The CFP | The Boneyard

The CFP

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, for those who are sick of seeing Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, and Oklahoma always seemingly taking up at least 3 of the CFP spots, this is your year. Throw in Notre Dame, LSU, Oregon and a few other semi-regulars and this is a breath of fresh air.

Should have a top 4 of Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC. I wouldn't be surprised if USC is 3 and TCU is 4. I'd think even if Georgia and Michigan lose their conference championship games, they stay in top 4. Of course, watch TCU and USC lose and somehow Ohio St sneaks back in.

Not sure if Bama can pull off being a 2-loss team and not making conference championship game and still getting in, but if there is a way to make it happen, the deal makers will make it happen. It would be a disgrace but then watch Bama win it all and have an ends justify the means excuse for the committee.

It'll be interesting to see what the committee does if a 3-loss LSU upsets UGA. I'd think they'd still keeping UGA in the CFP depending on what else happens. If Michigan, USC and TCU win, and UGA loses, I'd think UGA still looks like the best one loss team out there and they'd be the only one loss team whose loss was in a conference championship game.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with you that USC is necessarily more deserving with one loss than TOSU. USC certainly has more top 20 wins, but I’m not sure they have any one win as impressive as winning at Penn State. And Ohio State had more blowout wins, and had its only loss against a Top 2 team, not a second ten team.

Not saying you’re wrong — just saying I think you can argue it either way. But would I rather see USC — absolutely.

Reaction Score
Well, for those who are sick of seeing Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson, and Oklahoma always seemingly taking up at least 3 of the CFP spots, this is your year. Throw in Notre Dame, LSU, Oregon and a few other semi-regulars and this is a breath of fresh air.

Should have a top 4 of Georgia, Michigan, TCU and USC. I wouldn't be surprised if USC is 3 and TCU is 4. I'd think even if Georgia and Michigan lose their conference championship games, they stay in top 4. Of course, watch TCU and USC lose and somehow Ohio St sneaks back in.

Not sure if Bama can pull off being a 2-loss team and not making conference championship game and still getting in, but if there is a way to make it happen, the deal makers will make it happen. It would be a disgrace but then watch Bama win it all and have an ends justify the means excuse for the committee.

It'll be interesting to see what the committee does if a 3-loss LSU upsets UGA. I'd think they'd still keeping UGA in the CFP depending on what else happens. If Michigan, USC and TCU win, and UGA loses, I'd think UGA still looks like the best one loss team out there and they'd be the only one loss team whose loss was in a conference championship game.
If your scenario happens, they’ll put Alabama in there. LOL. I actually think it should hurt more if you lose in a conference title game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with you that USC is necessarily more deserving with one loss than TOSU. USC certainly has more top 20 wins, but I’m not sure they have any one win as impressive as winning at Penn State. And Ohio State had more blowout wins, and had its only loss against a Top 2 team, not a second ten team.

Not saying you’re wrong — just saying I think you can argue it either way. But would I rather see USC — absolutely.

If UGA, UM and TCU win out, they'll be in. That's the easy part.

Should USC win, I think given a choice of having a one-loss USC or a one-loss OSU goes to USC this year. The ability to get a west coast team with national cache over a second midwest team which didn't even make its conference championship game should all favor USC.

If either USC or TCU fail, then I think OSU has first shot at getting back in.

Like you said, plenty of moving parts. On the good news we know Oklahoma, Clemson, Notre Dame are out. It's a borderline Christmas miracle for Alabama to weasel back in. Ohio St has a shot.

Reaction Score
There’s no rational case to be made for OSU to be in this years CFP. Losing at home to its main rival, who was playing without its top star running back, was embarrassing enough. Getting trounced in the 2nd half was disqualifying. They‘re not in their conference championship, their QB was exposed as a Heisman imposter and the entire country watched it happen first hand.
USC will beat Utah, win the Pac12, and join UGA, TCU and Michigan. The Trojans have the exciting Heisman favorite QB, and they provide the CFP with a way to finally provide us with a four corners field: South-UGA, MidWest-Michigan, Southwest-TCU and FarWest—USC.
Thus will be the most watched CFP ever and validate the work of the committee as we Inch closer to the 12 team extravaganza in 2024

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Trojans have the exciting Heisman favorite QB, and they provide the CFP with a way to finally provide us with a four corners field: South-UGA, MidWest-Michigan, Southwest-TCU and FarWest—USC.
Thus will be the most watched CFP ever
I will be very curious to see the numbers of viewership if the teams play out like you and others said. I'd be excited to see different teams. However, will more people tune in to see TCU-Michigan instead of Bama-Michigan? I have no clue. It will be nice to have new teams for once.

Reaction Score
There’s no rational case to be made for OSU to be in this years CFP. Losing at home to its main rival, who was playing without its top star running back, was embarrassing enough. Getting trounced in the 2nd half was disqualifying. They‘re not in their conference championship, their QB was exposed as a Heisman imposter and the entire country watched it happen first hand.
USC will beat Utah, win the Pac12, and join UGA, TCU and Michigan. The Trojans have the exciting Heisman favorite QB, and they provide the CFP with a way to finally provide us with a four corners field: South-UGA, MidWest-Michigan, Southwest-TCU and FarWest—USC.
Thus will be the most watched CFP ever and validate the work of the committee as we Inch closer to the 12 team extravaganza in 2024
But you list a whole lot of reasons that are important to the fans but not supposed to be part of the consideration: geographic balance, star power, possible ratings, etc. And the fact that the Big Ten and the schools allow Ohio State and Michigan to be in the same half of the Big Ten means that the two best teams won’t play in the conference championship are both years. So what?

The bottom line is Ohio State was not close to good enough yesterday, and will have only itself to blame if it’s left out, but USC hasn’t played a team anywhere near Michigan’s level that you can easily compare that loss to.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

The committee is going to take a 12-1 P5 conference champ over a 11-1 P5 team every time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The dilemma is four teams have to make the CFP. And if USC and/or TCU lose, who are the four teams more deserving than the Buckeyes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This year is the best case for an expanded playoff.

?????

The rationale to expand would be when there are more than four teams whose resume suggest they should be able to compete.

This year there are barely four that can make that claim.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The dilemma is four teams have to make the CFP. And if USC and/or TCU lose, who are the four teams more deserving than the Buckeyes.
We all know that TCU and USC will lose and OSU and 'Bama will find a way in and we'll be back to the usual 4 suspects.....yeah 'Bama is an insane long shot to no shot, but they'd find a way to put them in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OSU has a case to be 4 over USC. GA, Mich, and TCU are 1-3 so long as they win out. The CFP will pick a 1-loss Pac-12 Champ over a 1-loss B1G East Runner-up with only 12 games. They wouldn't do that to 1-loss Bama but they will to the B1G.

GA and Mich are locks regardless of their CCG's. TCU and USC need to win or get bumped for OHSt. Bama will be the top ranked 2 loss team even if they shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
But you list a whole lot of reasons that are important to the fans but not supposed to be part of the consideration: geographic balance, star power, possible ratings, etc.
“Supposed to” or not those consideration will be in play.

Reaction Score
This year is the best case for an expanded playoff.
But I still hate a bye system for CFB. You can accomplish what you need with an 8 team playoff. First games are home for the higher seeds and if an 8 beats a 1 they take that seed to the semi's for a home game. No D1 college football team should need 4 wins after a full season. It's too much. This isn't soccer or hockey or hoops.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
But you list a whole lot of reasons that are important to the fans but not supposed to be part of the consideration: geographic balance, star power, possible ratings, etc. And the fact that the Big Ten and the schools allow Ohio State and Michigan to be in the same half of the Big Ten means that the two best teams won’t play in the conference championship are both years. So what?

The bottom line is Ohio State was not close to good enough yesterday, and will have only itself to blame if it’s left out, but USC hasn’t played a team anywhere near Michigan’s level that you can easily compare that loss to.

If this was college basketball, your statement would be provably wrong. There is no evidence that the Big 10 is a better league than the Pac 12 this year. The Pac 12 went 2-1 against the Big 10, and the Big 10, as a conference, does not have a single quality win against another league outside of Ohio State over Notre Dame. USC also beat Notre Dame. One of the Big 10's title game teams lost to Syracuse. Is the Big 10 better than the Pac 12? Maybe? How do we know Michigan or Ohio State are so good? The eye test?

In basketball, teams know they have to schedule top competition or they will get punished on Selection Sunday with a bad seed or an NIT bid. I bet 90%+ of the P6 conference basketball teams will play three P6 teams OOC this season. Everyone that cares, from Selection Committee down to fans, already knows the ranking of the conferences because of how they have performed in game situations, and how to assess the conference schedule once teams get into that later in December. 1) Big 12, 2) Big 10, 3) SEC, 4) Big East, 5) ACC, 6) Pac 12. Other than a debate of 1 vs 2 or 3 vs 4, it is not that controversial, and November is not even over yet.

In football, the #2 team in the country played an out of conference slate of Hawaii, Colorado State and UConn. That is ridiculous. Not only did Michigan not play anyone in the non-conference, but the whole Big Ten only played 11 games against other P5 teams. When the expanded playoff comes, the P5 conferences need to get rid of the 9th conference game, and use that slot to play other P5 teams. Otherwise, it is purely guesswork when it comes to comparing conference schedules.

Reaction Score
if TCU or USC stumbles, it opens the door for TOSU or Bama.... which i dont want to see

Reaction Score
Alabama is easily a top four team but because they play a gauntlet of a schedule they will be left out.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I guess it’s good but we are still going to end up with the same 2 teams at the end

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom