Tenn Gets a Top Guard in 2017 Class | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn Gets a Top Guard in 2017 Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did you ever hear of punctuation, sentence spacing, or capitalization? It'd make your post easier to read.
Idontknowwhatyoumeancanyouexplainyourself ???? (note punctuation)

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Ever since Dan Olson took over HG (2014?), he's been giving outrageous numbers of 5 star ratings/96-98 grade.

I believe a 5 star recruit should only be given to recruits who you feel COULD/have the potential be AA in college (generally 10-15 or so), and then anyone rated 98 and above should be a can't miss prospect (usually top 2 or 3 prospects or so depending on the year).

If you look back at like the 2010-2012 rankings, they tend to reflect that.

98 - Stewert, Jefferson (Stewert probably should've been a 99 like Griner)
17 Total 5 Star Recruits

98 - KML, Williams
11 total 5 Star

2010 - Chiney
15 total 5 Star

Thanks for this response. I thought it was strange to see so many 98s.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The 98 ranking from ESPN lost its significance in 2014 therefore your prior analysis is not consistent. For 2014 only 3 player in the class achieved a rating of 98. Mercedes, Diamond & Kaela. A year later ESPN changed ratings and raters and 21 players achieved a rating of 98. From 2014-2016 ESPN has maintained the number of players receiving a rating of 98 fixed at 21. If you want to opine that only 3 players deserved a 98 rating in 2013, you would essentially be undermining you argument because Mercedes and Diamond are Lady Vols.

Actually, my prior analysis stopped at 2012. I only looked at both programs in regards to those that have completed their eligibility. Therefore, my analysis is very consistent. We can discuss Mercedes and Diamond when they've completed their time at TN.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The OP said "A top guard". I would agree that being ranked in the top 10 constitutes landing "a top guard". Not THE top guard (as an example - Dangerfield - #2 or 3 in her class and THE top guard in 2016)... BTW Hope all is well! haven't seen you on here in a bit!

This was from an ESPN article. Someone who saw the last game between the 2 players felt like Hayes was the best player on the court that night. The same individual has had nothing but extremely high praise for Dangerfield. Only time will tell, but I look forward to seeing how both of these players blossom throughout their careers. The article is a bit misleading, because Hayes has only played for Riverdale for 2 years. She is currently in her 3rd year there.

Despite her bright future, Hayes has sometimes been lost in the shadow of former Blackman (Murfreesboro) star guard Crystal Dangerfield, a three-time Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year who is now a freshman at Connecticut. Blackman had beaten Riverdale seven straight times before Riverdale finally got revenge last year.

It happened March 1 in the Class 3A regional semifinals. Riverdale eliminated the two-time defending state champions 73-66. Dangerfield was "held" to 20 points while Hayes had the game of her life: 28 points, 12 assists and eight rebounds.

"[Dangerfield] came up to me after the game and hugged me," Hayes said. "She told me to 'finish it.' "

Hayes and the Warriors did just that, finishing the season on an eight-game win streak. The Warriors won their state quarterfinal game by 15 points, their semifinal by 22 and the championship by 32.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The 98 ranking from ESPN lost its significance in 2014 therefore your prior analysis is not consistent. For 2014 only 3 player in the class achieved a rating of 98. Mercedes, Diamond & Kaela. A year later ESPN changed ratings and raters and 21 players achieved a rating of 98. From 2014-2016 ESPN has maintained the number of players receiving a rating of 98 fixed at 21. If you want to opine that only 3 players deserved a 98 rating in 2013, you would essentially be undermining you argument because Mercedes and Diamond are Lady Vols.

Actually, ESPN changed its "raters," as it went to Dan Olson, when it had previously used the Prospects Nation people (and the Hoopgurlz guys before that).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actually, ESPN changed its "raters," as it went to Dan Olson, when it had previously used the Prospects Nation people (and the Hoopgurlz guys before that).
Agreed: "A year later ESPN changed ratings and raters". It was Chris Hansen who left ESPN for Prospects Nation in 2014.

Reaction Score
A post on UTENN's guard development program in the 21st century will be greatly appreciated.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
A post on UTENN's guard development program in the 21st century will be greatly appreciated.

Guards were included in the previous numbers. Development is impacted by what you start with. Some have much further to go than others. Here are the last 5 years.
Pat's not there any more, so no need to discuss guards from her era.

For the record, across this same span, UConn has had Moriah Jefferson (98 rating that would have excelled any where), KML (98 rating) that doesn't even start in the WNBA, Bria Hartley (96 rating) coming off the bench in WNBA, Kelly Farris (94 rating) contributing in the W, Lauren Englin (93 rating), Brianna Banks (94 rating)

SUMMARY - 8 guards over this span, with 6 who's careers were severely impacted by injuries. 2 with WNBA play. None rated higher than a 96 out of high school and only 2 of them (both injury riddled).

2009 - Taber Spani (96 rating). As a senior, her development was easy to see. The highlight for me was watching her pour over 30 points in over aTm, a team with lightening quick guards that specialized in defense. Taber's back was not about to allow her to play any longer.

Kamiko Williams (93 rating) - ranked 75 on ESPN site, went on to play a short stint in the WNBA. There were several guards rated much higher. She also endured an ACL tear during her time at TN and tore her knee up again in the WNBA. She was drafted #15 over all.

2010 - Meighan Simmons (95 rating) - Entered TN ranked #24 on ESPN and was drafted #26 and contributing in the WNBA today.
Lauren Avant - Major car accident prior to college and it killed her basketball career.

2011 - Ariel Massengale (96 rating) - Prior to her many concussions, she was named player of the month for WCBB her junior season. Concussions, not development, derailed her career.

2012 - Andraya Carter (95 rating) - a history of knee problems to the point she had to shut it down. Bad knees derailed her career.

2013 - Jannah Tucker - horrible incident and she's never recovered from it.
Jordan Reynolds - We can talk after the season

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not an expert, but I've heard that the 2018 class is loaded and much stronger than 2017. The 2017 group drops off after Walker, Westbrook, and Boothe. The 2018 group includes Nelson-Ododa, Collier, Smith, Williams, DaCosta, and Scott-Grayson.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She transferred to Villanova and sat out last year due to transfer rules. Hopefully we'll see her play this year. Wishing the best for her that she will have a successful career.
I will be sure to let everyone know how Jannah is doing this year. I'll be able to catch about 1/2 dozen Nova's women's games. Villanova also brings in a Kelly Jekot this year, Kelly generated interest from UCONN and actually visited early during the recruiting process.

Reaction Score
I will be sure to let everyone know how Jannah is doing this year. I'll be able to catch about 1/2 dozen Nova's women's games. Villanova also brings in a Kelly Jekot this year, Kelly generated interest from UCONN and actually visited early during the recruiting process.
Yeah will be good to hear... don't know anyone who knows half of Jannah's story who is not rooting for her with all their energy

Reaction Score
Guard Anastasia Hayes commits to Lady Vols

Interesting. They have bounced off the bottom.

But a 5'7" wing, Holly, seriously ... maybe Holly could sell snow to an Eskimo?
I always feel like i have the minority opinion on these things..... but as for recruiting, I think Holly has fared OK, despite what the LV faithful themselves think....

Proof in the pudding is to be seen... how staff develops her.... UT has gotten top 5 players nationally before..... Mercedes, Nared, DD..... and they have not tripped the Richter Scale....

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I'm not an expert, but I've heard that the 2018 class is loaded and much stronger than 2017. The 2017 group drops off after Walker, Westbrook, and Boothe. The 2018 group includes Nelson-Ododa, Collier, Smith, Williams, DaCosta, and Scott-Grayson.

I am going to respectfully disagree. These classes are the ones losing at fiba americas etc. I think there are no elite players in these classes but a lot of similar players throughout the rankings.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I am going to respectfully disagree. These classes are the ones losing at fiba americas etc. I think there are no elite players in these classes but a lot of similar players throughout the rankings.
Mike Flynn of Bluestar and Philly Belles agrees with @wallman on this saying I'm paraphrasing: There is no Olympic caliber guard or wing inclusive of the classes from 2016-2019 which would include Crystal Dangerfield Megan Walker and C. Williams. The post players in these classes have also not been stellar consistently getting outplay in international competition by post players from countries like Australia. Although a separate issue the coaching of USA basketball teams at the lower age groups has not been stellar and often making players that are as highly ranked in the class like DeCosta #3 look absolutely athletic but wild.

Reaction Score
Guards were included in the previous numbers. Development is impacted by what you start with. Some have much further to go than others. Here are the last 5 years.
Pat's not there any more, so no need to discuss guards from her era.

For the record, across this same span, UConn has had Moriah Jefferson (98 rating that would have excelled any where), KML (98 rating) that doesn't even start in the WNBA, Bria Hartley (96 rating) coming off the bench in WNBA, Kelly Farris (94 rating) contributing in the W, Lauren Englin (93 rating), Brianna Banks (94 rating)

SUMMARY - 8 guards over this span, with 6 who's careers were severely impacted by injuries. 2 with WNBA play. None rated higher than a 96 out of high school and only 2 of them (both injury riddled).

2009 - Taber Spani (96 rating). As a senior, her development was easy to see. The highlight for me was watching her pour over 30 points in over aTm, a team with lightening quick guards that specialized in defense. Taber's back was not about to allow her to play any longer.

Kamiko Williams (93 rating) - ranked 75 on ESPN site, went on to play a short stint in the WNBA. There were several guards rated much higher. She also endured an ACL tear during her time at TN and tore her knee up again in the WNBA. She was drafted #15 over all.

2010 - Meighan Simmons (95 rating) - Entered TN ranked #24 on ESPN and was drafted #26 and contributing in the WNBA today.
Lauren Avant - Major car accident prior to college and it killed her basketball career.

2011 - Ariel Massengale (96 rating) - Prior to her many concussions, she was named player of the month for WCBB her junior season. Concussions, not development, derailed her career.

2012 - Andraya Carter (95 rating) - a history of knee problems to the point she had to shut it down. Bad knees derailed her career.

2013 - Jannah Tucker - horrible incident and she's never recovered from it.
Jordan Reynolds - We can talk after the season

Thank you very much.

KML is a forward although she can handle the ball if necessary.
This is an interesting topic and if time permits, I will post in detail soon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks. You know much more about this than I do. What are your thoughts about the 2017 v. 2018 class?

I got the impression that some of the USA teams that lost did so because of an odd collection of talent, weak guard play, poor fundamentals, and lousy coaching. In addition, it seemed that a few players played up in age, which left the younger groups devoid of key talent.

Megan Walker won a gold and silver medal this past summer. I don't know how she feels about the silver, but I do know that Maya Moore would be royally pi$$ed if she had won only a silver medal.

If these kids are lacking something, that says to me that the top players really NEED to be coached up by Geno et al.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Jannah and Kelly, Harry is loading up on talent. Look for them to be at or near the top of the BE in a year or two.

Reaction Score
2018 is about 3 times as deep but the the 2017 class is stronger that what many believe IMO.
I think Walker, Dodson, Davis, Farley-Clark and Westbrook are the cream of the crop with Evans, Hayes, Morris, Carter and Coombs being close. Dodson and Coombs are very much underrated. Prospects Nation has them both rated fairly low for how good I believe they are but the rest of their rankings are pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom