Stokes... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stokes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I must say that in the tournament games, I have not seen any effort or focus issue with Kiah's play, which is not something that I could have said earlier. There is nothing to criticize in her defense, but (as she acknowledged in a postgame interview) she really needs to be more aggressive on offense.

That's a shame because her strength (check out those shoulders) should be as big an asset as her speed. If she learns to use it to play aggressively in the paint without fouling, and to demand the ball, she can get as many minutes as Stef.

I can imagine an occasional lineup next year (not a starting lineup) with Kiah in the low post, Stef at the high post, and Breanna on the wing, all playing at once. Breanna and Stef have enough of a perimeter game to allow Geno to spread the floor even with that lineup. If the guards are Moriah and Brianna (let's assume KML is taking a rest when this lineup plays), there would still be sufficient speed on the floor for defense and transition offense. (Don't forget Breanna and Kiah can both run very well.)

Kiah can get all the minutes she could possibly play if she develops her considerable talent to its full potential.

Reaction Score
"You put Heather in the game she is looking to score."

??????????

Heather Buck @ UCONN ?????
My thought's exactly! I have never seen Buck show any confidence in the offensive court, she seems to shy away from the basket badly. I only wish she had shown some aggression because maybe she would have found herself a little and been more of a contributor for the girls.

Reaction Score
The right analogue for Kiah Stokes is Kelly Schumacher. Plods along with minor minutes for a few years, finally relies on one skill--shot blocking--plus some small improvements in other areas to make a real contribution. That will be in her senior year, if she just waits out some frustration.
I wouldn't mind her having a game like the one that Kelly had in the final four (I think her junior year) where she totally dominated the inside, swatting shot after shot in one of the most intimidating performances I've ever seen. I'd love her to stuff Notre Dame to death and totally crush Duggins and McBride.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The right analogue for Kiah Stokes is Kelly Schumacher. Plods along with minor minutes for a few years, finally relies on one skill--shot blocking--plus some small improvements in other areas to make a real contribution. That will be in her senior year, if she just waits out some frustration.
fair comparison

Reaction Score
I think Kiah is an important part of our future especially given given the shortness of our future recruits so far.
We need her to fulfill her promise so let' support her in any way we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom