Stephanie Mavunga
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B Williams

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What's the difference between this team and the WUG team? Is the Pan Am team a year older?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What's the difference between this team and the WUG team? Is the Pan Am team a year older?

The Pan Am teams can include any college or professional player but the US is sending only college players. The WUG team can include student athletes between the ages of 17 and 28 who are either enrolled in a university or have not been out for more than a year.

The competition at the Pan Am games should be tougher than at the WUGs.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The competition at the Pan Am games should be tougher than at the WUGs.

Both teams are stacked with great talent.... but that USA Pan Am team.. WOW. Of course I don't know the international rosters.. but I don't see how they lose.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I would think the WUG will have tougher competition.
Isn't the Pan Am games limited to North, Central and South American teams? Other than Brazil are there a lot womens pros for the other teams?
The last WUG, in Russia in 2013, had several pro's on many of the teams,, including the semi finalists, Australia and finalists, in Russia.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both teams are stacked with great talent.... but that USA Pan Am team.. WOW. Of course I don't know the international rosters.. but I don't see how they lose.

I can see how they lose. They'll be going up against national teams that have played together before and include some professional players. Canada is sending its national team that finished 5th in the world championships in Istanbul.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
The 2011 PanAm team finished 7th, and I guarantee USAB wants a better showing this year. I assume this had something to do with the selections.

I thought they would put Stewart on the WUG team, since she was on the 2011 PanAm team, but they didn't.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The 2011 PanAm team finished 7th, and I guarantee USAB wants a better showing this year. I assume this had something to do with the selections.

I thought they would put Stewart on the WUG team, since she was on the 2011 PanAm team, but they didn't.

The 2011 Pan Am games were played in October, which had a lot to do with the team and its finish. The best college players (and their coaches) did not want to miss practice time with their collegiate teams. The best college players played in the WUGs during the summer of 2011. Stewart was the best player on the Pan Am team (the only to average double figures) and she was still in high school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I would think the WUG will have tougher competition.
Isn't the Pan Am games limited to North, Central and South American teams? Other than Brazil are there a lot womens pros for the other teams?
The last WUG, in Russia in 2013, had several pro's on many of the teams,, including the semi finalists, Australia and finalists, in Russia.

Although the Pan Am games are limited to a handful of countries, those countries send their senior national teams. Canada, the host country, is sending its sr national team that finished 5th at the 2014 world championships. It'll be interesting to see if de Souza and Dantas leave their WNBA teams to play for Brazil.

As for the WUGs, Australia's 2013 team did include Tolo and Burton, both of whom made the 2014 sr national team but I didn't recognize the other players. Tolo is very good; Burton is an okay player. I didn't recognize players on the Russian team, though they were tall. The USA pretty much cruised to a gold in the 2011 games but that team was exceptionally good; the Australia game was fairly close but the US beat the 2nd place Taiwan team by about 50 points. The 2013 games included some fairly close games against Australia and Russia.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How is it determined who tries out for each team? Nina Davis is an AA and was trying out for the World University Games and here we have Reimer making a team which includes the other returning AAs.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
How is it determined who tries out for each team? Nina Davis is an AA and was trying out for the World University Games and here we have Reimer making a team which includes the other returning AAs.

Both teams have different qualifications, but tend to be collegiate players. Players trying out for the Pan Am and WU games are entered into a joint pool where they are selected for a particular team.

Reaction Score
I beleive Canada is sending their national team to the Pan Am games, which has Nurse, Achonwa, Plouffe sisters, Thorburn and Smith (who have pleyed in the WNBA in the past plus year in Europe), etc. This is basically the same team that finished 5th in the Worlds last year. Not sure which team Brazil will send, but US may not be the favorites.

Reaction Score
Although the Pan Am games are limited to a handful of countries, those countries send their senior national teams. Canada, the host country, is sending its sr national team that finished 5th at the 2014 world championships. It'll be interesting to see if de Souza and Dantas leave their WNBA teams to play for Brazil.

As for the WUGs, Australia's 2013 team did include Tolo and Burton, both of whom made the 2014 sr national team but I didn't recognize the other players. Tolo is very good; Burton is an okay player. I didn't recognize players on the Russian team, though they were tall. The USA pretty much cruised to a gold in the 2011 games but that team was exceptionally good; the Australia game was fairly close but the US beat the 2nd place Taiwan team by about 50 points. The 2013 games included some fairly close games against Australia and Russia.
Yo Cat - You really know your stuff. I appreciate the detailed info since I am less knowledgeable about the International games/teams/players/rules/opportunities. Boneyard has been enlightening to me on several topics. Thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some of the National team players may opt out of the PanAm games if they are under contract to WNBA teams - it is still their National team just short some of the stars. That is the reason the USA team is college players - the National team players are only called on for the Worlds, Olympics, and Pre-Worlds/Olympics qualifying (if they did't get a direct qualification.) The USA record in the WUG and PanAm are worse than either the age specific or national team competitions because they do not send their best quality players for those competitions.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The USA record in the WUG and PanAm are worse than either the age specific or national team competitions because they do not send their best quality players for those competitions.

That's not true of the WUGs over the past 10 years. The USA has won the gold medal in 4 of the last 5 WUGs (2013, 2011, 2009, 2005) and has done so by sending its best collegiate players. USA BB did not put together a team in 2007, the college team from UNC-Charlotte represented the US and finished 6th.

The WUGs have been around since 1973 (except 1975) and the US has won 9 Gold, 6 Silver and 1 Bronze. The other finishes were 5th (once) and 6th (twice).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's not true of the WUGs over the past 10 years. The USA has won the gold medal in 4 of the last 5 WUGs (2013, 2011, 2009, 2005) and has done so by sending its best collegiate players. USA BB did not put together a team in 2007, the college team from UNC-Charlotte represented the US and finished 6th.

The WUGs have been around since 1973 (except 1975) and the US has won 9 Gold, 6 Silver and 1 Bronze. The other finishes were 5th (once) and 6th (twice).
Well - the USA team for WUG could include players from this years WNBA draft (and possibly last years as well?) but never does. And it does not include the NPOY or the Lieberman award winner - both might have made the team if the USA was sending the national team to the Pan Am games. And in the same time period (1973) the National team has won 14 Golds, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze, with one 8th place finish and one boycott. (7 Olympic Golds, one silver and one bronze - WC, 7 Golds, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze, and the 1 8th place.) A better overall record. Same goes for the age group teams overall except for the Youth Olympics (1 Gold, 1 Bronze)

Reaction Score
Some of the National team players may opt out of the PanAm games if they are under contract to WNBA teams - it is still their National team just short some of the stars. That is the reason the USA team is college players - the National team players are only called on for the Worlds, Olympics, and Pre-Worlds/Olympics qualifying (if they did't get a direct qualification.) The USA record in the WUG and PanAm are worse than either the age specific or national team competitions because they do not send their best quality players for those competitions.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Pan Am games competition serves as a Regional qualifier for the Olympic Games. Since the U.S. is an automatic qualifier, they don't have to send the National Team to that competition. Therefore, to make sure the WNBA has all of its U.S. resources, they send a team of college players instead. It is unfortunate in one way; the younger members of the National Team pool would benefit from the international exposure, which could mean the difference in successfully competing for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team. It will certainly help Stewie in her quest to make that squad.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Pan Am games competition serves as a Regional qualifier for the Olympic Games. Since the U.S. is an automatic qualifier, they don't have to send the National Team to that competition. Therefore, to make sure the WNBA has all of its U.S. resources, they send a team of college players instead. It is unfortunate in one way; the younger members of the National Team pool would benefit from the international exposure, which could mean the difference in successfully competing for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team. It will certainly help Stewie in her quest to make that squad.

That's not correct. The FIBA Americas tournament serves as the regional qualifier. The tournament this year will be in Edmonton.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Courtney Williams (USF) make the WUG roster.

Reaction Score
as expected.

Pan Am team:

Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Tiffany Mitchell
Sophie Brunner
Alaina Coates
Caroline Coyer
Linnae Harper
Stephanie Mavunga
Kelsey Plum
Taya Reimer
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Courtney B Williams

I envision a starting 5 of Moriah and Mitchell in the backcourt and Stewie, Mavunga and Coates in the frontcourt. Not sure what the competition will look like, but that's a helluva starting five, though I don't see great depth when it comes to the bigs. I love Mavunga in the middle- she isn't the biggest kid (6'3") but she's a beast inside. She and Coates should allow Stewie great freedom in her play. And I can't imagine a guard tandem any scarier than Mo and Mitchell. It's gonna be fun to watch this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom