The college football door is ajar in the northeast.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The college football door is ajar in the northeast....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Loyalty didn't win out, them building him a new stadium won out. I'm pretty sure that the fact that Kraft screwed Connecticut allows Giants fans to say Kraft and the Patriots.

UMass playing in Gilette is ridiculous. That defies all types of logic.
Whatever, man. But I have read that the Hartford stadium proposal was favorable compared to the new Foxboro stadium from a business perspective. That's where loyalty to Massachusetts came into play. The NFL absolutely preferred the Patriots stay in the Boston area and helped make it possible. The Krafts are obviously willing to help out UMass take the next step up. I'd rather play them regularly than BC. That's just me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whatever, man. But I have read that the Hartford stadium proposal was favorable compared to the new Foxboro stadium from a business perspective. That's where loyalty to Massachusetts came into play. The NFL absolutely preferred the Patriots stay in the Boston area and helped make it possible. The Krafts are obviously willing to help out UMass take the next step up. I'd rather play them regularly than BC. That's just me.

If you think leveraging another city for a new stadium is loyalty then I guess we define the word differently. I have no idea why someone would want to play a team transitioning to the MAC instead of getting a crack at an ACC team that has done everything in their power to screw UConn for a decade - but you'll get your wish, I'm sure we'll see plenty of UMass in between the thrillers with Memphis and San Diego St.

Edit: The Krafts are willing to help themselves out, they don't give a damn about UMass.

Reaction Score
If you think leveraging another city for a new stadium is loyalty then I guess we define the word differently. I have no idea why someone would want to play a team transitioning to the MAC instead of getting a crack at an ACC team that has done everything in their power to screw UConn for a decade - but you'll get your wish, I'm sure we'll see plenty of UMass in between the thrillers with Memphis and San Diego St.

Edit: The Krafts are willing to help themselves out, they don't give a damn about UMass.
It was leveraging to some extent, yes. But the stadium deal with Hartford would have been more profitable from a gate receipts/rent cost/etc point of view. Don't know if that still stands true. I think UMass will develop quickly. I am not sure if playing BC would be a thriller, besides beating them. They're too scared to play us now.

Reaction Score
Caring about UConn football before the move to I-A is like caring about the history of the Connecticut Whale.
Didn't see this. No way. We WERE Division 1 before Division 1 split into 1-A and 1-AA. The Connecticut Whale have NO relation to the Hartford Whalers. Maybe besides the owner. Totally different league.

But to say we were not Division 1 all along is just flat-out ignorance. Do you realize we are bringing some mid-majors into the Big East now? I guess those teams should just forget their previous histories and start with when they joined a BCS conference. Excellent logic.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Didn't see this. No way. We WERE Division 1 before Division 1 split into 1-A and 1-AA. The Connecticut Whale have NO relation to the Hartford Whalers. Maybe besides the owner. Totally different league.

But to say we were not Division 1 all along is just flat-out ignorance. Do you realize we are bringing some mid-majors into the Big East now? I guess those teams should just forget their previous histories and start with when they joined a BCS conference. Excellent logic.

I am completely aware of who the Connecticut Whale are and their non-relationship to the Hartford Whalers. I was just making fun of people caring about minor league sports.

I didn't say we weren't Division I. Never mentioned that. But now that you're putting words in my mouth, I will say this: we made the Division I-AA playoffs one freaking time. If your first bowl game was 2004, I couldn't care less what a fantastic, super-dee-duper tradition we have. It sucked.

Edit- Sorry, two I-AA postseason games. I forgot we lost in the 2nd round to GA Southern, not the first round. I forgot because the I-AA playoffs are unimportant.

Reaction Score
I am completely aware of who the Connecticut Whale are and their non-relationship to the Hartford Whalers. I was just making fun of people caring about minor league sports.

I didn't say we weren't Division I. Never mentioned that. But now that you're putting words in my mouth, I will say this: we made the Division I-AA playoffs one freaking time. If your first bowl game was 2004, I couldn't care less what a fantastic, super-dee-duper tradition we have. It sucked.
From a historian perspective, UConn's past is pretty cool. Whatever the deal, we've been building off our past. And we are doing decently, so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Edit- Sorry, two I-AA postseason games. I forgot we lost in the 2nd round to GA Southern, not the first round. I forgot because the I-AA playoffs are unimportant.

It was a great day at home in the 1-AA playoffs - it was like 70 degrees on Thanksgiving weekend with a blowout win.

Reaction Score
There is history, it's just history that the vast majority of people don't care about. I do and you and others who played for the program do, but 95+% of the people at Rentschler on a given Saturday don't.

I don't specifically remember the Yale game in 85, I was only 11.[/quote]

Carl is being a D'bag now, care to explain to people why Carl?

Reaction Score

Yale - Uconn game was postponed in 1985 due to the aftermath of Hurricane Gloria in CT, and then ultimately cancelled. One of the reasons I had a freaking meltdown with the way the Fordham v. UConn opening day game was handled last year. There was no way a game could be played at the Yale bowl in 1985. Rentschler field was perfectly fine, and had less than a 100 military personnel stationed there.

Butchy, don't let the negative nancy's get you down.

Reaction Score
There is history, it's just history that the vast majority of people don't care about. I do and you and others who played for the program do, but 95+% of the people at Rentschler on a given Saturday don't.

I don't specifically remember the Yale game in 85, I was only 11.

Ignorance is much different that apathy.

I think that a significant number of people that come to Rentschler, and the vast majority of people in the state of CT that actually care about UConn athletics....thanks to basketball...... just need to be educated on the history of UConn football, and would find learning about UConn football quite interesting.

As for the '85 Yale game, trick question, somebody already called me on it.

Reaction Score
Butchy, don't let the negative nancy's get you down.
The "I don't care about history" response doesn't bother me one bit. It's actually quite common for people to not care about history and be trendy. I'd still think parents of players and players would be interested in knowing who we were. They already know what we've become. Before that, we were a mid-major level school that played elite private universities and all other New England major state universities. Our all-time record against Yale is actually 17-32. Very early on, going back to the beginning, we played high schools and YMCAs and other local institutions. Our first games against colleges were in 1897 against Rhode Island and Massachusetts. We actually played a mix of high schools, athletic clubs, YMCAs and colleges between 1897 and 1914. 1915 was the first year we played all colleges. The schedule that year included our first game against an Ivy League school, Columbia. They welcome us to the big boy world by beating us, 17-6. Our worst loss that year was against Fordham, 35-0. We went 1-7 that year, only win against Springfield College. The ironies in life. We paid Fordham back last season. What a long way we've come. Wesleyan University, UMass, Rhode Island and Boston College have a huge part in helping get our athletic program off the ground before 1915.

We are 5-4 against South Florida and 6-2 against Syracuse. 3-5 against Louisville, 2-6 against Cincinnati. What's up with Cincinnati? They've been insane since they've become a Big East team. Worst stat of this post, we are 10-21 all time against Rutgers, 5-16 before joining the FBS level (1940-1983), 5-5 after joining the FBS level. We played most of our games against them before the split into 1-A and 1-AA. Between 1940 and 1979. We do unfortunately have a 4-8 record all time against Temple, believe it or not. (1-5 between 1963 and 1971; 3-3 since 2001). And we belittle Temple. Hopefully we can fix that if they get invited to the Big East. 0-1 against Michigan, 1-0 against Notre Dame. 0-1 against Oklahoma.

These following all-time records give an idea of how the program developed. 0-1 against the Hotchkiss School (1911; 0-32 score). Their administrators must love that. 1-1 against New Britain High School. Not sure how that would go down in New Britain. 5-0 against Rockeville High School. 0-4 against Stevens Tech (1913-1919; 13 PF, 96 PA). They are now Division III. We are 9-16 all-time against Wesleyan ("Little Ivy" school), and 10-12-2 against Springfield College, Springfield College actually was competitive for quire a while. We played 7 out of 15 Little Ivy schools and and at least 4 out of 8 Ivy League schools. We are 1-8-2 against Tufts (1919-1934). Our first tie against them was in 1924. Our only win against them was in 1925. 7-10-1 against Trinity College between 1900 and 1937. 13-3 against Norwich University in Vermont. Only 4 games, all easy Ws, after 1930. 33-36-2 against UMass. 50-34-8 against Rhode Island. 39-31 -3 against Maine. 29-36-6 against New Hampshire. They won their last 4 against us on our way out of 1-AA and we have a lot of losses against them before 1920. 5 straight losses to start our series against UNH going back to 1906. D1-AA powerhouse now. 20-25 against Boston University (1919-1997). 8-19-1 against Holy Cross between 1916 and 1985, half of out wins coming in between 1967 and 1975. We have an all-time losing record against Holy Cross in basketball, too. We were not winning against good programs much before the undefeated 1924 team. That team WAS pivotal in our program's history, probably just as much as our Dan Orlovsky-led squads are into the BCS era. Our beginnings lie in amateur clubs of all kinds, then regional agricultural state colleges and elite regional private colleges throughout primarily New England. Now we're on the top-tier national stage. Actually, the worst stat of the post is this: we are 0-10-2 all time against Boston College. We played a 8 games against BC between 1908-1928. Many were close games. They were not too good, either.

http://cfreference.net/cfr/all-time-head-to-head/connecticut/253/vs/boston-college/133

My sister went to Wesleyan and my stepsister went to UMass. We'll be 34-36-2 after this season!

Reaction Score
Winning records against anybody? :)

I know the 80s were a pretty good decade for the program, at least by UConn standards up to that point in time!! and it continued on into the 90s, and now obviously into the second decade of the 2000s, so was at least half of the 90s.

Lou Holtz, former UConn asst. football coach, is on record many times saying, that the only thing holding UConn back from being better, was the lack of commitment to being better from the leadership at the university. He was in Storrs on the gridiron sidelines in the 1960s.

By the latter half of the 1980s, that committment to getting football to a top level from university leadership, that had been lacking for so many years, was in place, and it's continued to be in place, and will continue to be.

Since 1980, we are overall 191-166 (with Randy Edsall's 9-24 as 1-AA program, the worst three year run since 1979) And have had more winning seasons than losing seasons.

Perspective changes with knowledge. We are a winning football program overall for the past 3 decades.

If there hadn't been so much else going on around the uconn football program in those three years, that Edsall went 9-24, it's hard to imagine that Edsall would have kept his job.

Reaction Score
make no mistake the impact that Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma have brought to the University of Connecticut. Those two men, and the committment to winning, that they established at UConn, basically forced the football program to follow suit.

The truth is, there is no big time basketball at a state university like we have, without football.

The only land grant colleges in the country that don't have 1-A football, are Alaska, Montana, and the remainders of the Yankee Conference, minus UConn, and now UMass.

Joe Paterno did his work well in establishing his recruiting territory for the University of Pennsylvania .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are Delaware, North Dakota and South Dakota not land grant colleges?

Reaction Score
Winning records against anybody? :)
17-5-1 vs Northeastern!

2-0 vs Baylor. lol We're on a totally different plane now. Too bad we lost to Iowa State and Vanderbilt this past season. Would have helped our resume.

Reaction Score
More all-time records, 4-4 against Pitt and 1-0 against South Carolina. If we had a comptent QB last year, things would be looking a LOT better for the FBS era. Amazing what one season can do. But it seems we have QB help on the way, thankfully. Defense has been our biggest strength in our FBS years. Still can't believe Cincinnati's run since they've joined the Big East.

Hopefully, we'll win many more big games in our future. Definitely can be done.

Reaction Score
BCU continues to bleed. They lost two more assistants today with their RB coach making a lateral move to Rutgers and another offensive coach becoming the OC at Temple. From what I've read the guys they lost were three of the top recruiters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom