Stewart, KML, JEFFERSON(!) Named USWBA All-Americans | The Boneyard

Stewart, KML, JEFFERSON(!) Named USWBA All-Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewarts, KML, and Moriah Jefferson were officially named USWBA All Americans today. Looks like Moriah has officially earned her place on the wall!

Here is the link to the story: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/033115aaa.html

The Complete Ten Player team is:

Nina Davis, Baylor (So.)

Moriah Jefferson, UConn (Jr.)

Samantha Logic, Iowa (Jr.)

Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame (Jr.)

Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State (Fr.)

Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina (Jr.)

Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, UConn (Sr.)

Breanna Stewart, UConn (Jr.)

Elizabeth Williams, Duke (Sr.)

Amanda Zahiu B., Minnesota (So.)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Ya know, I feel like Elizabeth Williams is still questionable for me... Never really saw her as elite and maybe that's not her fault maybe it's more of the way her team plays. Or maybe it is her fault idk. She has never really stood out to me. Either way, congrats to them all.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell is impressive, the only freshman on the team! How many freshmen have made it other than Breanna Stewart? This girl is going to break KML's 3-pointer record when she graduates.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Stewie, KML and MoJeff (who is also known as the best PG in WBB)!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go , Mo !!!!!!!! (and Stewie and KML of course)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
According to Jim Fuller making this All American team does not qualify for Wall of Honor. He's saying the WBCA team.

Reaction Score
A great accomplishment for the Huskies that made the list and I know it would be "unusual" for a team to have 4 starters in the top 10, but I wonder if there might be a coach, or 300 that would secretly take Morgan Tuck in the top 10 if they had their pick of the litter.

Let's just hope the outstanding UConn forward is one day recognized as the 1st team AA talent she is.

HGN

Reaction Score
According to Jim Fuller making this All American team does not qualify for Wall of Honor. He's saying the WBCA team.
WBCA or USWBA , what's an alphabet here or there in this case ? Mo should get the recognition she deserves.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Didn't know Fuller had a vote for this.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The main point is that Moriah has made USWBA AA and second-team AP AA, both of which seem to indicate that she's perceived as a top 10 player. I would expect that making these teams and confirming that perception further bolsters the probability she'll make the WBCA team within the week.

In other words, Mo-riah has the Mo-mentum.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not believe walling requirements have been set in stone or typed even - 1st team AA is the criterion that has been used, but I am not sure which teams have been identified as wall worthy vs. those that are not. I also suspect that say a Lieberman award for a player never voted to an AA team might be added as an exception to AA status.

Reaction Score
I do not believe walling requirements have been set in stone or typed even - 1st team AA is the criterion that has been used, but I am not sure which teams have been identified as wall worthy vs. those that are not. I also suspect that say a Lieberman award for a player never voted to an AA team might be added as an exception to AA status.
Thought it was WBCA (formerly Kodak & State Farm). Regardless, doubt you're going to see a Lieberman award winner who isn't also an AA - especailly on this 10-person AA team

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Hypothetically speaking,what would happen if a UConn player didn't make AA until the end of her senior season, which would be after Senior Night? Has this ever happened? When would they have a special ceremony?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

mo_jeff_on_wall.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hypothetically speaking,what would happen if a UConn player didn't make AA until the end of her senior season, which would be after Senior Night? Has this ever happened? When would they have a special ceremony?

This is a VERY good question, and I've wondered the exact same thing. My guess is that it hasn't happened before, as my understanding was the Wall was introduced in 2006. Subsequent additions to the Wall were WBCA and/or AP first team AAs in their junior years or before.

Reaction Score
When they started putting jerseys on the wall there were several to make up, with past AA players. They had a ceremony and not all of the honorees could even attend, but several came back for it. Doesn't necessarily have to be on senior night.

Reaction Score
Ok, Here it is. When this Huskie of Honor thing started, Geno said the criteria was 1st Team All American. He did not specify WBCA, AP, USWBA or otherwise. Just 1st Team AA.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If UConn wins the NC after an outgoing senior gets first-team AA for the first time, they probably will unveil the name if there's a celebration at Gampel. Shabazz Napier was thusly honored, was he not? Kemba Walker was too, even though he was a junior.

Reaction Score
USBWA ANNOUNCES 2014-2015
WOMEN'S ALL-AMERICA TEAM

"ST. LOUIS (USBWA)
The Connecticut Huskies, the nation's top-ranked team, dominate the 2014-15 U.S. Basketball Writers Association Women's All-America Team, as selected by the entire association membership. The 10-woman team features two back-to-back honorees.

For the second straight season, the Huskies placed three players on the team – Moriah Jefferson, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Breanna Stewart – marking just the third time that has happened. Stewart is the reigning Ann Meyers Drysdale Award winner as the USBWA's National Player of the Year. Tennessee had three USBWA All-Americans in the 1998-99 season (Tamika Catchings, Chamique Holdsclaw and Semeka Randall). UConn will battle with three other No. 1 seeds at the NCAA Final Four the weekend in Tampa, Fla.

Stewart and Notre Dame's Jewell Loyd are the two players who were selected to the team last season, while Mosqueda-Lewis was a member of the team two years ago. Loyd, who has led the Fighting Irish to the Final Four, and Duke's Elizabeth Williams have each previously won the USBWA's National Freshman of the Year Award."

[LINK] to full article.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score

The only two people that are on the USBWA list and not on the wall of honor are Stewart and Jefferson. That would be pretty sad if Jefferson ended up being the only person on the USBWA list from UCONN and does not make the wall.....hence I would have to agree with the others that an 1st team AA by any other name is still as sweet and Wallable......

Reaction Score
That is my favorite gal Moriah!!!!!! She does nothing wrong in my eyes!!!! And to have her on the wall..... Congratulations!!!!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell is impressive, the only freshman on the team! How many freshmen have made it other than Breanna Stewart? This girl is going to break KML's 3-pointer record when she graduates.
From what I've seen I believe she is just the fourth freshmen to make the list, please correct me if I'm wrong. I know she's the first Buckeye freshmen ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom