The coaches see them in practice, they know what is best. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The coaches see them in practice, they know what is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't care how you get Nick Williams the ball.

On offense, if he gets the ball 5 times and he gets it in space just once, he is making a BIG play for us.

Reaction Score
You really think Nick Williams is demonstrating that he deserves time over our other WRs? I'm not saying you can't make a case -- he is the best with the ball in his hands -- but it's more than a little debatable.

Yes, I believe the starting wide outs should be Phillips and Davis with Nick in the slot. This would open the field and also put him in position to make plays on the speed option.

Reaction Score
Didn't have you pegged as one of those dopes that dismiss a sincere POV with dimestore psychology, scoot.
I don't generally. I just like to give pal a poke every now and again! I have since the days when he was bush1 on an earlier board...

Reaction Score
Yes, I believe the starting wide outs should be Phillips and Davis with Nick in the slot. This would open the field and also put him in position to make plays on the speed option.
Here's the thing though, I don't think Williams is a great route runner, and he doesn't have great hands either...none of our wides really do except maybe Davis. Still I agree that we need to get him the ball more in space. Flanker screens, reverses and so forth would be good options.

Reaction Score

Well, o.k. But given how little this year we use 3 WR sets, I don't consider that "starting."

Reaction Score
As to who sees the field, the problem isn't that Coach P and DeLeone are senile, lol, its that they've exhibited a troubling pattern of behavior. If one of their own recruits is involved in a play, it's the Edsall recruit that screwed up. Here are two good examples.

Alex Mateas is a DeLeone recruit from Penn St. The question has been posed as to why he's starting over Tyler Bullock. As many have commented, (and several players have quietly confirmed) Bullock provides a better option at center than Alex--but Alex is Coach P’ and DeLeone’s recruit, so he gets to play.

Kgun7---Mateas was on the field for the Bozeman strip and return.
Metsfan---Something needs to change on the O-line, the Mateus vs Bullock question is a nice place to start. If the coaches get even the slightest hint that Bullock outperformed Mateus in their film review a change should be made quickly without hesitation.
VaHuskyfan--- DeLeone taking over for Foley as O-line coach always made exactly zero sense. The results have been predictably disappointing.

The most egregious example is the goal line interception involving Nick Williams. Nick was not supposed to catch that ball. Look at it again. He was running a clear-out route. When the safety does not follow Nick it then it's up to Whitmer to find the open man. That's why it looked so strange. Williams was not supposed to get it and thus didn't turn toward the play. But, because Whitmer is P's recruit, he hangs out the other guy in the presser. It's a troubling pattern of behavior, and the media (and all of us), should be careful about assigning blame on missed assignments and bad plays.

Businesslawyer---maybe both those turnovers weren't his fault (and we are hearing that the first pick was on Nick Williams.)..
FfldCntyFan--- Nick (....hadn't even turned back to face the QB).

Reaction Score
I'm still not over Marcus Easley sitting on the bench till 4 games into his 5th year.... granted that was Edsall, but still, kid was a 4th round talent at wide receiver....how does that happen

Reaction Score
I'm still not over Marcus Easley sitting on the bench till 4 games into his 5th year.... granted that was Edsall, but still, kid was a 4th round talent at wide receiver....how does that happen

Happens when you don't give a guy more than a few reps in a game. I remember him dropping a pass his jr year against USF and promptly being buried on the bench there after. I understand a coach trusting "his guys", but why run one guy into the ground, when you can trot out a fresh body out there to see what he could do and give your workhorse a break. Since Donald Brown left we have not had any exhibit that home run threat ability in games.

Deshon Foxx to me like that kid that could grow into that type of threat. We burn his redshift last year and this year he is an after thought. How about getting Tebucky Jones some touches. Utilize the speed you do have.

Reaction Score
I understand a coach trusting "his guys", but why run one guy into the ground, when you can trot out a fresh body out there to see what he could do and give your workhorse a break. Since Donald Brown left we have not had any exhibit that home run threat ability in games.

Translation: we haven't had a TB win the national individual rushing crown by a few hundred yards in over 3 years now.

Talk about harsh.

Reaction Score
the bigger question is why was he a walkon? Nobody saw that kid's talent. he could have ended up playing at Central or somewhere. So I can see how it took time to get him into the regular rotation. You simply don't look at your walk-ons, especially at skill positions very closely unless they really stand out. And again, don't ignore the fact that at least some of it is on Easley. he was part of the rotation his Jr. season and even played sporadically as a sophomore, so it isn't as it is often portrayed here that Edsall locked him in the locker room for 4 1/2 years and one came day he snuck out and onto the field and started catching touchdown passes. He played in I think 9 games as a junior, had 4 receptions for something like 90 yards.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The problem is tha Dele & PP can only remember rthe name of one back and the one running play they call 75 times per game.

They don't have to remember their names. They're written on the back of the Jerseys?

Reaction Score
*ding ding ding ding ding* You have found part of the problem.

We're more likely to see two QBs on the field than we are likely to see three or four WRs.

Reaction Score
My Favorite part about this whole "why can't we rotate RB" debate is that the coaches say they like one guy to get continuity at the position.

Meanwhile, we rotate QBs, WR, and OFFENSIVE LINEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, we do things exactly the opposite of nearly EVERY OTHER Football team in the entire world.

Super!

Reaction Score
Translation: we haven't had a TB win the national individual rushing crown by a few hundred yards in over 3 years now.

Talk about harsh.

Wrong translation. Just saying I could see why Edsall, always kept him in the game since he was a threat to score every time he got the ball. Even with Dixon there who had rushed for over 800yds the previous year, only Todman got touches.

We really haven't had any explosive playmakers with the exception of Easly who wasn't even played till after game four of his sr year.

Why not try ti see if there is another potential Easly on your roster from time to time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well, o.k. But given how little this year we use 3 WR sets, I don't consider that "starting."

This wouldn't bother me if we threw to our tight ends more but it seemed that prior to this past Saturday (when we ended up with two TD's & a few other long passes) we would run an obligatory TE deep down the seam and overthrow him, then forget we had a TE on the field for the remainder of the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't care how you get Nick Williams the ball.

On offense, if he gets the ball 5 times and he gets it in space just once, he is making a BIG play for us.

I do. There should be 2-3 plays each game where he circles out to a short area that has been cleared by one of the WR's going deep. A bubble screen here and a delayed middle screen there wouldn't be bad either. What i don't like (and we've used it a bit too much this season) is the idea of using him on deep routes as a traditional receiver. He appears to be one of those guys who couldn't run in a straight line if he wanted to and by forcing him to do so he loses some speed.

Reaction Score
I do. There should be 2-3 plays each game where he circles out to a short area that has been cleared by one of the WR's going deep. A bubble screen here and a delayed middle screen there wouldn't be bad either. What i don't like (and we've used it a bit too much this season) is the idea of using him on deep routes as a traditional receiver. He appears to be one of those guys who couldn't run in a straight line if he wanted to and by forcing him to do so he loses some speed.

Sounds good to me. Like I said, I couldn't care less, but he should get the ball at least five times a game outside of return duty.

Reaction Score
That is the approach I see for him too. Bubble screens, short stuff underneath try to gret him on a linebacker with room to do his thing. I don't think he's a good enough route runner, maybe its a speed thing too, to be much of a deep threat.

Reaction Score
Poor guy must have really disparate nut sizes!

Reaction Score
I haven't been able to watch as much as I'd like this year.

Does NW ever run short crossing routes against the LBs? Cincy does this all the time with a lot of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom