The Dorka Dilemma! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Dorka Dilemma!

Reaction Score
I’m just wondering how Stanford will ever be able to match up with UConn’s guards. NC St had a big, athletic front line that struggled to stay with UConn’s guards on switches and help defense all night long. The guards scored 73 of UConn’s 9NC State.
Elissa Cunane scored 18 pts and UConn still won the game. Reduce the fouls, turnovers, make some more FTs and the super guards play a great game and I like our chance. We will need them to defeat Stanford.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I assume the poster who is saying they should put a brace on her and let her play, was being facetious? Her wrist was fractured and dislocated! If you saw the film you would no longer be curious! It looked very bad! Now it may be that it was a “clean” break and may therefore heal more easily but, it wasn’t pretty. Wishing her all the best for a full recovery and a long, successful career.
And that is an understatement!

Reaction Score
I only care about one thing. That we come in there engaged and focused, unfazed and determined. We have not given our best efforts in the last FFs for whatever the reasons may be. If they play as hard as they can I will be happy. It is all you can ask for this year. I also agree that this team has been the easiest ever to fall in love with. The courage, resilience, affection, and team chemistry have been nonpareil.

Reaction Score
I’m just wondering how Stanford will ever be able to match up with UConn’s guards. NC St had a big, athletic front line that struggled to stay with UConn’s guards on switches and help defense all night long. The guards scored 73 of UConn’s 91 points.
idk if you watch Stanford games, but they have a 6th year sr in Anna Wilson who is a lockdown defender.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
We've had no report on the seriousness of the wrist injury. Hum, it makes me curious ?
You are right. I have seen a player break his wrist on his shooting hand. He then took a few days off, and played 8 more games to finish the season.
The problem is: I don't know if the NCAA would allow someone to play with a hard cast on his/her wrist.

Reaction Score
Crazy idea but I would consider this starting lineup: Liv, CW, Paige, Azzi, Caroline. Then Liv and AE could rotate or when Belibi and Brink are both in together play them both. Often they do not play together in the same lineup if I remember correctly, for more than 10 minutes a game or so. Caroline has proven that she can give us at least 30 minutes. I'd roll the dice with Caroline.

We want to out rebound them and that would be a challenge but we probably force more turnovers with this lineup, which is Stanford's Achilles heel. They've had around 20 turnovers in both of the last 2 games. I also think we score more with this lineup. To a degree, Caroline is a good matchup with Haley Jones. Caroline blocks out well and would reduce Haley's rebounds which are a big problem as she's their #2 rebounder I believe. Maybe we lose that matchup but we probably lose it with anyone we put on her and maybe this limits the damage while helping our offense at least a little.

I don't think we keep our posts in the game otherwise. They are going to give Brink ample opportunity to attack inside. She's so quick and skilled she's tough to stop. We need our posts to be both fresh and available. They can still play together 10 minutes a game with this option and they will need to as Brink / Belibi are played together some.

Stanford is vulnerable to the pull up jumper at the top of the key. You know, the same ones Paige made 8 in a row of the other day and Rori Harmon beat them with earlier in the year. Azzi has that in her game. CW, Evina and Caroline do as well. Both the 3 and the pull up jumper are our best scoring opportunities, as well as points off turnovers.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do see Amari or Piath for a few minutes just to spell the bigs, especially on offense. Where they hurt us most is on defense. Brink can't really push them around so i think I'd play Amari or Piath 2 minutes against her, just to spell the bigs. Maybe once a half. That's it though. I'd much rather have Caroline, Evina or Nika.

We are going to half to do it with smoke and mirrors to a degree. Losing Dorka definitely hurts us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
idk if you watch Stanford games, but they have a 6th year sr in Anna Wilson who is a lockdown defender.
Wilson plays about 24-25 mpg as Tara has been going with a bigger lineup. But even if Wilson is a lockdown guard, which UConn guard is she gonna matchup with? Likely not Paige, who will run her through screens all night long and shoot over her.

Reaction Score
Wilson plays about 24-25 mpg as Tara has been going with a bigger lineup. But even if Wilson is a lockdown guard, which UConn guard is she gonna matchup with? Likely not Paige, who will run her through screens all night long and shoot over her.
Fudd and I think Stanford would accept that as a draw.

Reaction Score
So far this year DeBerry has done nothing. Zip, Nada. At least Gabriel can put the ball in the basket and she isn't afraid to mix it up for a rebound.

Obviously neither player is ready for prime time and Auriemma will never use them, but I think that they might step up if both the foul prone bigs get in trouble.
I don’t understand being so hard on Amari. In the limited time she’s gotten she has shown a good jump shot and to be a good passer. Also she is 6’5” and has 5 fouls to use.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno may go with a different line up. Why not start four guards plus Olivia? Then have Edwards and Ducharme subbing in. Start Fudd, Williams, Bueckers and Westbrook. Then rotate Muhl in and out. I doubt that Gabriel will get minutes. DeBerry may come in for a couple at the end of the second quarter. From there it's game on.
Looking at the stats from the NCS game, UConn "gave up" on 3s and turned to 10's -- stop and pop shots around the foul line and short distances on the baseline, and the shooting percentage went way up. With four guards and a lot of careful movement those kinds of shots will be available against Stanford.

Reaction Score
Stanford and South Carolina will be dominant in the paint. So how will Geno respond to the absence of Dorka? Also, I keep on reading how UConn needs another guard for next year….. Really?…. IMO their in dire need of a dominant big…
Transfer portal!!!! ?????

Reaction Score
I don’t understand being so hard on Amari. In the limited time she’s gotten she has shown a good jump shot and to be a good passer. Also she is 6’5” and has 5 fouls to use.
Because many on this board see the team's ongoing weakness as a lack of a big post player that can take up space, move opponents, and muscle in tough shots at the rim. Amari is more like ONO in that she's a high post player that wants to take 15-20 footers rather than bang down low, so despite her height, she is not going to be the solution to that problem.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a few years back there was an issue with our bigs in foul trouble and a player who rarely played meaningful minutes came of the bench, played 10-12 mins and REALLY stepped up. Played good D , pulled down a few boards. Hopefully, if foul trouble does happen, one of the two (Paith /Amari) can do do the same.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Stanford and South Carolina will be dominant in the paint. So how will Geno respond to the absence of Dorka?
It appears Caroline will be used much more in Dorka's absence. Hopefully being glued to the bench for the tournament thus far will not have affected her game adversely. Stanford is long so Caroline may not have her usual height advantage near the basket. This will be interesting.

Reaction Score
We want to out rebound them and that would be a challenge but we probably force more turnovers with this lineup, which is Stanford's Achilles heel. They've had around 20 turnovers in both of the last 2 games. I also think we score more with this lineup. To a degree, Caroline is a good matchup with Haley Jones. Caroline blocks out well and would reduce Haley's rebounds which are a big problem as she's their #2 rebounder I believe. Maybe we lose that matchup but we probably lose it with anyone we put on her and maybe this limits the damage while helping our offense at least a little.

I don't think we keep our posts in the game otherwise. They are going to give Brink ample opportunity to attack inside. She's so quick and skilled she's tough to stop. We need our posts to be both fresh and available. They can still play together 10 minutes a game with this option and they will need to as Brink / Belibi are played together some.
Good post, I highlighted this part to add that our bigs need to have as top priority not blocking shots but rather to continue to play good position with hands up, then block out to grab the rebound. If a block is available, sure as they help, but too often a foul is called. And please don't foul way far out from the basket! When Liv got her first foul against NCSt miles from the basket, then the inevitable second foul confined her to the bench for the remainder of the half. Stay near the basket on defense! Same with Aaliyah, who really is a pretty good defender- goal is to end the half with only one foul. This way you stay in the game; can't help the team from the bench.

Love playing Caroline more and really hope Geno tries using her over Evina. Nothing against Evina, but I like Caroline's overall skills much better, and I feel she has been cheated of minutes to some extent.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Also, I keep on reading how UConn needs another guard for next year….. Really?…. IMO their in dire need of a dominant big…
I agree. UCONN has needed a dominant big for the last 6 years. Hopefully Amari will be given a chance to display her great footwork as Geno, himself, described. But dominant would be a huge leap from being glued to the bench all season. Why would a dominant high school post recruit expect to be developed at UCONN? Because of the development of Stewie and Steph? Pheesa? What is dominant? Perhaps only Stewie can be accurately described as a dominant post. Dominant is a big order. Did Stanford get the next dominant post in Betts?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Put a strong brace on her wrist and let her play. She could be a great defender and make layups.
From what I have read Dorka suffered a compound fracture. Even with a very strong brace any pressure will be quite painful. And don't even think of localized pain killers. Even with a brace there could be a displacement of the fracture. The risk of permanent damage is too great. Once again:
"it isn't life and death. It's just basketball." Geno Auriemma

Reaction Score
Geno had all season to develop a contingency ... Amari DuBerry. Now he has to hope Caroline is the answer.
If Edwards and Nelson-Ododa are both off the floor at the same time, especially with this matchup, it would appear DeBerry at 6'5" is the only reasonable option. As it relates, the chorus from John Fogerty's "Centerfield" comes to mind. ;)

Very intrigued to see what coach decides. Day and a half (+/-) to find out.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Hull sisters quick? Which UConn guards are small? Jones has a loose handle dribbles high. So do the Hull sisters. Jones would only have an advantage in a post up situation.

Reaction Score
If we had to guess who subs in for Dorka it's probably Evina though right? I'm just saying I'd give Caroline more PT. It's tough to take a chance but I have faith in Caroline. She could help us in many of the same ways Haley helps Stanford. It's not like Haley is a speed demon. Staying in front of her is not the problem.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Elissa Cunane scored 18 pts and UConn still won the game. Reduce the fouls, turnovers, make some more FTs and the super guards play a great game and I like our chance. We will need them to defeat Stanford.
Before the North Carolina State game, I posted a comment that predicted if UConn was going to win, they would have to TAKE IT. NCS was not going to give it to them or beat themselves. They went down, but it took two overtime periods. They scratched and clawed the entire game. Like Michael Meyers, they kept coming back.

Fast forward to tomorrow night. Same thing. Stanford will show up. They won't quit or play scared. Las Vegas has them favored by 8. They no doubt agree with that line. They think they can and will win. Why not? They are the reigning national champions. Confidence is not something they lack.

Everyone connected with that program expects them to bring the NC trophy back home with them. UConn has the heart and talent to send them home early........empty handed.

If UConn can just play hard, smart (no dumb fouls), take care of the ball, and make their bunnies and free throws, they should be ok. Try to win each 5 minute segment.

We should know in the first 3 minutes what kind of game it's going to be. UConn can’t start slow and play catch up the rest of the quarter. UConn must get off to a fast start. Somebody needs to get 3-4 baskets in the first 2 minutes.

Let the Cardinal know (quoting Mike Singletary of the Superbowl champion 1985 Bears) “I like this kind of party.” And assure them you’re going to be here for the next 38 minutes doing whatever it takes to win.

Go hard or go home. No plays off. Everybody eats. Balanced scoring among the starters with lots of help from the bench. Win this one for Dorka. Get to the championship game by any means necessary. Whatever it takes…….find a way to win.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom