T-Swift - UConn | The Boneyard

T-Swift - UConn

Reaction Score
Last night late in the second half "You Belong with Me" by Taylor Swift played over the loud speaker as the game came back from a time out. Once the music cut out the fans continued to sing the song as the play resumed. I've heard from numerous fans how cool it was and while I love fan participation I feel very iffy about this. This has been a Providence staple for the past few years. Most people I have talked to are completely oblivious to this fact. I'm not the biggest fan of straight up stealing this from Providence with 0 trace of recognition. IF this was done against Providence as a 'in your face' gesture, or if it was announced we were stealing it from them and doing it better...I'd love it. But to just straight up steal it and pretend it was our own thing seems very lame to me. UConn's too successful of a program and playing too well to be stealing traditions from other schools...bad look imo

Reaction Score
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
So stupid. They played like 4 straight singalong type songs that are played in hundreds of arenas. They also played Mr Brightside. Is the Michigan message board bent?

The crowd was great last night. Lots of electricity, students were A+. Fun night to be there. Anything else is a wet blanket.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the post. Serious question - what would we who have been paying attention for the last 5, 10, or 20 years expect of our athletic department other than to rip off a tired or lame tradition from some other school?

Reaction Score
Last night late in the second half "You Belong with Me" by Taylor Swift played over the loud speaker as the game came back from a time out. Once the music cut out the fans continued to sing the song as the play resumed. I've heard from numerous fans how cool it was and while I love fan participation I feel very iffy about this. This has been a Providence staple for the past few years. Most people I have talked to are completely oblivious to this fact. I'm not the biggest fan of straight up stealing this from Providence with 0 trace of recognition. IF this was done against Providence as a 'in your face' gesture, or if it was announced we were stealing it from them and doing it better...I'd love it. But to just straight up steal it and pretend it was our own thing seems very lame to me. UConn's too successful of a program and playing too well to be stealing traditions from other schools...bad look imo

Why do you care? It's trivial at best. Watch the fragging game.

Reaction Score
It's a tough call. Music is the common lanuguage across the world, it unites people. Great to hear everyone having fun and singing along, etc. .....but i would be pissed if another venue outside of Connecticut started using Brass Bonanza.

Reaction Score
Jumping back in with some ideas for the folks in the AD:

Don't we already have our own fight song that students and fans could be encouraged to sing?

Could we pick another song and start our own tradition? For those that think I'm knocking Taylor Swift, I understand she might have a whole catalog of songs that are fun to sing along to. Or, as me and 12 friends did in the Carrier Dome in 2012, the crowd could sing "We are the champions" by Queen.

Or, encourage reciting famous quotes from UConn history? Starting with "That's what happens when you ban us!"?

Could we do something that facilitates a little bit of pride in the State of Connecticut?

Why not do something to highlight all the banners hanging from the rafters?

What about handing out 3 dollar bills with Cam Spencer's face on them and encouraging students to make it rain when he hits a 3? I did this in Pittsburgh in 2009, with bills with AJ Price's face on them (although if I recall it was Craig Austrie that triggered the rain) and I can assure you the opponent's fans did not like this.

Etc, etc, etc.

Reaction Score
Providence doesn't have any claim to Taylor Swift other than she owns that prominent mansion in Watch Hill and they begged her to come to Providence for a game, she's still yet to show up. She's unbelievably popular, like Michael Jackson and Madonna popular so sports has latched on to her, especially since Kelce. I don't get it but if it gets girls/women/more dudes tuning into our games and buying tickets then do it. If people have fun with it, do it. Sports are supposed to be fun.

As Deepster pointed out they played The Killers song which everyone has been singing along to for nearly two decades now. If any other team plays Jock Jams I will freak out though, that's UConn's Jock Jams.

Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard, Travis Kelce.

Reaction Score
I had to chuckle at Providence fans being upset that someone was trolling their site. If Providence was #1, this place would be crawling with Providence fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom