The days of the ACC being an elite BB conference are over. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The days of the ACC being an elite BB conference are over.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC, like all the P4's, is missing a fundamental understanding of the product they are selling. They think they are selling the top programs, because that is kind of what happened during the last 15 years or so during the peak of the cable bundle era. What they are actually selling is the games. They are selling matchups that fans care about took decades to develop, and a few years to tear apart. Fans are not going to care much about a lot of the games in the new ACC schedule. They don't know the schools and have no history with them.

College sports is one of the most unusual entertainment options anywhere in the world, and it developed in a large part because fans cared about their own schools, but they also cared about the schools they were playing. Who in the ACC cares about SMU? Who are Virginia Tech fans going to feel about less games against the North Carolina schools, and more games against California schools.

I think fan interest in the former Pac 12 schools is going to fall off a cliff. These were schools that always had trouble attracting fans, even when they were good, and now they have schedules littered with Clemson and Iowa and Cincinnati. People in the West play sports, but they don't necessarily watch sports.

Reaction Score
It seems like as long as you’re in a decent conference it doesn’t matter. The big names will continue to be so and UCONN has cemented their spot especially with Hurley now. What did the ACC do for Pit, Cuse and BC?
We’re in a good enough conference, no reason to feel inferior and with Hurley bringing in great talent we’ll be in the mix every year. What more can you ask?
We don’t have five 5 stars coming in like Duke but who does? And it only makes our successes sweeter.

Reaction Score
It seems like as long as you’re in a decent conference it doesn’t matter. The big names will continue to be so and UCONN has cemented their spot especially with Hurley now. What did the ACC do for Pit, Cuse and BC?
We’re in a good enough conference, no reason to feel inferior and with Hurley bringing in great talent we’ll be in the mix every year. What more can you ask?
We don’t have five 5 stars coming in like Duke but who does? And it only makes our successes sweeter.
This goes back to revenue. You can’t run a basketball championship mill like we do on $4,000,000 a year. We need football money or we will soon be non-competitive in paying coaches and building facilities. We are pretty much maxed out. As much as some people want to ignore this, it’s real. One day, you’ll wake up to hear KU or UK is paying their basketball coach 12 mill per year and our goose will be cooked.

Reaction Score
This goes back to revenue. You can’t run a basketball championship mill like we do on $4,000,000 a year. We need football money or we will soon be non-competitive in paying coaches and building facilities. We are pretty much maxed out. As much as some people want to ignore this, it’s real. One day, you’ll wake up to hear KU or UK is paying their basketball coach 12 mill per year and our goose will be cooked.
Coach K was making 10 million per year over a decade ago, over three times what Calhoun was making. K made nearly 14 million in his final season. UConn never had a problem competing against them.

Reaction Score
Unless alumni step up and fill the revenue void

Reaction Score
ACC schools, top 50 KenPom finishes in the last 5 seasons:
Duke - 5
Virginia - 4
UNC - 4
Fla St - 3
Miami - 2
Clemson - 2
Syracuse - 2
Va Tech - 2
Louisville - 2
NC State - 1
Wake - 1
Ga Tech - 1
Notre Dame - 1
Pitt - 0
BC - 0
--
Stanford - 1
Cal - 0
SMU - 0

Crazy stat I stumbled into. BC hasn't finished in the top 60 of KenPom in 16 years.

Reaction Score
Duke - 5
Virginia - 4
UNC - 4
Fla St - 3
Miami - 2
Clemson - 2
Syracuse - 2
Va Tech - 2
Louisville - 2
NC State - 1
Wake - 1
Ga Tech - 1
Notre Dame - 1
Pitt - 0
BC - 0
--
Stanford - 1
Cal - 0
SMU - 0

Crazy stat I stumbled into. BC hasn't finished in the top 60 of KenPom in 16 years.
Feeble

Reaction Score
Funny that Apple News picked up that Norlander article from CBSSports.com.

Why does Norlander hate UConn? That has to be the stupidest comment I’ve heard regarding the game.

Reaction Score
Why does Norlander hate UConn? That has to be the stupidest comment I’ve heard regarding the game.
Which comment? Are you talking about this comment below? Not sure why that showed up in there. I should have done something to take it out but that's what showed up when I put in the link to the post.

Had a chance to laugh at them for their choosing SMU over UConn last night. But instead the football team decided to look like an A10 program against a very beatable Wolfpack squad.

That's not from Norlander. That's from @mauconnfan in that thread. Don't think Norlander mentioned UConn at all in the article.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This whole realignment game has gone stale.

Three scenarios I’d be interested in:
Most likely: UCONN keeps all sports in BE and joins a football only conference with the likes of Army, Navy, Buffalo, Temple, UMass, WSU, OSU, plus 2 to 4 more. Ride this until the whole thing blows up.
Much much less likely: BE merges with B1G to form a mega conference.
Extremely unlikely: SEC makes a northern push and grabs some northeast schools. Just like Rutgers going to B1G didn’t dilute their football image, the SEC could absorb some weaker football schools.
SEC brings in UCONN. UCONN agrees to play 40% of their home games in Boston, Jersey, or Philly

Reaction Score
Duke - 5
Virginia - 4
UNC - 4
Fla St - 3
Miami - 2
Clemson - 2
Syracuse - 2
Va Tech - 2
Louisville - 2
NC State - 1
Wake - 1
Ga Tech - 1
Notre Dame - 1
Pitt - 0
BC - 0
--
Stanford - 1
Cal - 0
SMU - 0

Imagine showing this to the ACC athletic directors 7/8 years ago, they wouldnt believe it, Notre dame, pitt louisville syracuse alll declining at the same time is interesting... I wonder if it has to do with anything specific that happened about 7/8 years ago

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I prefer UConn in the Big East than the ACC.
I prefer Uconn right where we are over anywhere else. DO NOT make decisions based on money - it never works out. I live my life by this. If a new job offers $50,000 more per year BUT I have to work way more and/or sacrifice more time and happiness, I will never take it. Money is just an idea...a thought. My life and my happiness are real. Unfortunately, I don't think many others think like this, and we will eventually end up in another conference. It's sad.

Reaction Score
I too want to stay in the BE. We have some very good rivalries and will continue to build more ie Creighton,Xavier. I am ok with the Football team staying independent. Hopefully they continue to improve year over year. We will never be a football powerhouse and that’s OK. I want us to remain an elite basketball school. The BE can help us achieve this.

Reaction Score
Which comment? Are you talking about this comment below? Not sure why that showed up in there. I should have done something to take it out but that's what showed up when I put in the link to the post.

Had a chance to laugh at them for their choosing SMU over UConn last night. But instead the football team decided to look like an A10 program against a very beatable Wolfpack squad.

That's not from Norlander. That's from @mauconnfan in that thread. Don't think Norlander mentioned UConn at all in the article.
Not mau!

Reaction Score
Coach K was making 10 million per year over a decade ago, over three times what Calhoun was making. K made nearly 14 million in his final season. UConn never had a problem competing against them.
That was one coach. Wait until it’s 20 of them. It just isn’t a risk we want to take.

Reaction Score
That was one coach. Wait until it’s 20 of them. It just isn’t a risk we want to take.
I'm not in the least bit concerned about our basketball program.

Reaction Score
With traditional basketball schools like Cuse , Louisville , Duke , UNC, VA , even FSU , Miami , NCS , GT , Wake , Clemson
Pitt have had moments I think writing their obituary may be a bit premature.
BC is a hopeless case
Ummm. Half these schools are not "traditional basketball schools." Sure, Cuse, Louisville, UNC are. Virginia has a title now. NC State used to be great, so sure, I guess, almost in the same way that Oklahoma State is a traditional power.

But the rest of those schools have essentially no history.
  • Clemson has 1 Elite 8 ever. In 1980. And they have only ever won the ACCT once.
  • Wake has a Final Four in the 1960s but hasn't been in the second weekend since 1996. Before then, 1984.
  • Georgia Tech has 2 Final Fours ever. They haven't been out of the first weekend since 2004 and if not for a miracle run in the ACCT would have missed the NCAAs for well over a decade.
  • Miami has 2 E8s and 1 FF ever. Those two E8s were the last two years.
  • Florida State has 1 Final Four in 1972 and has done essentially nothing from then until Hamilton showed up. A few S16 and a 2018 E8 is not a "traditional basketball school" and certainly not one that can buoy a weak conference.

Reaction Score
It's a super top heavy conference and the top is solid. But with recent additions, it's obvious their focus is not on basketball. I don't know much about realignment but I'm sure that will catch up to them soon. Last year was not a good look for them

I think Miami has turned the corner and will remain a really good team. But with FSU likely leaving, will they even stay in the ACC? I won't give the new Cuse coach the benefit of the doubt, but anything should be an improvement and a start in turning that program around

They have a lot of teams that will be horrible in perpetuity (BC, Wake, GT, Louisville, probably Cuse). The 3 new additions will also be in that list. They need Duke, UNC, and UVA to be permanently great to keep relevance

Again I don't know much about realignment, but a member publicly saying they're going to leave tells me that the conference will blow up soon. If they center their rebuild around football instead of basketball, they'll kill the conference

Reaction Score
I totally disagree that they'll be horrible by adding these schools. I'm sure SMU will be attractive to recruits. I only have problems with
Duke - 5
Virginia - 4
UNC - 4
Fla St - 3
Miami - 2
Clemson - 2
Syracuse - 2
Va Tech - 2
Louisville - 2
NC State - 1
Wake - 1
Ga Tech - 1
Notre Dame - 1
Pitt - 0
BC - 0
--
Stanford - 1
Cal - 0
SMU - 0

I feel the travel just isn't attractive to recruits and their parents. Games aren't really fair driving distance. Flying can be very expensive

caw

Reaction Score
My main question is why Cal hired Mark Madsen and Stanford didn't?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom