The college football door is ajar in the northeast.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The college football door is ajar in the northeast....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm willing to help/lead the effort, but I will need some more ideas and i will also need to brush up on my history. I think we can do something great and make the most of the offseason.
http://www.databasefootball.com/College/teams/teampage.htm?TeamID=25

There's a decent introduction. One thing you have to keep in mind. We were beaten by very affluent high schools very early in our history. But we progressed quickly. New England was clearly dominated by Ivy League schools back then. We played Yale almost every year in between 1948 and 1998.

Hopefully, we can give one of our biggest historical rivals, UMass, a warm welcome to FBS-level football this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Let me add, we played regularly in some of the oldest stadiums in the country. Andrus Field, Yale Bowl, Jessee/Miller Field (Trinity College), and these days, Nippert Stadium. Also got to play at Michigan and Notre Dame. We even played Springfield College a bunch of times early on. The "birthplace of basketball". Ironic, huh? If we put our program's whole history into perspective, UConn football becomes MUCH more interesting.

Our first game against an Ivy League school was in 1915, against Columbia. We lost, 17-6. We also went on to play Brown and Harvard. We have a long history worth bringing up to recruits.

We played at the two oldest college football fields in the country. How many FBS schools can say that?

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2011/11/5/212836/Games-Today-at-the-Oldest-Football-Fields.aspx

We might have played at the third oldest, too. That would require more research.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Butchy, I respect your passion for this, but the problem is that nobody else knows and nobody else cares to know. Ask "Joe Fan" about UConn Football pre-Rentschler and they may vaguely remember some activity at Memorial Stadium, and that's it. It certainly doesn't evoke any passion or emotion, which is what an established history/tradition would do. We need to keep working on establishing our current tradition/history.

Reaction Score
Some people do appreciate history. Not every player or fan is trendy. As shown, we have a solid history. Goes way beyond Randy Edsall. I know I'd be happy to go beyond Randy Edsall. Don't know about some of you.

Reaction Score
We've been playing football since 1896. We were at mid-major level until D1 was split into A and AA. That's about 75 years of Division "1A" football.

Prior to going 1AA we were in DII and before that we were in the College Divsion as opposed to the University Divsion(DI) of football. We were never a Mid-Major in football and thats what makes our jump to competative BCS level of play so extraordinary. I would consider teams like Colorado State, New Mexico as Mid-Major

Reaction Score
Prior to going 1AA we were in DII and before that we were in the College Divsion as opposed to the University Divsion(DI) of football. We were never a Mid-Major in football and thats what makes our jump to competative BCS level of play so extraordinary. I would consider teams like Colorado State, New Mexico as Mid-Major
Division II was not created until 1973. We were never Division II. (Where the heck did you get that from?) If you look at the results from before our D-1AA years, we'd compare to mid-major schools. We became a "university" in the 1930s.

Thank you for proving how important history is in having a correct perception of our football program.

Also, before 1973, there was no "college division" or "university division". Please provide proof if you have it. The NCAA was created in 1906. By then, we were playing Boston College, Wesleyan, Rhode Island, etc. Seriously, why would the New York Times call us one of the best teams in the country in 1924 if we were not "Division 1"?

Edit: Found info on the "college division". I am guessing the Yankee Conference was in the "college division"? Cannot find any proof the Yankee Conference ever went Division II, though. Pardon me for using Wikipedia, but here it says we've been Division I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Conference

Before that, the New England Conference was also Division I.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/connecticut_database.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Conference

Cannot find any proof the New England Conference or Yankee Conference were ever in the "college division".

Reaction Score
Division II was not created until 1973. We were never Division II. (Where the heck did you get that from?) If you look at the results from before our D-1AA years, we'd compare to mid-major schools. We became a "university" in the 1930s.

Thank you for proving how important history is in having a correct perception of our football program.

Also, before 1973, there was no "college division" or "university division". Please provide proof if you have it. The NCAA was created in 1906. By then, we were playing Boston College, Wesleyan, Rhode Island, etc. Seriously, why would the New York Times call us one of the best teams in the country in 1924 if we were not "Division 1"?

Edit: Found info on the "college division". I am guessing the Yankee Conference was in the "college division"? Cannot find any proof the Yankee Conference ever went Division II, though. Pardon me for using Wikipedia, but here it says we've been Division I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Conference

Before that, the New England Conference was also Division I.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/connecticut_database.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Conference

Cannot find any proof the New England Conference or Yankee Conference were ever in the "college division".

I can only tell you this because of personal experience during that time but the links below can lead you to this conclusion by its inference to Delaware and UMass regading their particpation in the Boardwalk Bowl and our relationship with them. Delaware because we scheduled them as a regional peer and UMass as a fellow conference member. You can also look up Delaware's history on Wiki and find they won three national championships inthe 70's in differently called divisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_National_Football_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Fightin'_Blue_Hens_football

Reaction Score
I can only tell you this because of personal experience during that time but the links below can lead you to this conclusion by its inference to Delaware and UMass regading their particpation in the Boardwalk Bowl and our relationship with them. Delaware because we scheduled them as a regional peer and UMass as a fellow conference member. You can also look up Delaware's history on Wiki and find they won three national championships inthe 70's in differently called divisions.

Delaware became a member of the Yankee Conference in 1986. They became D1-AA independent in 1980. Before that, they were Division II independent.

Look at the second link you posted.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Butchy, I respect your passion for this, but the problem is that nobody else knows and nobody else cares to know. Ask "Joe Fan" about UConn Football pre-Rentschler and they may vaguely remember some activity at Memorial Stadium, and that's it. It certainly doesn't evoke any passion or emotion, which is what an established history/tradition would do. We need to keep working on establishing our current tradition/history.

Exactly.

It strikes me as trying WAYYY to hard, but I totally respect Butchy's passion (Go Maroons).

Reaction Score
Delaware became a member of the Yankee Conference in 1986. They became D1-AA independent in 1980. Before that, they were Division II independent.

Look at the second link you posted.

Butch,
I said UD was a peer not a conference member, they were a regular on our schedule in the 70's before conference affiliation. I was in school (UConn) at that time.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

It strikes me as trying WAYYY to hard, but I totally respect Butchy's passion (Go Maroons).
Trying way too hard to what? Some of us are fascinated by history. I think UConn's football history is massively under-appreciated and can be easily be used to market our program to take it further.

Go Maroons, indeed. They were robbed by the NFL. The first true professional gridiron football world champions.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Trying way too hard to what? Some of us are fascinated by history. I think UConn's football history is massively under-appreciated and can be easily be used to market our program to take it further.

I think you're over-stating UConn's history. UConn has less than pretty much everyone in I-A.

Reaction Score
Butch,
I said UD was a peer not a conference member, they were a regular on our schedule in the 70's before conference affiliation. I was in school (UConn) at that time.
Fair enough. I can only find proof that Yankee Conference was Division 1. They obviously went straight into D1-AA when Division 1 was split. I am still trying to understand the link between the College Division and UMass in the 1972 Boardwalk Bowl. UMass were Yankee Conference champions in 1969 and 1971, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Bowl

"From 1968 through 1972, it was the NCAA College Division East championship game."

Reaction Score
I think you're over-stating UConn's history. UConn has less than pretty much everyone in I-A.
Pretty much everyone is quite an exaggeration. Sun Belt? MAC? C-USA? Mountain West? USF? UCF? We may not have a national championship so far, but sure is nice to put together a comprehensive history to show our recruits and fans (those who take interest in history). How we've been continually progressing over the decades. How we've actually been playing the "big boys" since the early 1900s. Some of the D1-A schools that play now were not playing football back in the first half of the 1900s, including Florida State. Florida State became co-ed in 1947.

I'm personally fascinated with how deep our history goes. We got to play on the two oldest fields in college football still existing.

Reaction Score

Wikipedia, any body can write anythign there. :)

Here's the low down. Prior to 1968, "major" and/or "university" labels vs. "college" labels.....were essentially meaningless to anything intercollegiate athletics other than football, and when it came to football, it was loosely tied to the actual size of a university and it's student body. But mostly, the labels originated with football media and at that time, it was all sports writers and news papers. No way was a agricultural school in rural Massachusetts or Vermont goign to be considered a "major" college like Tennessee, etc...

In 1937, the NCAA began keeping official records in football, team statistics, and more importantly, individual statistics. Thirty years later it was such a mess that they had to do something. How can some kid at a Arkansas St Baptist U, be better in the record books, than somebody from Michigan? In 1968, schools got either 'Major University" or "College" label officially, to start to clean up football statistics record keeping. Believe it or not.

UConn, got the "college" label officially in 1968.

In 1972, title IX women's rights laws were put into place. Major effect on universities. The NCAA had a special convention in summer 1973 and came up with the division 1, 2, 3 categories of competition. The categories were established based on the characteristics of entire athletic departments. The numbers of mens and womens programs mostly, a few years later, by 1978, the regulations on numbers of football scholarships were also in place.

Establishing those divisions, espeically with women's programs, put many major college athletic conferences in turmoil. People in the northeast, actually wanted to do the right things (look up LSU and women's soccer, and you'll find that in SEC country, they still don't quite get the whole principle behind title IX as recently as a year ago) but I digress.....how does that all affect UConn. The Yankee Conference is made up of the land grant colleges in New England. Totally diverse group of athletic departments, that are tied together aroundn athletics since the end of world war 2.

Yankee conference b/w 1973-1977 for four years of it's history, is now classified, retroactively, by the NCAA as division II. Mostly because of the University of Vermont athletic department, which didn't meet division 1 standards set in 1973, and bowed out of the conference after the 1974 season. UConn, URI, UMass, UNH, UMaine, and the addition of Boston University, were all classified division II on technicality as conference members. Things were still sorting out in the mid 70s, with the Yankee Conference working like hell to make sure everybody was going to qualify for division 1 status as entire athletic departments, when in 1978 the NCAA further divides division 1 into 1-A, and 1-AA and ties the label to football stadium seating capacity.

The yankee conference football programs did not need to "upgrade" in 1978 to achieve 1-AA status....what the football programs had to do to get that NCAA label, was shed the rest of the conference athletic department programs.

At that time, it was called "Cost containment". People all over the northeast were all for it, including Toner at UConn. Time has proven it to be a bad concept. The Yankee Conference continues existence as a 1-AA conference in football only from 1978-1997 and conference expansion is nothing new to the conference. The Yankee conference in 1978, dispands all other sports programs besides football, as the membership athletic departments, at that time had different structure, and vision on where to go for the future.

UConn enters the Big East in basketball in 1979, and for all sports except football by 1980.

The UConn athletic department, was indeed classified "college" vs. "university", but the UConn athletic department, has never been anything but a what currently labeled as a division 1 athletic department.

Reaction Score
Pretty much everyone is quite an exaggeration. Sun Belt? MAC? C-USA? Mountain West? USF? UCF? We may not have a national championship so far, but sure is nice to put together a comprehensive history to show our recruits and fans (those who take interest in history). How we've been continually progressing over the decades. How we've actually been playing the "big boys" since the early 1900s. Some of the D1-A schools that play now were not playing football back in the first half of the 1900s, including Florida State. Florida State became co-ed in 1947.

I'm personally fascinated with how deep our history goes. We got to play on the two oldest fields in college football still existing.

Maybe 1A is overstating it. But in the minds of most college football fans around the country, UConn's history begins around the time of the upgrade. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Maybe 1A is overstating it. But in the minds of most college football fans around the country, UConn's history begins around the time of the upgrade. It is what it is.
Funny how perceptions change with the acquisition of knowledge though.

Reaction Score

I addressed this just now. Yes, UConn has been classified by the NCAA as both a 'college' level of competition in athletics, (all athletics including football), and for 4 years, b/w 1973-1977 we are recognized by the NCAA as a division II school.

Those classifications were earned because of our affiliation with the Yankee Conference, and the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics in the 1970s around title IX and football scholarships and seating capacities, and the establishment of divisions of intercollegiate athletics.

At no time, though, was the UConn athletic department, and the UConn football program, anything but division 1 though.

What I think is important for people to realize at this point, is that all of these labels and classifications, are about the structure, finances, and organization of entire athletic departments,

and most importantly, for an athletic department to exist, it needs to be able to schedule events for it's sports teams. The easiest way to do that, is to belong to a conference, and to belong to a conference, you need to have a group of institutions that are all on teh same page.

UConn was not on the same page as an athletic department with the rest of the Yankee conference in the 1970s, and we ended up in the big east, at it's inception, and we continued on in the yankee in football as 1-AA, until obviously - we upgraded to 1-A.

Reaction Score
Did more research. We actually played on the three college oldest fields still in existence. Surprising we never played at Franklin Field. It is up to us how we present ourselves. It is up to us whether we want to think UConn football began with the FBS upgrade or whether we actually started playing football in 1896. The athletic department goes with the latter perception. Not difficult to inform fans we have been around for a long time. What certainly would help us from here on is winning! We have solid groundwork laid for future success. That does include the previous 100+ years.

Thank you for clarifying, Carl Speckler.

Reaction Score
Thank you for supporting my assertions ,Carl. We were discussing the level of play of UConn football. The point was, we were not playing Oklahoma in the 1975 Championship game if we were good enough, it would have been Northern Michigan. Butch, I take what I said back, I would consider our transtion years prior to moving in the Rent as Mid-Major level football.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thank you for supporting my assertions ,Carl. We were discussing the level of play of UConn football. The point was, we were not playing Oklahoma in the 1975 Championship game if we were good enough, it would have been Northern Michigan. Butch, I take what I said back, I would consider our transtion years prior to moving in the Rent as Mid-Major level football.

I agree. But you must acknowledge, that in the 1970s, well first off, there was no national championship game, and the post season was, accept fo the Rose Bowl if I'm not mistaken, entirely by bowl committee invitation and money and handshake deal driven.

I do not like when the level of competition on the actual playing field gets tied to who actually played in the college football post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom