The Big East now has five ranked teams in the AP poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big East now has five ranked teams in the AP poll

Reaction Score
Houston will/would give every NBE team tons of trouble and would be one of the top 3 teams in the conference
If you dont think so - you are just fooling yourself
They’d possibly be top 3. Not a given though

Reaction Score
I never thought I would say this, but with the exception of football/$, I would hate to leave the Big East for any other conference for basketball. Just about every original Big East team that departed has struggled, including us during our AAC stint. This is not a coincidence. Leaving that geographic footprint means (1) leaving better recruits in the Northeast that want to stay close home in BE and Madison Square Garden BET; and (2) leaving your traditional rivals to play teams with no history.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
High major, Power 6. Go with whatever you like or make up your own name, they are all media creations but those 6 conferences are considered different than the rest by everyone in the sport. The point is The Big East is one of the best basketball conferences in the country and considered a power conference by everyone. Gonzaga is considered a power, high major, one of the best teams in college basketball but they don't play in what's considered a power conference.
Let’s call it high major or power conference. The AAC has tried to make “Power 6” a thing since their inception and it’s the most embarrassing marketing move I’ve ever witnessed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
No team even close to the FB playoffs and now only 1 ranked team. They clearly need and addition to shore up the hoops side and add football potential. To their credit, they have 5 ranked women's team, but 6 is a better number.
I’ll poke the bear.

I’d rather stay where we are than go to the ACC if invited. Crazy, I know, but IMO it’s Big 10 or bust for UConn.

The ACC is the next to be raided by the Big 10 / SEC if there is further expansion and the left over scraps (BC, Wake Forrest, Georgia Tech, NC State, Va Tech, Duke, Pitt, Cuse) wouldn’t be better than our current situation.

The ACC is a sitting duck with a torpedo headed it’s way in the next few years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ll poke the bear.

I’d rather stay where we are than go to the ACC if invited. Crazy, I know, but IMO it’s Big 10 or bust for UConn.

The ACC is the next to be raided by the Big 10 / SEC if there is further expansion and the left over scraps (BC, Wake Forrest, Georgia Tech, NC State, Va Tech, Duke, Pitt, Cuse) wouldn’t be better than our current situation.

I’d very much rather be in the ACC. Forget the obvious financial and football impact. Duke/UNC/Cuse/UL/Pitt/UVA/FSU/BCU move the needle for me much more than Nova/Georgetown/Prov/Xavier. One down year for the league doesn’t change the fact they’re the better basketball conference. Even if MSG will always be the best conference tournament venue.

Reaction Score
I’d very much rather be in the ACC. Forget the obvious financial and football impact. Duke/UNC/Cuse/UL/Pitt/UVA/FSU/BCU move the needle for me much more than Nova/Georgetown/Prov/Xavier. One down year for the league doesn’t change the fact they’re the better basketball conference. Even if MSG will always be the best conference tournament venue.
I mean it really depends Cuse and UL are dumpster fires, BC is well BC, Pitt isn’t a basketball school anyomore and FSU and UVA don’t move he needle for this fan base imo. The question becomes which set of conference powers do you expect to be better over the next decade. Duke/UNC or Nova/UConn. Give me Nova and UConn. Hubert Davis has not proven he can coach, and we’ll see how Duke does post K

Reaction Score
I’ll poke the bear.

I agree. FSU and Clemson aren't going to sit idly by and watch SEC teams cash much larger checks, especially when the tv contracts get renewed. Question is where do the remnants of that league go? May result in the resurgence of the OBE.

Reaction Score
High major, Power 6. Go with whatever you like or make up your own name, they are all media creations but those 6 conferences are considered different than the rest by everyone in the sport. The point is The Big East is one of the best basketball conferences in the country and considered a power conference by everyone.

High-Major, yes.

Nevertheless, the P5 are still an entity unto themselves. We are still in the BCS/"non-BCS" era, only the letters are CFP/P5.

With the upcoming expansion of the football tournament (and the revenue spigot that will be activated), there will be more separation between P5 and High Major/"non-P5" than ever.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'd assume if the league is raided, they are coming for FSU, UNC, Clemson and either UVA or UL. Look at who would be left after that BCU / Duke / Cuse / Pitt / Wake Forrest / Georgia Tech / Va Tech / Miami. Not much more appealing than Nova / Georgetown / PC / Hall / Xavier / Butler / Creighton / Marquette.

As some one else suggested, it could be interesting to do a Bball merger for the ACC and Big East if the ACC football programs get raided. I'd welcome that.

Reaction Score
ACC is just brand name slop, both football and basketball. Obvious exceptions Duke BBall and Clemson Football. UNC is a great brand, and decent in both. Their Notre Dame affiliation saves them a good deal in perception.

Pitt, NC State, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Miami, Wake Forest, Louisville, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia.

My opinion actually got worse as I typed it out. almost 80% of the league is blah P5 filler slop that hasn't been impactful in years.

Reaction Score
The Power-5 is a made up media term to refer to the five autonomy conference that can provide some more resources to their student athletes. The term is used in football because it makes sense - those 5 autonomy conference enjoy special access to the New Year's Six Bowls and have landed all the CFP berths, except for Cincy.

Power-5 means nothing in basketball context because they don't enjoy any special privileges into the NCAA tournament. Each of the 32 conference have equal AQ access to the NCAA tournament, for now.

If you want to use Power-5 in basketball as a way to signify strength then you must use Power-6 as the Big East recruits and plays at the same level. The AAC is also pretty good

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In basketball, there are six majors (ACC, Big East, B1G, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC). Some consider the AAC a major but it won't be post-2023. The traditional multi-bid high mid majors are the AAC, A-10, MW, MVC, and WCC (since BYU joined-they are leaving but San Francisco seems to have stepped up their game). About eight to ten other leagues (Ivy, Southern, CAA, C-USA, etc.) are mid-majors and the rest are low-majors.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I mean it really depends Cuse and UL are dumpster fires, BC is well BC, Pitt isn’t a basketball school anyomore and FSU and UVA don’t move he needle for this fan base imo. The question becomes which set of conference powers do you expect to be better over the next decade. Duke/UNC or Nova/UConn. Give me Nova and UConn. Hubert Davis has not proven he can coach, and we’ll see how Duke does post K
They’re currently dumpster fires, but they have the resources to hire the right guy sooner or later. Pitt is a classic rival in the sense of old BE foe. FSU and UVA have more recent success than us with 2 all time great coaches, also in down years, most of the time they’d help us fill Gampel/XL.

But in regards to your question, I know it wouldn’t be the popular answer here, but I’m taking Duke and UNC. They’re both arguably the sports biggest brands, both bigger than UConn or Villanova. Even if they both need to cycle out their legacy coaches, they’re better situated in the long term.

I'd assume if the league is raided, they are coming for FSU, UNC, Clemson and either UVA or UL. Look at who would be left after that BCU / Duke / Cuse / Pitt / Wake Forrest / Georgia Tech / Va Tech / Miami. Not much more appealing than Nova / Georgetown / PC / Hall / Xavier / Butler / Creighton / Marquette.

As some one else suggested, it could be interesting to do a Bball merger for the ACC and Big East if the ACC football programs get raided. I'd welcome that.
I guess it depends how many schools and which leave. For all we know it’ll just be Clemson and FSU, which has a marginal effect on basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom