T-Swift - UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

T-Swift - UConn

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How's this a 5-page thread?
6 pages now. Soon to probably be 7.

My only gripe is the amount of licensed music played through the PA. The pep band takes up a 1/2 section in the student area in both arenas, yet hardly play. The least that could happen is to find a pep band (or marching band for football) arrangement of these songs. It's not like they'd be taking money out of the pocket of the artists. License fees typically go to the publisher.

Reaction Score
6 pages now. Soon to probably be 7.

My only gripe is the amount of licensed music played through the PA. The pep band takes up a 1/2 section in the student area in both arenas, yet hardly play. The least that could happen is to find a pep band (or marching band for football) arrangement of these songs. It's not like they'd be taking money out of the pocket of the artists. License fees typically go to the publisher.
the musical atmosphere at a college game (any sport) should be provided by the student band. A shame it's gotten away from that (not just a UConn problem).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Queen's anthems are dreadfully overwrought. Let TV networks and corporate advertisers use them.

Michael Bolton's power ballads are of another time and for a different audience; let him recovery from his brain tumor surgery and wish him well.

Millions of people spanning the globe have paid hundreds to thousands of dollars in the past year plus to gather in large arenas and sing Taylor Swift songs along side others doing the same, and "You Belong with Me" is an upbeat, easy-to-sing, 'romantic love triumphant' tune that provides an arguably comparable sing-along experience that compensates for being on a lesser scale by offering a lower barrier-to-entry across many factors, while simultaneously providing the live experience of America's top indoor college sport.

In pure heteronormative demographic terms, the mix of Swift & basketball offers "something for the boys & something for the girls," which was the magical sweet spot that turned Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" (1977) and James Cameron's "Titanic" (1997) into record-shattering pop culture phenomenons.

Walking on-campus to your school's arena to score a $2 beer and witness the #1-ranked Huskies dominate a ranked conference opponent, and sing along with "game day decision"-returning Donovan Clingan who is the same age Taylor Swift was when "You Belong With Me" (19)? Maybe not "priceless," but powerful enough to stir a whole bunch of emotions among the the fans, the perplexed, the jealous, and the haters.

Reaction Score

Lame as f is pretending you invented singing along to one of the most popular songs ever written. I've heard it in arenas and stadiums dating back to 2009 (the ND student section belted it out when our football team played there that year).

You're just dumb enough to post it on YouTube claiming it's "your" tradition.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Penn St football fans sang along with ‘Livin on a Prayer’ when I was there a few years ago during a whiteout game and it gave me goosebumps. I don’t think it’s a tradition bc they didn’t play it when I was there this past year so I say we steal that one…

Reaction Score
Dear Providence,

We’re sorry, we didn’t know you guys liked this song so much. From now on we will contact all D1 venues and ask what songs they like to play during games so we can be sure we don’t hurt anyone else’s feelings. Our bad, won’t happen again.

Signed,
UConn

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting this to create any new fans here, but here's the song in question.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I would agree with you IF this wasn't a popular song by the most popular singer right now. Consider how many venues play "Welcome to the Jungle", "We Will Rock You", "Seven Nation Army,": etc. If Providence played something unique and we played it, I would agree with you.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting this to create any new fans here, but here's the song in question.

Dear God, what a moron the kid in this video is. That's Lane Meyer level dumb. I was probably even dumber, but I doubt I had quite those opportunities to squander.

Reaction Score
THAT would be great. D’Amelio, get on it.

Serious question, did anyone who has not actually attended a game at the Dunk even know this is a thing they do at PC? It’s not exactly one of college basketball’s storied traditions. I was never aware of it until this thread. And I still can’t get myself to give a . As the parent of a diehard Swifty, this song is among the worst in her catalog. Do Blank Space or Cruel Summer and we’d be cooking with gas.
If we're doing Cruel Summer, sorry Taylor but it's gotta be Bananarama...

Reaction Score
If we're doing Cruel Summer, sorry Taylor but it's gotta be Bananarama...

That was my initial reaction - still get amped up when it comes on when Daniel LaRusso is riding his bike to school - but I have to admit T-Swift's Cruel Summer has grown on me. I've been inundated with this stuff for years now. My kid actually wants to watch Chiefs games. Last time she commented that the defense "did an intercept." Progress.

Reaction Score
I don't really intend to call you out specifically on this, but I don't understand how you could hate a crowd singing a song. Especially if it's organic and not forced by the host.

Do you hate when people all sing a popular song on the dance floor at a wedding too? What about when you're on a road trip and everyone in the car starts singing?

Reaction Score
How many people at Gampel knew that Providence’s crowd does it too? Over/under 25%? I’ll take the under

How many people on this forum knew that Providence does it? I sure didn’t

The DJ played a song and everyone was drunk and happy so they sang along. Is it really worth any more thought than that? Lmao

Reaction Score
How many people at Gampel knew that Providence’s crowd does it too? Over/under 25%? I’ll take the under

How many people on this forum knew that Providence does it? I sure didn’t

The DJ played a song and everyone was drunk and happy so they sang along. Is it really worth any more thought than that? Lmao
I could understand it a little bit if we forced it onto the crowd to make it a "thing" but by all accounts that's not remotely what's going on and apparently other people said the crowd sang along to 3 others that game.

Reaction Score
That was my initial reaction - still get amped up when it comes on when Daniel LaRusso is riding his bike to school - but I have to admit T-Swift's Cruel Summer has grown on me. I've been inundated with this stuff for years now. My kid actually wants to watch Chiefs games. Last time she commented that the defense "did an intercept." Progress.
I don't know her music but I looked up the two songs you posted and I've heard them enough that I could practically sing along. It's just background noise but if you're at Walgreens, the doctors office, basically any office building or store you can't help but hear her songs. Her songs are definitely catchy, am I right that she was country when she started out and has moved away from that?

It's interesting to me how popular she is, Michael Jackson and Madonna are the only artists in my lifetime I remember being at this level of pop icon. I don't quite get her appeal in this day and age and find it interesting that she's so popular.

Michael Jackson was the most talented young performer anyone our age and older had ever seen and everything surrounding him was larger than life and unique/strange. Madonna's songs were super catchy but it was her provocative persona that took her to the next level, people were always wondering what she would do or wear next. Taylor Swift's songs are catchy, she's talented, and fairly attractive but there's nothing provocative about her and what I've seen of her she seems a bit bland/boring. She just kind of seems like the pretty/talented girl next door. My guess is that relatability has a lot to do with why she's so popular but I'm just surprised how much it resonates with people today.

Banarama's Cruel Summer is a great song and yes I always picture Daniel LaRusso riding his bike to school. 80's soundtracks are legendary, I watched Rocky 4 this past weekend and it's just one long awesome 80's music montage.

Reaction Score
I don't know her music but I looked up the two songs you posted and I've heard them enough that I could practically sing along. It's just background noise but if you're at Walgreens, the doctors office, basically any office building or store you can't help but hear her songs. Her songs are definitely catchy, am I right that she was country when she started out and has moved away from that?

It's interesting to me how popular she is, Michael Jackson and Madonna are the only artists in my lifetime I remember being at this level of pop icon. I don't quite get her appeal in this day and age and find it interesting that she's so popular.

Michael Jackson was the most talented young performer anyone our age and older had ever seen and everything surrounding him was larger than life and unique/strange. Madonna's songs were super catchy but it was her provocative persona that took her to the next level, people were always wondering what she would do or wear next. Taylor Swift's songs are catchy, she's talented, and fairly attractive but there's nothing provocative about her and what I've seen of her she seems a bit bland/boring. She just kind of seems like the pretty/talented girl next door. My guess is that relatability has a lot to do with why she's so popular but I'm just surprised how much it resonates with people today.

Banarama's Cruel Summer is a great song and yes I always picture Daniel LaRusso riding his bike to school. 80's soundtracks are legendary, I watched Rocky 4 this past weekend and it's just one long awesome 80's music montage.
She was very "relatable" to teenage girls when she first started releasing music, and she kind of kept that as her persona. She acts like her fans are her friends and the media drips things about her relationships to keep the fanbase engaged. That audience is older, has some money to throw around, and holds more influence nowadays. Her music will probably always be relatable to middle schoolers and she does enough fan service that she keeps fans for a long time.

To be perfectly honest it's very cult-y. Diehard swifties are relentless on social media and people have been harassed by her fanbase over perceived "slights" against her.

Reaction Score
Bye, bye, Miss American pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry…,,,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01