Syracuse 2004 = UConn 2013 | The Boneyard

Syracuse 2004 = UConn 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It took Syracuse Director of Athletics Jake Crouthamel a little longer than usual to ponder the answer.
‘Paul Pasqualoni said he will be ‘more involved’ in football operations this year,’Crouthamel was asked. ‘What does ‘more involved’ mean?’
He paused. ‘It means…,’ Crouthamel started, like he was trying to dance around a plot of landmines. ‘It means Paul will be…Involved. More. That’s the best answer I can give.’
It’s been two seasons since the Syracuse Orange football team has captured a winning season and a bowl berth. This off-season, Pasqualoni almost paid for it with his job. Instead, Crouthamel and the football staff promised changes: more responsibility, different job assignments and, perhaps, more accountability from the head coach.
But it seems, much like Crouthamel’s answer, the change is minimal.
‘The head coach will be responsible for everything that’s done offensively, defensively, from a special teams standpoint,’ Pasqualoni said. ‘That’s the way it’s been. That’s the way it’s always been.’
Though no members of the Syracuse coaching staff lost their jobs last season, in which the Orange went 6-6 and failed to make a bowl game, some responsibilities have been shuffled.
* George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator but retained his job as offensive line coach and associate head coach. He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth. *
full article read & weep
http://www.dailyorange.com/2004/09/...s-pasqualoni-s-duties-as-head-coach-increase/

Reaction Score
WTF...George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator .... He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth.

How does that make sense? The OC makes the call. He inform GDL of the play. GDL then passes it on to P.

Remember Sigorney Weaver in Galaxy Quest? She was the only one who could talk to the computer so she had to repeat every question to the computer so it could be answered? INSANE.

Reaction Score
Yep. Seen this movie before. And I'll ask again.....if us lowly internet message boards lunatics know about this, rest assured anyone on our current staff or any other external OC worth their salt knows this. So even if GDL is "relieved" of his duties.....who in their right mind would come in here and work for one year under a dead man walking?

Reaction Score
Good catch. Of course, Syracuse went 6-6 again in 2004 after all that significant shuffling of responsibilities and PP got canned. I seriously hope that doesn't mean we're going to be 5-7 again in 2013, but sadly, the old adage about "those who forget history" is usually right.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
How come I don't remember tieing for first this year in the BE and finishing #14 in the country two years ago???

Reaction Score
How come I don't remember tieing for first this year in the BE and finishing #14 in the country two years ago???

They tied or first with everyone left in the conference that wasn't UConn, Rutgers or Temple.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
They tied or first with everyone left in the conference that wasn't UConn, Rutgers or Temple.

Yeah. Just like SU, UofL, Cincy and RU tied this year. Notice UCONN wasn't in that list???

And we weren't top 15 two years ago.

But don't let facts get in the way of quality whining.

Reaction Score
This replay of SU 2004 problems evolving into UConn head in sand 2012 will probably be chapter one material for Athletic Director 101 at all institutions where the course is taught. Forget about the Fire P tee shirts. Invest in paper bags as they should be selling briskly at our last home game next year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's so sad.

Literally on the day Pasqualoni was hired, the Syracuse fans were rejoicing on their board because they knew how screwed we would be.

We were coming off a National Title in hoops, a BCS Bowl in Football and this Hathaway PAYS a consulting firm to tell him to hire Pasqualoni all well pissing off the biggest donor in the program's history.

Oh, not to mention our subsequent downfall from Conference Champions to cellar dwellers in two seasons is the reason Louisville was taken over UConn.

Reaction Score
This replay of SU 2004 problems evolving into UConn head in sand 2012 will probably be chapter one material for Athletic Director 101 at all institutions where the course is taught. Forget about the Fire P tee shirts. Invest in paper bags as they should be selling briskly at our last home game next year.

Has it occurred to anyone else? Because it occurred to me that if one coach was not already being paid PP X 2 (not a knock on JC. Just a fact) for not coaching, PP and GDL, probably with a term co-terminus with PP, would have been sent packing. Given the State's situation, three coaches doing nothing for $3.0 to 4.0 million, is probably a difficult sell. The new Prez and AD must be wondering what the hell they walked in to?

Reaction Score
It's so sad.

Literally on the day Pasqualoni was hired, the Syracuse fans were rejoicing on their board because they knew how screwed we would be.

We were coming off a National Title in hoops, a BCS Bowl in Football and this Hathaway PAYS a consulting firm to tell him to hire Pasqualoni all well pissing off the biggest donor in the program's history.

Oh, not to mention our subsequent downfall from Conference Champions to cellar dwellers in two seasons is the reason Louisville was taken over UConn.

In my experience, high-end head hunters don't tell a client whom to hire. The firm and client agree on a final "short-list." The final hire is up to the client. Business Consultants don't put them selves on the "blame" target. The closest you'll get is, "all of these finalist meet the qualifications set forth in your 'Specification'." Oh, and "here's our final invoice"

I've always felt that Hathaway picked the candidate least like JC and GA; the one least likely to be a pain in the ass.

Reaction Score
It took Syracuse Director of Athletics Jake Crouthamel a little longer than usual to ponder the answer.
‘Paul Pasqualoni said he will be ‘more involved’ in football operations this year,’Crouthamel was asked. ‘What does ‘more involved’ mean?’
He paused. ‘It means…,’ Crouthamel started, like he was trying to dance around a plot of landmines. ‘It means Paul will be…Involved. More. That’s the best answer I can give.’
It’s been two seasons since the Syracuse Orange football team has captured a winning season and a bowl berth. This off-season, Pasqualoni almost paid for it with his job. Instead, Crouthamel and the football staff promised changes: more responsibility, different job assignments and, perhaps, more accountability from the head coach.
‘The head coach will be responsible for everything that’s done offensively, defensively, from a special teams standpoint,’ Pasqualoni said. ‘That’s the way it’s been. That’s the way it’s always been.’
Though no members of the Syracuse coaching staff lost their jobs last season, in which the Orange went 6-6 and failed to make a bowl game, some responsibilities have been shuffled.
* George DeLeone was relieved of his duties as offensive coordinator but retained his job as offensive line coach and associate head coach. He will still relay plays to Pasqualoni from the control booth. *
full article read & weep
http://www.dailyorange.com/2004/09/...s-pasqualoni-s-duties-as-head-coach-increase/
Wow. I just threw up.

Reaction Score
Has it occurred to anyone else? Because it occurred to me that if one coach was not already being paid PP X 2 (not a knock on JC. Just a fact) for not coaching, PP and GDL, probably with a term co-terminus with PP, would have been sent packing. Given the State's situation, three coaches doing nothing for $3.0 to 4.0 million, is probably a difficult sell. The new Prez and AD must be wondering what the hell they walked in to?
Why is Calhoun being paid so much again not to coach? I really can't get behind the amount of money when Ollie is on the cheap right now and he can't need the money at this point in his well paid life. What will the level of his State pension be?

Reaction Score
full article read & weep

Sent a copy of this article to Office of Pres. of Uconn with some of my own comments as to the situation. Nothing heavy, just that this next year for PP is important and WM needs her support re holding PP to make "real" changes. Just got response from her asistant noting Pres. Herbst thanked me for the comments and the article. FWIW, one opinion has been registered where it should matter most.

Reaction Score
This.

I have it from a good source that JC's ongoing contract has affected KO's (cheap) contract moving forward. And, come to think of it, maybe PP's contract and the ability to pay a new coach big bucks.

Reaction Score
too many conspiracy theories--PP has to go. Sit him down and come up with a solution which allows him to leave with some level of dignity. Health issues? Personal or family matters that need his attention? Let him go out with his head held up; as long as he is going out.

Reaction Score
bumping this thread to the top . . . . as we try to figure out how much involvement GDL will have with the offense beyond coaching the line, since the Horde is too polite to ask.

Also for the benefit of those who don't believe Manuel hired Weist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom