have a nice team but more than a few mediocre teams have managed to win a few tournament games so that doesn't always suggest to me that you're a high quality team just by getting that far. I'm just being the devils advocate and suggesting she's got a ways to go before assuming she's a really good coach.

Reaction Score
A'ja should go to a school where she will be most happy. However, IMHO if one of her goals is to win a National Championship, that won't happen at South Carolina. It's rare that an elite player is able to recruit additional elite players to their school in subsequent recruiting classes. Even if South Carolina signs A'ja they still have a way to go to catch up to Kentucky and the Lady Vols. Never mind LSU and Georgia. However, if A'ja and her family are more comfortable staying close to home that's where she should go.

It will be interesting to see if she decides on UNC as that is also reasonably close to home and they have a nucleus to have a great team. However, IMHO that will always be Diamond's team and she will get the credit if they win any National Championships in the next four years.

Sure there are recruiting classes like UNC had last year and OSU is having this year where players in the same recruiting class decide they want to attend the same school. UConn had the TASSK class as well. How often does it happen with players in different recruiting classes. Not often enough to think that A'ja can do it. Now if A'ja had decided on a school already, she might have been able to get more elite players to consider a school like South Carolina. South Carolina is not a hot bed for Women Basketball Recruits so that will make A'ja's task more difficult if she decides on South Carolina.

Hopefully she decides UConn is the best place for her to go, time will tell.

Move over Diamond, this would be both there team. If she is good as we think she will leave a legacy as a great player at either Uconn or SC. At Uconn we are a little spoiled thinking that you must win a NC to do so.
To those who wrote that if she comes to Uconn she maybe overlooked for AA honors what world are you living in? Uconn has 4 players on the pre-season AA list and has had many multiple winners.
Playing with great players can make you better, and avoids double teams when one player is clearly better than the rest of the line up. Some players like EDD still excel as a lone star.
Other players like the Team USA concept when a group of great players play together and form a great team. This isn't high school anymore where a single unstoppable player takes you all the way. Playing at Uconn is playing 5 man basketball, not 1 and please don't screw up.
She is from SC (and there is some talent their) so you see why she may want to go there, but it would be hard to get other great players to follow her. The Paris sisters could only get so much talent to come to OU and OU was a much more established program at the time (they had already been in a title game) in recruiting than SC.
Ultimately, I actually think it comes down to does she want to play for Geno? He is the best coach in the world, and the way his teams play hard and in control for 40 min every night regardless of opponent or score is amazing. Dawn is a good coach, but when watching how Uconn plays nobody is Geno. She can stay home, win some games, and have a great career or go away, be a bit more challenged, win more games, play for Geno, and have a great career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom