Stonybrook | The Boneyard

Stonybrook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would prefer not to play a team like Stonybrook next week. If HCBD's strategy is build this team incrementally learning each week from their mistakes, this game will provide none of those lessons. Yes, we would all enjoy a 40 point win but what purpose would this game serve other than to give the boys and us a false sense of confidence.

I am in this for a the long term because a BCS berth at the end of this journey will be like what JC and Geno have done - transform a mediocre program into a national power. It has been a sweet journey for the basketball programs. Let's enjoy the ride and do the same for the football program..

Reaction Score
I completely disagree. This is what this young team needs. Installing packages, play calls, get their feet underneath against a team that isn't of the same caliber as BYU. There is false confidence. Any confidence at this point will help. This team/program is in building/growing mood. Why play another team like BYU and get beat into the ground and run over? That does nothing for anyone but make them feel even worse. This team needs a positive bright spot, a win, imagine that!? They need something to build on. From what I saw Friday, I don't see this team beating anyone by 40 points any time soon. Baby steps. Starting with a win in which they can control the football, move the offense down the field, protect the ball, get pressure on the QB and score points while preventing the other team from finding the endzone. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Your post bashes the upcoming game and then gives nothing of what you would like to see or what kind of team you think they should play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would prefer not to play a team like Stonybrook next week. If HCBD's strategy is build this team incrementally learning each week from their mistakes, this game will provide none of those lessons. Yes, we would all enjoy a 40 point win but what purpose would this game serve other than to give the boys and us a false sense of confidence.

I am in this for a the long term because a BCS berth at the end of this journey will be like what JC and Geno have done - transform a mediocre program into a national power. It has been a sweet journey for the basketball programs. Let's enjoy the ride and do the same for the football program..
Two words. Towson State. At this point I take nothing for granted.

Reaction Score
I completely disagree. This is what this young team needs. Installing packages, play calls, get their feet underneath against a team that isn't of the same caliber as BYU. There is false confidence. Any confidence at this point will help. This team/program is in building/growing mood. Why play another team like BYU and get beat into the ground and run over? That does nothing for anyone but make them feel even worse. This team needs a positive bright spot, a win, imagine that!? They need something to build on. From what I saw Friday, I don't see this team beating anyone by 40 points any time soon. Baby steps. Starting with a win in which they can control the football, move the offense down the field, protect the ball, get pressure on the QB and score points while preventing the other team from finding the endzone. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Your post bashes the upcoming game and then gives nothing of what you would like to see or what kind of team you think they should play.
Fair enough - I will expand on my original OP.

I would like to see an opponent equal to us at this point in the season. A team like Temple comes to mind. You imply that this team needs a shot of confidence at this point in the season. I don't think that lack of confidence from the players is a problem at this point. Casey and HCBD were very upbeat in the after game press conference. Yes, beating Stony Brook by 40 points (I will stand by that prediction) may make the fans and players feel good but I don't think the quick dose of confidence will be worth anything down the road. Learning from their mistakes and standing head to toe with a worthwhile opponent is what is needed here.

Reaction Score
What is needed is for them to build on what they started against BYU. Have another game w/o any false start, delay of game, or too many men on the field penalties...not have to call t/o's because of play/personnel issues; to improve on their assignment discipline on D and continue to make improvements on O. I saw a fair amount of positive stuff in the BYU game..and I can get as negative as they come during the game. As long as this team makes forward progress each game..things will be ok in the end. Like I posted in another thread...Diaco and his staff didn't inherit a team coming off of a BCS/Fiesta Bowl bid as League Champs. The road is smoothing out, but there will still be bumps in it.

Reaction Score
We need to beat somebody silly so we get a taste for winning. The team needs to build character and know that winning is the end game, not just "hey, we played hard and learned something." The only worse than hopeless losers are proud losers, because they have rationalized that losing is O.K. Winning begets winning.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook may not be the cake walk some posters believe it will be. They are a well coached, physical team with some D1 transfers who can play. They've given SU all they could handle in years past, so UConn better be ready to play. I don't think they're as strong as Towson was LY (FCS national championship caliber), but they will be no slouch. The gap separating the middle/bottom FBS teams and the better FCS teams is gradually shrinking with all the transfers.

UConn will win, probably by 10+, but there will be some WTF moments throughout the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like the way the schedule shapes up this year.

First game is a reality check. There won't be any doubt in any player's mind where he stands regarding technique and preparation after watching the BYU film. That was a very good team and any mistake made by a UConn player will be exposed. Talent and athleticism can't mask mistakes against BYU.

So this week allows the coaches to see who needs improvement and implement changes to get the players better. Stony Brook gives the coaches a week to see who is receptive to the coaching changes and who is not.

Plus it gives the coaches a week to further refine player roles and substitution patterns.

Week 3 against BSU will be another test to see who has improved over the two period between BYU and BSU. Three games and two weeks of between game practices and film will give the coaches enough live contact to know who can compete at this level this year and who needs more seasoning.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook may not be the cake walk some posters believe it will be. They are a well coached, physical team with some D1 transfers who can play. They've given SU all they could handle in years past, so UConn better be ready to play. I don't think they're as strong as Towson was LY (FCS national championship caliber), but they will be no slouch. The gap separating the middle/bottom FBS teams and the better FCS teams is gradually shrinking with all the transfers.

UConn will win, probably by 10+, but there will be some WTF moments throughout the game.
Yes..SB gave Bryant all they could handle

Thu., Aug. 28vs. BryantStony Brook, N.Y.L, 13-7

Reaction Score

I would like to see an opponent equal to us at this point in the season. A team like Temple comes to mind. You imply that this team needs a shot of confidence at this point in the season. I don't think that lack of confidence from the players is a problem at this point. Casey and HCBD were very upbeat in the after game press conference. Yes, beating Stony Brook by 40 points (I will stand by that prediction) may make the fans and players feel good but I don't think the quick dose of confidence will be worth anything down the road. Learning from their mistakes and standing head to toe with a worthwhile opponent is what is needed here.

Temple is a conference opponent. Conference doesn't begin for a few weeks. Try again. I still disagree with you. Any further explanation is unnecessary.

Reaction Score

Yeah God FORBID anything happens that makes the players and fans feel good. We wouldn't want that to happen.

Gotta love the logic some people have here in regards to the non conference schedule. One of the most self destructive arrogant mindsets I've ever had to listen to. You have teams with far more talent than we do who opened with opponents far easier than BYU. We have a chance to get a win next Saturday and now we need to listen to someone complain we need to play a "worthwhile opponent". Okkkk. Whatever you say. We are one of the worst college football teams out there right now. Stony Brook is a worthy opponent right now. Anyone we would have a chance to beat would be. I don't even know what your complaining about because we play Boise in Week 3 and than 2 teams USF and Temple who all seem to satisfy your wish. So what is your problem? If we couldn't learn from BYU playing and getting another loss in Week 2 won't prepare us any more.

Reaction Score

Stony Brook lost at home to Bryant, 13 to 7.....

Reaction Score
Stony Brook coming in is the right medicine for UConn right now. This team needs to find itself and build confidence, and allowing our potential playmakers to make plays and establish leadership without being overwhelmed by superior talent is the way to go at this point.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook coming in is the right medicine for UConn right now. This team needs to find itself and build confidence, and allowing our potential playmakers to make plays and establish leadership without being overwhelmed by superior talent is the way to go at this point.

Completely agree. It gives the guys a chance to go through plays at game speed while not leaving their head spinning as a heisman candidates by them and around them. Live action at a pace that they can digest, diagnose, read and react.

Reaction Score
See us crushing Stony Brook building momentum.

Agree Bugsy

See the freshmen gaining bigtime confidence.
Arkeel and Mariner combine for 300 yards running...Arkeel scores first TD as a husky.

Completely agree. It gives the guys a chance to go through plays at game speed while not leaving their head spinning as a heisman candidates by them and around them. Live action at a pace that they can digest, diagnose, read and react.

Agree with you Mr.B.

See Cochran throw for 250 yards. 550 yards of total offense.
Just what I'm feeling.

Reaction Score
See us crushing Stony Brook building momentum.

Agree Bugsy

See the freshmen gaining bigtime confidence.
Arkeel and Mariner combine for 300 yards running...Arkeel scores first TD as a husky.

Agree with you Mr.B.

See Cochran throw for 250 yards. 550 yards of total offense.
Just what I'm feeling.

Your predictions are quite ambitious. I would like to see at least 3 or 4 offensive touchdowns.

Reaction Score
We need to crush them. Can't afford another week of 0 in the win column. It needs to be a dominating performance with success in all three phases.

After playing a top 50 opponent like BYU, Stony Brook should be a pretty clinical contest.

Reaction Score
Your predictions are quite ambitious. I would like to see at least 3 or 4 offensive touchdowns.

I know my predictions are ambitious but I'm feelin' it after watching the game....again. They have an intangible and I just like these guys...they never gave up despite all the negative cited on this board, score should've been 28-17....against a Heisman hopeful, top 25 team with tremendous o-line.

Reaction Score
I know my predictions are ambitious but I'm feelin' it after watching the game....again. They have an intangible and I just like these guys...they never gave up despite all the negative cited on this board, score should've been 28-17....against a Heisman hopeful, top 25 team with tremendous o-line.

Just can't give up those two turnovers early. Those definitely hurt and put them behind the 8 ball. Worst thing that happened all night. A lot of positives to take away still in in my opinion.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
StonyBrook is the PERFECT game and opponent for us sandwiched between two big OOC games. This game isn't for the fans, it's for the team and the players. We need confidence more than anything else right now. If our guys take this game seriously, and I think that they will thanks to Towson last season, play well and win, then all of a sudden we are feeling good about ourselves and our chances against Boise.

I'm looking for stronger play from our front 7, establishing the running game and trying to define a better rotation, and trying to find a second option to Geremy Davis in the passing game. We'll need all of those things to beat Boise and future opponents.

Confidence. #HuskyUp

Reaction Score

I was at the game where they walloped the out of Army a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom