TBS/CBS Halftime / Postgame Show… | The Boneyard

TBS/CBS Halftime / Postgame Show…

Reaction Score
I was astounded at how low energy Barkley and the rest of the crew were last night…. Kind of a buzz kill…

After witnessing one of the greatest runs to close out a game in NCAA Tourney history, someone on that panel made this incredibly insightful observation of how “UConn won without the best player on the floor.” Like UConn was filled with subpar talent but found a way to win LOL. Then they just all appeared to be disappointed UConn won. I get you wanted a better game but really?

As the years of gone on, it is becoming apparent that this crew needs to:

1) Watch more college basketball during the regular season.
2) Get more connected on the significance of what they are reporting on - and capture the moment for their viewers.
3) Maybe give the entire panel 5 hour energy shots before they go on air.

I was looking for better takes on our game this morning - found this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles...2024-saturdays-elite-eight-winners-and-losers Enjoy!

Reaction Score
Van Gundy is another guy that should stick to the NBA. Terrible college announcer.
It's amazing to me that CBS thinks that viewers want to see college basketball non-experts (Barkley, Van Gundy, etc.) more than competent/knowledgeable/strong communicators that know college basketball. The non-competence irks the super fans and do the "personalities" really pull in the casuals? Doubt it.

Reaction Score
Love Chuck and Kenny on the NBA show, but they really don’t seem too interested in college ball.
I could not agree more.

Kenny (who I used to like) seemed bored last night. He sort of sits there like he‘s at a family reunion he doesn’t want to be at.

Chuck has a busy schedule and it shows. Looked bored and if I have to hear him thank CBS/TBS for having him to call on sports “2nd best event” while he reminds us of the fact he played in the Olympics, one more time - I’m turning it off.

Reaction Score
Except they got rid of him.
He went viral for trying to talk over Kevin Harlan, during a game ending play in last years playoffs. He sucks and there’s a reason Shaq and Dwight Howard didn’t wanna play for him. Notice the Heat won the Heat won the championship when they axed him.

Reaction Score
Barkley in particularlar, he just amazes me. His takes on college basketball are just so consistently wrong, and I never get the impression that he even watches any games before the tournament (with the possible exception of the SEC tournament). Why does CBS continue to roll him out there? I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Barkley doesn't want us to win and is always wrong. He's there more for entertainment. Kellogg's a pro, has been there since the 1990s and I always enjoy his presence there.
I think you guys are reading in to some of these TV personalities a little too much...by all accounts chuck was incredibly complementary of our past teams (even if he picks against them) and there's even stories of him being very friendly and buying rounds for uconn fans at the '14(?) NC

Reaction Score
The announcers for the game were way worse. Was it Van Gundy or the other guy that kept harping on shooting percentages in the first half. He wouldn't stop.
Van Gundy was the designated Illini cheerleader for that broadcast team yesterday. He would not shut up about suggesting ways for IL to attack UConn. He was as obnoxious as any commentator there has been on broadcast teams covering Husky games this year. Even Bill Walton or Donny would have been so much better to listen to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were a bit more complimentary in the post game. Even Chuck was saying "That is... total domination!"
Another factoid to chew on: the team has led in all four tournament games it played this year by at least 30 points!

Thanks for posting this as I missed it.

Reaction Score
I dunno, Kenny Smith said the way we play is going to be remembered and forever associated with us, akin to K's Duke style or Roy Williams' UNC style. That's high praise from a Carolia guy.

I dunno, Kenny Smith said the way we play is going to be remembered and forever associated with us, akin to K's Duke style or Roy Williams' UNC style. That's high praise from a Carolia guy.
Yeah, I suppose but I found it a bit like Kenny just trying to be different.

While I like those comments, felt too broad of a topic, too reflective for the short segment. If we win the Championship, think that would be a great topic.

Last night, maybe more of a recount of what they witnessed which was perhaps the best 5 minutes of basketball ever played?

Reaction Score
I was astounded at how low energy Barkley and the rest of the crew were last night…. Kind of a buzz kill…

After witnessing one of the greatest runs to close out a game in NCAA Tourney history, someone on that panel made this incredibly insightful observation of how “UConn won without the best player on the floor.” Like UConn was filled with subpar talent but found a way to win LOL. Then they just all appeared to be disappointed UConn won. I get you wanted a better game but really?

2) Get more connected on the significance of what they are reporting on - and capture the moment for their viewers.

I was looking for better takes on our game this morning - found this article https://bleacherreport.com/articles...2024-saturdays-elite-eight-winners-and-losers Enjoy!
Barkley picked Illinois to win it all

Reaction Score
Time to wipe out these guys - keep Wright and maybe Kellogg. The other two guys (you know who I'm talking about) are just painful to listen to.
Wright is good. Ernie Johnson as the host is fine.

Kellogg has this old-school, squeaky-clean vibe that I find very uninteresting and cliche, but whatever.

The other two guys aren't nearly entertaining enough to make up for their lack of knowledge.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My favorite part was Barkley and Smith at halftime talking about how the Illini should be winning. My 5 year old son responded to the TV "these guys do not know what they are talking about." He then proceeded to tell my wife and daughter anytime Barkley and Smith came on the screen "do not listen to those guys they do not know what they are talking about." I just sat back laughing and sipping my Miller Lite mojo juice.

Reaction Score

They’d rather be golfing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom