Still waiting for Griner | The Boneyard

Still waiting for Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes...BG is often a defensive force that can change the entire offensive strategy of the opposition. But not as often as should be the case. Yes...she has a nice touch close in. But her reportroire is limited.

Watching her play over the past two weeks only seems to suggest that she's about the same in overall ability as she was in college.

Where's a hook shot ? Where's the left hand ? Where's the perimeter shot ? Where's the pick and roll, occasional dribbling, running the floor, and passes to open teammates ?

IMO, she was the third best center on Team USA. Four years ago the sports media tripped all over itself in searching for superlatives, as they relentlessly touted her as the most dominant female player ever. Not even close.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not quite as down on her as you seem, but I have been surprised this year at her foot speed and energy - it seems opponents have figured out that if you can occupy her away from the basket on defense she is often slow in reacting on help defense.
Offensively she was much more decisive and quick in making her moves with USA than she has been in the WNBA - will be curious to see how DT and Griner react when they start up the W campaign again.

Reaction Score
Yes...BG is often a defensive force that can change the entire offensive strategy of the opposition. But not as often as should be the case. Yes...she has a nice touch close in. But her reportroire is limited.

Watching her play over the past two weeks only seems to suggest that she's about the same in overall ability as she was in college.

Where's a hook shot ? Where's the left hand ? Where's the perimeter shot ? Where's the pick and roll, occasional dribbling, running the floor, and passes to open teammates ?

IMO, she was the third best center on Team USA. Four years ago the sports media tripped all over itself in searching for superlatives, as they relentlessly touted her as the most dominant female player ever. Not even close.
Oddly enough I noticed her play, at times, was poor on defense. All I could think about the whole time was that if Geno had her for four years she would be a completely unstoppable force. She seems to have all the physical tools but maybe she just needs some tough love coaching. This might seem a bit disrespectful towards Kim, but it is just what I see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oddly enough I noticed her play, at times, was poor on defense. All I could think about the whole time was that if Geno had her for four years she would be a completely unstoppable force. She seems to have all the physical tools but maybe she just needs some tough love coaching. This might seem a bit disrespectful towards Kim, but it is just what I see.
Always felt Kim was content to let Griner dominate in the low post and never pushed her to expand on her skills - if she had been challenged to take foul line jumpers (she is really good on foul shots) in college like Tina was, and then to extend that to the top of the key, she would be a true nightmare to guard.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Griner had her moments that's for sure. Tina and Sylvia could not contain Cambage, but Griner was equal to the task. But overall, her play was sporadic. At times she shined. At other times, she disappeared. Probably what you'd expect for a young woman on her first Olympic team... Still, I thought overall she was terrific.

Side note to the OP - who were the centers you felt were "better" than BG? Tina did not play the 5 for team USA. It was almost exclusively BG or Sylvia. At times Tina was the "5", but then again, at times EDD was the 5, so I'm not really sure you can say Tina played much at the 5...

I find it a bit sad to read threads like this one and the one criticizing Kia Nurse. These young ladies played their hearts out for God and Country, as they say, and I thought every single player on every single team did the absolute best they could. Are there things they can improve on? Of course. But... not my favorite threads for sure...

Reaction Score

Yep, she's not nearly as dominant in the pro and Olympic game as she was in college. By contrast, Tina Charles has developed tremendously since college. She's more agile, she's added a sky hook, as well as an effective mid-range jump shot. She gets down the court, and she's mobile enough to move all over the half court.

She is, however, leading the WNBA in both blocks per game, and blocks per 40 minutes. Have to give her that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep, she's not nearly as dominant in the pro and Olympic game as she was in college. By contrast, Tina Charles has developed tremendously since college. She's more agile, she's added a sky hook, as well as an effective mid-range jump shot. She gets down the court, and she's mobile enough to move all over the half court.

She is, however, leading the WNBA in both blocks per game, and blocks per 40 minutes. Have to give her that.
Well then I guess Tina was not properly developed in college - since she improved so much after leaving... :rolleyes:

BTW my comment was NOT meant for you - I generally agree with what you said, but wanted to simply point out that there are many UCONN players who have gotten much fitter, stronger, or better since leaving UCONN. I do agree that Geno and co. are the best coaches in the nation, but to imply that "Player X" would have been "so much better had she gone to UCONN..." often is just not true. Additionally, there are many examples of UCONN products getting significantly better AFTER leaving UCONN, and I don't hear fans blasting Geno as "not getting the most out of them", or "not developing them"...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
My dad and I watched all the games together and he was way more impressed with Tina than Griner. I think Griner's offensive skills could use some work - no outside shot, no hook shot, allows herself to get pushed off the block so easily. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
Griner is starting to show signs of learning how to play ball. She runs the floor, she's moving her feet on defense, she has a couple of OK moves under the basket. Fowles still plays more aggressive defense and has better moves under the basket, and Tina could run a clinic for her on both sides of the ball...BUT...she is showing signs of learning.

More importantly, signs of WANTING to learn. The fruits of teaming up with Diana Taurasi. Next Olympics, she should be able to be a problem under both baskets; 2024, she should DOMINATE the game.

Reaction Score
Griner had her moments that's for sure. Tina and Sylvia could not contain Cambage, but Griner was equal to the task.
Certainly, Britney's 4th quarter in the exhibition game against Australia was what won her the starting role in the Olympics. But even after Australia went out in the quarter finals, she continued to start, because, I believe, Geno & Co. saw continuous improvement and a worthy investment for future games against Cambage, especially.

Saw your post, HardHatGuy#2, as I was typing this and agree.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My dad and I watched all the games together and he was way more impressed with Tina than Griner. I think Griner's offensive skills could use some work - no outside shot, no hook shot, allows herself to get pushed off the block so easily. I don't get it.

I mentioned in another thread a sideline moment during the Olympics when Geno was reinforcing to Brittney "that" is how he wanted to see her playing all the time ... that was "aggressive". Consistent aggression took over 2 1/2 years for Tina, remember? I think Griner's personality is not naturally aggressive and she needs to work more on it along with the fuller panoply of offensive and defensive plays. I was also only half joking in seeing Brittney's hang out when she isn't "in season" being the Werth Center.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is a few years younger than Tina and Fowles. What will her game look like in a few years when she has the same amount of experience? We shall see.

As far as her not having an outside game in the Olympics, do you think Geno sent her on the court to shoot 15 footers? I didn't see Fowles taking any shots outside 5 feet, either. I'm pretty sure that Geno sent Griner out on the court to post up, not shoot from the outside.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I thought Griner played well during the Olympics, although the gold medal game was not her best due to her foul trouble.

I am proud of her development and have no doubt that she will continue to get better. I hope that when she has the same amount of experience that the other players have that she will continue to advance her game. I am proud of how hard she played for Geno and the way she represented the US.

Now, let's look at some stats to see why she didn't meet the standards of some.
  • Third in scoring with 9.8 points per game (behind only Taurasi and Moore, who took 20 and 23 more shots, respectively) although 8 other players averaged more minutes
  • 1st in rebounding (Tied with Charles, Moore and Fowles) at 5.6 per game
  • First in blocks
  • Shot 69% from the floor
What she did not do well is take care of the ball, leading the team in TOs, although only 3 more than Fowles, and fouls, although only two more than Fowles.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Griner sucks. Pure and simple. :rolleyes:

ETT, I disagree. To say that Brittany sucks point blank, is a bit harsh. Griner is a long way from "sucks". I was a BIG Griner fan during her Baylor days, and I still follow her career today. I agree she's not the player she should/could be give her stature and experience. I'll also agree that her game needs some work. I assume that because you're a Baylor fan, Griner let you down (or failed to live up to your expectations) a time or two during her college days.

Can you for a moment imagine how imposing Tina Charles would be if she were 6'9, and wore size 17 shoes"? Griner is still an imposing figure that every WNBA team would sign if she were to become a free agent.

Most of us could see the difference in her on-court performance during the Rio games. Geno and his staff obviously had an affect on her. It will be interesting to see if she can carryover the intensity and focus she acquired over the last month back to the W.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thought Griner played well during the Olympics, although the gold medal game was not her best due to her foul trouble.

I am proud of her development and have no doubt that she will continue to get better. I hope that when she has the same amount of experience that the other players have that she will continue to advance her game. I am proud of how hard she played for Geno and the way she represented the US.

Now, let's look at some stats to see why she didn't meet the standards of some.
  • Third in scoring with 9.8 points per game (behind only Taurasi and Moore, who took 20 and 23 more shots, respectively) although 8 other players averaged more minutes
  • 1st in rebounding (Tied with Charles, Moore and Fowles) at 5.6 per game
  • First in blocks
  • Shot 69% from the floor
What she did not do well is take care of the ball, leading the team in TOs, although only 3 more than Fowles, and fouls, although only two more than Fowles.

Sorry ETT, I did not read THIS comment before I replied to an earlier post of yours concerning Griner. If I had, I would have realized to you were being facetious. :oops:

Reaction Score
Hard to say BG is anything but one of the better centers BUT fair to call her Olympic play inconsistent. At times, didn't seem to be in the offense, missed several relatively easy short shot, miss handled easy lob passes, etc. Pushed out from what seemed like easy rebounds by smaller but more physical players. With the team's great results, perhaps we should file these under "nits" and celebrate the medal.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hard to say BG is anything but one of the better centers BUT fair to call her Olympic play inconsistent. At times, didn't seem to be in the offense, missed several relatively easy short shot, miss handled easy lob passes, etc. Pushed out from what seemed like easy rebounds by smaller but more physical players. With the team's great results, perhaps we should file these under "nits" and celebrate the medal.

Agreed that her play was inconsistent, but most of the time it was better than we see from her nightly in the W. I didn't mean for my prior post to sound like she dominated the paint and her opponents, she didn't. But she had her moments. I do watch a lot of Mercury games to see her and Dee. At times during a game, she simply disappears..........on both ends of the court.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree that BG still has a lot of improvements that she can make and I am sure that she will through continued hard work. But to start a thread calling her out as being a disappointment after after she just busted her chops to help the US win gold is in very poor taste. The greatest coach EVER chose to start her all eight games, so I guess his wisdom of who should start only applies to UCONN players?

BG was the 3rd leading scorer, first in blocks, tied for 1st in rebounds and she is considered a disappointment.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Can you for a moment imagine how imposing Tina Charles would be if she were 6'9, and wore size 17 shoes"?

If Charles were that much taller and her feet where that much bigger do you think she would move like Tina Charles or more like Brittney Griner? I'm not sure how foot size is an advantage unless players are allowed to take off their shoes to help them block shots. Charles has a few more years of experience on Griner so I should hope that she has developed more skills at this point in her career.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Anyway...like I said. I am proud of BG's effort how hard she worked. I felt like she learned a lot from Geno and the veteran players and I hope this experience will propel her onto bigger and better things and that she continues to play for USAB.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If Charles were that much taller and her feet where that much bigger do you think she would move like Tina Charles or more like Brittney Griner? I'm not sure how foot size is an advantage unless players are allowed to take off their shoes to help them block shots. Charles has a few more years of experience on Griner so I should hope that she has developed more skills at this point in her career.
FWIW, I was surprised tha Griner wasn't more dominant in the games based on her physical gifts.
That said, I felt she played well, not perfect, but perfection is strived for, never attained. What I do find interesting is the more I get to know her, the more she seems like a really pleasant young woman. I enjoy her relationship with Geno and Dee.

Britney's got a great future as a pro and with USA basketball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is this, from The Man: "Elena, Stewie (Breanna Stewart), B.G. (Brittney Griner), they’re part of the future and I hope they paid attention and learned from Sue, Tamika and Diana and even bigger the things that Sue and D and Tamika do off the court. I hope they were paying attention. On the court, they’re not going to have any issues, none whatsoever."

Additional Quotes: USA 101, Spain 72

Case closed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
ETT, I disagree. To say that Brittany sucks point blank, is a bit harsh. Griner is a long way from "sucks". I was a BIG Griner fan during her Baylor days, and I still follow her career today. I agree she's not the player she should/could be give her stature and experience. I'll also agree that her game needs some work. I assume that because you're a Baylor fan, Griner let you down (or failed to live up to your expectations) a time or two during her college days.

Can you for a moment imagine how imposing Tina Charles would be if she were 6'9, and wore size 17 shoes"? Griner is still an imposing figure that every WNBA team would sign if she were to become a free agent.

Most of us could see the difference in her on-court performance during the Rio games. Geno and his staff obviously had an affect on her. It will be interesting to see if she can carryover the intensity and focus she acquired over the last month back to the W.

If Tina were 6'9, she wouldn't be nearly as athletic as she is. And those size 17 shoes aren't doing any favors for foot speed.

People seem to think Griner should be more athletic than she is? She's a really big girl, a decent athlete for that size, but average athlete overall. That's not a criticism, just pointing out what she's working with.

Needs more time. No biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul