Syracuse 2004 = UConn 2013 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse 2004 = UConn 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Did 'Cuse hire an OC when GDL was demoted? That is all.

Reaction Score
bumping this thread to the top . . . . as we try to figure out how much involvement GDL will have with the offense beyond coaching the line, since the Horde is too polite to ask.

Also for the benefit of those who don't believe Manuel hired Weist.
I'm not sure what resurrecting this thread from 8 months ago accomplishes. We'll know soon enough if the Weist hire makes a difference, if the offense comes around and if we're better or not. If not, PP needs to go. I don't think anyone will argue that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
bumping this thread to the top . . . . as we try to figure out how much involvement GDL will have with the offense beyond coaching the line, since the Horde is too polite to ask.

Also for the benefit of those who don't believe Manuel hired Weist.
I don't know how you can have a "Keep calm and trust TJ" avatar when you clearly don't.

I know that a similar situation happened at Syracuse. I know that people feel burned by GDL.

Facts are :
TJW is our OC. He's responsible for the offense.
It's already been stated that TJW is calling the plays.
GDL's title may be ambiguous, but everything I've heard thus far is that his responsibility is the line. Period.

I think it's illogical to assume that TJW stepped in to a situation without clear knowledge of the lines of responsibility. I also think it's illogical to assume that P is going to take exactly the same course of action as what happened at Syracuse - ie, he's too dumb to learn from mistakes. People may not like him but he's not an idiot.

GDL's been around the game a long time. He can certainly suggest certain things if he likes, but the buck stops with TJ on offense. We are not Syracuse - this is a different time and a different situation. Until we have some hard evidence that TJW's authority is being kneecapped, why freak out? Keep calm and trust TJ.

Reaction Score
Mike, from reading your posts I think you and I are on the same page. I trust TJ; based on what happened nine years ago and what I've seen with my own eyes the past two years I don't have 100 percent faith that PP/GDL are going to be all-in with TJ. All you need to do is look at West Virginia (Stewart-Holgorsen) to see these kind of arrangements can blow up.

The more I think about Towson -- and based on Temple/Buffalo from last season -- I'm worried PP might get too cute and rein in TJ to hold the 'good stuff' for Maryland-Michigan. Screw that. PP/TJ/Chandler, etc. need to set the tone from the first snap Aug. 29 and not let up. Call off the dogs in the fourth quarter, not the second.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mike, from reading your posts I think you and I are on the same page. I trust TJ; based on what happened nine years ago and what I've seen with my own eyes the past two years I don't have 100 percent faith that PP/GDL are going to be all-in with TJ. All you need to do is look at West Virginia (Stewart-Holgorsen) to see these kind of arrangements can blow up.

The more I think about Towson -- and based on Temple/Buffalo from last season -- I'm worried PP might get too cute and rein in TJ to hold the 'good stuff' for Maryland-Michigan. Screw that. PP/TJ/Chandler, etc. need to set the tone from the first snap Aug. 29 and not let up. Call off the dogs in the fourth quarter, not the second.
I get it. We all want to wake up from this 2 year nightmare!

I have faith TJ is in control. Hearing about the"energy" and "tempo" of Weist and the offense the other night have me convinced there's a new sheriff in town. Proof will be in playing some downs. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
Then Syracuse hired and retained for four years Greg Robinson and UCONN flew past the Orange.

Also, we still don't know who will be calling plays for UCONN this season and an article from 2004 doesn't really shed much light on that.

If P let's GDL call games like he did last season it will all be mute after this season because P will be gone after a 2-3 win season.....and that's how bad it will be if the offense is what it was last season.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Then Syracuse hired and retained for four years Greg Robinson and UCONN flew past the Orange.

Also, we still don't know who will be calling plays for UCONN this season and an article from 2004 doesn't really shed much light on that.

If P let's GDL call games like he did last season it will all be mute after this season because P will be gone after a 2-3 win season.....and that's how bad it will be if the offense is what it was last season.
I don't understand how we don't know who will be calling plays when it was stated recently that TJW is calling the plays?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how we don't know who will be calling plays when it was stated recently that TJW is calling the plays?

Correct, I had forgotten about that article.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
A wise man once said "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."

Reaction Score

I'm starting to think, based on last year that it might be better to throw almost everything out there to really find out what works. If a lot of things work it gives the other coaches more to plan for. Letting them gameplan for us rather than the other way around also sets an aggressive tone for the team. We can always call off the dogs if need be but that's a good problem. In our situation running up the score is a virtue not a vice.

I just responded to you after reading one sentence of the last paragraph and basically repeated the rest. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Don't think any of this is a surprise to Warde Manuel. I sent him an email in December.

Subject: Deja Vu?
Date: December 13, 2012 2:03:19 PM EST
To: <warde.manuel@uconn.edu>

Dear Warde,
I realize you've been extremely busy dealing with the "complexities" of conference affiliation that seem to swirl almost daily so I apologize in advance for the length of this email.

I noted with interest that one of the deciding factors in the recent soft landings for Louisvillle and Rutgers was the "perception" that UConn was not as serious about its football program as they were. As you’ll recall, in the face of much derision, both of them spent lots of money to expand their stadiums (before a significant need was demonstrated). We all can recall how they were called out by many in the media and elsewhere as pursuing a folly in the face of more pressing concerns for state funds. Yet the fact that they pushed on was cited as evidence of a more serious commitment. While stadium expansion is certainly a visible indicator of seriousness, there's no doubt that winning is still the most critical element to program success. It's absolutely imperative in engendering foot-stomping enthusiasm, increased attendance and sustained financial support. But while logical arguments can be made to delay stadium expansion, winning cannot wait. Stadiums half-full of half-hearted fans are recipes for disaster.

Apropos of that, I saw where you decided to retain Coach P for next season with the understanding that certain adjustments would occur. While I won't recount here what I'm sure you've already analyzed to be the root causes of our offensive woes, it may be instructive for you to know that the exact same medicine you've prescribed for our Husky football turnaround was tried at Syracuse when Coach P had the Orange sliding backward in 2003-2004. Forgive me if you've already been made aware of this article, but I offer it as a cautionary tale. Please understand that we are all extremely proud of how far UConn football has come, but there's little doubt that our future rests on being at the big-boy table when all the conference chairs are finally shuffled. In my view, every move needs to be made with a view through that realignment prism. Below is the article that bears a careful reading. (Please note the date.)

Assistants Exchange Roles as Pasqualoni’s Duties as Head Coach Increase
BY MICHAEL BECKER
Published September 1, 2004 at 12:00 pm

It took Syracuse Director of Athletics Jake Crouthamel a little longer than usual to ponder the answer.
‘Paul Pasqualoni said he will be ‘more involved’ in football operations this year,’Crouthamel was asked. ‘What does ‘more involved’ mean? He paused. ‘It means…,’ Crouthamel started, like he was trying to dance around a plot of landmines. ‘It means Paul will be…Involved. More. That’s the best answer I can give.’

It’s been two seasons since the Syracuse Orange football team has captured a winning season and a bowl berth. This off-season, Pasqualoni almost paid for it with his job. Instead, Crouthamel and the football staff promised changes: more responsibility, different job assignments and, perhaps, more accountability from the head coach.

But it seems, much like Crouthamel’s answer, the change is minimal.

‘The head coach will be responsible for everything that’s done offensively, defensively, from a special teams standpoint,’ Pasqualoni said. ‘That’s the way it’s been. That’s the way it’s always been.’
Though no members of the Syracuse football staff lost their jobs last season, in which the Orange went 6-6 and failed to make a bowl game, responsibilities have been shuffled.

* George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator but retained his job as offensive line coach and associate head coach. He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth. * Steve Dunlap was named the defensive coordinator, replacing Chris Rippon. * R. Todd Littlejohn will be one of two secondary unit coaches. * Jim Reid was hired from Richmond as the defensive line coach, replacing the departed Jerry Azzinaro, who took a coaching job at Duke. * Rippon was also named special teams coordinator, replacing Chris White. * White was named the recruiting coordinator and will retain his job as tight ends coach.

‘The fact that we have the same people is encouraging,’ Crouthamel said. ‘The continuity is certainly going to help.’

DeLeone said the coaches were still adjusting to their new roles. But, he said, everyone would feel comfortable after all the preseason scrimmages were over. ‘It’s an excellent natural progression,’ he said.

This is not the first season in which Pasqualoni has taken a larger role. He said there have been seasons where he has scripted every play. There have been years he’s worked almost exclusively with the offense, and years when he’s given greater emphasis to defense or special teams.
Pasqualoni said he would be more involved in weekly preparation, not just gameday operations, which involve approving or nixing a play call. He also said his staff will be heavily consulted. But that has not changed from previous years.
‘I want an atmosphere where everyone’s contributing,’ Pasqualoni said, ‘where everyone has some responsibility. Whether you’re in football or business, you’d like to think that everyone takes a little ownership. That’s the way we work it.’

When asked about Pasqualoni’s job security, Crouthamel said he would continue to rate his performance by four criteria: 1) finishing in the top three of the Big East;
2) finishing among the Top 25 annually; 3) frequent bowl participation, including the Bowl Championship Series; and 4) a high graduation rate.

Crouthamel said Pasqualoni met the fourth criterion. ‘But I don’t take the criteria for one year and say, ‘OK, you failed. You’re done.’ ‘
He said Pasqualoni’s performance would be measured annually, but one or two bad seasons, stacked up against his career track record, wouldn’t merit a dismissal.
‘We’re not happy with the number of wins in the last two years,’ Pasqualoni said. ‘Our expectations are much higher.’
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Needless to say Warde, these changes did not work and Coach P was fired after the season. The other assistants all knew that as long as George DeLeone was on staff, he would have Coach P's ear. It was a disaster and coupled with subsequent poor hiring choices, the Orange program was set back for years. In this uncertain conference environment, UConn simply can't afford such slippage. My only solace is that I know you'll be watching closely.

Best of luck and warm regards,

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Now THAT is a well-written letter. If the boneyard had captains, you'd be one. Yarders, y'all need to take note of Nostical's letter-writing game.

Reaction Score
"We were coming off a National Title in hoops, a BCS Bowl in Football and this Hathaway PAYS a consulting firm to tell him to hire Pasqualoni all well pissing off the biggest donor in the program's history."

Was HCPP the top choice by JH or did the influence of Chair of the BOT McHugh influence the choice?

Reaction Score
The sad reality is that the Orange fans called this "instant replay" we are experiencing, two years ago! Ridiculous......

Cuse fan I take train with called it day we hired PP. I had no idea what he was talking about. He asked me how GDL was doing last year and I realized what he was talking about.

UconnWitt

Because Fartman69 was taken.
Reaction Score
This team may very well go 0-12 in 2013...seriously. It's a possibility. Oh, and I'm an eternal optimist by nature...this situation stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom