Terry Larrier to Transfer to UConn! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier to Transfer to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Again I was just replying to a poster who said he was a sure first round pick. Right now he isn't . I hope he improves his offense and defense and I think adding strength this off season will be critical to accomplishing that.
You very specifically said there's no way he's a sure fire NBA prospect. And you're wrong about that because he 100% is an NBA prospect.

Reaction Score
You very specifically said there's no way he's a sure fire NBA prospect. And you're wrong about that because he 100% is an NBA prospect.

He almost is a definite 1st rounder just based on how they draft now although he still needs to rebound the ball better, think he will. He may be 100% an NBA prospect but he is not 100% going to be an NBA player. I think that may be where he meat to go and that's a fair assessment.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, the conversation started with who would be drafted.
But could 3rdbass please start a new thread, something like, "I don't think much of AB". Then he can stop derailing other threads with this repeated theme and everyone who wants to argue with him can get on that thread.
In the meantime could this thread focus on Larrier?

Reaction Score
I like the fact Larrier is a great athlete David and his upside is tremendous. His year of learning the system and how his game fits will be wonderful while getting stronger. Also I saw some nice rebounds in traffic in tcf's video so I think he can be a Hamilton-like rebounder.

So to get this back on track what else? ;)

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Native Americans used to name their children after the first thing they saw as they left their tepees after their children were born, hence the names Sitting Bull and Running Water.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I like the fact Larrier is a great athlete David and his upside is tremendous. His year of learning the system and how his game fits will be wonderful while getting stronger. Also I saw some nice rebounds in traffic in tcf's video so I think he can be a Hamilton-like rebounder.

So to get this back on track what else? ;)
All of the issues listed in 3's player profile " Weaknesses:
-Very frail physically. Narrow frame that will likely take years to fill out
-Mediocre ball-handler. Cannot create his own shot
-Shot-selection is fairly poor. Feel for the game/experience-level looks average at best
-Lacks some toughness defensively. Gets backed down inside the paint
-Not a consistent shooter

Outlook: Long-term small forward with nice physical attributes, but very raw overall skill-set. Has upside, but needs time to get stronger and improve his ball-handling, jump-shot and feel for game. "

WILL improve with a year of practice and training!

Reaction Score
huskyharry said:
All of the issues listed in 3's player profile " Weaknesses: -Very frail physically. Narrow frame that will likely take years to fill out -Mediocre ball-handler. Cannot create his own shot -Shot-selection is fairly poor. Feel for the game/experience-level looks average at best -Lacks some toughness defensively. Gets backed down inside the paint -Not a consistent shooter Outlook: Long-term small forward with nice physical attributes, but very raw overall skill-set. Has upside, but needs time to get stronger and improve his ball-handling, jump-shot and feel for game. " WILL improve with a year of practice and training!

I was going to say that was one of the worst player evaluations I've ever seen. Then I realized you cropped it after the "strengths" section.

Reaction Score
This is a perfect situation. He'll learn from Hamilton and Miller this year and then hopefully step right into the starting lineup with VJ King.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Native Americans used to name their children after the first thing they saw as they left their tepees after their children were born, hence the names Sitting Bull and Running Water.
I heard that joke too... Two dogs F%^king..........................

Reaction Score
All of the issues listed in 3's player profile " Weaknesses:
-Very frail physically. Narrow frame that will likely take years to fill out
-Mediocre ball-handler. Cannot create his own shot
-Shot-selection is fairly poor. Feel for the game/experience-level looks average at best
-Lacks some toughness defensively. Gets backed down inside the paint
-Not a consistent shooter

Outlook: Long-term small forward with nice physical attributes, but very raw overall skill-set. Has upside, but needs time to get stronger and improve his ball-handling, jump-shot and feel for game. "

WILL improve with a year of practice and training!

Glad this thread got back on point....I say him play in person 4 times this year in person. He is skinny but very long. The shot selection point is not correct...VCU's offense was centered around Weber penetrating along with Graham and when Weber went down they were lost. Even when Weber was there the program was based on high energy defense, rebounding and run outs. In a half court set they were not fun to watch.

He does have a huge upside, athletic with good skills. He can be passive with some traits similar to Rudy Gay with a worse jump shot. All in all, I think he will be a very good player in our program. VCU didn't want to lose him...we should be very happy to have him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Given that he's coming here tomorrow, I would say that we would seem to have a shot.
I understand. But he planned that visit before Larrier committed. I hope to god we can beat out Pitino on this one, but I don't think we get him. Just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong obviously. Unless we know that Hamilton is planning to leave after this upcoming year...

Reaction Score
I understand. But he planned that visit before Larrier committed. I hope to god we can beat out Pitino on this one, but I don't think we get him. Just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong obviously. Unless we know that Hamilton is planning to leave after this upcoming year...
Hamilton is planning to leave after this upcoming year.

Unless he gets injured or something else happens, he's gone. It's widely accepted IMO.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Solomon Islanders do the same, hence the kid I met named Nos Moking

Reaction Score
Some more stuff on Larrier from Richmond.com, which appears to be for VCU what the Courant is for UConn, to give us an idea of how he performed throughout the 14-15 season:

10/1/2014
http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_7c6fae34-3e6e-5da1-97a4-2468719521f8.html

“(Larrier) is very talented,” Smart said. “He’s going to help us a lot this year. The biggest key for him is going to be coming into practice and coming into games with a clear head and just being the best he can be right now and not worrying so much about the expectations that are placed on him.

“He’s done a really good job in workouts learning some of the stuff we do. He’s got a lot more to learn defensively than he does offensively, but as a freshman he’s got to grow on both sides of the ball.”

10/21/2014
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/atlantic-10/article_fc82ad3d-ecb0-52d6-937b-781e50db4e32.html

Melvin Johnson, on heralded 6-8 freshman wing Terry Larrier: “He’s already earned the reputation around here that if Terry’s in transition, don’t even jump. He’s a freak athlete. He’s got some big-time finishes. … He looks down at the rim a lot of the time.”

11/20/2014
http://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...cle_c650196a-e55c-5788-834b-2f9a7be7ddb0.html

Larrier, a 6-foot-8 freshman wing and a top recruit, settled in offensively in his third college game, despite getting popped and suffering a bloody nose in the second half.

“I definitely felt more comfortable, this being my third game, with the speed of the game,” he said.

Larrier was 3 of 14 and 1 of 9 on 3-pointers in his first two games. He was 7 of 10 and 4 of 7 behind the arc against UMES.

“It’s a preview of what he can do on offense,” Smart said.

1/3/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/atlantic-10/article_02600c42-6f54-5d91-ace8-20d5f31e2c30.html

Larrier, VCU’s touted freshman, is coming off a 13-point effort in Monday’s 72-63 victory over Cleveland State. He made 3 of 6 3-point attempts, continuing an upswing after a slow start.

Larrier, a 6-foot-8 wing, was 6 for 27 on 3-point attempts in the first eight games as he adjusted to the college pace. He’s 8 for 17 since.

“As the season progresses, (the nerves) go away,” said Larrier, who is shooting 37.1 percent overall while averaging 6.1 points and 15.5 minutes.

1/7/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/atlantic-10/article_624908a3-5276-5155-84dd-6696c9de71db.html

“The coaches emphasized getting a hand up and staying attached to them,” freshman wing Terry Larrier said.

Larrier, who’s 6-foot-8, showed an array of offensive moves that made him a coveted recruit. He’s been more of a perimeter shooter in the early going, but he displayed more of an all-around game with a couple of spin moves in the lane.

He had 11 points and five rebounds.

“He had a different look in his eye,” Smart said. “The Terry down the road is going to be a terrific scorer, a terrific rebounder, just a dynamic player. We’re working towards that.”

1/27/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/atlantic-10/article_005e48a5-d60b-55a9-b90a-75141216d24c.html

Larrier continues to come of age and show more facets of his game. With 11 of his points coming in the first half, the heralded 6-foot-8 freshman scored on 3-pointers, a three-point play and spin moves. He had two assists, including a nice wraparound pass to Alie-Cox for a dunk.

“I definitely have an attack mindset, whatever the team needs me to do, whether it’s score or play defense,” said Larrier, who has averaged 8.3 points in the past eight games.

2/23/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_f6474902-e4ae-5317-87cb-8d6517edcf50.html

Terry Larrier, 6-8, Bronx, N.Y. Has shown why he was viewed as the gem of the Rams’ glittering class. Could develop into inside-outside all-league player. A stronger Larrier will be a very difficult Larrier to guard. Averages 17.3 minutes, 6.6 points, 2.6 rebounds.

3/3/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_12e4fc97-e3b2-58cc-8ac3-cd42d0ced538.html

Expectations followed Terry Larrier to VCU. So he tuned them out.

Larrier, a top 50 recruit who was big on Twitter in high school, stopped paying attention to what was being said about him on social and traditional media.

“Everybody else’s expectations don’t matter,” he said. “The only expectations I need to meet are mine and coach (Shaka) Smart’s. Once I do that, I’ll be fine with the way I’m playing and the way everything is going.”

Larrier arrived as the most talked-about recruit of this season’s class. Some heavy hitters — Connecticut and Florida among them — wanted a 6-foot-8 player who can handle the ball and play on the wing.

His transition to the college game has been typical of a freshman who needs to get stronger (about 190 pounds), although there have been moments and games where he has flashed all-around ability with 3-pointers and spin moves into the lane.

Larrier has scored eight or more points 11 times, including 11 in his first game and 21 in his third. He’s scored four or fewer points in 12 games.

He’s averaging 6.4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 17.2 minutes and shooting 36.5 percent as VCU (21-8, 11-5) tries to stay in contention in the A-10 with a game at Davidson (21-6, 12-4) on Thursday.

“He’s handled (the pressure of being a top recruit) really well,” Smart said. “I think he’s understood that it’s a process. Like any other freshman, he’s had ups and downs. But overall he’s really handled the fact that it’s not all going to come at once. ‘I need to make progress. I need to continue to grow. I need to be coachable.’

“As long as he continues to do that, his future is extremely bright.”

Among the adjustments Larrier had to make to the college game was playing hard all the time, playing better defense and going against stronger players.

His defense has come along, Smart said, and the change has been “more mental than anything, just what your identity is. A lot of guys come in solely as an offensive player.”

Larrier has gained about 15 pounds. He wants put on about 15 more for next season and eventually get to 220.

“I remember when we first played pickup,” he said. “I wanted to guard the best player, so I was guarding (6-6, 225-pound Treveon Graham). Tre’s got like 30, maybe 40 pounds on me. He drove to the basket and kind of bullied me. I came down and tried to take him to the basket. I couldn’t. I was too weak. So I had to settle for a jump shot.”

In several ways, being thin helped Larrier develop his skills. He wasn’t always tall — 5-7 in eighth grade, 6-feet in ninth grade — and played guard. When the Bronx, N.Y., native went against older, stronger players in the parks he was “never able to get to the basket. I had to shoot it.”

Larrier still is more comfortable shooting 3-pointers. A little more than 60 percent of his shots have come from behind the arc, where he’s shooting 27.7 percent. It’s those drives to the basket that, with more weight, show his potential to become a major matchup problem.

“He can be really good,” Smart said. “The guys who have been the best players here over the last 10 years, he’s doing as well or better than they did as freshmen. You have to go back a long way, maybe even to Kendrick Warren, to find a freshman who really set the world on fire.

“Eric Maynor didn’t. Larry Sanders didn’t. Bradford Burgess didn’t, even though he started every game. Treveon Graham didn’t. Briante Weber didn’t. But those guys all played. They all contributed to winning teams, and that’s what Terry is doing.”

3/18/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_378ec967-35e9-5a08-9da8-d17a01613d5b.html

Larrier gets ‘in rhythm’

VCU freshman Terry Larrier had a breakout Atlantic 10 tournament, and the Rams would like to see him keep it going against Ohio State.

The 6-foot-8 wing averaged 9 points and 5.8 rebounds in VCU’s four-game sweep. He was 4 of 14 on 3-pointers, but he made some key baskets. He also was 18 of 19 at the foul line, with several coming in late-game, pressure situations.

“Just my mentality going into it was being aggressive and doing what the team needed and just losing myself,” he said. “Doing that, good things happen. I’m just going to stick with that mentality.

“Nothing was different. I was in rhythm.”

Larrier said he wasn’t nervous going into his first NCAA tournament.

“I’m just excited to get out there,” he said, “and give it my all.”

3/20/2015
http://www.richmond.com/sports/paul-woody/article_4fc85830-180d-50da-9957-0b142b8ac466.html

Freshmen Terry Larrier, 6-8, Justin Tillman, 6-7, and Michael Gilmore, 6-9, have to add weight and strength.

Larrier, who played almost 19 minutes per game this season, has to do more than settle for shots from the perimeter.

His upside is high. But he has to improve as Treveon Graham, Weber, Brooks and Melvin Johnson have in their time at VCU.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_0c489c21-f35d-54c2-b77a-97c7b3a144be.html

Point guard JeQuan Lewis, big man Mo Alie-Cox, and guards Doug Brooks and Jordan Burgess will be juniors. Guard Terry Larrier, point guard Jonathan Williams, and forwards Justin Tillman and Michael Gilmore will be sophomores.

“This definitely makes me want to work harder,” said Larrier, who will use the offseason to put on weight (6-8, 185 pounds). “I definitely don’t want to feel this feeling again. I’m going to use this as motivation to get in the gym and just work hard.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom