Tenn Gets a Top Guard in 2017 Class | The Boneyard

Tenn Gets a Top Guard in 2017 Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The "wing" response is just a recruiting tactic to lure other recruits.

Don't forget my neice is a highly sought after softball player and her younger sister is already getting letters from volleyball programs.

She is an infielder who plays 2nd and short. They are trying. To lure another top player of the same position. While they maybe interchangeable parts it's very insightful on the words coaches use in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Until their players start improving during the course of their tenure, I don't care if Tennessee signs the top 4 players out of every class.

Holly has had success in recruiting and transfers---I agree that --Holly does not seem to make them better in her program.
I congratulated the Murfreeboro's Tn Recruit--she selected the Iconic Vols WBB program--that draws Tenn recruits, the Program's history--and don't look at it's results after Pat left the program.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wing or not, she is ranked 6th by PN and 9th by HG. That is a good pick-up no matter what position she is listed as playing.
Yes she's a good pick up for a flagging program. But really, if she'd been pursued by Geno do you think for a minute he'd tell a 5'7" guard she'd get time at the wing as a recruiting ploy? If Holly actually believes this obviously talented young lady is a good fit for her program at the 3 the UT is going to see further problems during conference play. Or maybe Holly is actually as bad of a coach as the UT poster's say. UT plays a double post. How is a 5'7" wing going to get passes around the long arms of the 2/3 zones that proliferate in the SEC? Traps are an essential part of the 2/3 and she'd be going up against trees. Also from what I've seen UT double post isn't a motion double post where Hayes might have some success on offense. On defense Hayes would get stomped as every SEC wing would take her inside or post her up. Good luck.

Reaction Score
great great day in LV country! i wouldn't get caught up with the word "wing." a small guard line up may be what TN is envisioning. she said very clearly that holly did not promise her a specific position. i think holly deserves credit for that too. she was honest.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes she's a good pick up for a flagging program. But really, if she'd been pursued by Geno do you think for a minute he'd tell a 5'7" guard she'd get time at the wing as a recruiting ploy? If Holly actually believes this obviously talented young lady is a good fit for her program at the 3 the UT is going to see further problems during conference play. Or maybe Holly is actually as bad of a coach as the UT poster's say. UT plays a double post. How is a 5'7" wing going to get passes around the long arms of the 2/3 zones that proliferate in the SEC? Traps are an essential part of the 2/3 and she'd be going up against trees. Also from what I've seen UT double post isn't a motion double post where Hayes might have some success on offense. On defense Hayes would get stomped as every SEC wing would take her inside or post her up. Good luck.

Well, the LV's haven't exactly been offensive juggernauts against 2/3 zones. They've been offensive, just not juggernauts.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There are about three more players I'd like Tennessee to get.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Until their players start improving during the course of their tenure, I don't care if Tennessee signs the top 4 players out of every class.

This is what I've found most puzzling about Tennessee's program, dating well back before Pat's departure. It seems like they've had countless players who were very promising freshmen getting considerable playing time but who ended up plateauing sometime between their freshman and sophomore years. Bashaara Graves is one that comes to mind at the moment. She was a beast as a freshman. But did she ever get better? So, so many just like her over the past 10 years or so.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I have started contributing on Volnation and man was it depressing over there for a while. The commitment has brought some fans back out into the daylight. I just hope she can score because having the players wasn't the problem last year. Although I do kind of wonder why what actual wings they are recruiting because they need some. They have Cooper as PG right (or she is injured or whatever mystery is going on there)? Then I am assuming Hayes would be the back up PG. They got some transfers in @ the post position. So really who is playing wing for them? Or who are they recruiting for that? I don't think Diamond stays the extra year and I believe the rest of their guards are largely unproven.

Reaction Score
great great day in LV country! i wouldn't get caught up with the word "wing." a small guard line up may be what TN is envisioning. she said very clearly that holly did not promise her a specific position. i think holly deserves credit for that too. she was honest.
As a Uconn Husky WBB fan I would like to see Tenn get a coach that does the program proud. I'm not sure Holly is doing justice to the memory of the program as it was. Holly has recruited and got some top transfers--players some (me) would have thought would be sitting in a final 4 the last 3 or so years. I don't think players are the answer for Tn. You obviously are a TN fan --am I wrong??

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
This is what I've found most puzzling about Tennessee's program, dating well back before Pat's departure. It seems like they've had countless players who were very promising freshmen getting considerable playing time but who ended up plateauing sometime between their freshman and sophomore years. Bashaara Graves is one that comes to mind at the moment. She was a beast as a freshman. But did she ever get better? So, so many just like her over the past 10 years or so.

I did a bit of research on this and instead of looking at the recruits ranking, I looked at the recruits high school GRADE. I also only did a comparison from the classes that were under Holly their entire career. You will note the biggest difference in the 2 programs and the success at the next level is that UConn had 3 players that entered the program out of high school with a 98 rating, while TN had 0 players with that rating. You will also note their success at the next level is very similar for those players that are rated below 98. (4 out of 8 players in the W and for TN there are 3 out of 7).

The theory holds true that the key to winning the big titles is to land recruits with 98 coming out of high school. When Baylor won the ship, they had a 99 player on the roster. For fun, I looked up Notre Dame. They have had no 98 players. Both Diggins and Loyd were 97.

UConn Summary 2010 thru 2012
98 ratings - 3 players - 2 start in the WNBA, 1 off the bench
97 ratings - 1 player - 1 WNBA off the bench
96 ratings - 2 players - 1 WNBA off the bench
95 ratings - 2 players - 1 WNBA starter
94 ratings - 3 players - 1 WNBA off the bench

TN Summary 2010 thru 2012
98 ratings - 0 players
97 ratings - 1 player - 1 WNBA bench player
96 ratings - 2 players - 1 WNBA bench player
95 ratings - 2 players - 0 (careers ended to injuries)
94 ratings - 2 players - 1 WNBA off the bench

2012 - UConn recruits were 98, 98, 97 ----> 98 WNBA Star. 98 WNBA rookie started, 97 solid contributer off the bench in WNBA
2012 - TN 97, 95, 94, 85 ----> 97 WNBA bench player. 95 ended career due to knee injuries, 94 ended career due to concussions, 85 signed overseas contract

2011 UConn - 98, 94, 94 ---->98 WNBA contributor off the bench, 94 transferred, 94 solid contributor off the bench
2011 TN - 96, 96, 94----> 96 to the WNBA, 96 ended career due to concussions, 94 WNBA bench player

2010 UConn - 96, 96, 95, 95, 93 ----> 96 transferred, 96 WNBA bench contributor, 95 WNBA starter, 95 transferred, 93 transferred
2010 TN - 95, 95 ---->95 WNBA contributor off the bench, 95 ended career due to injuries

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Last comment on this one...Anastasia Hayes is rated as a 98. I also noticed the top 21 players are all a 98. I recall hearing this 2017 class was possibly the deepest ever class in terms of elite level recruits. Do you all believe those ratings with this class? or has the rating scale been relaxed a bit? I haven't seen them play, so I have no idea as to the reality of the ratings with this latest class.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Last comment on this one...Anastasia Hayes is rated as a 98. I also noticed the top 21 players are all a 98. I recall hearing this 2017 class was possibly the deepest ever class in terms of elite level recruits. Do you all believe those ratings with this class? or has the rating scale been relaxed a bit? I haven't seen them play, so I have no idea as to the reality of the ratings with this latest class.

Where did you hear that. I heard the opposite and from my own eyes I have to agree with those who have told me that.

Reaction Score
Ever since Dan Olson took over HG (2014?), he's been giving outrageous numbers of 5 star ratings/96-98 grade.

I believe a 5 star recruit should only be given to recruits who you feel COULD/have the potential be AA in college (generally 10-15 or so), and then anyone rated 98 and above should be a can't miss prospect (usually top 2 or 3 prospects or so depending on the year).

If you look back at like the 2010-2012 rankings, they tend to reflect that.

98 - Stewert, Jefferson (Stewert probably should've been a 99 like Griner)
17 Total 5 Star Recruits

98 - KML, Williams
11 total 5 Star

2010 - Chiney
15 total 5 Star

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does #9 by position qualify as top guard?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Did you ever hear of punctuation, sentence spacing, or capitalization? It'd make your post easier to read.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The OP said "A top guard". I would agree that being ranked in the top 10 constitutes landing "a top guard". Not THE top guard (as an example - Dangerfield - #2 or 3 in her class and THE top guard in 2016)... BTW Hope all is well! haven't seen you on here in a bit!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
She is #9 overall #5 at the position. Prospects Nation has her rated # 6 overall and #3 at position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 98 ranking from ESPN lost its significance in 2014 therefore your prior analysis is not consistent. For 2014 only 3 player in the class achieved a rating of 98. Mercedes, Diamond & Kaela. A year later ESPN changed ratings and raters and 21 players achieved a rating of 98. From 2014-2016 ESPN has maintained the number of players receiving a rating of 98 fixed at 21. If you want to opine that only 3 players deserved a 98 rating in 2013, you would essentially be undermining you argument because Mercedes and Diamond are Lady Vols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom