Stewart and Chong | The Boneyard

Stewart and Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been watching some tapes since we got home. Looks to me like:

CHONG is playing with a surprising "crispness," for lack of a better term. Since her first couple of games, which were quite productive, as a frosh, she has seemed so mincing and tentative (and I attribute that to the interaction of her personality and Geno's coaching style). Now, the way she moves, the way she passes, the way she directs the half-court sets, the way she shoots, and the way she drives all seem to me to have a nifty crispness. Anyone see something like that? (Am glad to give the coaches a lot of credit for the resurgence; in fact, it's not only a resurgence from her high school performance, it's a substantial expansion and improvement overall and I hope it will be sustained. Enjoyable to watch)

STEWART: parallel to the CRISP play of Chong, I see incredible ENERGY from Stewart. That young woman is all over the place on these tapes; going for loose balls, going for rebounds, flying around the court to attempt or deliver a block . Have never seen her play with such constant intensity. Yes? No? Observations?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I have always had a decidedly different view of Chong's performance on the court from a vocal group that seemed intent on finding fault with everything she did, even when stats showed she was holding her own last year with some of the most highly touted frosh in the country and she pounded in the points against Stanford both years. She's done well, even if a few posters wanted to post figures like she did at Ossining. But she's our local hero in my part of NY, so I might be more forgiving than those who for some reason thought she should be the next superstar.

Chong's defense has always been underrarted, and she fights through picks, doesn't lose her man, always darting glances all around her to locate picks and cutters, and her long arms that are always up and making shooters back further up to launch misses. She has a style of movement that might be described as "mincing" but which I think is more like "controlled short steps and a frame that is ready to explode. It looks like she has the ability to be a terror on steals if she took more risks, but also seems determined not to make a move that opens up the defense. Now that the reserves are shaping into a potent group, her stats are getting a chance to surge as the associate PG.

Reaction Score
Chong has improved defensively exponentially.
Especially since the Bigs started stuffing the ball down the opponents throats every time they try to drive...

j/k

Reaction Score
I have always had a decidedly different view of Chong's performance on the court from a vocal group that seemed intent on finding fault with everything she did, even when stats showed she was holding her own last year with some of the most highly touted frosh in the country and she pounded in the points against Stanford both years. She's done well, even if a few posters wanted to post figures like she did at Ossining. But she's our local hero in my part of NY, so I might be more forgiving than those who for some reason thought she should be the next superstar.

Chong's defense has always been underrarted, and she fights through picks, doesn't lose her man, always darting glances all around her to locate picks and cutters, and her long arms that are always up and making shooters back further up to launch misses. She has a style of movement that might be described as "mincing" but which I think is more like "controlled short steps and a frame that is ready to explode. It looks like she has the ability to be a terror on steals if she took more risks, but also seems determined not to make a move that opens up the defense. Now that the reserves are shaping into a potent group, her stats are getting a chance to surge as the associate PG.
The only thing I've seen about her play (not so much the last couple of games) is that she was committing herself to early when she drove the middle. She would just throw up a wild shot or get blocked.
The coaches probably pointed this out to her but she needs to keep her head up and just pass or dribble through the middle if nothing is there.

Oh, yeah...embrace the pull-up jumper, Saniya and use the glass. ;-)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Chong's defense has always been underrarted,
Geno and I would disagree. Her defense has been left wanting til recently. She is doing much better now though. I don't know if it was effort, technique or awareness, but whatever it is, it's working now.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Geno and I would disagree. Her defense has been left wanting til recently. She is doing much better now though. I don't know if it was effort, technique or awareness, but whatever it is, it's working now.
But both you and Geno are probably also carping that Kiah lets too many shots get within 10 feet of the basket. When has Geno ever been happy with any player's defense not named Kelly F.? And for all players there is a huge learning curve from when they enter UConn to the end of their senior year. But for many games I have been watching Chong on defense and how well she sees the action and keeps her player in check, and how she helps spark a lot of Husky runs. She also doesn't turn the ball over much, and that is an under appreciated part of being a good defender since TO's often lead to quick points for the other team.

But sure I know, Saniya couldn't guard a chair even if it had no arms and was nailed to the floor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But for many games I have been watching Chong on defense and how well she sees the action and keeps her player in check, and how she helps spark a lot of Husky runs.
Umm, you must have only been watching the last few (a couple weeks) games. And I agree she has been much better, actually good, in those game defensively. (As you'll notice she's been getting more time and doing better.) However, prior to that, her defense was not very good. Like I said whatever clicked for her, effort, technique or awareness, it's working and she's doing well on defense NOW.

She also doesn't turn the ball over much, and that is an under appreciated part of being a good defender since TO's often lead to quick points for the other team.
As it should be, because it really has nothing to do with being a good defensive player. Which is what we are talking about.

Sitting on the bench gives up 0 TOs and never gets beaten off the dribble. But also has nothing to do with being a good defender.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, I thought giving up the ball to a defender who takes it in for an easy lay up did affect your team's defensive totals a bit. I also thought I heard numerous people like Geno state that the offense starts with the defense getting the team into transition for easy baskets, and flipping that around, if you're turning the ball over for the opponents' easy baskets, you're killing your defense. Kind of thought offense and defense went kind of hand-in-hand, and being sloppy with the ball cut into your defensive image. If Kelly had had an 0.93 A\TO ratio instead of a 1.93, would we still consider her a supreme defensive player?

But sure, maybe handling the ball well has nothing to do with helping a team's defense.

I have rewatched some of the early games in the season, and haven't been able to locate the klutzy slacker that lets teams go on huge runs to close the gap, in fact it's usually been the opposite except near the end of blow-outs with a less skilled cast when she has usually been one of the two best defenders on the floor. She has gotten better and more in sync with Nurse on the defense, but she has never been the lodestone that the legion of carpers carved her out to be.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Um, I thought giving up the ball to a defender who takes it in for an easy lay up did affect your team's defensive totals a bit.
Sure, but that doesn't have anything to do with being a good or bad defensive player.

If Kelly had had an 0.93 A\TO ratio instead of a 1.93, would we still consider her a supreme defensive player?
ummm YES, cause that doesn't have anything to do with being a good defensive player. Are you being obtuse or do you really not understand this??

I have rewatched some of the early games in the season, and haven't been able to locate the klutzy slacker that lets teams go on huge runs to close the gap, in fact it's usually been the opposite except near the end of blow-outs with a less skilled cast when she has usually been one of the two best defenders on the floor. She has gotten better and more in sync with Nurse on the defense, but she has never been the lodestone that the legion of carpers carved her out to be.
Well then you are just not very observant. Or just don't know basketball very well. It was pretty obvious she was not defending very well. She lost her man quite often, got lost on switches and wasn't very good at 1v1 defending. There were a few times earlier in the year when she would come in, immediately give up an easy basket or get blown by and make the defense have to compensate. She'd have a couple instances of this and Geno would pull her right out.

HOWEVER, as I said, she has improved a lot. So she's getting pretty good now. This is a good thing. Don't worry about what she used to be.

I'm just not sure if it's effort (just working harder and moving keeping your hands up, etc.), technique (the way you move your feet, the way you cut angles, etc.) or awareness (knowing the oppositions tendencies, where they want to go, where you want them to go, where you help defenders are, etc.). Probably a combination of all three.

Come on Dobbs, WTH?

Reaction Score
Sure, but that doesn't have anything to do with being a good or bad defensive player.

ummm YES, cause that doesn't have anything to do with being a good defensive player. Are you being obtuse or do you really not understand this??

Well then you are just not very observant. Or just don't know basketball very well. It was pretty obvious she was not defending very well. She lost her man quite often, got lost on switches and wasn't very good at 1v1 defending. There were a few times earlier in the year when she would come in, immediately give up an easy basket or get blown by and make the defense have to compensate. She'd have a couple instances of this and Geno would pull her right out.

HOWEVER, as I said, she has improved a lot. So she's getting pretty good now. This is a good thing. Don't worry about what she used to be.

I'm just not sure if it's effort (just working harder and moving keeping your hands up, etc.), technique (the way you move your feet, the way you cut angles, etc.) or awareness (knowing the oppositions tendencies, where they want to go, where you want them to go, where you help defenders are, etc.). Probably a combination of all three.

Come on Dobbs, WTH?
Exactly what was she supposed to do? Run the pick setter over along with whomever was guarding her? A pick is a pick. You're blocked away from the dribbler and the pickee is supposed to pick up the shooter. They didn't do that in the Stanford game.
Do you know basketball very well?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Come on Dobbs, WTH?
Um, I've been watching from the start. I see Saniya with hands up on defense, peeling off to get to her man, helping to compensate when the newbies on the team mess up on D. If anything, Geno was likely mad that she wasn't doing more to instruct other less experienced players about where to be on the floor, and growing into a veteran's role is never easy. Working with new teammates means you have to begin over again on a lot of things, but smearing her for "little lost girl" defense when I saw many opponents nail 3s over MoJeff and Nurse without anyone making a peep. No, it was just tat "old" Saniya who had the issues and was messing up the UConn D, because of course as soon as she comes in the opponents start cruising!!! Check the Play-by-Play for game after game and you'll see how ridiculous your comments are.

Sure, you can lead the legion of carpers who blamed Chong for the Stanford loss even though you see many Huskies messing up on defense. But really, get a clue and watch the games a bit, because pulling the old "Saniya just saw Plastic Geno and suddenly learned how to play defense after a year and a half" is just too dumb to give a gas expulsion over.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Exactly what was she supposed to do? Run the pick setter over along with whomever was guarding her? A pick is a pick. You're blocked away from the dribbler and the pickee is supposed to pick up the shooter. They didn't do that in the Stanford game.
Watch Jefferson. Then you'll learn.

Reaction Score

You don't simply just get run into a pick and throw your hands up and say "the hell with it I got picked". A good defender knows to go over a pick against a jump shooter, go under a pick against a penetrator, and to guard the back door roll when their teammate hedges hard on the switch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Um, I've been watching from the start. I see Saniya with hands up on defense, peeling off to get to her man, helping to compensate when the newbies on the team mess up on D. If anything, Geno was likely mad that she wasn't doing more to instruct other less experienced players about where to be on the floor, and growing into a veteran's role is never easy. Working with new teammates means you have to begin over again on a lot of things, but smearing her for "little lost girl" defense when I saw many opponents nail 3s over MoJeff and Nurse without anyone making a peep. No, it was just tat "old" Saniya who had the issues and was messing up the UConn D, because of course as soon as she comes in the opponents start cruising!!! Check the Play-by-Play for game after game and you'll see how ridiculous your comments are.
Sorry, you are just out to lunch on this one. I guess there is no getting it for you. I can try and explain, but I can't make you understand. You are usually better than this Dobbs. What's up with you???

Sure, you can lead the legion of carpers who blamed Chong for the Stanford loss even though you see many Huskies messing up on defense. But really, get a clue and watch the games a bit, because pulling the old "Saniya just saw Plastic Geno and suddenly learned how to play defense after a year and a half" is just too dumb to give a gas expulsion over.
I don't blame Chong for the Stanford loss. I'm not smearing her. You are definitely reading me wrong. I like Chong. I think she is playing great lately. It just wasn't so earlier in the year. She's improved. That's a good thing. Not a bad thing. Not sure why you think that is a bad thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You don't simply just get run into a pick and throw your hands up and say "the hell with it I got picked". A good defender knows to go over a pick against a jump shooter, go under a pick against a penetrator, and to guard the back door roll when their teammate hedges hard on the switch.
Exactly. There seem to be a couple on here who do not understand defense.

Reaction Score

Well, now that gas is under $2.00 per gallon, there's no use holding on to it. Feel free.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So back in the height of the "horrible D Saniya" period when she was being ripped for her defense, I posted a note in a thread asking people to look at what had happened in the last game against DePaul that they were all over her about. UConn starters were struggling and DePaul was scoring a lot and actually had been holding the lead and it's now 6 minutes into the game and it's tied and Geno has seen enough. Chong enters the game and the Huskies are off and running to a big lead. Chong comes out with UConn way up and then reenters later on the half to help key another big run. While she was on the court the Huskies outscored DePaul by 19-5. The rest of the time it was 34-28.

Now critics will likely just say that Chong had nothing to do with UConn's good fortunes and that she should also be entirely to blame for the 5 points that DePaul scored. They also somehow think that Geno was putting Chong in at critical parts of the first half against decent teams because he wanted the opponents to run up the score on UConn.

My suggestion is not to assume that because a player is struggling a little on offense that her defense is terrible. Bad defenders do not get on the court for UConn in the first half of big games.

Last edited by a moderator:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"...clueless posters"
"...factless fatheads"
"...the clueless sort"
"...Just mindless."

Great stuff! May I suggest a new avatar?

straw man 2.jpg

Reaction Score
Chong has improved defensively exponentially.
She needed to. I was at a loss earlier in the year that she was getting any playing time because I always felt that Geno's philosophy was if you aren't doing it on the defensive side, you weren't going to play. It appears, as you said, that she's started playing reasonably well defensively and as a UConn fan, how could you not be happy about that?

Reaction Score
I just wanted to say that anyone who thought Saniya played anything remotely like good or even decent defense against Stanford earlier this year is off base. It was blatantly bad and was a major reason why Stanford was able to tie the game in the waning moments of regulation and win in overtime. If you don't think Geno and even Saniya were very upset about it, you'd be dead wrong. When you stop to think about Saniya, she has some great attributes but in particular her speed and quickness so there's not really any reason that she can't and shouldn't be a good or maybe eseven outstanding defensive player. Since that game it looks like she's really made some major strides on that end of the court. You've got to give her and the coaching staff a lot of credit for that and so that's where we are now. She was a weakness defensively and now it appears she's started to become a big asset so why would any UConn fan be upset about that. I hope that she's a major player in winning our 10th national championship this year and all I can say is, Go Huskies!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Saniya's defense at the beginning of the season was atrocious. She consistently let her man drive baseline, forcing help to come over and making UConn's defense rotate, which often leads to fouls on the helper or the second help. She got beat off the dribble, picked on backdoors and on-ball screens, and lost her man in transition. These are all basic defensive principles, and she did not excel at any of them.

HOWEVER, the past few games she has looked more comfortable in UConn's defensive scheme, which is actually very complicated and requires each player to know what the other four are doing. (Switching on jump shooters? Hedging on screens or going around? Under or over on-ball screens? Backdoor help coming from the offside, etc). It's not as easy as just knowing who you are guarding, and Saniya has gotten better at playing well within the team's defensive scheme.

JS

Reaction Score
"...clueless posters"
"...factless fatheads"
"...the clueless sort"
"...Just mindless."

Great stuff! May I suggest a new avatar?

View attachment 8421
Mike, due to some editing it may be at least slightly unclear where these epithets came from. But I left your non-exhaustive sampling up as visual aids for a point I want to make.

We had a couple of Reports on the post to which you're responding. One of them suggested that, for purposes of the board rule against name-calling, it shouldn't matter that the targets aren't identified by name.

After giving it some thought, I tend to agree. The alternative would be trying to decide in each case how obvious it is who the targets are. You'd get into such variable things as the subject matter and proximity of their posts, and it'd become too subjective.

So those with a tendency toward vituperation, please confine your remarks to the subject at hand and skip the invective toward other posters who disagree with you. Bear in mind that anonymity of your targets will not be a defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom