That wasn't basketball, but better times ahead | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That wasn't basketball, but better times ahead

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Please Stay Healthy Please Stay Healthy Please Stay Healthy Please Stay Healthy Please Stay Healthy Please Stay Healthy

This is what I say with the Pats annually. Can't believe I have to do the same with the Huskies. But I do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't think so? Still feel like head to toe the AAC is a better hoops league even if it isn't the hoop centric league the A10 is.

In the A10 the games are barely even televised.

I don't think Dayton or VCU would want to join. From a basketball standpoint the leagues are pretty much equal. From a travel standpoint the A-10 has a huge advantage.

Joining a football league as a basketball only is insane - especially if you are the only one.

Wichita would be interested because once Creighton bailed on the MVC it has seemingly become an auto-bid only league. If that Illinois State team is below the line of a 68 team tourney then the MVC is probably never getting multiple bids again.

C

Chief00

I agree with this point in general, but this seems like a good spot to note that over the past couple games Vital had several of the nicest hard cuts without the ball I've seen from a UConn player in years. Not sure where it came from, but hope he keeps it up next year.

Confirmed.

Reaction Score
Just a few rambling thoughts, because I can't expand much more than what Fishy said - because he's really spot-on across the board.

I think this team takes a big step forward and I think there's absolutely a scenario where things come together with this group to make some serious noise. I like our group of guards - from a pure talent standpoint - as much as anyone in the country. Where i'm down a bit is that Gilbert didn't play this year and honestly - it's one thing to practice and whatnot and an entirely different thing to carve your teeth on the court. He's talented enough to jump right in - but early on I see growing pains. Then mix in MAL and he's more of the same - which isn't necesarily a bad thing.

On the wings, we're fine. I don't expect us to be total world beaters but there's plenty there to be competitive and again - gel later in the year. So i'm fine there.

The front court - plain and simple - is the issue. Without it, we'll kind of be what we are.

I'm all for the conference beefing up the hoops slate by adding a team - maybe two. I'd agree that the best candidates are probably wichita, VCU, Dayton and URI. I'm agnostic as to who it is, as they've all got some obvious benefits and some obvious shortcomings. I'm more interested to see how the successful programs in the conference keep up the momentum and bringing the middle of the conference up to scuff. The teams that are languishing probably will for the forseeable future. Adding a team probably speeds up the process, though - and the conference needs all the help it can get.

Reaction Score
Oh Karl Hess. He's the who stole an overtime basket and possession from us against Marquette a few years ago then blamed the players for lining up incorrectly.

Also - next year we need a UConn Mom to step up. There's been a gaping void of exuberance behind the bench since Andrea Walker and Carmen Velasquez left.
And the super hit ms. Boatright.

Reaction Score
I hate the American Conference for being so freaking stupid that they hired Karl Hess to officiate a tournament game. Someone needs to be shot.
I guess no gun was readily available. Karl Hess, Ron Groover and Mike Nance, the Saturday night butchers of our game, we're back for an encore on Sunday. (Well almost.) Mike Nance (the obvious sacrificial fall guy) was replaced by Olandis Poole, selected because the pea was missing from his whistle.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think Dayton or VCU would want to join. From a basketball standpoint the leagues are pretty much equal. From a travel standpoint the A-10 has a huge advantage.

Joining a football league as a basketball only is insane - especially if you are the only one.

Wichita would be interested because once Creighton bailed on the MVC it has seemingly become an auto-bid only league. If that Illinois State team is below the line of a 68 team tourney then the MVC is probably never getting multiple bids again.

The bolded above - I'm not sure I follow this as it pertains to the A10. I understand wanting to stay with like minded athletic institutions and that it would be crazy for a Georgetown or Villanova to consider joining a league that supports football, for instance if they received an ACC basketball invite.

However, the A10 is never on national TV and even our measly payout from the AAC seems a lot higher than the few hundred thousand that the A10 receives. I agree the travel isn't comparable, but if you're VCU don't you think playing UConn, SMU, Memphis, Temple on ESPN Networks far outweighs playing Dayton, URI, St. Joe's on NBC Sports Channel? I feel like even with the added travel, they'd still come out with more money in the AAC too?

Could be wrong - but interested to hear why.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The bolded above - I'm not sure I follow this as it pertains to the A10. I understand wanting to stay with like minded athletic institutions and that it would be crazy for a Georgetown or Villanova to consider joining a league that supports football, for instance if they received an ACC basketball invite.

However, the A10 is never on national TV and even our measly payout from the AAC seems a lot higher than the few hundred thousand that the A10 receives. I agree the travel isn't comparable, but if you're VCU don't you think playing UConn, SMU, Memphis, Temple on ESPN Networks far outweighs playing Dayton, URI, St. Joe's on NBC Sports Channel? I feel like even with the added travel, they'd still come out with more money in the AAC too?

Could be wrong - but interested to hear why.

They would spend the delta on TV money in travel before the fall semester is over.

You are also the lone member of a 13 team league that makes all your decisions based on basketball. The other 12 schools are making their decisions weighted by football.

Yes they would get more television exposure - but Dayton and VCU are as successful right now as every AAC program but three.

The AAC gets treated like garbage by the selection committee. Who would sign up for that?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They would spend the delta on TV money in travel before the fall semester is over.

You are also the lone member of a 13 team league that makes all your decisions based on basketball. The other 12 schools are making their decisions weighted by football.

Yes they would get more television exposure - but Dayton and VCU are as successful right now as every AAC program but three.

The AAC gets treated like garbage by the selection committee. Who would sign up for that?

1) I guess I made the assumption that the invite would be for basketball only. I would think they could dump at least some of their non-revenue sports in the CAA.
2) I don't see how the league making decisions on football - aside from adding a new league member - would affect VCU? Trading football TV exposure on ESPN in lieu of basketball exposure, I suppose? Payouts from the deal too.
3) No debating that VCU/Dayton are highly successful. I think VCU has made 6 straight tourneys. Only Cincinnati can say that in the AAC.
4) Doesn't seem like the A10 is any better. 11 seed for URI, 10 seed for VCU and a 7 seed for Dayton?

In any event, I guess this idea made me think of a future where UConn can join the ACC in some capacity as a basketball member with some football arrangement. I actually think AAC Football is a pretty solid product - especially playing in the Eastern Division with some familiar opponents, but man, this hoop season just sucks the life out of you.

I wonder if UConn could survive with a ND-lite type deal? Play as the 16th hoop team, and then football have a 2 home 2 away deal but be from a list of selected teams (i.e. no FSU, Clemson, VT or something) and then have at least a low level bowl tie in (probably still better than what we have in the AAC). Fill out the remainder of the schedule - 2 ACC home, 2 ACC away, UMass, MAC, P5, BYU? Certainly would be a bit worse than the AAC, but I guess I'm desperate.

/rant over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1) I guess I made the assumption that the invite would be for basketball only. I would think they could dump at least some of their non-revenue sports in the CAA.
2) I don't see how the league making decisions on football - aside from adding a new league member - would affect VCU? Trading football TV exposure on ESPN in lieu of basketball exposure, I suppose? Payouts from the deal too.
3) No debating that VCU/Dayton are highly successful. I think VCU has made 6 straight tourneys. Only Cincinnati can say that in the AAC.
4) Doesn't seem like the A10 is any better. 11 seed for URI, 10 seed for VCU and a 7 seed for Dayton?

In any event, I guess this idea made me think of a future where UConn can join the ACC in some capacity as a basketball member with some football arrangement. I actually think AAC Football is a pretty solid product - especially playing in the Eastern Division with some familiar opponents, but man, this hoop season just sucks the life out of you.

I wonder if UConn could survive with a ND-lite type deal? Play as the 16th hoop team, and then football have a 2 home 2 away deal but be from a list of selected teams (i.e. no FSU, Clemson, VT or something) and then have at least a low level bowl tie in (probably still better than what we have in the AAC). Fill out the remainder of the schedule - 2 ACC home, 2 ACC away, UMass, MAC, P5, BYU? Certainly would be a bit worse than the AAC, but I guess I'm desperate.

/rant over.

I guess I just don't see the attraction of joining a league nobody wants to be when you are in a solid fit.

I agree if they haven't approached the ACC with that idea I'd be surprised - but it's not like UConn has any leverage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom