Talk me down... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Talk me down...

Reaction Score
That whole situation was a cluster. You demote your OC, promote a new coach to OC, and replace your injured QB with a true freshman while installing a new offense.

Right then and there I'm sure Benedict began having doubts.

Diaco should have let Verducci coach out the string with Anderson at QB, instead he gave us that BS about Williams going into his office talking about taking the team to the next level.

It was overall next level stupidity is what I think he meant.

I agree with this by the way. I don't think Benedict finished the season willing to bring him back and then lost faith in him because he turned down an OC recommendation. I think Benedict finished the season knowing he had to get rid of him, but not having a clue as to how he was going to make it worth financially.

Then, whether it was donors, the Fenway game revenue boost, and/or the surprise that he could get an experienced coach at the base salary level at which he got Edsall, he put together the financial wherewithal to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Honest question. What from last season makes you believe in Williams? We're there any positives? I am hoping he improves dramatically but can't find anything in last years performance that gives me hope.

Hope?

He is probably 18 years old and faced a daunting task in the worst set of circumstances. If he is persistent and has any character depth, you will find a far different kid in the spring. That is the hope. Nothing wrong with him being tossed in the fire ... because I do not think damaging his ego - given the arc of the transition - is our biggest issue.

Reaction Score
Hope?

He is probably 18 years old and faced a daunting task in the worst set of circumstances. If he is persistent and has any character depth, you will find a far different kid in the spring. That is the hope. Nothing wrong with him being tossed in the fire ... because I do not think damaging his ego - given the arc of the transition - is our biggest issue.

I'm less willing to write off Williams from what I saw at the end of last season than I was willing to write off Diaco for putting him in that sport.

That having been said, while I'm guessing we find a way to fill next year's starting QB position from Lashlee's rolodex, I would be much, much more confident seeing BS out there against Holy Cross than Williams. He just was not ready, and putting him in a very different offense in the fall is not likely to speed up the process.

Reaction Score
In a 4-3-3, I would guess that Luke and Stapleton become the 2 ends, Ormsby either plays short yardage at DE and/or gets moved to DT, and Levenberry, Joseph and Diggs are at LB. That increases our front 7 speed, but it's still not enough. Unless we haven't seen him yet, neither P nor Diaco recruited the Osunde, Cody Brown, Campbell, Trevardo undersized weakside DEs that Edsall always used to have a pass rush.

If I was recruiting the grad transfer/JUCO market to plug a few holes (and we both know Edsall isn't a huge fan of that but did do it in rare instances), order of priority would be:

1. A QB, unless we can get Shirreffs back on the field, in which case this slides to #2.

2. A speedrusher DE; and

3. One more OT.

4-3-3. LOL you're thinking of soccer again.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just time, but I believe in Williams. He was a true freshman who was forced to step in when he wasn't ready.
I like the attitude. Some see things sad they are and ask "Why?" You dream things that might be and ask "Why not?"

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I agree. But he and Stape at DE are as close as we can come with the current roster. And are both much faster than Cole Ormsby, much less Sheridan Lawley.
Me thinks Garson gets moved to DE. He is quick and strong. That 6'7" frame can bat down some balls too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hate when people say stuff like this.

Me too, but mostly because the phrase is 'voice of reason' not voice of reality.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Me too, but mostly because the phrase is 'voice of reason' not voice of reality.

Reality and reason have a lot in common...mostly that they both start with "rea".

Reaction Score
I agree. But he and Stape at DE are as close as we can come with the current roster. And are both much faster than Cole Ormsby, much less Sheridan Lawley.

I hope we see a lot of Cam and Luke on the field at the same time no matter what scheme we run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom