Talk about Rutty being more attractive to the ACC right now is bull***t | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Talk about Rutty being more attractive to the ACC right now is bull***t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don Imus got fired for a comment like that. And let's not deceive ourselves. RU will have a raucously full stadium at kickoff when the TV cameras come on. We have never come close to that in all our years at the Rent. Don't think that opening scene isn't factored into a conference's perception of your program.

I think it makes a small difference, maybe not a decisive one but it makes a difference.

There is no reason why we couldn't couldn't/shouldn't have the same atmosphere. We can rave about our tailgate scene all we want, but when we can't get people in the stadium on time it just makes us look half assed and like we totally miss the point.

I know some of the tailgate aficionados will take umbrage, but I don't see why you can't have a kickass tailgate and get into the stadium 15 minutes before kickoff, like nearly every other school that has great tailgating.

Reaction Score
We can rave about our tailgate scene all we want, but when we can't get people in the stadium on time it just makes us look half assed and like we totally miss the point.

Unfortunately, for the majority of the people who attend the games this is the reality... It is a social event with a football game thrown in...

I keep hoping that fans who are actually there for the FB game would begin to outnumber the people there for the party, but it doesn't seem to be happening... Yet...

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, for the majority of the people who attend the games this is the reality... It is a social event with a football game thrown in...

I keep hoping that fans who are actually there for the FB game would begin to outnumber the people there for the party, but it doesn't seem to be happening... Yet...

I can think of three games off the top of my head where we had a great football atmosphere:
Usf 07 they were #10 at the time I think
Baylor 08
Wvu 08 we were #25 at the time

Reaction Score
I can think of three games off the top of my head where we had a great football atmosphere:
Baylor 08
Thursday night win over Pitt (forget the year, think it was '04 or '05). Palio could barely get a play off it was so loud.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In regards to that... The Rutgers @Arkansas game drew a 0.9 on ESPNU in the NYC area... which is the highest rated CFB game in ESPNU history in the NYC DMA... Similarly RU has been a part of the top rated games in the NYC DMA on ESPN and ESPN2... So it can now be said that RU now possesses the highest ratings for a CFB game (multiple such ganes at that) on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU out of ALL D1a CFB teams in the NYC DMA...

I would consider that as "delivering" the NYC market... at least delivering it better then any other CFB team in the country...

BTW wear black to the RU-UConn game!!! it should be a sell-out at 53K (10-12K students)!!! :)

In terms of actual viewing audience, what exactly does a 0.9 in the NYC area mean? Is it a higher number than the PBS broadcast of Adrea Bocelli this past Saturday evening? How does it stack up in comparison to Sabado Gigante?

We have quite a self loathing fan base as somehow Rutty beating Louisville six year ago is still relevant and their win over an Arkansas team that could not come within 50 points of Bama and could not even beat a Sun Belt team is somehow of greater quality than any win we've had (obviously nobody remembers when we spanked South Carolina a few short years ago).

If you look at what we've done in football vs what they've done since we joined the BE only a fool would argue that they've accomplished more. They do seem to surpass us in glitter (their chrome helmets are a perfect example) but an overall view would place the two schools as being basically equal in football (and this is by far their best comparison to us in athletics). I highly doubt that any decisions will be made on what appears to be hip at the moment and I don't believe that any decision will be made soon nor will it be made without a thorough look at the entirety of all prospective candidates.

They want to talk about two wins, the number of stars recruited and the amount of wood they have chopped and somehow most of our fan base sees this as them accomplishing many things that we could not. If the situation were reversed our fan base would be crying about how they have two conference trophies and a BCS bowl appearance in less than half the time as a member of the football conference. Yes, we are nothing great at the moment but we have no reason to feel inferior to any current member of the BE in anything.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is the champions of the offseason and choppin' wood.

Reaction Score
Baylor 08
I don't disagree.. However, it is the exception and not the norm... When we've had, what maybe 60 games at the rent, and we can come up with 6 or 7 with a great atmosphere that's not exactly inspiring...

When I'm home I go to as many games as I can, but I still see more people there for the party and not the game... And I don't believe that is a reflection on the people that visit this board, but we make up a tiny % of the people who go to the games. When I used to go with a bunch of people, they couldn't for the life of them understand why I wanted to be in our seats 10 minutes before kickoff... Hell, I think they were socializing under the scoreboard 95% of the time...

It will come, hopefully, but it will require a shift in the mentality of the sports fans in CT. That's not something I'm holding my breath over.

Reaction Score
This is the silliest thread I've read here in a long time. I never heard anyone say (outside of a Rutgers fan) that this past weekend makes them look more attractive than us. Anyone that thinks the results of a week of football have anything to do with these changes isn't worth listening too. Maybe Rutgers is more attractive than UConn, maybe it isn't. It all depends on the viewer and what they're looking for, and I'm pretty sure nobody on this message board in on the ACC, B1G or B12's expansion committee.

Personally I don't think the ACC will want either of us b/c we're fairly redundant in their footprint. They think between Cuse and BC they have the northeast corridor locked up already, which is indicative of their terrible decision making abilities and part of the reason they've only fallen further behind the top 4 conferences over the last decade.

Reaction Score
UNC and KU would prefer to be more well rounded and not merely "basketball first". Unfortunately in reality, your comparison doesn't support your argument.
We may just have to agree to disagree. What they may prefer and what is are different things. UNC, KU and to a lesser degree UK have all made attempts to be "more well rounded". To date however they remain BB dominant, same as UConn. Hell, even Bama makes noise about being more balanced. They are not. As I said earlier 25 years from now who knows, for the next 10 years not likely.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This is the silliest thread I've read here in a long time. I never heard anyone say (outside of a Rutgers fan) that this past weekend makes them look more attractive than us. Anyone that thinks the results of a week of football have anything to do with these changes isn't worth listening too. Maybe Rutgers is more attractive than UConn, maybe it isn't. It all depends on the viewer and what they're looking for, and I'm pretty sure nobody on this message board in on the ACC, B1G or B12's expansion committee.

Personally I don't think the ACC will want either of us b/c we're fairly redundant in their footprint. They think between Cuse and BC they have the northeast corridor locked up already, which is indicative of their terrible decision making abilities and part of the reason they've only fallen further behind the top 4 conferences over the last decade.

I wouldn't have created the thread if I hadn't seen multiple references from multiple people who were crying about how the sky was falling and Rutgers was beating Arkansas and I think one person even said they threw up in their mouth just thinking about it? I completely agree with your 2nd paragraph. I don't think anyone gets added to the ACC in the near or medium term future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom