Starting Quarterback | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Reaction Score
I don't want to be negative, but Mora has butchered the QB position so badly since last year.

1) Fagnano never, ever should have started Week 1. Nicky Charlton, all-time bad OC, HAD to get his boy in, and it ruined the season. The fact he's still on the roster is embarrassing.
2) If TR wasn't healthy to start Week 1, how do you not start Zion? I don't care about the kid's numbers, but he is a WINNER. He was a dominant winner in HS and was winning at UConn, which no one had done in a decade. He brought this team to a bowl game. Enough said. The fact that Fagnano was chosen to start over Zion is among the most disrespectful, slap in the face things I've ever seen. If Fagnano was a blue chipper from a P5 school, sure. But he was a mediocre at best QB from FCS Maine. Just an absolute disaster.
3) I don't really care TR had a bad spring. It's practice to quote Allen Iverson. Some guys are gamers and don't preform well in practice. Anyone saying Fagnano or a true freshman should start over TR because of spring ball is stuck in a fantasy land. Is TR the best QB? Of course not. Is he the best QB on the roster before yesterday? Absolutely. By all accounts he was a great ambassador for the program, and to kick him to the curb is another disrespectful move by Mora. Granted, if he was causing problems this spring + his poor play, I'd 180 on this point. But if he got shown the door purely for throwing a few spring picks, that's pretty rash to just chase a shiny new toy, which again hasn't worked out ever for us.
4) Now, we're giving the QB position to 1) a guy who hasn't played in 3 years and was maybe good vs teenagers a half decade ago 2) a guy who wasn't even that good at Maine or 3) a true freshman who hasn't played a single snap at this level. Again, absolute disaster once again. With that said, if Fagnano plays 1 meaningful snap this year, I'm out. I can live with the the other options. There is no way that guy should see a football field at this level other than to hand the ball off or kneel it.

I'm not even going to go into the fact we hired another OC with a very questionable track record at the FCS level so whoever the QB is probably won't even be set up for success, just like the guys were under Charlton.
TR did not have the skill set to get this program to where it needs to be. There's nothing disrespectful about Mora bringing in a new QB that he thinks is better than the others currently on the roster. That's D1 sports. It would be disrespectful to the fanbase for Mora to trot out the same quality that we experienced in previous years. With the landscape of college sports, we need this team to improve fast now. Right now. We can't wait.

If we want to start being taken seriously by the P4, we can't play guys just because they're good people or whatever. We have to acquire the best talent we can, and play the best players.

Bottom line, TR was not good enough. We know that for a fact after watching last season. Mora did the right thing and found someone else that may be better. Maybe he won't be, but he had to try something else, we're in do or die mode right now. We don't have time to wait around.

Reaction Score
If Roberson is terrible, what do you call Fagnano? Instead, we're stuck with a known bad QB or an unproven QB. Either way, not good. TRob high floor but probably a low ceiling, sure. Fagnano low floor and low ceiling. Evers low floor, high ceiling. We are swinging for the fences here instead of stringing together singles. Dangerous game. Not saying it won't work out, but it's a high risk, high reward situation. The program cannot afford to strike out and it increased its chances on doing so.

EDIT: We hadn't had a 2,000 yard passer with double digit TDs and a 2:1 TD:INT rate since 2017. But he's terrible.
Roberson was serviceable.

Unfortunately we didn’t just write Evers a NIL check to ride the pine. He will get his shot barring injury or if he dramatically worse than the other three.

I think we needed an upgrade at QB on the short term. Just not yet convinced this is the guy. But if we can’t get the guy then we turn to McDonald/Welliver.

If Evers doesn’t work out the NIL spigot will be turned off and he can transfer again.

Reaction Score
How do you start Roberson to begin with? The man was terrible.
TR did not have the skill set to get this program to where it needs to be. There's nothing disrespectful about Mora bringing in a new QB that he thinks is better than the others currently on the roster. That's D1 sports. It would be disrespectful to the fanbase for Mora to trot out the same quality that we experienced in previous years. With the landscape of college sports, we need this team to improve fast now. Right now. We can't wait.

If we want to start being taken seriously by the P4, we can't play guys just because they're good people or whatever. We have to acquire the best talent we can, and play the best players.

Bottom line, TR was not good enough. We know that for a fact after watching last season. Mora did the right thing and found someone else that may be better. Maybe he won't be, but he had to try something else, we're in do or die mode right now. We don't have time to wait around.
The disrespect is inexcusable. Here are the QBs in UConn's D1 history with 2,000+ yards, 10+ TDs and a 2:1 or better TD:INT ratio:

YearNameYardsTDINT
2023​
Roberson
2,075​
12​
6​
2017​
Shirrefs
2,287​
14​
5​
2007​
Lorenzen
2,367​
13​
6​
2003​
Orlovsky
3,485​
33​
14​

You can say TR isn't good enough. But then you better bring in someone who you know is better. Evers could be better. But we don't know. If Evers throws for 1900 yards 9 TDs and 12 INTs, then what?

Oh, and TR did this with a joke of an OC...

Reaction Score
Mora presumably didn't pull Roberson's scholarship, he recruited another player to compete for the position. Roberson (it appears) decided to leave and not compete. So I don't understand how Mora is faulted here at all (and I have been a Roberson supporter).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think if we stopped and looked at the QB battle process throughout FBS football we would see this exact sort of thing happening everywhere whether its a winning, middling and losing program. The hunt for a + QB never ends.

Evers will get his opportunity, then we have Fagnano, McDonald and Weliver should he blow it. I'm fine with swinging for the higher upside. For fall 2024 we need to take the chance with CRA looming over us.

Reaction Score
Mora presumably didn't pull Roberson's scholarship, he recruited another player to compete for the position. Roberson (it appears) decided to leave and not compete. So I don't understand how Mora is faulted here at all (and I have been a Roberson supporter).
Mora has every right to run the program as he sees fit. He did Roberson right on letting him leave before the portal closed. Nothing bad to say about Mora with how he handled the situation.

What I don't like is swinging for the fences with a dude that has played 1 snap at high level programs and clearly wasn't good enough at that level. So we're taking another man's trash and hoping its treasure. How many QBs were good in HS and not good at the college level?

If he came in to compete with TRob, I would be ecstatic. But to kick TRob to the curb over a guy with Evers' resume is not safe. I of course hope it works out, but I think we have every right to be critical. If it was Fagnano, not TR, who got the boot, even better. Our backup options after Evers are dire.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard from a guy I know who scouted him for an FCS program that he is really talented. Good arm. Runs well. Really bright kid. Recruited by a few Ivies as well as Rutgers and a few other D1 programs. I don’t think it is impossible that he would have a shot.
Tucker will absolutely be in the running for the starter job. Many here are secretly hoping he wins the job. He has a big arm and runs very well!

Reaction Score
I think if we stopped and looked at the QB battle process throughout FBS football we would see this exact sort of thing happening everywhere whether its a winning, middling and losing program. The hunt for a + QB never ends.

Evers will get his opportunity, then we have Fagnano, McDonald and Weliver should he blow it. I'm fine with swinging for the higher upside. For fall 2024 we need to take the chance with CRA looming over us.

This is Mora’s gambit. It’s his ass if it doesn’t pan out.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What if you viewed the QB room before Evers as three guys that have a ceiling of winning 7 games and one promising freshman that you is just too new for any type of win forecast.

And then what if you could get a talent that physically has the traits of a 9 or 10 game winner, but it will cost you one of your three 7 game winners. I think you take that opportunity every time as a staff.

If Evers is a bust, you fall right back into a couple guys that might not really be any different from an overall win achievement/max output level.

This might have been a more difficult choice if Fagnano and McDonald played poorly this spring. I suppose it would be one of those two walking instead.

Reaction Score
What if you viewed the QB room before Evers as three guys that have a ceiling of winning 7 games and one promising freshman that you is just too new for any type of win forecast.

And then what if you could get a talent that physically has the traits of a 9 or 10 game winner, but it will cost you one of your three 7 game winners. I think you take that opportunity every time as a staff.

If Evers is a bust, you fall right back into a couple guys that might not really be any different from an overall win achievement/max output level.

This might have been a more difficult choice if Fagnano and McDonald played poorly this spring. I suppose it would be one of those two walking instead.

I agree with this. I just think we're in hail mary territory right now. Mora can't settle and hope for the best, he needs to take chances and swing for the fences. This program isn't in a place where we're going to attract a proven starting caliber QB. The only option is to roll with mediocre at best QBs or take a chance on a guy with a high ceiling but is unproven at the college level.

Reaction Score
The disrespect is inexcusable. Here are the QBs in UConn's D1 history with 2,000+ yards, 10+ TDs and a 2:1 or better TD:INT ratio:

YearNameYardsTDINT
2023​
Roberson
2,075​
12​
6​
2017​
Shirrefs
2,287​
14​
5​
2007​
Lorenzen
2,367​
13​
6​
2003​
Orlovsky
3,485​
33​
14​

You can say TR isn't good enough. But then you better bring in someone who you know is better. Evers could be better. But we don't know. If Evers throws for 1900 yards 9 TDs and 12 INTs, then what?

4 of those TDs came against a terrible Sacred Heart squad. He could have stayed and competed. Fagnano was done for the season 6 quarters in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're stuck with a known bad QB or an unproven QB....

OK, who votes for unproven QB?
the sandlot agree GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
If he came in to compete with TRob, I would be ecstatic. But to kick TRob to the curb over a guy with Evers' resume is not safe. I of course hope it works out, but I think we have every right to be critical. If it was Fagnano, not TR, who got the boot, even better.
Did anyone actually get the boot, or did TRob just see the writing on the wall? I suspect that it's the latter.

I agree with you that I would rather have Roberson than Fagnano in the quarterback room. That said, I haven't been watching them both all through spring practices.

Reaction Score
Did anyone actually get the boot, or did TRob just see the writing on the wall? I suspect that it's the latter.

I agree with you that I would rather have Roberson than Fagnano in the quarterback room. That said, I haven't been watching them both all through spring practices.
I'm pretty sure Mora told TRob that Evers was coming and by the sounds of it is a lock for QB1. Ever dad posted he has the "keys" so I don't think TRob would have even been given an opportunity to compete for QB1.

Props to Mora for letting TRob leave and not be stuck as QB2.

Reaction Score

YearNameYardsTDINT
2023​
Roberson
2,075​
12​
6​
2017​
Shirrefs
2,287​
14​
5​
2007​
Lorenzen
2,367​
13​
6​
2003​
Orlovsky
3,485​
33​
14​

1 TD a game is very impressive. Almost as impressive as his decision making

Reaction Score
4 of those TDs came against a terrible Sacred Heart squad. He could have stayed and competed. Fagnano was done for the season 6 quarters in.
Fagnano was mediocre to bad at Maine, can we stop this nonsense? He was only brought in because he knew the (terrible) offense from our (terrible) OC. The kid should have stayed at the FCS level where he belongs.

Fagnano probably throws for maybe 2 vs Sacred Heart. No chance he throws for 5 thats for sure!

Reaction Score
What do we have to lose besides more games? Give the freshman the rock if he can make it happen.

Thats how it should be all season. Just like with Hurley. If a kids hot, let him ball. No starting position should be safe throughout the year.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Mora told TRob that Evers was coming and by the sounds of it is a lock for QB1. Ever dad posted he has the "keys" so I don't think TRob would have even been given an opportunity to compete for QB1.

He wasn’t QB2 he was demoted to Qb3 after spring

CL82

Reaction Score

I don't think Mora could have stopped TR if he wanted to.

The way I envision this unfolding is Mora explaining to TRob what he needed to be able to do consistently to win the QB1 job. I suspect that conversation has happened over a number of months and TRob wasn't able to get it done. it happens. As an athlete all you really asked for is the opportunity to compete. Nothing is guaranteed.

Similarly, Evers is going to have to be able to win the starting job by beating out everyone else in the quarterback room. His measureables may lead everybody to believe that that's likely, but still, he's going to have to get it done.

Reaction Score
He could’ve stayed, but wanted no part in keeping the bench warm for Evers. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Reaction Score
How many games did he play last year? Don’t think it was 12.
10.5. And I am not really sure you can count the Tennessee body bag game against him. so really 12 TDs in 9.5 games, would take that again if given the oppurtunity.

Reaction Score
Along with the horrid play calling, how many times did Roberson hit our receivers square in the hands and they just dropped it? I truly believe TR did his job, and decently well last year. Sure he was rusty since he had only played a handful of meaningful snaps in college prior to his injury in 2022. Would have loved to see what he can do this year with some added fire power on the offensive end and a new OC.

Reaction Score
Fagnano was mediocre to bad at Maine, can we stop this nonsense? He was only brought in because he knew the (terrible) offense from our (terrible) OC. The kid should have stayed at the FCS level where he belongs.

Fagnano probably throws for maybe 2 vs Sacred Heart. No chance he throws for 5 thats for sure!
Here are Fagnano's stats at Maine:

59.7% completion percentage, 5,655 yards passing (209 yards per game), 46 TDs, 12 Int.

His best year was his freshman year (played 8 games) then there was COVID (Maine played 4 games), injury in 2021 (played 4 games), and 2022 (Maine was 2-9 and first year without Charlton).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom