The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more…

Reaction Score
Didn't hear many specifics.
Nothing signed.
Some buzzwords sprinkled with happy talk.

Either they don't want anyone to know what they agreed to, or there's just some kind of non-binding "agreement in principle". Which means there's no agreement at all because the overriding principles are self-preservation and anti-competitive exclusion. This was a big overhyped dud. Whoever it was meant to scare is laughing their shorts off.

Reaction Score
Didn't hear many specifics.
Nothing signed.
Some buzzwords sprinkled with happy talk.

Either they don't want anyone to know what they agreed to, or there's just some kind of non-binding "agreement in principle". Which means there's no agreement at all because the overriding principles are self-preservation and anti-competitive exclusion. This was a big overhyped dud. Whoever it was meant to scare is laughing their shorts off.

It depends on what your expectation were..

More inter scheduling of men's and women's basketball...a good thing for the Alliance.

In women’s and men’s basketball, the three conferences will add early and mid-season games as well as annual events that feature premier matchups between the three leagues.

More football match ups between conference members...a good thing..

The football scheduling alliance will feature additional attractive matchups across the three conferences while continuing to honor historic rivalries and the best traditions of college football..

The scheduling alliance will begin as soon as practical while honoring current contractual obligations. A working group comprised of athletic directors representing the three conferences will oversee the scheduling component of the alliance, including determining the criteria upon which scheduling decisions will be made. All three leagues and their respective institutions understand that scheduling decisions will be an evolutionary process given current scheduling commitments.

I think we will see fewer scheduled OOC cupcake games and more matches like UNC-Penn State down the road some.

And a coordinated block vs the SEC go it alone...a good thing.

Reaction Score
But...the biggest thing for the Alliance..

Is having more combined P5 votes than the SEC when considerations of NCAA reform, CFP playoff policies, etc. are decided. They have the majority Autonomous Program vote.

I don't expect much else other than coordination in the short term.

Reaction Score
As far as UConn is concerned I wonder if this helps them on the football front at all. They’re saying although not stated the scheduling alliance in football will encourage them to schedule OOC games between each other and shut the SEC out. Could we potentially pick up some SEC teams on our future schedule that they would normally schedule with teams from those three leagues? I know it’s kind of wishful thinking, but as an independent it benefits us that we still have relationships with all the leagues as they all need games in some capacity.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
But...the biggest thing for the Alliance..

Is having more combined P5 votes than the SEC when considerations of NCAA reform, CFP playoff policies, etc. are decided. They have the majority Autonomous Program vote.

I don't expect much else other than coordination in the short term.
I know you are a FSU and ACC homer...but this really doesn't read like much. It just sounds like they are cranky with the SEC. And....I would think this "agreement" would crumble with the first disagreement.

The funniest thing was their statement of support of the Big 12...they love them but won't let them in the party. They don't like that the SEC acts in their own interests and excludes others....but they do the same thing to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
It is what it is...and pretty much what I have stated.

Increasingly, the G5 are falling away. There will be supportive murmers...but the organization of a tier 1, 2, and 3 is inevitable.

The tier 1 programs that draw big ratings will be matched on the available linear bandwidth, the tier 2 (Wake vs Northwestern, etc) will be matched on conference channels...and Tier 3 will be available to stream. ESPN3 and the like can have an infinite number of teams that people can stream.

Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted. From Matt: announced and unannounced ? What's he got ? I heard some Pitt noise from HCRE B4 .

Reaction Score
Alliance verbal flatulence:

"The alliance will honor all previously contracted games."
No contract exists between so-called Alliance conference programs, even less meat exists on their verbal dreaming bone, and IMHO zero guarantee pre-existing game contract exit clauses may not be leveraged by sort-of- Alliance schools. If an individual school wants out of games with G5 schools and independents or ESPN calls the shot, the former will just pay to kill contracts. No different than before yesterday's Alliance PR flatulence.

Reaction Score
If an individual school wants out of games with G5 schools and independents or ESPN calls the shot, the former will just pay to kill contracts. No different than before yesterday's Alliance PR flatulence.

True, that's a no brainer, see $1.8 mil from TENN for a one way ticket away from the Rent for example .... but as I highlighted , has Matt heard anything per his tweet regarding "/unannounced ACC and Big Ten games on future (#UConnFootball) schedules" ???

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I believe the Pac-12 will come out on Friday and decide not to expand.
The Big 12 will have no choice but to expand for basketball inventory. My guess is Houston and Cincinnati.

The American would backfill with Rice, and ever-body else would stay put.

The Big 12 would still be a power conference in basketball but not football.

Reaction Score
I believe the Pac-12 will come out on Friday and decide not to expand.

The Big 12 will have no choice but to expand for basketball inventory. My guess is Houston and Cincinnati.

The American would backfill with Rice, and ever-body else would stay put.

The Big 12 would still be a power conference in basketball but not football.
I don’t disagree on PAC-12 standing pat.

Houston… May have a problem: ;)

Reaction Score
If the Pac-12 likely opts not to expand, as football drives the bus and generates far more revenue than hoops, why do you think "The Big 12 will have no choice but to expand for basketball inventory"? Especially as it appears KU, OK State, TX Tech, and recent national champion Baylor don't appear to be going anywhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My feeling is the the alliance is nothing more than a statement to the SEC that everything is going to be a 3 against 1 vote, so play nice.
Maybe, but that's not nothing.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree on PAC-12 standing pat.

Houston… May have a problem: ;)

If we were still in the American, would we be in this discussion?

CL82

Reaction Score

Not about money?

Kevin James Yes GIF by TV Land

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I wonder if the Big 10, ACC, and SEC are going to come out with similar comments.

Reaction Score
The AAC and Big 12 are lined up facing each other..

"Red rover, red rover, we dare you come over."

Played it as a kid.

The SEC plays it more like the scene in Westside Story...snap, snap, out comes the blade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom