Talk me down... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Talk me down...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're right that there are certain things which are based on certain people's "perspective" but there are others that were "facts" that can't be debated (appreciating that there are those in today's world who no longer consider basic facts to be considered as such).

We lost two 3 year starters from our OL. We lost our best safety in Obi and we also graduated our two starting corners. These are indisputable realities. If Donovan Williams ends up being our only option at QB that means we've got a guy who completed less than 50% of his passes for less than 4 yards per attempt and a QB rating of 71.7.

Of course, there are new guys who might step up and I sure hope they do. It's an unknown.

I love your enthusiasm and you are welcome to consider your "reality" in any way you want to. For my part, I try to manage my expectations so I don't end up being so bitterly disappointed. If we go 10-2, I'd be astonished / thrilled. 2-10 and I'd be disappointed but not shocked.

It's also reality that when Drew Bledsoe got hurt in 2001, the Patriots' season was obviously over since they had to replace him with a guy who had never played, was a 6th round draft pick, and platooned with a freshman Drew Henson at Michigan.

These are young people. They don't stay the same year to year. Donovan Williams could come out next year and look like Deshaun Watson. Summers is back as our top corner. The young safeties should be ready next year so he can move to his natural position. Diaco recruited a lot of size in the secondary. College football is always unknown.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's also reality that when Drew Bledsoe got hurt in 2001, the Patriots' season was obviously over since they had to replace him with a guy who had never played, was a 6th round draft pick, and platooned with a freshman Drew Henson at Michigan.

These are young people. They don't stay the same year to year. Donovan Williams could come out next year and look like Deshaun Watson. Summers is back as our top corner. The young safeties should be ready next year so he can move to his natural position. Diaco recruited a lot of size in the secondary. College football is always unknown.

To add to this, we lose 2 from our OL but we get an important one back (Hopkins). We also return a bunch with experience like Rutherford and Vechery, etc., as well as 2 youngsters who redshirted already if I'm not mistaken (Leone, DeGeorge).

Furthermore, we have absolutely no idea how the new philosophy suits our players! That is ALSO a fact, since we don't even have our OLINE coach in place yet. That's why this talk of "reality" in mid-January is somewhat ridiculous...

Reaction Score
I don't ageee that there are massive holes in the secondary. I thought Robinson generally looked fine when he played and you have former Vandy starter Bell and Summers joining him at corner. McCallister played better as the year went on so in my mind there is one obvious hole at the other safety spot. Hahn, Terry and Watkins are pretty good options there.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't ageee that there are massive holes in the secondary. I thought Robinson generally looked fine when he played and you have former Vandy starter Bell and Summers joining him at corner. McCallister played better as the year went on so in my mind there is one obvious hole at the other safety spot. Hahn, Terry and Watkins are pretty good options there.

All of this, on top of the "reality" that we may be moving to a 3-3-5 system, and how that might help us mask the loss of someone like Obi. So many unknowns here still...

Reaction Score
To add to this, we lose 2 from our OL but we get an important one back (Hopkins). We also return a bunch with experience like Rutherford and Vechery, etc., as well as 2 youngsters who redshirted already if I'm not mistaken (Leone, DeGeorge).

Furthermore, we have absolutely no idea how the new philosophy suits our players! That is ALSO a fact, since we don't even have our OLINE coach in place yet. That's why this talk of "reality" in mid-January is somewhat ridiculous...
I bet trying to actually win games will help soothe with the new philosophy!!!!!!GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Secondary wasn't as bad as they looked but safety play needs much improvement. When you can't generate any pressure, it kills your secondary.

I am struggling to think of who is going to emerge as a speed rusher.

Reaction Score
You're right that there are certain things which are based on certain people's "perspective" but there are others that were "facts" that can't be debated (appreciating that there are those in today's world who no longer consider basic facts to be considered as such).

We lost two 3 year starters from our OL. We lost our best safety in Obi and we also graduated our two starting corners. These are indisputable realities. If Donovan Williams ends up being our only option at QB that means we've got a guy who completed less than 50% of his passes for less than 4 yards per attempt and a QB rating of 71.7.

Of course, there are new guys who might step up and I sure hope they do. It's an unknown.

I love your enthusiasm and you are welcome to consider your "reality" in any way you want to. For my part, I try to manage my expectations so I don't end up being so bitterly disappointed. If we go 10-2, I'd be astonished / thrilled. 2-10 and I'd be disappointed but not shocked.

Look, obviously we need a QB. But it's otherwise not as bad as you imply.

On the OL, we return 5 guys who have been starters at various times. Yes, we lose Thor, but Levy was in and out of the starting line up and never impressed anyone. I would have expected better OL play this year even without a coaching change.

On specials, a punter is a punter and the one we lost was fine but not an All American. And at kicker, while Puyol developed well we know Tarbutt basically kicked him equally in the lead up to the 16 season because he started the year as the long kicker. We may have a step back at both positions, but it shouldn't be a panic.

The DB situation is certainly iffy, but if we want we can start two Corners who have been good starters in the transfer Bell and Summers, and in college football you do lose players every year. We have Robinson, Watkins and McAllister who have all played plenty, and a bunch of young pups who may help.

Lashlee's system goes nowhere without a QB who can run it. If we go into the season with a QB who I think can be an average AAC performer, I will be optimistic going into the season. But we don't know yet that such will be the case. If we are lining up on opening day with Williams, I will be rooting for the young man but I don't see how anyone can be confident.

Reaction Score
Secondary wasn't as bad as they looked but safety play needs much improvement. When you can't generate any pressure, it kills your secondary.

I am struggling to think of who is going to emerge as a speed rusher.

In a 4-3-3, I would guess that Luke and Stapleton become the 2 ends, Ormsby either plays short yardage at DE and/or gets moved to DT, and Levenberry, Joseph and Diggs are at LB. That increases our front 7 speed, but it's still not enough. Unless we haven't seen him yet, neither P nor Diaco recruited the Osunde, Cody Brown, Campbell, Trevardo undersized weakside DEs that Edsall always used to have a pass rush.

If I was recruiting the grad transfer/JUCO market to plug a few holes (and we both know Edsall isn't a huge fan of that but did do it in rare instances), order of priority would be:

1. A QB, unless we can get Shirreffs back on the field, in which case this slides to #2.

2. A speedrusher DE; and

3. One more OT.

Reaction Score
In a 4-3-3, I would guess that Luke and Stapleton become the 2 ends, Ormsby either plays short yardage at DE and/or gets moved to DT, and Levenberry, Joseph and Diggs are at LB. That increases our front 7 speed, but it's still not enough. Unless we haven't seen him yet, neither P nor Diaco recruited the Osunde, Cody Brown, Campbell, Trevardo undersized weakside DEs that Edsall always used to have a pass rush.

If I was recruiting the grad transfer/JUCO market to plug a few holes (and we both know Edsall isn't a huge fan of that but did do it in rare instances), order of priority would be:

1. A QB, unless we can get Shirreffs back on the field, in which case this slides to #2.

2. A speedrusher DE; and

3. One more OT.
BL you are missing a player with the 4-3-3...as for WDE I think Carrazola can be the kid of difference maker you say isn't on the roster. He just needs to focus on rushing the QB and not dropping back into pass coverage.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Look, obviously we need a QB. But it's otherwise not as bad as you imply.

On the OL, we return 5 guys who have been starters at various times. Yes, we lose Thor, but Levy was in and out of the starting line up and never impressed anyone. I would have expected better OL play this year even without a coaching change.

On specials, a punter is a punter and the one we lost was fine but not an All American. And at kicker, while Puyol developed well we know Tarbutt basically kicked him equally in the lead up to the 16 season because he started the year as the long kicker. We may have a step back at both positions, but it shouldn't be a panic.

The DB situation is certainly iffy, but if we want we can start two Corners who have been good starters in the transfer Bell and Summers, and in college football you do lose players every year. We have Robinson, Watkins and McAllister who have all played plenty, and a bunch of young pups who may help.

Lashlee's system goes nowhere without a QB who can run it. If we go into the season with a QB who I think can be an average AAC performer, I will be optimistic going into the season. But we don't know yet that such will be the case. If we are lining up on opening day with Williams, I will be rooting for the young man but I don't see how anyone can be confident.

From what I have read...Lashlee's system is not that complicated. I read that Auburn ran only 5 plays or so. Hopefully that means it shouldn't be hard for the Qb to quickly get acclimated.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
BL you are missing a player with the 4-3-3...as for WDE I think Carrazola can be the kid of difference maker you say isn't on the roster. He just needs to focus on rushing the QB and not dropping back into pass coverage.

He doesn't have the speed as a rusher. High effort player who can set the edge and who's intensity is contagious.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
He doesn't have the speed as a rusher. High effort player who can set the edge and who's intensity is contagious.

I disagree, while he is no trevardo williams he has enough speed to get there i honestly dont believe they were tought pass rushing technique or were told not to take risks and let the back end of the defense make the plays. i think he is primed to have a big year

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
From what I have read...Lashlee's system is not that complicated. I read that Auburn ran only 5 plays or so. Hopefully that means it shouldn't be hard for the Qb to quickly get acclimated.

yup I posted all of their game tape earlier, its the same handful of plays but they are run in mult. formations and they are almost like the triple option in the sense that it has different people you can get the ball to in the same play.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just time, but I believe in Williams. He was a true freshman who was forced to step in when he wasn't ready.

Reaction Score

I don't think we know what a lot of our players are capable of. Let's ask them to do some things, give them time and training to prepare and then watch them compete. What they have been asked to do is not always an accurate reflection of what they are able to do.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just time, but I believe in Williams. He was a true freshman who was forced to step in when he wasn't ready.

Honest question. What from last season makes you believe in Williams? We're there any positives? I am hoping he improves dramatically but can't find anything in last years performance that gives me hope.

Reaction Score

I agree he wasn't ready but his decision making is what bothered me the most.

From just dumping it of to a back on a check down to throwing it away, nothing seemed natural. Even when he was deciding to run or not, he seemed very unsure. Again, probably just not ready.

In a spread QB/read, run first offense, we will need a QB that has natural instincts to go with the athleticism.

Haven't seen enough of him but, from what I've seen, I'm not sure he's instinctual in terms of football IQ. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I agree he wasn't ready but his decision making is what bothered me the most.

From just dumping it of to a back on a check down to throwing it away, nothing seemed natural. Even when he was deciding to run or not, he seemed very unsure. Again, probably just not ready.

In a spread QB/read, run first offense, we will need a QB that has natural instincts to go with the athleticism.

Haven't seen enough of him but, from what I've seen, I'm not sure he's instinctual in terms of football IQ. I hope I'm wrong.
That whole situation was a cluster. You demote your OC, promote a new coach to OC, and replace your injured QB with a true freshman while installing a new offense.

Right then and there I'm sure Benedict began having doubts.

Diaco should have let Verducci coach out the string with Anderson at QB, instead he gave us that BS about Williams going into his office talking about taking the team to the next level.

It was overall next level stupidity is what I think he meant.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That whole situation was a cluster. You demote your OC, promote a new coach to OC, and replace your injured QB with a true freshman while installing a new offense.

Right then and there I'm sure Benedict began having doubts.

Diaco should have let Verducci coach out the string with Anderson at QB, instead he gave us that BS about Williams going into his office talking about taking the team to the next level.

It was overall next level stupidity is what I think he meant.

I'm pretty sure Benedict started having doubts during the Maine game....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom