Stokes Posts Double Double in her Debut | The Boneyard

Stokes Posts Double Double in her Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Multiple shots beyond 15 feet? Makin' layups? Who is this woman?

11pts and 11rebounds and 1 steal and 1 block

Sky announcer said at times she looked like the best player on the court. Really?

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

Reaction Score
Great start for Kiah. She took 14 shots in 25 minutes. They must have told her
to "shoot the ball if you want to make this team." A nice double double to start
her pro career off. Sometimes a change of scenery does wonders for you.
Her confidence must be pretty high right now. Good for her, I'm rooting for her
to have a great rookie season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
to "shoot the ball if you want to make this team." A nice double double to start
Yo Mo - A few things I take from this great news---first, Kiah knew what she needed to do to help UConn win (no more -no less); next, with Maryland's and S. Carolina draftees (both starters) getting cut very quickly--it shows the level of talent(on those teams) is not as good as I thought----and finally, Stokes said Butler was impressive as a player and person. I am smiling a little more about next season and for Kiah's pro future.

Reaction Score
When I read the title of the original post, I assumed she had something like 11 rebounds and 10 blocks. Wow! WNBA teams are probably already devising a "hack a Kiah" strategy.

Reaction Score
SUPER! Even if it is only pre-season. N.Y. was whooped by Chicago 83 - 55, and aside from her double-double, Kiah was ALSO the leading scorer for N.Y., AND she played the most minutes for N.Y.

Stats [HERE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like she's in control already!

Kiah_4.png

Reaction Score
I represented the Boneyard at the game.

Had a seat right next to the Liberty Bench. I could've reached out and touched Kiah several times. One time she was going to give me a low five but I wasn't ready for it (don't think she meant to though- haha)! She needs to settle down a little on her jumpers. She got a lot of open looks from the free throw line area. I was one of the few that was cheering for her although a section one the end cheered a little.

The Sky knows her rep as a shot blocker and didn't really challenge her.

I didn't see Tina Charles, Charde Houston or Candace Wiggins at the game.

The Sky looked like they'll have their stuff together even without Fowles. Elena looked like her old self.

Reaction Score
Also of note ---

Jacki Gamelos was 4-7 including 2-5 from 3pt for 10 puts in 17 minutes for the Sky!! How about that!
She made one awesome "Shoni-like" pass on a fast break but the other player missed the layup. She hit some nice treys also.

Reaction Score
Bill sounded like he'll be patient with her as I listened to him comment on the bench.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I represented the Boneyard at the game.
Had a seat right next to the Liberty Bench. I could've reached out and touched Kiah several times.

Had you done so, you would have fouled out! :rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The Stat totals are wrong as they show both teams made 22 out of 69 shots and there are other duplicate totals as well.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
According to Jim Fuller, She took more shots last night than in any game during her UConn career. Also....news to me, she wears #15? Is there a 41?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yo Mo - A few things I take from this great news---first, Kiah knew what she needed to do to help UConn win (no more -no less); next, with Maryland's and S. Carolina draftees (both starters) getting cut very quickly--it shows the level of talent(on those teams) is not as good as I thought----and finally, Stokes said Butler was impressive as a player and person. I am smiling a little more about next season and for Kiah's pro future.

Your opinion of course, but I'm not sure how Kiah Stokes having a big game has anything to do with Laurin Mincy/Aleighsa Welch getting cut or SC/MD's talent level. If anything, it either shows that Stokes is a better player than the other two or a better fit on the roster. I'm going with the former, Mincy is okay but never came across as great to me and Aleighsa, while good at SC, never blew anybody away with her offensive output. Welch was always a longshot to make a WNBA roster. Stokes was always a better prospect than those two.

Most people that follow SC closely on this board can tell you that Aleighsa Welch, while talented and passionate, is nowhere near the most talented player on SC's roster. The same can be said about Mincey... She's clutch at times, but that only gets you so far. And it did.

Reaction Score
Looks like there is at least one coach more brilliant at bring the best out of Stokes than Geno.:)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The individual stats look correct; the totals are wrong for Chicago.

I too thought that a double-double for Kiah meant a lot of blocks. Shooting 5-14 is not great, but I'm glad to see Kiah putting up 14 shots. She can rebound with anyone, including Tina and Sylvia.

Kiah Stokes is not a finished product as a basketball player. I think that both Tina and Swin will be positive tole models for her.

On other subjects, that is great for Elena to be able to play in Delaware again. And for Betnijah. I thought Jackie G's knees were shot and she had retired. She could have been a great player, as in top 3 UConn career scorer. I hope her health allows her to play the game she loves. She's endured enough injuries and surgeries for 2 or 3 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom