The actual NCAA penalties for PSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The actual NCAA penalties for PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Big Ten will withhold $13 million in bowl revenue from Penn State due to their bowl-ineligible status, per McMurphy.

Reaction Score
Just visited the PSU board, and apparently they're the real victims. Whining about vacating wins since 1998, why punish players & fans, bla bla bla. Still in denial and have no real grasp of the magnitude of the heinous crimes & coverup that were committed by the PSU brass, who put money over justice.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT, but it was mentioned twice and should be corrected. Bobby B is not the winningest coach. Eddie Robinson is the winningest coach in NCAA football history with 408. Everyone is chasing Eddie, not Bobby.

Reaction Score
Penn State got over. Short of a death penalty, they should have taken more scholarships. Already the cries of "save the program at any cost" have started.

Also Waquoit is right for once. State Penn has shown too little remorse, they have been slow to act in every respect. They could have taken initiative and self sanctioned, but they didn't, they dragged their feet in covering up Paterno's statue. They just don't get it.

I hope the victims get nine digits out State Penn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Slightly OT, but it was mentioned twice and should be corrected. Bobby B is not the winningest coach. Eddie Robinson is the winningest coach in NCAA football history with 408. Everyone is chasing Eddie, not Bobby.

Check the fine print, they are talking about FBS coaches.

Reaction Score
Penn State got over. Short of a death penalty, they should have taken more scholarships. Already the cries of "save the program at any cost" have started.

Also Waquoit is right for once. State Penn has shown too little remorse, they have been slow to act in every respect. They could have taken initiative and self sanctioned, but they didn't, they dragged their feet in covering up Paterno's statue. They just don't get it.

Seriously, anyone who thinks Penn State got off lightly is just looking at the penalties and not realizing their long term impacts on Penn State athletics. (Aside: Don't worry...most American's don't think ahead about the long term). Football accounts for nearly 70% of the athletic department revenue. About 30% of the revenue comes from sponsorships and endorsements. I have no doubt these penalties will financially ruin the athletic department and force programs to be cut.

In addition, the scandal has already had its toll on alumni giving and applications. Penn State is royally ducked. Sure...take away more scholarships. It'd only be a drop in the ocean of financial ruin Penn State has just delivered itself.

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to what seemed to be a maximum of 60 schollies awarded over the nexr 4 years. That would seem to mean that 4 years from now they would only have a maximum of 60 scholarship players minus transfers injuries or ineligible players. Unless they are allowed to make up those transfers or play with redshirts it could eventually be far less than 60.

What am I missing here?

Reaction Score

I agree on this, and I believe Penn State should have self sanctioned as well, and I said it many times. I think they were more than happy to have the NCAA impose sanctions. That give them the ability to blame somebody else for any problems they might have. As far as the sanctions go, I do think these are fairly severe, and quite honestly are worse than I expected. My preference would have been to shut the program down for a year, then allow only Big 10 games for the next year or two. But these sanctions will absolutley bite, especially as time goes on. I could see it taking 10 years to rebuild. But let's not kid ourselves, this is NOT worse than the dealth penalty.

Reaction Score
When the Penn State students start camping out and disrupting the classes of the ex President until he leaves the school, then I'll see that they GET IT. Too much of "we are Penn State", and this unfortunate incident could have happened anywhere.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The lesson here is that if you are a major program, the NCAA's punishment is always worth the crime.

6-7 years from now, Penn State will be 9-3 and playing in the Capital One or maybe even the first round of an expanded playoff, and it will be as if this penalty never happened. Both of USC's major programs got busted simultaneously for paying players and now USC football is back in the Top 5.

Reaction Score
The lesson here is that if you are a major program, the NCAA's punishment is always worth the crime.

6-7 years from now, Penn State will be 9-3 and playing in the Capital One or maybe even the first round of an expanded playoff, and it will be as if this penalty never happened. Both of USC's major programs got busted simultaneously for paying players and now USC football is back in the Top 5.

A) The playoffs can't be expanded for 12 years.
B) USC's punishment was far lighter than anything PSU ever got
C) As a result of said punishment, many of the top recruits didn't leave USC since they knew they would have the opportunity to be in a bowl game
D) The Pac-12 is weak as this year.

Reaction Score
I see where you are coming from, but you underestimate the motivating power of martyrdom. They should have cut more scholarships to remove any doubt. The NCAA has left a door open.

Seriously, anyone who thinks Penn State got off lightly is just looking at the penalties and not realizing their long term impacts on Penn State athletics. (Aside: Don't worry...most American's don't think ahead about the long term). Football accounts for nearly 70% of the athletic department revenue. About 30% of the revenue comes from sponsorships and endorsements. I have no doubt these penalties will financially ruin the athletic department and force programs to be cut.

In addition, the scandal has already had its toll on alumni giving and applications. Penn State is royally ducked. Sure...take away more scholarships. It'd only be a drop in the ocean of financial ruin Penn State has just delivered itself.

Reaction Score
I believe the Penn State penalties are very severe.

That said I strongly disagree with those in the media who say this is worse then the death penalty. Nobody will be saying that the first saturday in September when there are 75,000 + people in the stands at PSU. These penalties can be mitigated to some extent if O'Brien turns out to be a genius coach who is able to rally the troops (keep them from leaving) and is able to keep the program respectable enough so that at the end of the 4 year bowl ban PSU is able to hit the ground running. To that extent it remains to be seen how severe these penalties are.

Reaction Score

It's no longer funny how wrong and remarkably stupid you are. Four year bowl ban and major scholarship reduction, good luck getting anyone to come to Penn State. That, in addition to players transferring without penalty, making PSU a free agent market for the next year, and I read the NCAA even considered (don't know if they did) waiving the scholarship limit rule for teams taking on a PSU player. We have a better shot at playing in the national championship game in the next 6-7 years than PSU does at being in the Capital One Bowl. Over the period of the next four years, they'll have to pay a $60 million fine, and lose a total of $52 million from BCS bowl revenue, and not get any of their own bowl revenue, a total of probably close to $125 million. That's not at all insignificant.

Side question, is the NCAA making PSU repay their bowl earnings going back to 1998? Other schools who've vacated wins had to do that.

Reaction Score
nelson,
I'm not so sure that this won't be a good deal worse than that and much worse than USC's penalty. Trying to play a major football schedule with 60- 65 scholarship players is going to be pretty difficult. It is just not possible to build much depth, and the recruiting restrictions will hurt that too. I actually expected something like what USC got, but this is surprisingly more stringent. Penn State could be looking at a pretty long string of 3-8 seasons and I don't care who you are, it is difficult to overcome those quickly. Even when they get back to full strength, it will take a couple of years to actually rebuild the depth. And that is always one of the biggest strengths the major programs have...they lose a right tackle and the replacement is not some redshirt freshman, but a Jr who really could be starting.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A) The playoffs can't be expanded for 12 years.
B) USC's punishment was far lighter than anything PSU ever got
C) As a result of said punishment, many of the top recruits didn't leave USC since they knew they would have the opportunity to be in a bowl game
D) The Pac-12 is weak as this year.

A) for a different thread, but I think the bowl system is almost as dead as Paterno. I don't think it lasts 5 more years.

B) USC lost 10 schollies year for 3 years. PSU loses 20 schollies a year for 4. Close enough for government work. PSU just has to give up a few of the borderline kids that would have gone MAC if they didn't get a PSU schollie.

C) USC lost a lot of recruits. The bowl ban will hit 1 class really hard, then any recruit will be able to play in a bowl. And I think bowls are overrated for recruiting anyway. Not being able to play in Billy Bob's Truck Stop and Tractor Store Bowl in bumblepuck Mississippi is not like missing the NCAA Tournament in basketball.

D) The Pac 12 is OK, like it is every year in football. USC is a powerhouse.

Reaction Score
I believe the Penn State penalties are very severe.

That said I strongly disagree with those in the media who say this is worse then the death penalty. Nobody will be saying that the first saturday in September when there are 75,000 + people in the stands at PSU. These penalties can be mitigated to some extent if O'Brien turns out to be a genius coach who is able to rally the troops (keep them from leaving) and is able to keep the program respectable enough so that at the end of the 4 year bowl ban PSU is able to hit the ground running. To that extent it remains to be seen how severe these penalties are.
I do agree that I'm not sure that this is "worse" than the death penalty. This strikes me as different, as it doesn't create as much collateral damage as the death penalty would have. The businesses in State College who rely on PSU football to survive won't be shut down, the other programs in the athletic department that run off of football-generated revenue won't be affected as much, and both of those aren't a bad thing, though it does bring up "too big to fail" concerns.

That said, it still cripples the program, and in many ways, PSU will have their own "death penalty" to deal with, as they're going to have enormous trouble recruiting, scheduling games, etc. far beyond this four year period since few are going to want to be associating themselves with the program.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's no longer funny how wrong and remarkably stupid you are. Four year bowl ban and major scholarship reduction, good luck getting anyone to come to Penn State. That, in addition to players transferring without penalty, making PSU a free agent market for the next year, and I read the NCAA even considered (don't know if they did) waiving the scholarship limit rule for teams taking on a PSU player. We have a better shot at playing in the national championship game in the next 6-7 years than PSU does at being in the Capital One Bowl. Over the period of the next four years, they'll have to pay a $60 million fine, and lose a total of $52 million from BCS bowl revenue, and not get any of their own bowl revenue, a total of probably close to $125 million. That's not at all insignificant.

Side question, is the NCAA making PSU repay their bowl earnings going back to 1998? Other schools who've vacated wins had to do that.

I think the Penn State apologists are no longer funny.

2 years of 2-3 wins, then the option of immediate playing time at Penn State will land them a Top 10 class. By year 5 PSU will be 5-6 wins and be back up to 8-10 by year 7.

Small price to pay for hiding a child rapist for 20 years.

I would be shocked if the $60MM fine was not all inclusive.

Reaction Score
nelson,
I'm not so sure that this won't be a good deal worse than that and much worse than USC's penalty. Trying to play a major football schedule with 60- 65 scholarship players is going to be pretty difficult. It is just not possible to build much depth, and the recruiting restrictions will hurt that too. I actually expected something like what USC got, but this is surprisingly more stringent. Penn State could be looking at a pretty long string of 3-8 seasons and I don't care who you are, it is difficult to overcome those quickly. Even when they get back to full strength, it will take a couple of years to actually rebuild the depth. And that is always one of the biggest strengths the major programs have...they lose a right tackle and the replacement is not some redshirt freshman, but a Jr who really could be starting.
And after their scholarship restrictions are over, do you think all of the recruits are going to be lining up to go be associated with Penn State? The name itself is and will be toxic for many years to come and drive people away. That, in itself, is a punishment.

Reaction Score
They should also make them play us for at least the next 4 years so that we can go 4-0 against them.

Reaction Score
2 years of 2-3 wins, then the option of immediate playing time at Penn State will land them a Top 10 class. By year 5 PSU will be 5-6 wins and be back up to 8-10 by year 7.

I don't think the penalties were severe enough, but watching you act as if you can predict the future is still fun.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the penalties were severe enough, but watching you act as if you can predict the future is still fun.

Do you ever make a post that is not attacking another poster? Do you ever simply talk football or basketball on this board?

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if the $60MM fine was not all inclusive.
Learn to read, the $60 MM was assessed by the NCAA, the $13 MM per year forfeiture of BCS revenue is imposed by the B1G on TOP of the 60. PSU's loss of its own bowl revenue for four years is then on TOP of that. $60 MM is NOT the extent of their financial penalties imposed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom