Stonybrook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stonybrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah God FORBID anything happens that makes the players and fans feel good. We wouldn't want that to happen.

Gotta love the logic some people have here in regards to the non conference schedule. One of the most self destructive arrogant mindsets I've ever had to listen to. You have teams with far more talent than we do who opened with opponents far easier than BYU. We have a chance to get a win next Saturday and now we need to listen to someone complain we need to play a "worthwhile opponent". Okkkk. Whatever you say. We are one of the worst college football teams out there right now. Stony Brook is a worthy opponent right now. Anyone we would have a chance to beat would be. I don't even know what your complaining about because we play Boise in Week 3 and than 2 teams USF and Temple who all seem to satisfy your wish. So what is your problem? If we couldn't learn from BYU playing and getting another loss in Week 2 won't prepare us any more.

"We are one of the worst college football teams out there right now. Stony Brook is a worthy opponent right now."

I stopped right there after reading that statement. I am giving this club a lot more credit than you are. Our second half performance against BYU would have been good enough for a win against most of our AAC brethren. As someone else posted, Bryant 13 Stony Brook 7. Worthy????

We have a few freshman out there who would better served playing against "worthy" competition. Stony Brook will be a feel good win for everyone but provide nothing except candy for the fans. Will it help them as the season goes on? I don't think so.

You must be that sole fan sitting in the high seats rooting for the UCONN men's basketball team to crush the Pete's International All-Stars team by 50 points?

Reaction Score
"We are one of the worst college football teams out there right now. Stony Brook is a worthy opponent right now."

I stopped right there after reading that statement. I am giving this club a lot more credit than you are. Our second half performance against BYU would have been good enough for a win against most of our AAC brethren. As someone else posted, Bryant 13 Stony Brook 7. Worthy????

We have a few freshman out there who would better served playing against "worthy" competition. Stony Brook will be a feel good win for everyone but provide nothing except candy for the fans. Will it help them as the season goes on? I don't think so.

You must be that sole fan sitting in the high seats rooting for the UCONN men's basketball team to crush the Pete's International All-Stars team by 50 points?

So our 2nd half performance against BYU would be good enough for a win against most of the AAC?

Guess where I stopped reading?

Your basically arguing that an 0-3 start will be great for the team. Your arguing that playing BYU and Boise State in the first 3 games of the year is not good enough to prepare the team. They need another HARD game in between. That will do the trick! Your wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw both games. One live at LaValle Stadium, the other on TV. Both were complete disappointments. Stony Brook is coming off a very embarrassing lost to a Northeast Conference foe. I believe that it was the first time a Colonial team lost to a NEC opponent so its definitely nothing to be proud of... and Connecticut IMO showed little signs of life throughout that game. I wasn't impressed with Coach Diaco either but I'll reserve any more judgement until later in the season.

While I understand that Stony Brook is not at the same athletic level of a school like Connecticut. There is other reasons why Connecticut might want to associate with schools of Stony Brook's caliber. Stony Brook is a well known reputed research institution and one of the top public Universities in the nation. Part of that elusive group that Connecticut fans wants to be one day part of: the AAU.

So yes, we Stony Brook fans have a lot of reasons to be happy and drive up to East Hartford. Its definitely our marquee match-up... but I also don't see why there is a need to bash a lower tier FCS program that aspires to one day be with the big boys and its academic peers that play at the top level.

I'll be there Saturday, with a small but proud Stony Brook contingent, my UConn girlfriend and her dad and hopefully it turns out to be a wonderful game and entertaining experience. Obviously, I'll have mixed feelings as I'm also a big fan of Connecticut, but this time I'll be rooting for the Alma mater. Ya guys have no idea how long I've been waiting for this game to happen. We have gotten blown up in men's basketball twice (Was there both time), but this our first match up in football and its the biggest collegiate game for me ever... at the end of the day I expect UConn to prevail, but I do hope its a fun game for everyone involved

Hope to see some of you there. Go Seawolves

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the game where they walloped the out of Army a couple of years ago.

That season is distant memory. No trace of that wonderful team from a few years back. We lost several key players including Miguel Maysonet (RB), Kyle Essignton (QB), Michael Bamiro, Dominick Reyes and several others I can't remember. That was the best team SBU has assembled in my years as a fan and we are not even close to that right now

Reaction Score
Fair enough - I will expand on my original OP.

I would like to see an opponent equal to us at this point in the season. A team like Temple comes to mind. You imply that this team needs a shot of confidence at this point in the season. I don't think that lack of confidence from the players is a problem at this point. Casey and HCBD were very upbeat in the after game press conference. Yes, beating Stony Brook by 40 points (I will stand by that prediction) may make the fans and players feel good but I don't think the quick dose of confidence will be worth anything down the road. Learning from their mistakes and standing head to toe with a worthwhile opponent is what is needed here.

After one game a team = to UConn at this point in the season is Temple? Hmmm. You giving me Vandy plus 30 if we played them next week, I'd take it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I disagree. A win is very important, no matter the caliber of opponent.

Reaction Score
I was at the game where they walloped the out of Army a couple of years ago.
I was at that game as well... Stonybrook looked real good. I joked with one of the cadets that they would have an easier time with BC the following week, which Army beat.

Reaction Score
@NHRJimFuller: #UConn game to be a homecoming for Stony Brook coach Chuck Priore, who went 31-1 in final 4 seasons at Trinity http://post original url/f3fP8Tk1WU

Reaction Score
To those who think we beat Stony Brook by 40, I am curious to hear where you think those 40 points will be scored. I can see a 17-7 win without too much trouble, but 40 points? Our O-Line isn't good enough to do what we used to do to these teams, which is run all over them. Our passing game isn't developed enough to really drive the ball quickly down the field.

We win this thing with execution, running the ball, solid defense and minimal mistakes. It's going to have to take good execution to get it done, because we just don't have any one talent to hang our hat on other than playing our best possible game.

Reaction Score
HI!

How are you doing?
I am doing great. I will state the obvious had Cochran played and hit half the receivers that Wittmer missed, we would have doubled our score.

So I still stand by my original posts. A worthlesss game for all involved!

This was an eye opener for me but even though I did not expect great things this first year, we are really really bad thanks to Coach P.

Didn't think I come back, did you?

Reaction Score
OOOPS Whitmer not Wittmer in case you were wondering who I was referring to.

APA

Reaction Score
Your original post predicted 300 yards rushing. Still stand by that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom