The Dorka Dilemma! | The Boneyard

The Dorka Dilemma!

Reaction Score
It is a dilemma. As Joni Mitchell once famously sang, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone". Dorka most definitely will be missed this weekend. I'm resigned to accepting the outcome against Stanford whatever it might be (and obviously hoping for the best), and giving our women credit for reaching the Final Four, which is quite an achievement under this year's circumstances.

Reaction Score
If, for some reason, both Nelson-Ododa and Edwards are in foul trouble, as they were v NC State, where neither may be present on the floor, what then?

Hopefully, with the week to prepare contingencies, there's a plan in place, as this is a very real possibility given Brink, Belibi, Jones (leading rebounder v Texas with 12 to Belibi's 11 and Brink's 6) and a game plan that will surely revolve around penetration to the basket and crashing the O-boards (12 v Texas).

One hopes it never comes to this - file under "Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst."

Reaction Score
Dorka stepped on the court last game and looked like an AA for her brief moments. And then, disaster. This has been a season of extreme ups and downs. But here we are in the FF. Whatever happens, the players will leave everything on the floor like they did against NC St. All we can do is root for them. With all that has happened, I’ve never rooted harder for a team.

Reaction Score
If, for some reason, both Nelson-Ododa and Edwards are in foul trouble, as they were v NC State, where neither may be present on the floor, what then?

Hopefully, with the week to prepare contingencies, there's a plan in place, as this is a very real possibility given Brink, Belibi, Jones (leading rebounder v Texas with 12 to Belibi's 11 and Brink's 6) and a game plan that will surely revolve around penetration to the basket and crashing the O-boards (12 v Texas).

One hopes it never comes to this - file under "Hope for the Best, Plan for the Worst."
CD and Amari

Reaction Score

Zone defense?

Reaction Score
A bit OT, but it occurs to me that it's going to be a long while until Dorka can use a
dumbbell or barbell or any piece of exercise equipment that puts a strain on her wrist.

I don't know about these things, but is it possible to use electrical currents to stimulate
the arm and shoulder muscles to prevent atrophy?

Reaction Score
CD and Amari
Amari seems the most obvious response, though coach has evidenced quite resolute resistance to it.

CD, while the most obvious of the remaining rotation players, hasn't appeared herself post injury. But even perfectly healthy, she seems better suited v Jones, overmatched v Brink / Belibi.

If those 2 are out, zone would appear mandatory. Then hope for Stanford's 4 for 27 v Texas from 3, rather than their 6 for 21 or 9 for 22 in their prior 2 games.

5 days to get it sorted. Coach and team will earn their respective salaries prepping this one!

Reaction Score
Oh, I wouldn't worry too much. The basketball gods have just presented this team with another obstacle to see if they can overcome, at the end of which they can occupy space as the most lovable of UConn teams, NC12 or not.....but I believe they are NC worthy despite the absence of Dorka. They have a good coach, you know: he'll figure out something if he needs to and if there is no solution, he is a good sport as are everyone in his team.

Brink is foul prone, they should attack her. It's really Belibi among those Stanford posts who raises their level when Brink is hampered with foul trouble but I think Aaliyah can slow her down. I have said a number of times that Stanford is the greater obstacle than SC to NC12 but I haven't changed my mind about UConn's chances of getting it....a little thinner margin but I believe they will come through.

As for the fascination with a 5th guard, I am posting here what I already did elsewhere:

I don't understand the obsession with a 5th guard, as if the Coach is wedded to playing only a certain way: 3 guards and 2 bigs or sometimes 4 and a big. He adapts playing style according to his roster.

While the current collection of tall girls does not have one who can play a mobile wing, I understand that Ayanna would qualify. And, if he wants to play 3 guards, Caroline is the best candidate among them to play wing but it does not preclude playing Azzi, Paige and Nika at the same time. But, as someone pointed out, how easily some people forget about Aubrey.

Were it not for the injury, the effort to remold Aubrey would have progressed this year. That Aubrey project will continue - he likes her athleticism, they are trying to fix the weaknesses - although it lost a good year for it to progress. For coaches, this is the fun of challenges in College BB: coaching players to find their best positions and roles, refining their abilities and expanding their capabilities.

Yes, I understand the fans' trauma from this year's injuries mostly to guards and Geno's proclivity of play incoming guards as wings or occasionally F (see Katie Lou and Gabby.....didn't Megan play as a guard as well in HS?) feeds the more-guards-needed notion but he really looks at the roster and tries to balance the use of his players' qualities in maximizing their chances to win.

The roster for next year is fine - different from heavy use of the tall guards at his disposal this year, since he likes to play fast. The forwards will be a bit crowded for playing time since Dorka is coming back (which is quite good....). There six tall ones, with Aubrey - if you count her there - a seventh. So, if the coaching staff continues with the remaking of Aubrey into guard/wing and expanding Ayanna's role to wing as well (knowing this coaching staff, I am certain they are looking at that), the ability to play fast remains undiminished. But, the possibilities grow for playing against bigger teams with advantage in mobility and flexibility while the ability to dominate smaller teams remains intact.

Reaction Score
We actually match up fine to Stanford in height, its more the drives to the basket I am concerned with. Particularly with the last game and the fouls and baskets they caused in mind, I suspect Geno is working on some new wrinkle to keep Jones and team from blowing by our guards and forcing ONO and Edwards to come over to help. I suspect Stanford is plotting something similar to stop Paige's and Fudd's mid-range shots. Should be a classic game.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno may go with a different line up. Why not start four guards plus Olivia? Then have Edwards and Ducharme subbing in. Start Fudd, Williams, Bueckers and Westbrook. Then rotate Muhl in and out. I doubt that Gabriel will get minutes. DeBerry may come in for a couple at the end of the second quarter. From there it's game on.

Reaction Score
The loss of Dorka hurts but there are many options that the coaching staff are probably considering. If the coaching staff are doing their jobs correctly, and I know that they are, skill development is always key. A lot of the players not getting minutes could be huge in this Stanford matchup. 2-3 minutes are quarter could help or hurt but a lot depends on the development of the players, and I got faith in our coaching staff, practice team, and the players themselves.

Reaction Score
ONO and Aaliyah must stay out of early foul trouble (late too:D) . I repeat, must stay out of early foul trouble. Some of those fouls that they committed in the NC State game are avoidable. They are key for the team to get pass Stanford. I have faith in them. They will be able to play aggressively late in the game. Let’s GO UCONN! ;):cool:

Reaction Score
South Carolina is not an issue at this point. Stanford is the next game. And what if Louisville beats SC?
Let's not jump ahead. DOOMED. WE ARE DOOMED.

Stop messing w/the MOJO.
Agree, remember a few years back when Loolville beat Baylor, then we clobbered them for the NC.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
So far this year DeBerry has done nothing. Zip, Nada. At least Gabriel can put the ball in the basket and she isn't afraid to mix it up for a rebound.

Obviously neither player is ready for prime time and Auriemma will never use them, but I think that they might step up if both the foul prone bigs get in trouble.

Reaction Score
Put a strong brace on her wrist and let her play. She could be a great defender and make layups.
We've had no report on the seriousness of the wrist injury. Hum, it makes me curious ?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They basically played the last game without Dorka and prevailed. They can do it again.
The game against Indiana, Dorca played vey little.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m just wondering how Stanford will ever be able to match up with UConn’s guards. NC St had a big, athletic front line that struggled to stay with UConn’s guards on switches and help defense all night long. The guards scored 73 of UConn’s 91 points.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
:) No doubt missing Dorka but THERE IS NO QUIT for this team. I really don't think UConn plays their best BB yet :):)
I’ve been watching UConn all season. I had my doubts about just how tough and resilient this team could be when the score was close and the rims were “tight.” UConn showed me something Monday. They didn't quit or back down. That had to be the most satisfying win this season. You knock off the regional 1 seed, and you win the tournament.

I commented before the game that UConn was going to have to take the game. NCS was not going to give them the game or beat themselves. That's exactly what the Huskies did. It’s number 1 seeded teams for UConn the rest of the way.

No matter what, UConn only has 2 games left in the season. Let's make the most of it and take care of Stanford Friday. I was hoping other teams would knock off SC and Stanford before now, no such luck. I expect this next game to be just as nervous and intense as the NCS game.

Reaction Score
We've had no report on the seriousness of the wrist injury. Hum, it makes me curious ?
I assume the poster who is saying they should put a brace on her and let her play, was being facetious? Her wrist was fractured and dislocated! If you saw the film you would no longer be curious! It looked very bad! Now it may be that it was a “clean” break and may therefore heal more easily but, it wasn’t pretty. Wishing her all the best for a full recovery and a long, successful career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom