Tenn v UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tenn v UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UT needs to come clean with a PUBLIC apology. After all, the complaints were VERY public, and, unless the apology is also made public, for all involved in WCBB to see and understand, there shouldn't be any discussion regarding UT and UConn meeting in any regular season games, regardless of ESPN or any other media outlet offer...

Reaction Score
IMO the series should not be renewed until/unless UConn & Tennessee meet in the NCAA tournament, preferably Elite Eight or better. IMO Tennessee has to earn the right to play UConn again by proving it is a truly elite program once more.

For the schools to play now would be meaningless- there is no more UConn-Tennessee history/rivalry, that died in 2008. It would simply be for nostalgia.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The demand for a public apology should include the NCAA tournament. If no apology, UConn should forfeit the game. There are principles involved here.
Won't happen, but I like that idea. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN isn't bigger than the sport.
Geno isn't bigger than WCBB.
Most fans probably want it, ESPN says so. It would be good for the game. We need some tougher competition.
This is a no-brainer.
Play the game Geno. You know we'll crush them.
People who believe this make me sick to my stomach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
guys and gals TN is never going to apologize for anything related to Maya Moore's recruitment. if that's a prerequisite, then they will only play in tourney games. just my thoughts.
Let's hope you're right and they never apologize. Then hopefully we'll never have to play them again.

Reaction Score
guys and gals TN is never going to apologize for anything related to Maya Moore's recruitment. if that's a prerequisite, then they will only play in tourney games. just my thoughts.
I spend a lot of time in Tenn. EVERYONE I've met there are decent, mostly honest, caring, forgiving and proud people. Most do not realize that the situation with Maya was blown out of proportion by a Dementia condition of Pat Summit, whose staff that always accepted Pats position on all subjects went along. Knowing this I believe most, if they knew, would offer some level of sorrow for what happened. I am sure no public apology will ever come from Tenn the University or the Sports Dept--they are proud people who never knew defeat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The whole concept that it's ok to play TN and it's Geno's fault for not making it happen.
And by extension, it's OK to smear someone without any consequences. You always hear from Vol fans about how classy PHS is. I never bought for a second, she was always a monster. But here is a chance for UT to prove me wrong and predictably they aren't interested.

Reaction Score
The demand for a public apology should include the NCAA tournament. If no apology, UConn should forfeit the game. There are principles involved here.

Are you nuts??? The UCONN Players would have worked very hard to get to the NCAA Tournament and contend for another National Championship and you want them to give that up and forfeit the game to Tennessee if they should meet. Crushing Tennessee in the tournament would be worth more then any apology.

Reaction Score
The whole concept that it's ok to play TN and it's Geno's fault for not making it happen.
Maybe I'm reading deficient--but I didn't see this , in his tabulation, as Geno's fault. If you are a WBB follower and especially if you are a Uconn fan you know where in the fault lies. And it's not Geno. If that was the message--I agree with you.

Reaction Score
Are you nuts??? The UCONN Players would have worked very hard to get to the NCAA Tournament and contend for another National Championship and you want them to give that up and forfeit the game to Tennessee if they should meet. Crushing Tennessee in the tournament would be worth more then any apology.
Beastlarius ---was just trying to get a rise out of Uconn fans---and they did. Most likely a Tn fan.

Reaction Score
UT needs to come clean with a PUBLIC apology. After all, the complaints were VERY public, and, unless the apology is also made public, for all involved in WCBB to see and understand, there shouldn't be any discussion regarding UT and UConn meeting in any regular season games, regardless of ESPN or any other media outlet offer...

From the beginning this was WRONG. The NCAA should not ever accept complaints that are not first discussed by the parties involved verbally---no complaint should ever be done anonymously . If you believe you or the game was offended then stand up and take full responsibility for your complaint --but UT or the SEC would not identify who made the charges---WRONG!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I could care a less if TN plays UCONN in regular season. Do I think it would be a media frenzy and good for the game? Yep. That being said, TN just needs to take care of business and keep building on defense and recruiting. We should be back to FFs this season and beyond.

Defense? Tenn needs to figure out how to score points in big games. Both Tenn (E8 game) and UConn (FF semis) held Maryland to 58 points. The difference was UConn scored 81 points in its game and Tenn managed to score only 48 points.

Reaction Score
You are more than likely right--nothing to be gained by the posting herein. But opinions/speculation are most common place today in everything. Then there is the possibility (remote as it may be) that Holly and or her staff reads these posting and Geno's staff read these positing (which they do) and feels which way the wind is blowing or get a means of getting out of untenable- stuck position-- and moves on towards games restoration. I don't think Uconn fans really miss the Tenn games, but with the limited competition gained within the AAC competition from mostly any place may be acceptable. It's mainly food for thought and opinion/speculation!! Isn't that a big part of what the Boneyard is about--allowing speculation (not nasty type) and Opinions.. and supporting Uconn WBB.

Yeah... I am sure we would have Tenn on schedule and look forward to the game each year if the unpleasantness of 9 years ago hadn't happened..... I think Tenn would be glad to play now, but not with the prerequisite apology, never..... so it is a stalemate, and just absolutely will not happen....

ESPN is the master puppeteer moving the strings here..... Obviously they would like it to happen, but it ain't happenin'

Reaction Score

VF9 - Yeah so true, and I think the majority here, if not all, know full well it isn't going to happen.... I am of the mind to forget it, and both teams just move forward, as I believe they both have.....

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time in Tenn. EVERYONE I've met there are decent, mostly honest, caring, forgiving and proud people. Most do not realize that the situation with Maya was blown out of proportion by a Dementia condition of Pat Summit, whose staff that always accepted Pats position on all subjects went along. Knowing this I believe most, if they knew, would offer some level of sorrow for what happened. I am sure no public apology will ever come from Tenn the University or the Sports Dept--they are proud people who never knew defeat.

Oh wow, you really think Pat's early onset began 6 years before she actually left her post? I seriously doubt that. Knowing Pat was and is known for always "doing the right thing" for her program, she would have stepped down much earlier if your belief was in fact true.

Reaction Score
When someone gets hurt deeply by the wrongdoing of another, they have the right to no longer interact with those who perpetuated the wrongdoing ... you can still forgive the opposing party regardless if you wish ... this does not mean that you must relate with them again ... Geno feels the Moore family were unjustifiably treated disparagingly, so much so that the hurt was ever so deep ... playing Tennessee without the apology for the wrong done to the Moore's sends a message that the game between UConn and Tenn is more important than the feelings of the Moore family - even after all these years ... we make choices as individuals as to what we will accept or not accept from another ...

Has Maya ever spoken on this issue? I'd be very interested to hear her take on this- from the perspective of the one person whose thoughts and feelings matter the most.

JS

Reaction Score
I rather agree, because I don't see what exactly would be the subject of the apology.

1. The only public accusation was that UConn arranged or assisted in scheduling a tour by Maya of the nearby ESPN facility, because she was interested in sports journalism. A nothing violation, arguably not a violation at all, but UConn accepted a secondary violation for it rather than argue. Secondary violations are no big deal, and it's often pointed out here that TN has more of them than UConn does. There was some confusion in the news accounts at the time whether the ESPN thing was reported by Tennessee or self-reported by UConn, but regardless, UConn accepted that it was a violation, so what's to apologize for?

2. Everything else coming out of official TN about Maya was vague. Ms Cronin just acknowledged that TN's problem was "in part" about Maya Moore. Pat Summitt dropped some innuendo about UConn to the media in response to a question about Bruce Pearl, but the innuendo didn't even mention Maya by name.

3. As far as the innuendo, it was wrong and it's still being carried out by certain of PHS's minions and acolytes. But they aren't official, and as far as PHS herself, well, that was what it was.

4. As far as all the "other" stuff TN filed with the NCAA, it went through proper channels and it failed. I don't see an apology as necessary for taking something to the proper forum for adjudication, even if the motivation and/or the substance are questionable. Yes, it was aggravating to a lot of people, including some who post here, but it at least had a rationale. TN played a weak hand and lost. No apology necessary, IMO, for playing it.

5. The really disgusting, apology-warranting stuff about Maya and her mom has come, persistently for years, out of a group of dedicated ignoramuses on the TN message boards, especially the Summitt. But that's not an official source. It's barely even a human source. The university doesn't control those boards, so how can it apologize for what's said there?

Doesn't mean thoughtful folks can't come up with some kind of peacemaking proposal, joint statement, whatever. Diplomats paper over far more intransigent problems.

Personally, I'm fine with just playing in the tournament, if it breaks that way, and don't care whether it does or doesn't. I don't like what TN did, don't respect it, and certainly loath the message board feculence. But grounds for an official TN apology haven't been identified.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Point of clarity; the real issue is NOT the list of little piss-ant violations filed y the SEC on behalf of UT. Kibitzergate, and all that. That was an annoyance, like the Vandy nonsense about the Mo'ne call. The real issue is the insinuation by Pat of far darker, awesomely awful actions by Geno in his recruitment of Maya, so profoundly shocking that she could not speak them publicly "for the good of the game" and "because she was too much of a lady" to sully her lips with their mention. She could only hint at them, but they were so awful that she could not bring herself to further associate herself with a coach/program that could commit such atrocities. Not only were the charges "unsubstantiated", as JS correctly posted, they weren't even "made up" or "supposed", as Nan posted; they were merely insinuated.. (If you can believe that Pat would not have gleefully fed Geno to the lions, had she had any real information about serious violations, you can believe just damned near anything!)

This, of course, left each and every Geno hater and UConn envier to fill in the blanks with whatever whacked-out scenario their fever dreams spewed out, and there have been and are some doozies, ranging from the Pink Elephant idiocy to massive bribery of Maya and her mom. The calumnies continue, and the tales continue to grow in the telling.

While Pat might (and the word is might) get a pass on all this on medical grounds, the people around her have no such defense, including Holly. Also note; Geno has not asked for an apology to HIM, but rather to Maya and her Mom, who would have had to be very dissolute characters to have been influenced by any of the wild-ass actions that Pat's insinuations have caused to be hypothesized. All that would be necessary is for Holly or the athletic department to issue a statement disavowing any and all claims of underhanded dealings in Maya's recruitment, and stating that they are sorry if any statement of theirs or Pat's cast doubt on the characters of Geno, Maya or Maya's mom. The fact that it ain't gonna happen does not mean that it would not be easy to do. Bottom line; UConn is doing much better without them than they are doing without UConn.

Well said Z.

My favorite part of the latest from Knoxville is Holly actually saying she and Summitt decided enough time had passed and it's okay to play UConn now. Oh thank you benevolent ones, great pardoners of sins. She sounds ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom