Stewie and Moriah named to Pan Am Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie and Moriah named to Pan Am Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm shocked that ASU's Sophie Brunner made the squad, especially since I'm reading that the Pan Am team is supposed to be the stronger team (vs. the WUG roster)?

She is an undersized 6'1" post and not athletic at all. Strong and hustles, though.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Courtney Williams (USF) make the WUG roster.

Wrong Courtney Williams- According to UConnCat, it's Courtney B. Williams who made the team, and she's the kid from Texas A&M.

-And I have to agree with you, Kat- saw Brunner (slowww) play several times and was not impressed, at all. The selections of Coyer and Harper also had me scratching my head. Seems better kids were left off team.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Courtney B Williams -- Pan Am team
Courtney M Williams -- WUGs team

Reaction Score
Wrong Courtney Williams- According to UConnCat, it's Courtney B. Williams who made the team, and she's the kid from Texas A&M.

-And I have to agree with you, Kat- saw Brunner (slowww) play several times and was not impressed, at all. The selections of Coyer and Harper also had me scratching my head. Seems better kids were left off team.

Yeah, I had the same impression of Brunner–EXTREMELY slow! But to her credit, when she knows she can't run to a ball first, she at least dives for it. But ASU as a TEAM is much greater than its individual parts, so I'm surprised anyone made the USA squad. Not sure if she participated, but if anyone had a shot I would've guessed it would be their clutch/deadly 3-point shooter Hempen. But good for Brunner.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I'm glad somebody can keep up with all the names and faces . . .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm shocked that ASU's Sophie Brunner made the squad, especially since I'm reading that the Pan Am team is supposed to be the stronger team (vs. the WUG roster)?

She is an undersized 6'1" post and not athletic at all. Strong and hustles, though.

USA BB is trying to put together a team. Teams need players who are willing to grab rebounds, set screens, dive for loose balls and not gripe about playing time. Sounds like she'll be that type of player.

Reaction Score
The 2011 PanAm team finished 7th, and I guarantee USAB wants a better showing this year. I assume this had something to do with the selections.

I thought they would put Stewart on the WUG team, since she was on the 2011 PanAm team, but they didn't.
Stewie might have had something to say about which team she wanted to be on. The only USA team she has been on ,and not gotten the gold was when she was in high school, and didn't win the PanAm games.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I envision a starting 5 of Moriah and Mitchell in the backcourt and Stewie, Mavunga and Coates in the frontcourt. Not sure what the competition will look like, but that's a helluva starting five, though I don't see great depth when it comes to the bigs. I love Mavunga in the middle- she isn't the biggest kid (6'3") but she's a beast inside. She and Coates should allow Stewie great freedom in her play. And I can't imagine a guard tandem any scarier than Mo and Mitchell. It's gonna be fun to watch this team.

I doubt they would start Stewart, Mavunga, and Coates together. Stewart has some guard-like skills but to me she is a 4 all the way (actually listed as F/C by USAB) and Mavunga and Coates are true posts as well. Playing all 3 together would be bad for spacing. Stewart is much more valuable at 4 where the threat of her outside game can suck opposing 4s out of the paint. Also, she's better off guarding opposing posts so that she's closer to the rim. Her shot-blocking is wasted away from the basket and Mavunga and Coates would get scorched on the perimeter.

If you only start two of those--for the sake of argument I'll say Stewart and Mavunga--then you have Coates and Reimer coming off the bench, which I think gives us very solid depth - barring injuries, of course.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's not correct. The FIBA Americas tournament serves as the regional qualifier. The tournament this year will be in Edmonton.
And the USA only sends a team to that event in the years where it has not won Gold at the last WC/Olympics so I believe 2007 was the last time they competed after finishing 3rd at the worlds.

Reaction Score
Harper seems to play better when not in kentucky uniform. Or at least I hear about her more in the offseason.

Reaction Score
My starting 5: Mo, Plum, Mitchell, the GOAT, Coates. Im not being sarcastic neither. I've finally admitted that Stewart makes my all time most exciting college players to watch list ... Maya Moore, Alexis Jones, Seimone Augustus, A. Beard, and now Stewart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom