The Big East now has five ranked teams in the AP poll | The Boneyard

The Big East now has five ranked teams in the AP poll

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Georgetown can wait to get it together another week or so.
I kind of enjoy watching them mired down where they are now looking up at Uconn. I remember the Thompson Sr years and a little hubris is good for their program.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Crazy that the AP poll almost had a 3 way tie for the #6 ranking (#6 Purdue w/ 1119 points, #7 Houston w/1116 and #7 UCLA also w/ 1116) . Wonder if a 3 way tie for a ranking has ever happened before.

Reaction Score
OT: Can Houston really sustain this success without two key starters? I suppose the answer is yes in the AAC. Sampson is a legit coach, but watch out for upset specials in the first or second round of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Can Houston really sustain this success without two key starters? I suppose the answer is yes in the AAC. Sampson is a legit coach, but watch out for upset specials in the first or second round of the tournament.
yeah, they will be really easy to pick against as a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. just goes to show how bad the aac is this year -- a legit team can walk through that league down two starters.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
And the only loss the No.1 team in the AP/ No. 2 in the Coaches Poll has, is to a Big East team and that happens to be UConn!
On a neutral court. What a great win that was.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It’s hilarious to me how great the Big East and how bad the ACC is.
Pitt and Cuse can’t even compete in a down year. BC looks respectable in comparison.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It’s hilarious to me how great the Big East and how bad the ACC is.
No team even close to the FB playoffs and now only 1 ranked team. They clearly need and addition to shore up the hoops side and add football potential. To their credit, they have 5 ranked women's team, but 6 is a better number.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Providence is the lowest ranked two loss team from a major conference. USC's only semi-quality win is San Diego State, and it is ranked about PC, and Texas Tech has 4 losses (one of which was to PC) and it is also ranked above Providence.

Reaction Score
And yet I still saw a post today saying the BE is not a "legit" conference... whatever that means.

Todays BE is what they used to call a "non-BCS" or "non-P5" conference.

Even when the BCS was started, there have been good leagues outside of the power structure.

I think people get it confused with a slight now that UConn isn't part of the BCS/P5/A5 conferences.

Reaction Score
yeah, they will be really easy to pick against as a 2 or 3 seed in the tourney. just goes to show how bad the aac is this year -- a legit team can walk through that league down two starters.

Houston did lose 2 great guards.

However, what they did in response was alter their playing style, so now they are leaning more heavily on their front court (Josh Carlton, Fabian White, Roberts, Chaney). Before the season started, they also brought in two great guards in Kyler Edwards and Taze Moore.

Don't fool yourself, Houston just reloaded. Their backcourt depth is shallower but with the emergence of Jamal Shead (a fantastic PG.. I'd put Shead up there with anyone) Houston is ranked appropriately.

Everyone always talks about Kyler Edwards (the Texas Tech transfer) but Taze Moore is a more mature (6th year Sr) and much more aggressive form of Andre Jackson. Super Athletic. They're playing through Josh Carlton, and Josh is doing everything. He's using all of those Kevin McHale post moves, he's dunking and distributing to all those guys.

Sampson started the season with a great, deep, team.
Now he just has a great team.

Reaction Score
Todays BE is what they used to call a "non-BCS" or "non-P5" conference.

Even when the BCS was started, there have been good leagues outside of the power structure.

I think people get it confused with a slight now that UConn isn't part of the BCS/P5/A5 conferences.
No that's not what it is because it's the Power 6 for basketball and the Big East is one of the best P6 conferences.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Houston will/would give every NBE team tons of trouble and would be one of the top 3 teams in the conference
If you dont think so - you are just fooling yourself

Reaction Score
Power 6, Major 7, et al, are all media creations.

TBH, I've always preferred High-Major.

"Power 6" might even be copywrited by the AAC. It's all silly.
High major, Power 6. Go with whatever you like or make up your own name, they are all media creations but those 6 conferences are considered different than the rest by everyone in the sport. The point is The Big East is one of the best basketball conferences in the country and considered a power conference by everyone. Gonzaga is considered a power, high major, one of the best teams in college basketball but they don't play in what's considered a power conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom