State of program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

State of program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's amazing and hilarious to read the cuse board. Their fans think they are in much better shape than us going forward.

We have KO a total stud who recruits are going to start lining up for.

They have old whiny JB who will be done in two years. No coach in waiting. And we are LOADED with upcoming talent. They think they're so golden just because they're in the ACC, which clearly doesn't guarantee anything and as usual is proving to be massively overrated.

Our future looks bright. Amazing considering the sanctions, APR bs and JC leaving. We're playing in MSG for a chance to go to the final four the exact next year after the ban was lifted. Amazing.

Reaction Score
True, the '99 team was ranked #1 for part of the season. But if you recall, that was also the tourney that earned the moniker "Duke Invitational" until that fateful 77-74 Monday night. Nine and a half point dogs, remember?

That Duke team was touted as one of the greatest teams in BB history.
I was at the Eastern Finals at the Meadowlands and they were scary.
Actually no one in the finals were close .
They kind of lucked out as the two most athletic teams ,Cinn, and Miami were beaten by Purdue and a Temple. Better coached teams but lacking the physical ability to stay with Duke. Both Cinncy, and Miami were incredibly athletic . That kind of created an False aura of invincibility. Which played right into our hands.

As I noted in my previous post, I'd prefer the 3-4 year NBA types to the 1-2 year
kind. I'm not disagreeing we need NBA calibre talent, but I'm also confident Ollie can get to the promised land w/o 5-star projected lottery picks while coaching his 3-and-4 stars up. We've done it before.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As I noted in my previous post, I'd prefer the 3-4 year NBA types to the 1-2 year
kind. I'm not disagreeing we need NBA calibre talent, but I'm also confident Ollie can get to the promised land w/o 5-star projected lottery picks while coaching his 3-and-4 stars up. We've done it before.

I think where there is a slight disconnect is that we get a number of 5 stars who aren't 1 and dones. For instance, next year we've got Daniel Hamilton (5 star) coming in.

I think the general consensus on here is that most people don't want one and dones. UK would be a miserable school to route for. I'd prefer to get as many 5 stars as possible though (ones who'll stay for 2+ years). As I said before, I'd take another Caron Butler in an instant.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think the general consensus on here is that most people don't want one and dones. UK would be a miserable school to route for. I'd prefer to get as many 5 stars as possible though (ones who'll stay for 2+ years). As I said before, I'd take another Caron Butler in an instant.
I don't know... I'd have been thrilled to get Vonleh, who is very likely to be a lottery pick this summer. And if we can get the next Jabari Parker, then we absolutely sign him.

The one-and-dones that go on to become NBA stars create equity for their college program, equity that matters for neutral fans, TV networks, and more potential recruits. Drummond was a disappointment with us, but every time he puts up 20 points and 20 rebounds, and it says "UConn" on the graphic they flash, that's money in the bank for us.

So here's the thing: the key with one-and-dones is to get only one a year - at most! If you do that, there's a structure of veterans in place around them to make sure the focus is on the team, and not any one player's draft prospects.

And then you win titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog