The actual NCAA penalties for PSU | The Boneyard

The actual NCAA penalties for PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$60MM fine for sexual abuse endowment (1 year gross revenue for football)
- 4 bowl/post season ban
- 20 scholarships per year over 4 years. (10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period)
- all current PSU players can transfer
- all 1998 - 2011 wins vacated
- 5 years probation

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Penn State will have a limit of 65 scholarships.
The FCS limit is 63.

Reaction Score
Only thing I don't get is vacating wins. Not sure it really hurts anyone, and it isn't like Penn State lost those games. In a sense I guess it hurts Joe Paterno's legacy, but that is crushed now anyway. In effect, Penn State is a 1AA team in terms of scholarships, I agree with zls44. Not sure that they will be particularly relevant for at least a decade at least so this is a pretty harsh penalty, though I still think a 1 year suspension would be the right thing to do and I wish Penn State would make that decison on its own. Clearly they have no intention of doing that, though.

Reaction Score
I think the point was the NCAA did not want JoePa to be seen as a leader, in any respect. Vacating his wins, means future coaches are not chasing him, they are chasing Bobby B. Vacating the wins, IMO, was their chance to penalize from the grave. This is not a shot at PSU, it is a shot at him. The irony is that they get to take credit for the wins when Sandusky was on staff.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's a shot at Paterno. I only have a problem with the 4 year bowl ban as it all but forces all the players to transfer. Without that, they could have stayed and the program still would have been crippled. The ban halts recruiting for a period longer than the death penalty would have done and sends the new coaching staff packing.

They are toast for at least a decade, assuming they can find a top coach in four years.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Amazing how far Paterno has fallen. Almost had the B1G championship trophy partly named after himself.

They should have been given at least a 5 year bowl ban.

Reaction Score
I thought it was 10 schollys for each of 4 years. 15 x 4 is 60. 65 is a little less penalty than 60 minus transfers.

Reaction Score
I thought it was 10 schollys for each of 4 years. 15 x 4 is 60. 65 is a little less penalty than 60 minus transfers.
There is definitely some confusion about the scholarship part of it. I have heard it expanded different ways.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

It's 20 per year. 10 new ones and 10 renewals (seniors)

They are allowed an incoming class of 15 max and 65 total instead of 25/85 for each of the next four years.

Reaction Score

Not how it works,

for a normal situation, you can have a total of 85 scholarships any given year, and can only have 25 of those be new kids each year.

For PSU, they will only be able to bring in a max of 15 new kids under scholarship each year, and have a max limit of 65 total scholarships

Reaction Score
Paterno losses 111 victories and falls to 12 position in all time wins. Bobby B is now number 1.

Reaction Score
It's a shot at Paterno. I only have a problem with the 4 year bowl ban as it all but forces all the players to transfer. Without that, they could have stayed and the program still would have been crippled. The ban halts recruiting for a period longer than the death penalty would have done and sends the new coaching staff packing.

They are toast for at least a decade, assuming they can find a top coach in four years.

Penn St. with these penalties are toast for more than a decade IMO. This is the death penalty x2. Worst part for Penn State is that this will make them probably irrelevant in every sport (maybe save volleyball) for a generation. Football was really the only revenue producing sport for Penn State. Their basketball teams have been mediocre at best (women's team a little better). But without this revenue to balance the costs of some of the other programs, I imagine sports will be cut. Yes, the revenue hit is technically for 1 year...but a poor product on the field plus a suppressed fan base will only make revenues hit the toilet (I mean...they already have).

This is pretty much the worst news for any Penn State fan.

pj

Reaction Score

Players can redshirt, 15 x 5 = 75. That means they can have 15 each of Fr/So/Jr/Sr and 5 RS Sr.

I think it's soft. Should have skipped the fine and imposed a much longer bowl ban.

Reaction Score
I think this is the scholarship situation.

PSU can only award 15 per year from 13-16 and can only have 65 (hence the 20 reduction) on scholarship at any time rather than 85.

Reaction Score
Penn St. with these penalties are toast for more than a decade IMO. This is the death penalty x2. Worst part for Penn State is that this will make them probably irrelevant in every sport (maybe save volleyball) for a generation. Football was really the only revenue producing sport for Penn State. Their basketball teams have been mediocre at best (women's team a little better). But without this revenue to balance the costs of some of the other programs, I imagine sports will be cut. Yes, the revenue hit is technically for 1 year...but a poor product on the field plus a suppressed fan base will only make revenues hit the toilet (I mean...they already have).

If it were really worse than the death penalty, PSU would just declare the death penalty and keep its $60 million. I think something else is going on. I suspect they are using this to manage the program to another level. But that's not leadership. They should just end it, and keep that money.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They got off light. Not enough remorse coming from PSU. They just paid for indulgences.

Reaction Score
If it were really worse than the death penalty, PSU would just declare the death penalty and keep its $60 million. I think something else is going on. I suspect they are using this to manage the program to another level. But that's not leadership. They should just end it, and keep that money.
Football made the school. They get to live in embarrassment for who knows how long.

Reaction Score
They got off light. Not enough remorse coming from PSU. They just paid for indulgences.
Agreed... the crazy part is once the trial comes up it's gonna look even more like they got off light...It's like a wise guy paying somebody off to do a little time ( slap on the wrist ) and be like business as usual after the 4 years are up.

Reaction Score
Paterno (and Sandusky) didn't get off lightly. As they say, reality is stranger than fiction.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
One of the bylines of the scholarship situation is that current players can stop playing football, stay in school at PSU and keep their schollie if they want. Some might want to do that but obviously the ones with NFL aspirations will be more likely to transfer and keep playing.

Big Ten conference will take some action too. Wonder if it'll be related to TV.

Reaction Score
I would have been fine with shutting the entire program down for 5 years.

But, in all honesty, these penalties are fairly severe.

I don't feel too badly for O'Brien and staff. Hopefully his agent was smart enough to put in an out clause in case something like this happened. I feel badly for the current kids on the roster. Yes, they can transfer, but how many spots are available out there at other programs? Is the NCAA allowing schools to go over the 85 limit?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Agreed.

I don't think they got off light, but the lack of remorse from the school and any sort of proactive punishments from within. I get the impression there's still too much "We're Penn St and we'll fight through whatever you send our way".

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I don't think they got off light, but the lack of remorse from the school and any sort of proactive punishments from within. I get the impression there's still too much "We're Penn St and we'll fight through whatever you send our way".

Look no further than the PSU trustee who said Emmert was given this authority by the other pansy presidents to take action.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Look no further than the PSU trustee who said Emmert was given this authority by the other pansy presidents to take action.

Bilas just made a good point about the presidents old-boy club. The new PSU prez refused to say anything about Spanier.

Reaction Score
Bilas just made a good point about the presidents old-boy club. The new PSU prez refused to say anything about Spanier.
Bilas just shot himself in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69