Stokes Posts Double Double in her Debut | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stokes Posts Double Double in her Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When I read the title of the original post, I assumed she had something like 11 rebounds and 10 blocks. Wow! WNBA teams are probably already devising a "hack a Kiah" strategy.

Why would they do that? She is a good free throw shooter...

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised. I love her

I agree! I've thought from Day 1 that Stokes has sacrificed her game deferring to designated shooters on her UConn team. I am so thrilled that she will get her chance to shine.

Reaction Score
Multiple shots beyond 15 feet? Makin' layups? Who is this woman?

11pts and 11rebounds and 1 steal and 1 block

Sky announcer said at times she looked like the best player on the court. Really?

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.
Sweet...

Reaction Score
Well, I can't imagine Geno saying, "Kiah, I want you taking the shot rather than Stewie/Kaleena".

Actually, since Uconn's average margin of victory was 40+ points, it seems to me that there were plenty of opportunities for Geno to say to Kiah, " I want you taking the shot. Stewie and Kaleena are already pretty good shooters."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, since Uconn's average margin of victory was 40+ points, it seems to me that there were plenty of opportunities for Geno to say to Kiah, " I want you taking the shot. Stewie and Kaleena are already pretty good shooters."

Can you recall even one time where that happened in a game? It should have been pretty obvious. Yes, Geno wanted her to be more aggressive scoring the basketball. He also wanted her to know her role and play perfect basketball and definitely pulled her a number of times when she missed a few shots.

Now Kiah could have taken that as a challenge and shot more, but Kiah was self-aware of her place in the pecking order. She knew she was usually the 5th most talented offensive player on the floor and played accordingly. There's two ways for success at UConn prove Geno wrong or accept your role and Kiah chose the latter, which is fine for carving out a career as a WNBA role player.

The WNBA should actually suit her offensive skill set better than UConn. I think people forget what a good jump shooter she actually is and showed at times at UConn, especially in her junior season. And that's likely to be her offensive role in the more pick and roll/pick and pop based professional game. There not going to ask her to be a post scorer. And the calculus is going to change. At UConn Kiah faced the decision of taking an open shot for herself or waiting for a likely open shot for Stewart, KML or another player. In the pros if she passes up a shot the next opportunity isn't likely to be an open shot. She's self-aware enough to recognize that difference.

Reaction Score
Can you recall even one time where that happened in a game? It should have been pretty obvious. Yes, Geno wanted her to be more aggressive scoring the basketball. He also wanted her to know her role and play perfect basketball and definitely pulled her a number of times when she missed a few shots.

Now Kiah could have taken that as a challenge and shot more, but Kiah was self-aware of her place in the pecking order. She knew she was usually the 5th most talented offensive player on the floor and played accordingly. There's two ways for success at UConn prove Geno wrong or accept your role and Kiah chose the latter, which is fine for carving out a career as a WNBA role player.

The WNBA should actually suit her offensive skill set better than UConn. I think people forget what a good jump shooter she actually is and showed at times at UConn, especially in her junior season. And that's likely to be her offensive role in the more pick and roll/pick and pop based professional game. There not going to ask her to be a post scorer. And the calculus is going to change. At UConn Kiah faced the decision of taking an open shot for herself or waiting for a likely open shot for Stewart, KML or another player. In the pros if she passes up a shot the next opportunity isn't likely to be an open shot. She's self-aware enough to recognize that difference.

Also, she rarely got the ball when she was open because the guards also knew the pecking order and will get yelled at if they passed to Kiah and she missed...I noticed that when KML was a sophomore. She was was open quite often and seldom got the ball. But that changed when the seniors graduated and nobody else but Stewie was ahead. Kiah did what she was told to do and was happy with that. They won championships as a team. Now, she is free to do more.

Reaction Score

Can I recall when what happened? What was pretty obvious? I have no idea what you're talking about in your first paragraph, or for most of your post, for that matter.

Reaction Score
Can I recall when what happened? What was pretty obvious? I have no idea what you're talking about in your first paragraph, or for most of your post, for that matter.

I quoted you in my post so I thought I made it perfectly clear what I was asking. Again you said:

boontonbomber said:

Can you recall any time when Geno clearly made an effort to specifically get Kiah shots?

The rest of what I posted was not intended for you specifically.

Reaction Score
From the Liberty's Facebook page:

11234922_10152868630357918_629349165860078633_n.jpg
I love this pic. Three awesome UConn women....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mr. Gamecock - You make some good points--Stokes is probably a better player and a better fit on the roster. Nevertheless, I like to make comparisons whenever I get some new info. You know the SC team -- Welch was the 4th best player in terms of statistics. But in the big moments Welch was the leader and carried the team in crunch time. With Mincy her numbers might surprise many. She was 1st in scoring ave., 1st in 3 pt. %. 1st in FT %, and second in assists and she showed senior leadership throughout. As a 6 ft. guard who was a clutch player at times this sounds like the best player to me. Lexie Brown could be tops too. Anyway, Mincy was pretty good.
The second part of this post relates to my reasoning. Akin to a Vegas handicapper, I look at all info to determine the strengths and weaknesses of a team (last years and this coming year.) When Stokes was drafted, made the team, and received positive feedback from Lambeer and Smith, well, that was a upside click for UConn. When I heard how fast Welch and Mincy were cut (for whatever reason) it had to be a downside click. I sure wouldn't be raving how good Maryland and SC were or will be when two good players were cut so fast.
Just my initial reaction based on the info I currently have.

YOU make some good points also PhillyCoach. You shared some very interesting points of view, and gives one something to think about. I enjoyed your post, thanks.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Agree.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Given Kiah's earlier struggles with offense and the staggering scoring talent among other players on the team, I wonder if the team simply didn't develop a habit, from Geno on down and including Kiah, of just not using her much on offense. Gabby, being a freshman, wouldn't have had that habit ingrained over multiple seasons.

Allow me to preface what I'm about to say, by saying this: I love Kiah Stokes....period. I want to make that crystal clear!!! I'm a huge fan of hers. I'll continue to root and cheer for her in every one of her WNBA games. I became a Liberty fan on draft day. Now that she's in the big apple, Kiah will be just fine!!!

Now, that being said... here's my take.......Kiah had difficulty finishing underneath the basket. She never mastered the art of finishing (scoring) consistently under the basket. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Gabby as a freshman, was much better at finishing underneath than Kiah ever was, and Gabby is going to get better. Gabby can shoot facing the basket. She was a very prolific shooter in high school. Let's not forget, she was recruited as a guard. Guards shoot facing the basket. As we all know, Geno needed her to play in the 5 hole with her back to the basket, so that's what she did.

Look at Brianna Turner of Notre Dame. She was much better underneath the basket, and finished plays better AS A FRESHMAN, than Kiah did at any time during her four years of play. A reason for Turner's success could be that no one at Notre Dame ever told her not to shoot. Kiah's career high was 19 points 2 years ago in a preseason game against St. Bonaventure. Turner's is 29.....and counting.

Because of Loyd's premature departure for the WNBA, don't be surprised if Turner becomes the leading scorer for ND next year. Remember, she was the leading scorer for the Irish in the national championship game with 14 points.....all in the second half. She consistently scored in double figures the entire season....again as a freshman! I only used Turner to provide some contrast. This comment almost got away from me. I started talking about Kiah, and finished talking about Turner, which was not my intent.

IMHO, Turner will be an All-American by the end of her junior year. I'll bet my turban and cape on that prediction!! BTW, I'm NOT a Notre Dame fan!!! I'm a dyed in the wool UConn fan!! I bleed blue. I want UConn to give the Irish a 30 point beat down EVERY time they meet. I want those ladies from South Bend to get served.

I can see greatness in Turner, and I'm not ashamed to say that I still wish she had come to UConn. When I picture her in a UConn uniform, I can put envelopes to my head and see visions of grandeur. (Don't YOU try that at home) ;-)

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Allow me to preface what I'm about to say, by saying this: I love Kiah Stokes....period. I want to make that crystal clear!!! I'm a huge fan of hers. I'll continue to root and cheer for her in every one of her WNBA games. I became a Liberty fan on draft day. Now that she's in the big apple, Kiah will be just fine!!!

Now, that being said... here's my take..Kiah had difficulty finishing underneath the basket. She never mastered the art of finishing (scoring) consistently under the basket. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Gabby as a freshman, was much better at finishing underneath than Kiah ever was, and Gabby is going to get better. Gabby can shoot facing the basket. She was a very prolific shooter in high school. Let's not forget, she was recruited as a guard. Guards shoot facing the basket. As we all know, Geno needed her to play in the 5 hole with her back to the basket, so that's what she did.

Look at Brianna Turner of Notre Dame. She was much better underneath the basket, and finished plays better AS A FRESHMAN, than Kiah did at any time during her four years of play. A reason for Turner's success could be that no one at Notre Dame ever told her not to shoot. Kiah's career high was 19 points 2 years ago in a preseason game against St. Bonaventure. Turner's is 29.....and counting.

Because of Loyd's premature departure for the WNBA, don't be surprised if Turner becomes the leading scorer for ND next year. Remember, she was the leading scorer for the Irish in the national championship game with 14 points.....all in the second half. She consistently scored in double figures the entire season....again as a freshman! I only used Turner to provide some contrast. This comment almost got away from me. I started talking about Kiah, and finished talking about Turner, which was not my intent.

IMHO, Turner will be an All-American by the end of her junior year. I'll bet my turban and cape on that prediction!! BTW, I'm NOT a Notre Dame fan!!! I'm a dyed in the wool UConn fan!! I bleed blue. I want UConn to give the Irish a 30 point beat down EVERY time they meet. I want those ladies from South Bend to get served.

I can see greatness in Turner, and I'm not ashamed to say that I still wish she had come to UConn. When I picture her in a UConn uniform, I can put envelopes to my head and see visions of grandeur. (Don't YOU try that at home) ;-)

I'm convinced. You think ND's Turner is pretty good.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I quoted you in my post so I thought I made it perfectly clear what I was asking. Again you said:

Can you recall any time when Geno clearly made an effort to specifically get Kiah shots?
No, I don't. Do you agree with me that Kiah should have had the green light in many of those blowouts?
The rest of what I posted was not intended for you specifically.[/QUOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278