Still waiting for Griner | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Still waiting for Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes...BG is often a defensive force that can change the entire offensive strategy of the opposition. But not as often as should be the case. Yes...she has a nice touch close in. But her reportroire is limited.

Watching her play over the past two weeks only seems to suggest that she's about the same in overall ability as she was in college.

Where's a hook shot ? Where's the left hand ? Where's the perimeter shot ? Where's the pick and roll, occasional dribbling, running the floor, and passes to open teammates ?

IMO, she was the third best center on Team USA. Four years ago the sports media tripped all over itself in searching for superlatives, as they relentlessly touted her as the most dominant female player ever. Not even close.
I wasn't a Griner "liker" more of a "dis-liker". Her performance and personal conduct during the Olympics made me a fan. I will --respectfully disagree--in that she has the "same" overall ability as in college.
In college she did a bit more "flying" at an attacker, now she seems to make better judgements. The most improved aspect of her game is the--6 to 12 foot shots from nearly any angle --at times during the games those shots were pushing 100 percent. She was never that effective except with layups in college.
I won't argue the other comments you made about her game--because my perception is much different.
As I said --I've become a Griner fan. One thing that stood out in my viewing the Olympics is how she hung on every word Geno and DT spoke--goes to prove how smart that woman really has become!!!

Reaction Score
Well then I guess Tina was not properly developed in college - since she improved so much after leaving... :rolleyes:

BTW my comment was NOT meant for you - I generally agree with what you said, but wanted to simply point out that there are many UCONN players who have gotten much fitter, stronger, or better since leaving UCONN. I do
agree that Geno and co. are the best coaches in the nation, but to imply that "Player X" would have been "so much better had she gone to UCONN..." often is just not true. Additionally, there are many examples of UCONN products getting significantly better AFTER leaving UCONN, and I don't hear fans blasting Geno as "not getting the most out of them", or "not developing them"...

Eric--I know I'm stupid to even attempt to disagree with you-because I respect your postings. But let me ask this question--no facts, no data, just my visual judgement. I know there are certain players Geno does not take because they are apparently --not coach-able-. But do you really think --Geno couldn't make a coach-able player better (like some that don't come to Uconn) than the coaches they went to?? (I can think of one right away--)I suppose we shall see when Azura takes the floor!!\

Also, I'm sure you know that players from any teams, if smart and want to keep the dollars flowing--will do everything necessary to get better as a pro and stronger(different motivation)-also much of that comes with age at least to age 36, it did with me.

Geno wasn't "blasted" but he by inference took a few punches relative to Charde and Stokes

I respect your knowledge and access to data ---you notice I don't argue specifics just impression.

Reaction Score
FYI, I think Griner is incredibly quick for her size. I've seen her put the ball on the court and absolutely whip around anyone guarding her. In spite of her huge feet, she has quick feet, as opposed to the incredibly athletic Maya, who has a plodding first step due to her "slow" feet.

And for the record, Geno's the one who said Maya has slow feet. I'm NOT saying she lacks physical gifts. She's exceptional in almost every way - but her first step is slow. Hence Geno's comment that she has slow feet...

But back to Griner - to also echo CL82, she seems like a great kid with a funny and goofy side, who's getting really comfortable in her own skin, who has a great relationship with her teammates (Dee especially) and coaches (Geno especially), and who will continue to work hard on improving her game. She did, after all, EARN a starting role on the team.
\

There was a game or two in the prelim round that I thought --without Griner USA loses--the Aussies was one.
As I said in another posting--I've become a fan. I really was impressed by how she interacted with the team and hung on the words of DT and Geno--smart woman.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For those waiting for Griner I hope you tuned into the first half of the Phoenix vs. Connecticut game. She was dominant with 15 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block and good defense in the lane as well as when she had to switch on small players.

In the words of Mulkey, "Pass it to Griner."

Her time with Geno may have saved her career. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner with a career high of 29 points tonight on 10-15 shooting from the floor, including a dunk on a pick-and-roll, and 9-11 from the FT line.

Blueconn, I hope you got to see the game. She scored in every way that you listed in the original post (strong to the basket, several hooks, several soft shots from the perimeter), except for the left hand, although we will trade the dunk for the left handed shot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Griner with a career high of 29 points tonight on 10-15 shooting from the floor, including a dunk on a pick-and-roll, and 9-11 from the FT line.

Blueconn, I hope you got to see the game.

Didn't see the game, but what a stat line for Griner. Too bad Diana pulled a Griner (ha) and barely showed up. Phoenix needs them both.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but what a stat line for Griner. Too bad Diana pulled a Griner (ha) and barely showed up. Phoenix needs them both.

Phoenix had 23 TOs and the guards still cannot keep the opposing guards from zipping by them and getting to the basket. Phoenix should have kept Courtney Williams. She still needs some more experience but she can flat out play the game. I am a big fan of hers. Whomever Phoenix got in that trade has not proven to be as good as Williams is proving to be.

Reaction Score
Phoenix had 23 TOs and the guards still cannot keep the opposing guards from zipping by them and getting to the basket. Phoenix should have kept Courtney Williams. She still needs some more experience but she can flat out play the game. I am a big fan of hers. Whomever Phoenix got in that trade has not proven to be as good as Williams is proving to be.
Kelsey Bone...

Everyone thought Conn got hosed in the trade, and Conn also gets the right to Jillian Alleyne, who I think, at worst should be a servicable back up post. I know Bone requested a trade, but she had to know she wasn't going to get a lot of playing time playing behind Griner/Dupree. I actually think San Antonio should go after Bone in a trade. She would be an upgrade over Appel and whoever they have at the 5.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kelsey Bone...

Everyone thought Conn got hosed in the trade, and Conn also gets the right to Jillian Alleyne, who I think, at worst should be a servicable back up post. I know Bone requested a trade, but she had to know she wasn't going to get a lot of playing time playing behind Griner/Dupree. I actually think San Antonio should go after Bone in a trade. She would be an upgrade over Appel and whoever they have at the 5.

That is actually a good idea. Phoenix could use a PG and Robinson would be a good fit in Phoenix. Let's pick up the phone and make it happen!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After that first half against NY I'm still waiting on Griner. That was about as pathetic first half performance as I have seen in the WNBA this season.

Tina Charles is just phenomenal. She is just a MONSTER tonight.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
After that first half against NY I'm still waiting on Griner. That was about as pathetic first half performance as I have seen in the WNBA this season.

Tina Charles is just phenomenal. She is just a MONSTER tonight.

She has all the tools to be great but has been so inconsistent. After a monster game, she follows up with 1-6 shooting, 2 points and 6 boards. If she can bring it at a high level night in night out, she'll be a top 3-4 player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom