T-Swift - UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

T-Swift - UConn

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This posture has never ended well for you when you've pressed it.

You have not spoken "truth."
You have zero basis for claiming that "UConn incredibly decided" anything.
As such, anything you've attempted to build on so shaky a foundation will not stand, and need not be addressed, which is to your benefit, so leave it there.

Screenshot_20240119-232317.png
Now put that little thing back in your pants, and conduct yourself like a proper guest. In the alternative...

Sometimes giving up is the strong thing
Sometimes to run is the brave thing
Sometimes walking out is the one thing
That will find you the right thing

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
How about this...

You can't find a video of it because NOBODY CARES OR THINKS IT'S UNIQUE.

You can also apply the first of those to PC and their basketball, too - it's a win-win.

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

Reaction Score
It's okay sport. You'll get 'em next time
The more upset dudes get about Taylor Swift on message boards has a direct correlation with how much time they spend listening to her songs when nobody is around.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Kansas won the National Championship in 2022.

Incredibly, UConn copied them in 2023. They even took scissors to the twine hanging from those orange rings on either side of the floor.

I think CBS played, "One Shining Moment," and overlayed highlights of the Tournament too. Just like in 2022.

Lame.

Reaction Score
My favorite bit of pop culture trivia is that Nick Jameson, the actor who played Russian President Suvarov in three seasons of 24, was also the bass player for Foghat in the Slow Ride era.

Did not know that... I remember when I learned that Creed was actually Creed from The Grass Roots and after rewatching the show noticing the little easter eggs.

Reaction Score
The only song is - 'who let the dogs out, woof woof - woof woof'.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Kansas won the National Championship in 2022.

Incredibly, UConn copied them in 2023. They even took scissors to the twine hanging from those orange rings on either side of the floor.

I think CBS played, "One Shining Moment," and overlayed highlights of the Tournament too. Just like in 2022.

Lame.
Actually they've played that song more often for us than anyone outside of Duke.

Reaction Score
Show us us the evidence of the AD telling Powerstation Events “hey, redhead little stepbrother plays one of pop’s biggest worldwide star’s most popular songs and the students sing along. We want to be just like redhead little stepbrother. You are to play this incredibly popular song (along with other singalongs).”

Until then, wipe your tears and go back to being mad at Ed Cooley.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
During the Nova game the crowd sang Mr Brightside, a Michigan football staple. Should we be outraged @FriarJ?
I keep seeing it mentioned, but I don't even know this Mr Brightside song. As someone mentioned earlier, should we adopt Mr Brownstone (Guns) or Mr Crowley (Ozzy) as our versions?
I'd be up for Pearl Jam's Black as a sing along.

Will have to YouTube Mr Brightside and the Taylor Swift song later.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Since Moby attended UConn (but didn't graduate I think), does he have any sing-along songs? I know nothing by him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
During the Nova game the crowd sang Mr Brightside, a Michigan football staple. Should we be outraged @FriarJ?
This is still the only version that is truly worthy.

Reaction Score
I guess since Swift has been a ratings boost for the NFL ESPN decided to try to squeeze in on the action for CBB. There was a ridiculous segment trying to tie her to the Cincy vs Kansas game last night because Kelce played for Cincy in college

Husky25

Reaction Score
I keep seeing it mentioned, but I don't even know this Mr Brightside song. As someone mentioned earlier, should we adopt Mr Brownstone (Guns) or Mr Crowley (Ozzy) as our versions?
I'd be up for Pearl Jam's Black as a sing along.

Will have to YouTube Mr Brightside and the Taylor Swift song later.
"Mr. Brownstone" is about heroin. Probably more appropriate for ECSU, given it's location in Willimantic, if at all for a college program.

"Mr. Crowley" was inspired by Aleister Crowley and deals with darkness, witchcraft, and negativity. According to Songfacts, "the line, 'Won't you ride my white horse,' is a drug reference. Crowley was a known user of opium." It's not exactly a stadium anthem, though I could envision a football team playing the opening organ part before an obvious punting situation (Death to your offensive drive.). Double points for a marching band arrangement, specifically the low brass (Tuba, euphonium, mellophone, trombone, etc.).

"Black" is about a couple falling apart and out of love. It is also not upbeat (1/4 note = 76. The tempo for "Living on a Prayer," for comparison, is 1/4 note = 123.), and therefore unsuitable for a stadium anthem. As big of a Pearl Jam fan that I am, I can also recognize that rarely is an Eddie Vedder lyric adaptable to a stadium sing-a-long (OTOH, portions of "Porch" might work.).

"Alive" maybe, but only the chorus. The verses are semi-autobiographical and did not originally describe a positive experience. On the other hand, Vedder has long since admitted that audiences over the years have changed the meaning of the song for him.

Edit: "Black" would work as a taunt toward an opponent for whom a coach quit on them and started coaching for a rival program (hmm, who could that be?):

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life. I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky..." but it would have to cut off right there.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
"Mr. Brownstone" is about heroin. Probably more appropriate for ECSU, given it's location in Willimantic, if at all for a college program.

"Mr. Crowley" was inspired by Aleister Crowley and deals with darkness, witchcraft, and negativity. According to Songfacts, "the line, 'Won't you ride my white horse,' is a drug reference. Crowley was a known user of opium." It's not exactly a stadium anthem, though I could envision a football team playing the opening organ part before an obvious punting situation (Death to your offensive drive.). Double points for a marching band arrangement, specifically the low brass (Tuba, euphonium, mellophone, trombone, etc.).

"Black" is about a couple falling apart and out of love. It is also not upbeat (1/4 note = 76. The tempo for "Living on a Prayer," for comparison, is 1/4 note = 123.), and therefore unsuitable for a stadium anthem. As big of a Pearl Jam fan that I am, I can also recognize that rarely is an Eddie Vedder lyric adaptable to a stadium sing-a-long.

"Alive" maybe, but only the chorus. The verses are semi-autobiographical and did not originally describe a positive experience. On the other hand, Vedder has long since admitted that audiences over the years have changed the meaning of the song for him.
For Black, it's the doot doot doot doot dooty do at the end that I think would work. The rest of the song, not so much.
As far as the Mr songs, just joking with other songs with Mr in the title. I knew neither one was ideal content. Maybe I should pick a song from Mr Mister. :)

Husky25

Reaction Score
For Black, it's the doot doot doot doot dooty do at the end that I think would work. The rest of the song, not so much.
As far as the Mr songs, just joking with other songs with Mr in the title. I knew neither one was ideal content. Maybe I should pick a song from Mr Mister. :)
The more I think of the organ intro for "Mr. Crowley," the more I'd like the football team to adopt it. But again, only a marching band arrangement.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
The more I think of the organ intro for "Mr. Crowley," the more I'd like the football team to adopt it. But again, only a marching band arrangement.
I forgot how it sounded, so I went to YouTube. Great ominous sound. Any chance we can get Ozzy to say UConn Huskies right off the bat instead of Mr Crowley?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

"Black" is about a couple falling apart and out of love. It is also not upbeat (1/4 note = 76. The tempo for "Living on a Prayer," for comparison, is 1/4 note = 123.), and therefore unsuitable for a stadium anthem. As big of a Pearl Jam fan that I am, I can also recognize that rarely is an Eddie Vedder lyric adaptable to a stadium sing-a-long (OTOH, portions of "Porch" might work.).

Edit: "Black" would work as a taunt toward an opponent for whom a coach quit on them and started coaching for a rival program (hmm, who could that be?):

"I know someday you'll have a beautiful life. I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky..." but it would have to cut off right there.
Look, if we're going to actually stand out and have fun, there are some songs that people will sing, often despite themselves.

My first choice at top.
One Way or Another - Blondie
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Captain Lou Albano - NRBQ

Got to move on from tired tunes like Start Me Up.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Look, if we're going to actually stand out and have fun, there are some songs that people will sing, often despite themselves.

My first choice at top.
One Way or Another - Blondie
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Captain Lou Albano - NRBQ

Got to move on from tired tunes like Start Me Up.
I love the addition of Captain Lou. I'm not sure it'd make a great sing along song, but I'd thoroughly enjoy it. I do love singing to Riding in my Car on a summer day with the windows down, but I doubt the kids know it.
I was pondering Pink's "Just like a pill", maybe Lady A's "Need You Now". I'm out of touch with most music from the last 10+ years. Most of it is not my gig. "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I understand that a song called the Star Spangled Banner is played and sung before games at other schools, including at games of some of our most hated rivals. Unless UConn was the first to use this song, I think we need to find something more original.
Ironically for this thread and because we are discussing something that happened on 2$ beer night you chose to offer the Star Spangled Banner as a counterpoint.

The melody Key assigned to accompany the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.” Written around 1775 by John Stafford Smith, the song honored the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, a lover of wine.

And:

“America (My Country 'Tis of Thee)” uses the same melody as that of the British national anthem, “God Save The Queen.”

Now the second steal makes sense in that we were deliberately sticking it to the British. But the first is hilarious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom