"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco | Page 7 | The Boneyard

"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diaco just snapped Jim Calhoun not a dime back style (not quite the level of Ryan Gomes style) in regards to questioning his expectation of winning every game. It was fun/weird/made you feel like you were watching a really awkward moment on The Office. I'm rewatching it to pull out the text and I'll update this in a second

EdDaigneault12:21pm via TweetDeck
Diaco on his AAC media day performance: "I'm going to give it to you as I feel it."

EdDaigneault12:24pm via TweetDeck
Diaco just had a rather impassioned speech about his media day stuff.

EdDaigneault12:27pm via TweetDeck
Diaco said he was "pressed" by ?? about how many games Huskies would win. Never heard that question. Did hear "what are your expectations?"

Reaction Score
Diaco just snapped Jim Calhoun not a dime back style (not quite the level of Ryan Gomes style) in regards to questioning his expectation of winning every game. It was fun/weird/made you feel like you were watching a really awkward moment on The Office. I'm rewatching it to pull out the text and I'll update this in a second

Update: (read with emphatic Diaco blow out energy, emphasis, enthusiasm and disdain) paraphrasing through choppy audio "I was asked a question and it basically got down to my level of competitiveness, of our level of competitiveness, of all the investment that we have made and the kids have made, all the blood sweat and tears, of all the things that I've missed with my own kids and my wife, and everything else I've invested in this and you're asking me how many games I think I'm going to win? How many games you think you're going to win. How am I going to answer that? How do you want me to answer that? And how do you want our team to hear it? So that's part of it. Another part of it is we are incredibly excited about these guys, that's the middle part, that's part 2, we are jacked about our football family, we have players that have a massive amount of reps under their belt, they're veterans, they're ready to go, they're ready to compete! And the third piece, the third piece is the world is round. The world is round guys. We can sail that way and not worry about falling off the end, it's round, trust me, let's go. And also, I'm an optimist. I'm not a glass is half empty kind of guy. I'm a realist, i'm a realist, sometimes that plays out, sometimes it shouldn't. But i'm also an optimist, and I don't believe that me personally there's anything that I can't do. So then the things that we're involved in I don't think there's anything we can't do, the world is round. That's where, you know, you think about it Des, you asked a question.... we just got picked to finish last, I mean I just walked out of a meeting where we were picked to finish LAST! Then I try to answer your question and I get pressed, then I try to answer and get pressed again, here you go, here's what we're going to do - The team that was voted to finish last we're going to go undefeated and go to the playoffs and win the national championship. Yeah. That's the answer. (heavy heavy sarcasm the last two sentances) ."

Reaction Score
Last year was asking the fat kid run the 400m hurdles. What did you expect?
I expected to beat Army and SMU at minimum and at least 1 of Tulane and USF. Honestly. That was a pretty low bar. Like asking the fat kid to clear a 6 inch hurdle.
You didn't like how the coach got the fat kid around the track. Does the possibility exist that you may have underestimated or or not appreciate how truly out of shape the kid was last year? Who on O and Specials did you trust to jump over that 6 in hurdle last year?
oh maybe Davis being in the race (ie on the field) at key moments just to name one. Say what you will Army and SMU shouldn't have even been 6 inch hurdles. SMU was 0-11 on the road in the cold northeast just looking to end their misery. You're seriously making an excuse for that? Seriously? And Army was a big name in, oh, 1957 or so. Just to refresh your memory Army lost to Yale. And Western Kentucky. And Rice. Again, you really want to make excuses for that?

Reaction Score
I expected to beat Army and SMU at minimum and at least 1 of Tulane and USF. Honestly. That was a pretty low bar. Like asking the fat kid to clear a 6 inch hurdle.

oh maybe Davis being in the race (ie on the field) at key moments just to name one. Say what you will Army and SMU shouldn't have even been 6 inch hurdles. SMU was 0-11 on the road in the cold northeast just looking to end their misery. You're seriously making an excuse for that? Seriously? And Army was a big name in, oh, 1957 or so. Just to refresh your memory Army lost to Yale. And Western Kentucky. And Rice. Again, you really want to make excuses for that?

One. I was in for two.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Our emperor wears no clothes and belongs in a padded room, goodness gracious. I'm glad he thinks we have one of the best receivers in the country, just wish someone had asked him if he'll be on the field during critical times. And no worries about barstool making fun of us, I've been assured by certain people on this board that recruits dont' read that site.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Our emperor wears no clothes and belongs in a padded room, goodness gracious. I'm glad he thinks we have one of the best receivers in the country, just wish someone had asked him if he'll be on the field during critical times. And no worries about barstool making fun of us, I've been assured by certain people on this board that recruits dont' read that site.

Troll harder, I dare you.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Troll harder, I dare you.

I'm waiting to see if Diaco holds another Starting QB Press Conference, if so I'm sure it will give me better material. And how are the metrics for Barstool these days, kids still staying away from that site in droves?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Your act is incredibly old.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see if Diaco holds another Starting QB Press Conference, if so I'm sure it will give me better material. And how are the metrics for Barstool these days, kids still staying away from that site in droves?

Leave the "act like a 10 year old" shtick to actual 10 year olds, please. The real adults in the room don't appreciate it.

Reaction Score
Urban Meyer couldn't have done much better with last years team.

The team was beyond a mess and you of all people know this.

Diaco is rebuilding a program, not a team. Not the same thing.
The return of the apologistas! I betcha Urban beats Army and SMU.

Perfect Hair

Reaction Score
Leave the "act like a 10 year old" shtick to actual 10 year olds, please. The real adults in the room don't appreciate it.

The ironic thing is the "real adults" are the ones drinking the Kool-Aid

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The return of the apologistas! I betcha Urban beats Army and SMU.

Don't tell me you wouldn't kill for an Edsall-esque 7-5/8-4 and a bowl after the past four seasons. Those apologistas are right on the money.

Reaction Score
Well if he turns things around, he's a mad genius. If not he's just mad.
I honestly don't think he totally got just how demanding the UConn fan base is. We are used to winning championships across the board. As pal says, we pile up conference titles like cordwood. And compete for national ones in multiple sports. In contrast, I think Cav got that and knew he couldn't go 2-22 in Hockey East like folks were predicting. Diaco didn't get it. Add the fact that unlike a Memphis, we had a winning program not decades ago but 3 years ago. And throw in the conference situation and there is huge pressure to turn things around.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Well if he turns things around, he's a mad genius. If not he's just mad.
I honestly don't think he totally got just how demanding the UConn fan base is. We are used to winning championships across the board. As pal says, we pile up conference titles like cordwood. And compete for national ones in multiple sports. In contrast, I think Cav got that and knew he couldn't go 2-22 in Hockey East like folks were predicting. Diaco didn't get it. Add the fact that unlike a Memphis, we had a winning program not decades ago but 3 years ago. And throw in the conference situation and there is huge pressure to turn things around.
I agree with the general premise but I wouldn't say he doesn't understand how demanding the UConn fans are. I think he knows we would prefer 2-10 and 7-5 in his first two seasons over 4-8 and 5-7. And I think he truly believed that by getting everyone as many reps as possible last year he would give us a decent shot at getting back to a bowl game in 2015 even if it meant losing a couple more games. Remains to be seen, but that's my 2 cents on what his thought process was.

Reaction Score
And I think he truly believed that by getting everyone as many reps as possible last year he would give us a decent shot at getting back to a bowl game in 2015 even if it meant losing a couple more games. Remains to be seen, but that's my 2 cents on what his thought process was.

This. 50 different players played in the BYU game. Just think about that number for a second. Factor that, additional rotation, and injuries, while I readily admit the SMU and Army games should have been wins regardless, I believe he was trying to put is in the best possible position for year 2 (maybe 3). With the number of starters this year that had game reps or are recognizable at a minimum in name, not out of the shadows, tough schedule or not there are 4+ wins available.

Reaction Score
Update: (read with emphatic Diaco blow out energy, emphasis, enthusiasm and disdain) paraphrasing through choppy audio "I was asked a question and it basically got down to my level of competitiveness, of our level of competitiveness, of all the investment that we have made and the kids have made, all the blood sweat and tears, of all the things that I've missed with my own kids and my wife, and everything else I've invested in this and you're asking me how many games I think I'm going to win? How many games you think you're going to win. How am I going to answer that? How do you want me to answer that? And how do you want our team to hear it? So that's part of it. Another part of it is we are incredibly excited about these guys, that's the middle part, that's part 2, we are jacked about our football family, we have players that have a massive amount of reps under their belt, they're veterans, they're ready to go, they're ready to compete! And the third piece, the third piece is the world is round. The world is round guys. We can sail that way and not worry about falling off the end, it's round, trust me, let's go. And also, I'm an optimist. I'm not a glass is half empty kind of guy. I'm a realist, i'm a realist, sometimes that plays out, sometimes it shouldn't. But i'm also an optimist, and I don't believe that me personally there's anything that I can't do. So then the things that we're involved in I don't think there's anything we can't do, the world is round. That's where, you know, you think about it Des, you asked a question.... we just got picked to finish last, I mean I just walked out of a meeting where we were picked to finish LAST! Then I try to answer your question and I get pressed, then I try to answer and get pressed again, here you go, here's what we're going to do - The team that was voted to finish last we're going to go undefeated and go to the playoffs and win the national championship. Yeah. That's the answer. (heavy heavy sarcasm the last two sentances) ."

If that explanation does not help those who think he's crazy, then nothing will.

Dumb questions deserve that kind of answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom