Talk about Rutty being more attractive to the ACC right now is bull***t | The Boneyard

Talk about Rutty being more attractive to the ACC right now is bull***t

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
This may belong in the Realignment board but it is all football related.

I hear some people bitching and moaning about how the timing couldn't be worse with our losing to a MAC team and Rutgers going into SEC country and taking down Arkansas as if the ACC has their hand on a phone right now and is deciding who they are going to call to invite to join the conference.

This is bull***t.

Firstly, as Wetzel and others have noted, the ACC now has 14 football playing members plus Notre Dame. They have no need to bring in just one more program. That would only succeed in giving them an unbalanced schedule in football which no conference would want. With Notre Dame, I highly doubt they go to 16 plus ND.

Secondly, no conference (besides the Big East it seems) invites new members based on the results of one season let alone 1/6 of a season. Rutgers has plenty of time to implode and I think that they will. I highly doubt that they end the year ranked.

So please contain the panic (I know it's hard) thinking that Rutgers is somehow going to be a golden ticket out of Dodge and that we're going to be stuck holding a bag of crap. I have a sneaking suspicion that both of us will be holding said bag of crap for years to come.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Navy are two out of three programs that have been playing at the highest level the longest. Army is the other. We're trying to get into a club of schools that have had top-tier athletic departments for much longer than we have. We have no room to complain about our success so far.

Reaction Score
My completely worthless point of view: We are the new kid on the block. We come from an area with a "limited" D1 recruiting base. Are there states around that we can tap? Sure New York, New Jersey, Penn and Maryland are all fertile areas, but most of the talent goes elsewhere. We need to sell our school and sell it hard. We don't have a season with more than nine wins. How many wins vs top 25 teams do we have? 1 maybe 2? We have more championships than Rutgers. Winning right this second has little to do with what they are looking at. They are looking at the long term. How successfull will we be 10, 20 years down the road. How many tv sets do we bring and academics. It is a tough time for us, but Rutgers isn't a step above us I think we are on the same footing and as a package deal I think both schools bring alot to anyone.

The important thing is us as fans need to go out every Saturday and support these kids like we were a top 25 team and the rest will fall into place. I'm not a fan of Paul P, Deleon, Brown or whoever else is on the staff. These guys do this as a job. The kids are here giving themselves for an education and a future. They will play hard for whoever is at the helm and for us as fans. They are huskies and that's who I root for. Losses sting and it's not the end of the world, but we need to show them we are still here.

Reaction Score
My completely worthless point of view: We are the new kid on the block. We come from an area with a "limited" D1 recruiting base. Are there states around that we can tap? Sure New York, New Jersey, Penn and Maryland are all fertile areas, but most of the talent goes elsewhere. We need to sell our school and sell it hard. We don't have a season with more than nine wins. How many wins vs top 25 teams do we have? 1 maybe 2? We have more championships than Rutgers. Winning right this second has little to do with what they are looking at. They are looking at the long term. How successfull will we be 10, 20 years down the road. How many tv sets do we bring and academics. It is a tough time for us, but Rutgers isn't a step above us I think we are on the same footing and as a package deal I think both schools bring alot to anyone.

The important thing is us as fans need to go out every Saturday and support these kids like we were a top 25 team and the rest will fall into place. I'm not a fan of Paul P, Deleon, Brown or whoever else is on the staff. These guys do this as a job. The kids are here giving themselves for an education and a future. They will play hard for whoever is at the helm and for us as fans. They are huskies and that's who I root for. Losses sting and it's not the end of the world, but we need to show them we are still here.

UConn athletics is more than just football.

Reaction Score
If on the field results weighed in to what the ACC wsa looking for, Syracuse would not have gotten the invite. Besides, we're going to the B12 with RU, UL, and USF, I read it on Twitter. Announcement on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
3 things:

1) u mad bro?

2) stop stealing my Tuesday line, Thursday is the new Tuesday

3) Rutgers delivers the NYC market!!

just kidding

Chasing the NYC market is like a dog chasing its own tale.

Not much difference in the college football marketplace in NYC and Beirut. Both places really don't give a crap about college football. And given that you can watch anything anywhere (unless its on ESPN 3 or NFL Network) nowadays, the "expat" LSU or USC fan isn't going to give a crap about watching the local teams.

Reaction Score
But it's the one that matters most.

When it comes to the BE, I'm really starting to question this line of thinking.

UConn - NC St in bball will probably have a bigger national rating than the football game.

Reaction Score
No one delivers the NYC market. You can only have a portion of it. It's a shmorgishbord of alumnus from thousands of different schools. People move out and in like people change underwear. Well I hope people change underwear.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So please contain the panic (I know it's hard) thinking that Rutgers is somehow going to be a golden ticket out of Dodge and that we're going to be stuck holding a bag of crap. .

That is some serious metaphor mixing! Valid point though.

Reaction Score
If conferences picked up teams just because they were in a good market and were having good seasons the Big East would have picked up Houston and SMU by now.... Oh wait....

At least we can agree that the ACC doesn't pick teams the way the Big East does. They took Pitt and SU for christ sakes.

Reaction Score
But it's the one that matters most.
The sport that matters most for UConn is MBB. Just like UK, Duke, NC...etc. It is the sport that made our athletic reputation. Don't give me the "potential" argument. If MBB is not the top sport for the next ten years we are in trouble. There is no way we have a ghost of a chance of attaining the respect we have in BB with our football program during that period. 25 years from now who knows, but for the next decade if MBB falls behind FB in prestiege it will be because MBB has fallen badly not because FB has become a regular top 20 program.

Reaction Score
Well, the way you think it ought to be, and the way it really is are two different things. And thank god for that.

The sport that matters most for UConn is MBB. Just like UK, Duke, NC...etc. It is the sport that made our athletic reputation. Don't give me the "potential" argument. If MBB is not the top sport for the next ten years we are in trouble. There is no way we have a ghost of a chance of attaining the respect we have in BB with our football program during that period. 25 years from now who knows, but for the next decade if MBB falls behind FB in prestiege it will be because MBB has fallen badly not because FB has become a regular top 20 program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We need a marketable FB program. One that when lined up against another BCS team says, "We could put this on TV and people will watch." While Pitt and Syracuse might suck, A Cuse/FSU game would probably be on national TV if one is any good. While Duke/FSU would not.

Right now, we are in that "not" category and we need to play our way out.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Well, the way you think it ought to be, and the way it really is are two different things. And thank god for that.
Agreed. The post makes no sense. Think of UCLA led by Wooden. MBB of near-mythical stature. Bruins FB a top 20 dweller at the same time trumps even that mighty MBB program for prestige. Will UConn FB become a top 20 dweller? Dunno, I hope so, and I believe we at least have the POTENTIAL.

Reaction Score
Obviously one of us has an incorrect view of UConn's position in the college sports world. I'll leave it to each reader to decide for himself. I just think we are more like UK, UNC, KU..etc. than we are like USC, Bama, Neb..etc.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
No one delivers the NYC market. You can only have a portion of it. It's a shmorgishbord of alumnus from thousands of different schools. People move out and in like people change underwear. Well I hope people change underwear.

In regards to that... The Rutgers @Arkansas game drew a 0.9 on ESPNU in the NYC area... which is the highest rated CFB game in ESPNU history in the NYC DMA... Similarly RU has been a part of the top rated games in the NYC DMA on ESPN and ESPN2... So it can now be said that RU now possesses the highest ratings for a CFB game (multiple such ganes at that) on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU out of ALL D1a CFB teams in the NYC DMA...

I would consider that as "delivering" the NYC market... at least delivering it better then any other CFB team in the country...

BTW wear black to the RU-UConn game!!! it should be a sell-out at 53K (10-12K students)!!! :)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In regards to that... The Rutgers @Arkansas game drew a 0.9 on ESPNU in the NYC area... which is the highest rated CFB game in ESPNU history in the NYC DMA... Similarly RU has been a part of the top rated games in the NYC DMA on ESPN and ESPN2... So it can now be said that RU now possesses the highest ratings for a CFB game (multiple such ganes at that) on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU out of ALL D1a CFB teams in the NYC DMA...

I would consider that as "delivering" the NYC market... at least delivering it better then any other CFB team in the country...

BTW wear black to the RU-UConn game!!! it should be a sell-out at 53K (10-12K students)!!! :)

What does a Uconn v Louisville hoop game generate?

Reaction Score
Obviously one of us has an incorrect view of UConn's position in the college sports world. I'll leave it to each reader to decide for himself. I just think we are more like UK, UNC, KU..etc. than we are like USC, Bama, Neb..etc.

UNC and KU would prefer to be more well rounded and not merely "basketball first". Unfortunately in reality, your comparison doesn't support your argument.

Reaction Score
yes but of that 10-12k students, 8k of them will be nappy headed hoes or trannys.

Don Imus got fired for a comment like that. And let's not deceive ourselves. RU will have a raucously full stadium at kickoff when the TV cameras come on. We have never come close to that in all our years at the Rent. Don't think that opening scene isn't factored into a conference's perception of your program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom