Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2-3 years ago, I saw a number of major issues facing the program:

1) Aging legendary coach
2) No practice facility
3) Academic and other sanctions
4) Conference realignment

It was scary to be facing all 4 of these things at once - the combination of them had me worried. The first three have been addressed, and in spectacular fashion. Now we just have to hope the 4th takes care of itself eventually.

1) All of sudden, Kevin Ollie is has an accomplished resume. Kids love him. He's a big name.
2) Beautiful facility to open up in a few months
3) Sanctions are done and academics have been addressed. Back up to a full set of schollies and eligible for the tourney.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We are going to be absolutely dominant.
  • Ollie is proving that he's a really good in-game coach
  • Ollie is proving that he can identify under-appreciated talent (Brimah, Samuel)
  • Ollie is proving that he can develop talent over the course of a season
The next step is getting top talent with his classes. And oh - guess what! Purvis and Daniel Hamilton both have "future NBA starter" written all over them.
  • First class: 3 players ranking from 100-150
  • Second class: 4 players ranking from 20-150
  • Third class: 2 players both in top 60 (so far!)
We're going to be obscenely good. People are going to hate us like the Yankees were hated in the late '90s. It will be glorious and I will bathe in their tears.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ollie is a legit, big time coach.

You could see the teaching (coaching) last season. Also in game coaching and game adjustments.

The program is on the right road. Ollie can recruit.

The only thing left is a better conference!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We are going to be absolutely dominant.

• [ ]Ollie is proving that he's a really good in-game coach
    [ ]Ollie is proving that he can identify under-appreciated talent (Brimah, Samuel)
    [ ]Ollie is proving that he can develop talent over the course of a season
The next step is getting top talent with his classes. And oh - guess what! Purvis and Daniel Hamilton both have "future NBA starter" written all over them.

• [ ]First class: 3 players ranking from 100-150
    [ ]Second class: 4 players ranking from 20-150
    [ ]Third class: 2 players both in top 60 (so far!)
We're going to be obscenely good. People are going to hate us like the Yankees were hated in the late '90s. It will be glorious and I will bathe in their tears.

I just want Ollie to be a great coach and run a clean, competitive program I can root for.

I'm not sold on the need for multiple "NBA starters" if they're not also character guys who will stick for a few years. I know I'm in the minority here, but the underachieving Gay/Villanueva teams were not nearly as much fun to watch as the overachievers of '99 and '11.

I have great faith that in a few years Ollie will have made everyone forget about our "issues" from the later JC era.

Reaction Score
I just want Ollie to be a great coach and run a clean, competitive program I can root for.

I'm not sold on the need for multiple "NBA starters" if they're not also character guys who will stick for a few years. I know I'm in the minority here, but the underachieving Gay/Villanueva teams were not nearly as much fun to watch as the overachievers of '99 and '11.

I have great faith that in a few years Ollie will have made everyone forget about our "issues" from the later JC era.

You need NBA players to win National Championships. Melo is the only reason Boeheem finally cut down the nets. It doesn't guarantee you will.. but if you DON'T have that kinda player, it's a whole lot harder.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

CV did help win a championship in 2004. And it's impossible to win them all, talent or no talent. Underachieving teams win less by definition. 1999 We were ranked in the top 2 most of the season! Hardly underachieving. If they didn't make the final, it would have been underachieving. That's revisionist.

The later JC era included one of the most likeable teams in history (2011), and a Final Four in 2009 with a team I thoroughly enjoyed. Ultimately, the underachievement makes the over achievement that much sweeter.

The lesson is that people see what they want to see. If you see it positively, it is. If you see it negatively, it is.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN has very successfully transitioned from their HOF coach to a great young coach who loves this school and program. Let's see the Fruit Flies, LCC, Dook, etc do the same when their days come that they will have to do the same.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
UCONN has very successfully transitioned from their HOF coach to a great young coach who loves this school and program. Let's see the Fruit Flies, LCC, Dook, etc do the same when their days come that they will have to do the same.

Dook will still be good, because the school recruits itself, but the Floo, and the Ville are going to need some work.

Reaction Score

It's tough to do - and UConn has successfully moved from a program that had a great coach to a great program that has had great coaches.

Reaction Score
I'm so excited about the state of the program - it's fun to be a UConn fan. Great young coach, beautiful new facility about to open up, a bunch of kids that are easy to root for because they stuck with the program, upperclassmen earning their degrees, a pipeline of talent lined up for the next two years...

Reaction Score
But guys Providence still thinks we will be irrelevant in 2 years!

And I just want to sneak this in here: next year's won't lose more than 5 games.

Reaction Score
And while I don't follow these things...we apparently have (yet uncommitted) recruits tweeting Kevin Ollie's glory.

Can't you refer me to that tweet. I saw it last night but have been looking for 20 minutes this morning and can't find it. Was it its own thread or hidden in another?

Can anyone direct me where to go to find that. Or just tell me the recruit and what he said. Thanks!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can't you refer me to that tweet. I saw it last night but have been looking for 20 minutes this morning and can't find it. Was it its own thread or hidden in another?

Can anyone direct me where to go to find that. Or just tell me the recruit and what he said. Thanks!

3uconn's thread I think...

I'll check.

Reaction Score
The latter part of the season has been a long promo for KO. During almost every game, announcers have commended him for his NBA career, for his knowledge of the game, coaching and personality. Great image boost for UConn.

Reaction Score

The Amazing job by Ollie thread posted by 3uconn.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
CV did help win a championship in 2004. And it's impossible to win them all, talent or no talent. Underachieving teams win less by definition. 1999 We were ranked in the top 2 most of the season! Hardly underachieving. If they didn't make the final, it would have been underachieving. That's revisionist.

The later JC era included one of the most likeable teams in history (2011), and a Final Four in 2009 with a team I thoroughly enjoyed. Ultimately, the underachievement makes the over achievement that much sweeter.

The lesson is that people see what they want to see. If you see it positively, it is. If you see it negatively, it is.

True, the '99 team was ranked #1 for part of the season. But if you recall, that was also the tourney that earned the moniker "Duke Invitational" until that fateful 77-74 Monday night. Nine and a half point dogs, remember?

As I noted in my previous post, I'd prefer the 3-4 year NBA types to the 1-2 year kind. I'm not disagreeing we need NBA calibre talent, but I'm also confident Ollie can get to the promised land w/o 5-star projected lottery picks while coaching his 3-and-4 stars up. We've done it before.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
True, the '99 team was ranked #1 for part of the season. But if you recall, that was also the tourney that earned the moniker "Duke Invitational" until that fateful 77-74 Monday night. Nine and a half point dogs, remember?

As I noted in my previous post, I'd prefer the 3-4 year NBA types to the 1-2 year kind. I'm not disagreeing we need NBA calibre talent, but I'm also confident Ollie can get to the promised land w/o 5-star projected lottery picks while coaching his 3-and-4 stars up. We've done it before.

Also true, though we've had very few 1-2 year types. Only 4 maybe? Caron, Charlie V, Drummond, and Gay. And I'd take another Caron Butler in a heartbeat! Lamb only stayed two, but came in as a 3 star (or marginal 4), so I wouldn't count that. We've had a bunch of 3 year lottery picks.

Also have to be aware that the landscape in College basketball has changed significantly over the past 10 years.

Reaction Score
Our best teams have been led by stud juniors, which provide a great combination of NBA-caliber talent and enough experience.

1994 - Donyell
1996 - Ray
1999 - Rip
2004 - Emeka and Ben
2006 - MW and Boone
2009 - Thabeet
2011 - Kemba

The teams led by uber-talented freshmen and sophomores have either been a year away (1998, 2003,2005?) or just generally disappointing (2012).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Our best teams have been led by stud juniors, which provide a great combination of NBA-caliber talent and enough experience.

The teams led by uber-talented freshmen and sophomores have either been a year away (1998, 2003,2005?) or just generally disappointing (2012).

This is true, though I'd argue we definitely weren't led by Drummond, he was just a good player on the team. Junior Bazz led that club.

Reaction Score
This is true, though I'd argue we definitely weren't led by Drummond, he was just a good player on the team. Junior Bazz led that club.

You mean sophomore Bazz, alongside sophomore Lamb, freshman Boat, freshman Drummond, sophomore Roscoe, sophomore TO, sophomore Giff, and freshman DD.

Captain Whinypants was the only upperclassman on that team.

Reaction Score
I have a friend who is a very, very knowledgeable basketball fan say to me after the St. Joe's game, "I am not sure that Ollie isn't in over his head."

Last night I got the following text: "Ok, I'm impressed. He's a stud."

Reaction Score

Believe it was Kahaori Beaufort. Not the correct spelling I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Believe it was Kahaori Beaufort. Not the correct spelling I'm sure.
No 3 was referring to a tweet by class of '17 stud Jermaine Samuels. Beaufort won't be getting any D1 offers, he's not that good and he just got arrested.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I remember Duke being overrated as usual.

I think that will be our plan - and the '99 team is a great blueprint. We had two McDonald's All Americans (Rip and Khalid), a pair of top 50 recruits (Ricky and KFree) and a sleeper (Jake).

And then our bench was a hodgepodge of local recruits (Saunders, Rash, EJ) and unknowns (Sou!).

Picture this two years from now:

PG: Samuel (Jr)
SG: Purvis (Jr - RS)
SF: Hamilton (So)
PF: Facey (Jr)
C: Brimah (Jr)

Bench:
PG: Cassell (Jr), Jackson (Fr)
SG: Ali (Fr)
SF: Calhoun (Sr)
PF: Lubin (So), Tolksdorf (Sr)
C: Nolan (Sr), Govan (Fr)

Two McDonald's All-American caliber players in Purvis and Hamilton. A host of top 50-type recruits in Jackson, Ali, Calhoun and Govan (I hope). Unknowns who show to be better than their high school rating (Samuel, Briman, Lubin, Nolan).

It's not a carbon copy, but it's close.

Three more things things:

1. It makes me feel very, very good to look at our 2015-16 roster and realize that 12 of the 13 guys we'll be rooting for are already here, barring an early departure from Purvis (possible) or Hamilton (unlikely).

2. Facey's development over the next 18 months is crucial. The other two freshman have made a leap - he needs to join them and become a dominant rebounder/reliable mid-range shooter

3. Cassell is the x-factor, and I think the scouts did him an injustice. The rankings focus too much on "NBA Athleticism and Size," which he arguably lacks, and ignore things like "understanding mismatches and shot-making," which he excels at (like his dad). He's going to be a GREAT scorer for us, a lot like that kid Galloway was for St. Joe's -- just a kid who was born to put up points in bunches at the college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom